Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One Good Thing from Zimmerman Case

Posted by jannie z7 LI NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 8:26

Is we aren't going to be hearing about Paula Deen anymore. I hope.

This post was edited by jannie on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 8:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One Good Thing from Zimmerman Case

Wrong. She was on the news this morning. I wish you were right. Rumor is, she's being offered a reality show. There's a reality I never want to see. I really wish you were right.

o

And you have Honey Boo Boo to round out your viewing pleasure...

o

Before the media explosion, I didn't even know who the heck she was. I travel in a whole different circle when it comes to foods, preferring to eat organically and healthy.

Though, once court depositions were brought to light, containing charges of racist and sexist behaviors against her employees, allegedly committed by the brother and allowed to occur by Ms. Deen, herself... it became more apparent who she was, and why I'd never heard of her...

I wouldn't be able to stomach such language and behavior in the workplace, and I'd not sit idly by, either, while my fellow workers were treated in such a manner.

From the last news report I read, her little kingdom is on clearance... but if that's the way she runs a business and allows her executives to behave toward other employees, I say good riddance.

Personally, I don't understand why racism still exists. But it's very apparent that it does still exist... and what's more, it would appear that media and those who control it want racism to be a matter of contention, a diversion within our society.

o

I don't know why bringing up not talking about Paula Deen is considered a "good thing" coming out of the Zimmerman case. If anything, mentioning her in the same thread merely illustrates the links we automatically make between them.

o

Very true, Pidge... and it also illustrates how we let the media guide us...

Where has real journalism gone? How is it that society is more attracted to the Paula Deens and Honey Boo Boos than to the real issues that matter... like our environment, energy, runaway government spending, war we don't need to fight, etc?

I wouldn't watch a reality show on Deen if you paid me... and the same goes for Honey Boo Boo.

o

I wouldn't watch a reality show on Deen if you paid me... and the same goes for Honey Boo Boo.

Well, what if the money was enough to buy health insurance?

o

I suppose if a bomb goes off and kills people then it is a good thing because it will distract us from talking about Zimmerman?

Huh?

o

And once Zimmerman has been "talked" beyond the point where everything has been said soooo many times in soooo many ways, what's left? Is Anderson Cooper going to be making documentaries on any of the civil suits that may ensue? Is our "again gone" poster who showed up to call us names and to tell us of his internet investigator's degree working on an angle thus far overlooked?

The Paula Deens and Honey Boo Boos of the TV reality world all end up in the dust bin of TV history despite the seemingly insatiable appetite for discussing "them" and how wonderful it is we're not like "them". For all the protesting - never heard of; couldn't care less; have read enough to discuss though... I guess we shouldn't worry that cable TV doesn't have a big docket to capture our feigned disinterest and attention.

The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy that didn't need to happen. That's my main takeaway. But I couldn't watch the continuous coverage and wasn't on the jury - got most information, good, bad, or indifferent from HT - so my own freely admitted depth on this is somewhere in the shallow end.

o

"The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy that didn't need to happen."

Exactly.

While I didn't get my information from HT on this, neither did I sit glued to any television news or trial happenings, preferring to gather the facts from a variety of sources so as to draw an informed conclusion from what was presented.

I dislike the media's tact of using the dirtiest, bloodiest, or the oddest laundry to attract an audience... playing to the public's thirst for this type of thing...

I don't care for reality shows based upon things I either have no interest in, or do nothing but make others look foolish.

There are a lot of much more interesting things to watch, if watching tv is something one wants to do. I'd rather learn about nature, or our environment, or history... or watch a good fictional movie... if I watch anything.

o

Paula Deen was always a Southerner caricature, and there is no way I'd watch that faked geniality with all the y'alls and GROSSLY prepared food. Call me a northeast elitist, I don't care. The South sure hasn't had much good PR recently. .

o

I take it you don't watch Duck Dynasty either lol?

o

And once Zimmerman has been "talked" beyond the point where everything has been said soooo many times in soooo many ways, what's left?

It is fine that you personally find the case boring. However, you cannot minimize the importance of this case which is and will remain consequential beyond the immediate parties and their families for a long time to come. The case involves gun rights and profiling, not only by Zimmerman but by his attorneys at trial. The manner in which the case was tried by OMeara and West was disgusting and in Don West's case, despicable. They threw down the race card and appealed to the worst instincts of a Southern jury with the snide cross examination of Trayvon's female friend and the pictures of Trayvon Martin suggesting that he was a black thug, capable of garnering enough hate to want to kill George Zimmerman.

The verdict was an injustice served up by a Southern jury against a 17 year old black teen who was gunned down in cold blood by a hyped up, overzealous creep. That is the azzhole that ended up getting away with it by simply fabricating an absurd and unbelievable self defense.

o

What the heck does a "Southern" jury have to do with anything? The Civil War ended well over 100 yrs ago. There are far more black people living in the south than in the north. There are far more black mayors, police chiefs, councilpersons in the south than in the north. You sound like what you always accuse others of being.

o

This thread is a perfect example of the problem with getting your news from the TV ... "the news" is just an excuse for "entertain me".

o

Good news for all those Honey Boo Boo fans! Your can now watch and smell the show!

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Boo Boo smell o vision

o

heri, this is just for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thank you for conceding that my interest in the Zimmerman case is fine with you. However, validation I don't need or seek. I don't minimize Trayvon's senseless loss of life and the ramifications it'll have down the line. I simply could not/would not devote my time to "all Zimmerman all the time".

Consequently, I participated very little to the threads on this topic. That's only fair since I see no point in weighing in just to weigh in - and that's true for any topic where I'm not up to some speed.

o

Say what? I'm agreeing that the killing was completely senseless... and that's all.

We're all entitled to say our piece and give our opinions...

o

Wasn't referring to you, Jodi - but to heri this date at 12:13. A few posters got in between.

And yes, we can all freely give our opinions, even me. I'm not oblivious to the social and economic conditions that "force" people into criminal activities, but I find it hard to think it's okay just because many of these miscreants are merely on the low end of the chain. My feelings would be so much more warm and fuzzy if some of the local drug money - the cut that these people do actually get - went to support (educate, clothe, feed) the children and families they purport to love.

o

What the heck does a "Southern" jury have to do with anything? The Civil War ended well over 100 yrs ago. There are far more black people living in the south than in the north. There are far more black mayors, police chiefs, councilpersons in the south than in the north. You sound like what you always accuse others of being.

You want to engage in a broader discussion of race and falsely accuse me of reverse racism. I am not going there.
Stick with the topic and don't make it personal.
As far as the Southern jury, yes, I do believe that racial attitudes in the South generally differ from those in the North. The Civil War ended but attitudes about race did not end there.

In this case it was Zimmerman's attorneys who tried to make Trayvon's female friend look like she was an alien being in order to discredit. They put up the picture of Trayvon with the gold grille insert in his teeth to portray a racial stereotype in their final argument. They threw down the race card in front of a Southern jury and that tactic was not challenged by the Prosecutors.

o

You're right about that mrsK. Never have watched Duck Dynasty either. I have no idea what it's about, but at the gym beside the CNN monitor is the set with network carrying this show. Never flipped over, just saw a bunch of gross looking bearded men with guns. The five minutes watching the Boo BOO clan last year(and now with smell-a -vision ..yuck) is about all I can ever take of southern culture.

o

Unless you're part of the upper tier, I don't think there's that much money to be made in the drug trade... it's a matter of constantly putting more money in to get more product so you can make a profit... all while staying one step ahead of the law. I imagine that's no easy feat.

What I'd like to see is the legalization of drugs... which would change the landscape of our law enforcement, prison and justice systems. People will use drugs whether they're legal or not... why not take the violence out of the equation?

o

"I do believe that racial attitudes in the South generally differ from those in the North."

Someone agrees with you.

"“I think the people from Mississippi ought to come to Chicago to learn how to hate.”

Hay

o

Is that quote about 50 years old?

o

Legalizing marijuana is something I don't have any issues with - that alone would clear up the court systems and free up a lot of jail space. Legalizing the hard drugs - meth, heroin, I'm not so sure. No one wants to envision meth labs in every neighborhood. Nor am I sure on the already legal, but barely, synthetics which have a large user base here. Big business for our head shop as well as for the emergency rooms.

But legalizing or decriminalizing things (marijuana notwithstanding) simply because people are determined to do them anyway doesn't seem to be the best solution. People do a lot of things.

o

"Is that quote about 50 years old?"

Yes, about 50 years ago.

These young men would now be about the same age as I'm guessing Heri is right now. Those "old white men" we're always hearing about around here.

What is it with those white pointy hats?

Where are they now? They all move South, you figure? Winters in Chicago can be pretty harsh.

Hay

o

Well, they don't call them "dunce caps" for nothing, hay.

o

Sure Hay, it is those damned inner City blacks living in poverty that just don't like whites moving into their fine neighborhoods and taking all the primo jobs there. And God forbid that preference is given for admissions into a law school when there have been almost no minority graduates and an almost solid white judiciary sentencing an overwhelming percentage of black men to prison.
(my example just generally recalling that Supreme Court case on quotas in admission policy at the Mich Law School from about 10 years ago)

Where are they now. They are in the Republican party here in Illinois. As far as your images of white people being racist from 50 years ago, I am not sure what your point is. If you are stating that racism exists all over the country and has for decades, I agree, and in fact, I can cite some KKK rallies that took place in Chicago back then. The thing is that racial animus still is for the most part, Southern cooking (sorry Paula and Bubba).

mrsk:
The Civil War did end over 100 years ago as you said. That is why we now call the stubborn adherents known as the "Neo-Confederates." Then of course we have the Rebel flag waving NASCAR fans, the rednecks, teabaggers, Rand Paul t shirt wearers, and of course those enthusiastic Palin supporters. Lets just call all of them "Right Wing Republicans."
National maps of the last several Presidential election results demonstrate that there isn't a whole lot difference between where they were back in the Confederacy's glory days.

Predicted (2012) electoral map without toss-up states, and only the states that were in existence in 1861:

Map of the States in 1861, colored for their position on slavery:

Embrace that reality or reject it, but don't just deny it.

Here is a link that might be useful: The South was and still is

This post was edited by heri_cles on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 17:40

o

"1861?

Dance night. I gotta run. How long ago was that, Frank?

Hay

o

mrs kjun said over a hundred years.
Have nice evening Hay and don't talk politics there.
You may not be as popular as a dance partner.

o

""1861?
Dance night. I gotta run. How long ago was that, Frank?

Hay"

Is this a quiz?

o

Watching both sides of this discussion on various sites, has broken another little part of me. How many decades before all are viewed as human beings first.

Quote:
Zimmerman's attorneys who tried to make Trayvon's female friend look like she was an alien being in order to discredit. They put up the picture of Trayvon with the gold grille insert in his teeth to portray a racial stereotype in their final argument.

The various 'ideas' of what this young man was and looked like keeps popping up. Though I don't judge books by their covers, I admit the talk did up my curiosity. That itself is sad, but it happens. When I ran across a link to a photo of his dead body where it lay after being shot, I did click the link. Seems in bad taste, yet surprisingly, to me, it does tell more than words have so far.

To me, it really shows what a child he still was, and so clean and neat. NOT what so many are trying to portray. Looks like any young man this age, going about a regular evening. So here's the link, for any of you that are interested.

DO NOT click link without hearing my warning...

this is a dead body.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://gawker.com/this-courtesy-of-msnbc-is-trayvon-martins-dead-body-753370712

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 21:13

The one with the gun - an adult - shot and killed the one without a gun - or any other weapon - and who was 19 years old. End of story.

o

"The verdict was an injustice served up by a Southern jury against a 17 year old black teen who was gunned down in cold blood by a hyped up, overzealous creep. That is the azzhole that ended up getting away with it by simply fabricating an absurd and unbelievable self defense."

Putting your degree to good use heri. (The one from the Jesse/Al school of . . .well, you know)

I didn't find self defense unbelievable.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 23:49

Self defense? Against what?

Gun vs no gun = no contest. That's why people like Zimmerman carry them around.

o

The picture is very sad to see. Just a regular clean cut looking kid who went to the store for a snack. Somehow he doesn't look like the pseudo photos the right is putting out there.

o

"Putting your degree to good use heri. (The one from the Jesse/Al school of . . .well, you know)"

And I'll bet you don't think there is any racist component to that comment.

o

No. Theirs' is a school of racism. Blame the white man, hate the white man, blah blah blah. I'm not the racist in this scenario.

o

Well, october, you are at least consistent in your endless insults to African Americans. And in your belief that nothing you say could ever be construed as racist. Carry on.

o

Wow.

Racists in Illinois!

White Pointy Hat Wearing Racists, at that !

o

I have lived in a lot of different states and I am here to tell you racism is everywhere-the worst race riots in America were those in Boston-but I am not implying by that, that the people of Boston are any more racist than anyone else though. Race is more in your face all the time in the South and the South certainly earned that position since you cant get around the fighting a war to keep a big part of the population enslaved. I think the Southern bigot thing is like this OP-it distracts people from looking at their own issues as in we will probably have an end to the Paula Deen 24/7 cycle in favor of the Zimmerman case cycle until the next breathless reporting 24/7 of what ever it is our media takes up as the cause celeb. The pity is we never seem to learn a thing. Can we at least learn that when boys get shot by wannabe cops on the way home from the store we should be getting rid of SYG laws?

o

I was glancing at an article about finding the body of a potential witness against the mobster, Bulger, in Boston, a northern city. A man named Rakes, a potential witness against Bulger, was found dead yesterday.

A little trivia emeged: That's Rakes' brother, the one with the flag, using the American flag to attack the Black man who just happened to come along at the wrong time.

"People immediately understood it,
and it became a symbol of all the worst kinds of racial hatred imaginable and proof that the civil rights movement of the 1960s hadn't achieved all its goals.

Why was the location so important?

The fact that the North had always been so smug about its own racial history, that it always viewed segregation and racial hatred as a southern phenomenon. This photo helped show that it was not just a southern phenomenon but an American phenomenon. The notion that Boston, the cradle of liberty, could be like Birmingham, Alabama, came as a shock, especially by 1976 when many people assumed that there had been victory for the civil rights movement. The image doesn't invent the idea that Boston was a racist city; it crystallizes and epitomizes it."

April 5, 1976.

(For Frank: 12 years after the Civil Rights Act, about 37 years ago.)

Hay

o

I, too, have lived or traveled all over this vast nation at one time or another, and it's more than apparent that racism lives on. It's more "in your face" in certain areas, more covert in others, but it is alive and doing well all across America.

No, we don't learn from past mistakes, do we? And we allow ourselves to be influenced by media, or by other sources... so that division remains alive and well, thriving just about everywhere.

If I didn't know better, I would swear that some of it is contrived just as a diversion... to keep America eating itself alive, corroding like a leaking battery, while certain groups continue their global plundering and pillaging...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here