Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Victory for real girls, real beauty

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 10:25

All I can say is... Way to go, girls!

When teenage girls check out Seventeen magazine, they'll be getting the complete picture -- no ifs, ands or Photoshopped butts about it.

That's the pledge the magazine's staff made in its latest edition, after a push led by a Maine 14-year-old to combat the practice of tweaking pictures and picking models whose appearance give teens an unrealistic perspective on what is beautiful.

--snip--

But the more than 84,000 people who signed a Change.org petition, started by teenager Julia Bluhm, clearly believed Seventeen and other publications didn't always present the full, unvarnished truth.

"Those 'pretty women' that we see in magazines are fake," the petition said, in requesting "one unaltered -- real -- photo spread per month." "They're often Photoshopped, air-brushed, edited to look thinner and to appear like they have perfect skin. A girl you see in a magazine probably looks a lot different in real life."

Here is a link that might be useful: Teens change influential teen magazine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Victory for real girls, real beauty

Speaking of real a$$-kicking girls, I just happened upon a tv whilst Serena Williams was winning the last two points of Wimbledon.

o
RE: Victory for real girls, real beauty

Self image and self esteem... being happy with who we are. Actually liking ourselves.

The media has worked very hard at creating an image it sees as perfection in the human form. But since we are all different, and we each have our imperfections, it's impossible to live up to what the media says we should look like and be like.

Teens are hit the hardest by all this as they battle the natural changes their bodies are going through... growth, hormonal changes, acne, etc...

It would be exceedingly wonderful, and a novel idea, to create a piece of media that states it's ok to be imperfect... it's ok to be YOU!

Between Barbie, Ken, and all the models male and female, and all the celebrities... and all the techniques used to create media perfection... young girls, and boys, don't stand a chance. They're upset, depressed, they hate themselves when looking in the mirror... they often don't understand the changes their young bodies are going through... and greed presents them with impossible role models.

I really don't care how many people think I mention greed too much... it's the crux of more than half our planet's problems.

Self esteem is so very important... positive reinforcement... real role models, imperfections and all... this is what we really need. We need a magazine for teens that helps them with health issues, eating right, exercise, self worth, working on the inner you... life priorities, etc... makeup and fashion are secondary.

My husband just said that if he sees a woman who looks like she spends more than 30 minutes on makeup and hair and fashion, and she looks too perfect, he immediately dismisses her... she's too high maintenance.

Take any teen magazine, and make it mandatory that all content must be issued by teens, themselves, between 14 and 17... and see how fast and dramatically that magazine changes. Contrary to popular belief, our youth is pretty smart, and very concerned about our environment, going green, being healthy and active, being active in many areas you might not think they have an interest in... like politics, etc... I think you'll find that fashion and glamor will start to shrink in content, and more worldly issues will take their place.

The majority of these publications are written by adults... how do they know what today's teen is thinking about or deems important? When we reach adulthood, we tend to put our teen years behind us, and we forget how traumatic some things were. As editors and photographers, magazine workers, etc... we're just doing a job, trying to be the most purchased magazine on newsstands.

Give those jobs to actual teens... and watch what happens. Those magazines will change, and will draw a larger audience because they'll contain real life information, and they will appeal to not just girls, but boys as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here