Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Great Granny's Insurance (humor)

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 11:57

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Great Granny's Insurance (humor)

If you go to the website listed on the poster, it looks like Allstate is running an equality campaign: Equality, what does it mean to you? It also says that if you get a quote Allstate will donate $10 to the SF LGBT Center or L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center. That's pretty cool.

o

Oh well then let the drag races begin. I only attempted drag once & even then it was Halloween! My mother gave me her old 1930's wedding dress & my father his old army boots. Do you think that a year on an analysts couch might be enough for that combo. I also had a full beard back then!
Nice campaign by All State Kultcha wars have been very hot lately!

Here is a link that might be useful: good show

o

I'm happy to see more and more corporations publicly stand up for what's right. It IS pretty cool... and the donations will help.

o

A man in a wedding dress and army boots instantly brings to my mind images of the character Klinger from M*A*S*H.

Good for Allstate. Equal rights for the GLBT community is something that the bigots won't be able to squash anymore.

o

Good for Allstate, takes courage to take a stand like that especially with such provocative ads.

o

And I think that as more corporations and brands stand up and publicly announce their support, the less we'll see of that bigot attitude... it will come to be synonymous with lost income and bad image.

o

I'm surprised that normally cynical people, usually very suspect of the motives of corporations like Allstate, would not view these advertisements as pure marketing and instead assume touchy feely support of a cause.

That observation is way more interesting to me than Allstate's advertisement.

o

Allstate made the top ten...

Eastman Kodak, Ford Motor Company, Citigroup, D&T USA (Deloitte & Touche), PepsiCo, Merck & Company, Kaiser Permanente, Visteon Corporation (Automotive parts supplier), Allstate Insurance and The Coca-Cola Company.

Aside from the fact that extending human and civil rights to all is the right thing to do, one just has to think embracing those who either work for or use their goods and services is smart business as well.

o

I think Demi it's also about corporate history, every year they get marks from LGBT orgs & Allstate has apparently done well.
I think a year or 2 ago I posted a list of US Corporations on here after 1 of the parades & their grades from Human Rights Campaign. It's not something that I usually pay attention to here I was a bit caught off guard by the humor & it's comfortable use of what could be something contentious.

o

Thanks for the enlightenment.
The ad makes more sense to this sometimes cynical person.

You must be rubbing off on me. ;)

I admire Allstate's multi advertising campaigns, aimed at different demographics.

My favorite is Mayhem.

o

I'm glad they are launching this new advertising campaign, but then again why wouldn't they? They are targeting a market of men who are generally better educated and therefore more highly paid than het men, who don't usually have kids, and who couple up with other men just like them.

It just astonishes me that any business is stupid enough to marginalize that sort of buying power.

o

I don't think NOT directing a campaign at GLBT means someone is ignoring their business.

It seems strange that an advertising campaign needs to be aimed at someone's sexual preference when the product has nothing to do with one's sexuality.

But then advertising campaigns are aimed at all sorts of divisive factors which appeal to one's emotions, identification and acceptance factors.

o

I used to be a fan of RuPaul's Drag Race, and that's Tammie Brown from Season 1. I always thought she was a hot mess, but she looks pretty good in that ad. That's what I think of when I see her. She did well for herself. So, I guess, I "connected" with Allstate, even though I am not GLBT.

o

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 13:04

"I don't think NOT directing a campaign at GLBT means someone is ignoring their business."

Agree.

"It seems strange that an advertising campaign needs to be aimed at someone's sexual preference when the product has nothing to do with one's sexuality."

But everything has to do with sex; sex sells. The LGBT aspect of Allstate's campaign may well turn some would-be customers off, as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here