Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An explanation

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 8:03

The negativity on HT lately is quite shocking. People seem to pick a side and attack who they see as the opposition with any attempt at reasoned discussion going out the window. Then I read this* about the way Obama and Romney are running their election campaign and I think it explains it

*"Looking through a series of negative ads, the first thing that strikes me is that almost without exception they're nasty, passive aggressive, mean-spirited and only partially true - yet they're the centre piece of modern US elections."

John Terret

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An explanation

That's what one can expect when PAC's are able to spend limitless amounts of money AND the candidate cannot directly control the message. It's going to get a lot worse.

o

I read a blog yesterday (can't find it now) that said that neither man wants to take a stand on how they would fix the economy because the other side will rip it apart. So they do nothing but attack each other. And the people in November will be left with an elected official who didn't commit to anything and the people that didn't vote for him will have learned to hate the guy that got elected.

A sad state of affairs, indeed.

o

As long as were near the ice berg why not get closer & take some snapshots.

o

Just be thankful that you don't live in a 'swing state' where - literally - hundreds of millions are being spent on incessant TV attack ads. Every single commercial break, we get at least one ad.

For the coverage of the Olympics, its only every other commercial break, because all that endorsement money was lined up long ago.

o

David, others don't know the half of it, do they? I'm numb to the ads now. When you see one one or two times, you may watch, but it's just white noise after that.

o

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 9:11

As long as were near the ice berg why not get closer & take some snapshots.

Oh, that was priceless.

I truly am laughing out loud, but not falling on the floor as there are arms on the chair.

o

The ad that runs incessantly on cable here is Romney singing "American the Beautiful.

With all his money, couldn't he afford a bucket to carry that tune in?

o

I don't think I've seen one ad... but then, we rarely watch mainstream tv.

o

One of the benefits of not having a television.

I may know less than a pile of rocks about popular TV culture, but I'm also spared a lot of frustration during presidential campaigns.

o
RE: Dulcet toned response

Just catching up on reading news reports: Rick Gorka, Romney's traveling press secretary, told reporters, "Kiss my ass, this is a holy site for the Polish people. Show some respect."

WaPo, CNN, and the NYT reporters should know better than to shout questions from behind a rope line at Poland's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. What should Gorka have known?

o

Gorka should have taken a deep breath and counted to 10
of course.

I'm just glad it wasn't Mitt that said it!!!!!

o

He has said far worse.

o

The funny thing about Gorka's comment is that he would say that first thing and then end it with "show some respect". As if he didn't just violate it right then.

o

""The funny thing about Gorka's comment is that he would say that first thing and then end it with "show some respect". As if he didn't just violate it right then.""

Exactly! These things are just so lost on them.

Sea

o

My point exactly in what was probably regarded as rhetorical: What should Gorka have known?

o

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 16:53

"The funny thing about Gorka's comment is that he would say that first thing and then end it with "show some respect". As if he didn't just violate it right then."

Well, duh. I think he said it just that way, on purpose, in a pretty poor attempt to be humorous.

He was not clueless, just boorish.
IMO.

o

The ad that runs incessantly on cable here is Romney singing "American the Beautiful.

Same here. And you're right-- he shouldn't give up his day job. But I think the add says more about Obama than Romney. Obama sees fit to ridicule someone singing a patriotic song? That's about typical. If it was about all the text that they flash throughout the commercial, then they could've gone with that. But they decided to do it while he was singing that song. To me, very telling.

o

Bill, its the contrast between the two. That's the hook.

Plus who campaigns by singing like that? He sang at every campaign stop performing awkwardly by himself for numerous verses pretending to be recalling the phrases. If he had sung with the audience that would be different but he just performed this weird awkward schtick at every whistle stop. Most people think he did it simply to fill the space where his speeches and personality fell short.

o

Bill, its the contrast between the two. That's the hook.

Touche.

o

KT..I agree . The ad plays here all the time and it's just plain weird. Who sings solo like that in front of people when you can't carry a tune? I personally love the commercial and the words flashing on the screen.

o

Well, duh. I think he said it just that way, on purpose, in a pretty poor attempt to be humorous.

If you actually hear the audio clip of him you would not say that.

Here is a link that might be useful: This has the audio

o

The Republican National Committee and some right wing PAC are currently running, every commercial break, a one-two punch attack on the stimulus.

Meanwhile, the Obama campaign has a woman talking about Romney and woman's health issues.

And the local stations are laughing all the way to the bank.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 11:05

Normally nearly all of the political ads make me cringe but the singing Romney one makes me laugh every single time, esp when he hits the fruited plains.

o

I guess that one isn't playing here. Yet.

o

I noted that before, vgkg - the hard hit "t" drives me nuts. Don't know if that's a speech thing, like a shibboleth or any other defined pattern.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here