Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unclaimed Property: Is your name here?

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 9:54

You never know. There might be some unclaimed property with your name on it just sitting there, waiting for you to come and get it.

Good luck, and let us know if you get lucky!

Here is a link that might be useful: Unclaimed property

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unclaimed Property: Is your name here?

I found several. All in deceased relatives' names. My grandfather, (ex) Mother in law, uncle... Well, except one. She's still alive. But none for me!

o

Cool! If these people have kids or closer relatives, you might want to let them know. I understand most of the claims are pretty small, but I saw one that looked like it might be somebody's IRA-type account! Hope they find it.

o

I did let them, great minds think alike!!! Daddy said it'd cost so much to reopen his mother's estate, so it wasn't worth the pittance to be recovered. Yea, I agree. The one who is alive, it was stocks. She should do ok, since she doesn't have to reopen an estate and it's worth something.

:)

o

I found my name on it and I still have the bank book from 1982 that it refers to. Do you think it's time for me to claim it or should I wait another 30 years?

o

as long as you don't have to pay taxes on it, go for it!

;)

o

Rob, several years we got "found money" from an aunt who had passed away about 20 years earlier. There was no need to re-open the estate. We did have to have the claim document signed by all the beneficiaries and include a copy of her will and her death certificate. It took a couple of months but my DS and I both got a check couple of hundred dollars.

My DM got enough from an insurance policy on her first husband to pay for a nice trip to Europe.

o

Well, it was $5 in 1982 so I don't think I'm going to be getting a windfall. I just want my name off the books! I also found my paternal grandmother on the list (the person I was named after!). All these little old Italian ladies had their bank books and they would faithfully trek down to the bank at the end of the month to get their interest stamped in the book. It was a ritual with them.

o

A few years ago I got an email from a cousin in Iowa whose husband was at their county fair and the state had a booth where you could research whether it was holding anything for you. He put in his wife's maiden name (same as my parents' last name) and lo and behold, some of my father's estate (some stock) that somehow was overlooked came up. My sister and I applied for it and received a nice little sum. Because of that, I looked for our names on the internet and we found my DH was owed a refund by an insurance company that had somehow found its way to our state's records. So, we applied for that.

So, it's worth checking out. You never know what will turn up. We certainly didn't think there was any money "out there" that belonged to us.

o

He said he "knew" as though he'd already tried? I would think he had; he's fairly intelligent. And it is a pittance, this time. Thanks though! I knew I wouldn't have anything as I keep close tabs on all of my finances and assets. I actually check for my name every now and again. This time, I used just the last names (my maiden and current surnames). I was just goofing around this time. I also found that Tennessee's search site is easier than the other two states I've lived (I didn't think about the third). It should be easier than it was in those states. (shrug?)

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 13:57

Might be used as a trap to catch law breakers, tax dodges, etc.

o

Aha--$85.00 I never claimed before just sitting there waiting for me. Don't think that will fund my trip to Europe, but maybe I can blow it on a couple new roses. : )

Kate

o

Gee Wiz, I had amounts in several states, one was 'over $100' - that state wouldn't give the exact amount- it just said "demutualization".... not sure when I have the time to fill in and mail out all the forms and proof, but hey thanks! (I think!)

o

"Gee Wiz, I had amounts in several states, one was 'over $100' - that state wouldn't give the exact amount- it just said "demutualization".... not sure when I have the time to fill in and mail out all the forms and proof, but hey thanks! (I think!)"

Hope the one over $100 is a lot more than that! :)

o

• Posted by bjoy z5 Mich (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 14:18

Hey, my name is on the list! I have to fill out a form and send it into the state to find out how much.

o

vgkg,

I thought the same thing. Could be a way to find "outstanding" (wanted for certain activities) people. I hope not!

o

There's also a link at the top of the Web page for Other Sources for Unclaimed Property. To give you an idea of what's there:
The IRS is holding $153 million in tax refunds that were returned because of a bad address.
There's $197 million in forgotten pensions.
40 million savings bonds have stopped earning interest and should be cashed in an reinvested. It comes to $16 billion!
Nationwide, just on the state unclaimed property sites, there's $33 billion waiting to be claimed. That number is actually several years old. I've asked NAUPA for a current figure since every state takes in more than they return each year, but they haven't responded.
There are lots of other places you can search for money too. Most people don't know that if your home was foreclosed or you lost it to a tax sale, anything above what you owe on it is yours. The money is usually held by the clerk of court in the county where the foreclosure took place. But you have to know to ask for it! They send the check to the last address of record which was ... you guessed it ... the house that was foreclosed. These listings usually have time limits before the county keeps your money.
Check at least once a year for missing money since new listings are added all the time. Get a free copy of Finders Fees: To Pay or Not to Pay, the first chapter of my book, by going to my Web site. In most cases, you never need to pay someone to get your own money.
And for those who think this is a scam to catch criminals, if you're not a criminal, you don't need to worry, do you? If your ex is behind on child support and has a listing, some states intercept it and apply it to the delinquent child support account.
Look for me in the Oct. 1 issue of Woman's World magazine in the section Ask America's Ultimate Experts.
Happy treasure hunting!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Little Book of Missing Money: A Quick and Easy Guide to Finding Money that is Rightfully Yours

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here