Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zimmerman's Future

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 8:28

From Alex Fraser, posted on Facebook.

Dear George Zimmerman,

For the rest of your life you are now going to feel what its like to be a black man in America.

You will feel people stare at you. Judging you for what you think are unfair reasons. You will lose out on getting jobs for something you feel is outside of your control. You will believe yourself to be an upstanding citizen and wonder why people choose to not see that.

People will cross the street when they see you coming. They will call you hurtful names. It will drive you so insane some days that you'll want to scream at the top of your lungs. But you will have to wake up the next day, put on firm look and push through life.

I bet you never thought that by shooting a black male you'd end up inheriting all of his struggles.

Enjoy your "freedom."

Sincerely,

A black male who could've been Trayvon Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zimmerman's Future

Please, let's give up this obsession with this terrible affair. How many threads on Zimmerman do we need?

o

But marshall, you aren't thinking about the IRS, NSA, tapping reporters phone lines are you?

o

I thought you were a libertarian let posters post what they wish! I've pretty much stayed out of these threads!

o

Only shows that you are smarter than me labrea lol.

o

I posted that very same statement in one of the other threads, Mom... a short message written by an African American that aptly describes how it feels to be someone like Trayvon, and how the tables have been turned...

o

Please, let's give up this obsession with this terrible affair.

Sure, let's not obsess over things we may find unpleasant to think or talk about.

o

I think we ought to obsess over bad laws like SYG and the racism that allows them to be used against unarmed African American teenagers.

o

Looks like Mr. Zimmerman is going to be treated just like a child with disabilities and special needs.

o

Not to be argumentative pidge. But SYG was not part of the defense of Zimmerman. Self defense was the argument, and they never used SYG. So even if it is a law that we feel should be overturned, it would be necessary to find a case where it was used as a defense.

o

I did not say that it was, mrsk, though the Cooper interview with a juror indicates that it was mentioned and perhaps considered while deliberations were going on. It's a very bad law and it does allow for gross injustice.

edited for yet another typo/spelling error.

This post was edited by pidge on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 9:00

o

I believe Pidge's idea has merit, as the SYG law was the most probable reason, others notwithstanding, why no charges were filed against Zimmerman for so long after the incident... and, there are two threads on this very issue, which would seem to indicate that it played a role.

o

I doubt syg had anything to do with trying to save his own life. That was merely his defense as a first after thought. As one who has had to take action with an arm, numerous times, there is only the thought of self preservation in ones mind. After the fact many things go thru the mind. You just don't go around thinking of laws, of any kind. When you are assaulted, you either take action or take the chance of death or injury.

o

Again, there is only Zimmerman's self-serving story that he was the one being assaulted and not the assaulter.

I don't know anyone that has had to take action with an "arm" one time , forget numerous times. I wonder if someone carrying a weapon is more apt to use it in a situation where it really isn't necessary.

Like in Zimmerman's case. Weak man, big gun. Dead innocent teenage.

~Ann

o

There are simply too many loose ends to this case... and too many coincidences within the bigger picture of Florida's justice system... making the whole thing look almost like a setup from the beginning. If I didn't know better... I would think some things rather contrived.

o

How could anyone buy the story that Mr. Vigilante was in fear for his life? He was the stalker. He was armed, not 'the other guy'. He's the dude who ignored the watch policies and the direction to stop following. He was pursuing some heroic agenda in his head. His LIFE wasn't in danger. He *might* have gotten a good beating for *his* threatening actions, but since he had a gun...he killed his 'prey'.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 13:05

I trust, FF, that when you are out, armed, you are not looking for people to assault. That is what Mr. Zimmerman was apparently doing, on his "volunteer" neighborhood watch, when he threatened and then murdered Travyon Martin.

The only person who's life was in danger that night was the young man who was killed. Zimmerman could have, and should have, walked away. Sounds like he had an itchy trigger finger.

Because of his notoriety, he will probably regret his actions for the rest of his life.

o

In FF' s defense, he fought in Viet Nam and I can only hope that it was this situation he was referring to when he made that statement.
I believe it is entirely possible that, in surrounding himself with supporters, Zimmerman might never feel responsible for that kid's death, even if perhaps he told a pack of privately self acknowledged lies ( because the punk deserved it etc etc)
I also believe it entirely possible that after this dies down and we, along with the rest of the country, are off to the next totally awful occurence which divides us according to our political preference, Zimmerman will do fairly well due to enthusiastic supporters who may feel it necessary to help him out for a time in order to " put their money where their mouth was" mindset. And then Z might be fine.
Of course, if he is no more than a general screw up in life, he will eventually use up jobs and favors that come from such good will.
But I believe that, if he lives in a sympathetic state such as his own, and he perhaps lays low, surrounding himself with a sympathetic neighborhood setting in perhaps Fla. - he might end up back in his old life and not at all ruined.

His case is not like Casey Anthony's, where people - including those on this forum, had a lot to say about how bad the jury decision was - without a lot of argument about " thank goodness you arent a juror" type of response.
Anthony had very little sympathy from anyone, most especially those in this forum along with those in her own community or country.
Z does.

But if he was essentially a screw up in his old life, that personality trait is unlikely to change. He is not a barely 17 yo kid anymore, in the learning and maturing phase in his life where screw ups are to be expected.
Z had his own chance to live out the learning and maturing phase of his own life - he passed through that phase long ago. Now he is essentially what it is he turned out to be, what it is he was to become when he grew up.

o

Assuming the amounts mentioned re the settlement - approx $ 1.5 million - between Martin's parents and the home owners association for wrongful death, my guess is that home owners associations all over the country are going to think twice about having volunteer neighborhood watch people who carry guns.

o

I have never heard of any association which allowed a gun on the watch person. It would be interesting to know how many organized homeowner association their are and how many of those allow firearms to be carried, even if the watch person elected has a permit to carry. The one I was living in did not allow a carry under any circumstances at all. Only a cellphone was allowed and only persons elected by the association were allowed to patrol. All that, including the refusal to allow to carry despite a carry permit in this blood red state.

But then, wasnt Z a self appointed hunter of suspicious punks rather than an elected one? Perhaps Im confused on that point, I never did delve into much of the details of the background of either party involved, living or killed, and have picked up snatches of info which might be completely incorrect. I dont even know what Zimmerman 's employment was at the time of the killing.

o

I suspect that the home owners assoc had no idea their "Neighborhood Watch Coordinator" was packin' heat.

Which is why they settled so quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I am fairly certain it was said that there was no official capacity in which Zimmerman was operating... but even so, it's unusual for a neighborhood watch to patrol fully armed, locked and loaded like that.

Cell phones or walkie talkies, pepper spray... these are the only items I've ever heard of a neighborhood watch carrying.

o

It really does not matter. I said when the trial started.....It did not matter what the verdict was his life would never be the same. I hope he enjoyed pulling the trigger because it will the most joy he is going to have the rest of his life.

His brother is saying he will be looking over his shoulder the rest of his life. Getting employment will be impossible. What company wants the liability with his history? He wanted to be a cop. Lots of luck with that dream. He will not be able to get a rent a cop job.

I would not want that life. Living off your wife and family. I guess he will continue to eat his self to death which looks like what he was doing judging from the way he looked at the trial.

His days of having fun running around playing robo cop are over.

Actually finding him innocent is a more severe punishment than a guilty verdict.

In jail or out of jail the bars will be around him. He will always be guilty of killing.

o

Wonder which ins co the homeowners assoc has. Interesting settlement.

"Again, there is only Zimmerman's self-serving story that he was the one being assaulted and not the assaulter."

I think the 17 yo's girl friend's testimony/post trial statements back up Zim story. Also, there were neighborhood witnesses who say Zim was on the bottom being pummeled. But, we won't mention that. Or, they are lying. Or they couldn't see. Or, ad nauseam.

o

Zimmerman's life has made such a sharp turn I cannot imagine what it will be like for him. Who would hire him, who would want to be his neighbor or co-worker, where can he go that people won't stare at him or cross the street to avoid him, who want to invite him for dinner or to a party? I'm sure there are those who will accept him, but the circle must be smaller than it was before he killed Trayvon Martin. I would feel sorry for him if it weren't over the body of dead teenager.

o

Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 10:19

neighborhood witnesses who say Zim was on the bottom being pummeled

Mr. Zimmerman started this tragedy, by following and harassing Trayvon Martin, so even if he was "on the bottom being pummeled" it was being done, in self defense, by a young man who, rightly, feared for his life. And now he's dead.

Mr. Zimmerman bears the blame for this whole tragic event.

Trying to blame the victim in order to justify a wrongheaded belief.

o

And other witnesses said that Martin was on the ground, being pummeled.

But ya know the saying, history is written by the victors.

o

If talking about George Zimmerman gets people talking about racism and the fact that it still exists and what it's affects are - then carry on the conversation.

o

If talking about George Zimmerman gets people talking about racism and the fact that it still exists and what it's affects are - then carry on the conversation.

Agreed.

o

"And other witnesses said that Martin was on the ground, being pummeled. "

Got a link david?

o

Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 12:57

The "witnesses" said that the person on the ground "appeared" to be lighter skinned. That could be because of the light, the angle, movement, any number of things could explain what they say they say. It could even have been Mr. Zimmerman, being assaulted by Mr. Martin, who, as we now know, was fighting for his life. If Trayvon Martin hadn't been murdered, would the police have arrested him for assaulting Zimmerman? Probably - since he was a black teen wearing a hoodie. Even though Zimmerman started this whole tragedy when he decided to act as judge, jury and executioner.

"Eyewitnesses" are notoriously unreliable. They can easily be convinced, after the fact, that they saw exactly the opposite of what they first stated they saw.

o

Posted by october17 5chgo (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 12:42

"And other witnesses said that Martin was on the ground, being pummeled. "

Got a link david?

A former Twin Lakes resident testified on Thursday that she heard the scuffle behind her home and heard someone yelling "help".

Speaking through a translator, Colombian-born Selma Mora testified that the person who was on top during the scuffle was the one who survived the fight, and that he got up and walked away after the gunshot was heard.

The person on top was wearing a garment in "some sort of a pattern between blacks and reds", she said, which were the colours of a jacket Zimmerman was wearing that night.

So far, three former residents have testified for the prosecution that they saw someone who appeared to be Zimmerman on top during the incident, which took place by a walkway between units.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here