Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Heart

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 12:11

Not a hot topic but the end of a long saga. EDD got his new heart. They called last night at 10PM I left him at 3 AM while they were prepping him. His cardiologist just called me to tell me he did great after 8 hours of surgery.
Now I have to go to work because everyone is on vacation this week & there's no one to cover me LOL!
Ah well life on life terms!

If your faith permits it I encourage everyone to be a blood or organ donor quite lieterally ...AFTER ALL is said & done what are you going to do with them!
I am grateful for this gift of life from someone whose life has ended

Last night before I left him he was nice and pink & eager to get on with it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Heart

OH Joe! That is fantastic news. I was holding my breath when I opened the thread and saw the picture. I'm beyond words.

o

Holy smokes! That's beyond wonderful. My prayers are with EDD today. I'm sincerely happy for you, both of you, and all EDD's other loved ones. Happy day! :-D

o

Rejoicing!

And now a whole new and wonderful life filled with happy anticipation about the future can begin again for you both! :)

Rejoicing!

o

Best wishes to EDD for a full recovery and a return to normal living as soon as possible. And well-earned rest for the caregiver.

o

Great news.

o

Outstanding! That is great news! I hope EDD's recovery is quick. I know you will both be happy when he is back home with his new heart.

o

OMG..That's wonderful..just the best news . I hope his recovery is swift and uncomplicated. And thanks to the choice the other family made . They are heroes.

o

What fabulous news!!!! All my best thoughts and good wishes for a speedy recovery for EDD. I'm sure this will help the donors family with their loss. For all of you haven't done it ...sign those papers!!!

o

What wonderful news!

Wishing EDD a very speedy recovery.

I can just imagine the joy you are both feeling today to be able to look forward to a long and happy life together. I am so happy for you both.

o

YAY! At least you can work with a happy heart of your own.

o

Yay!!! And a big whew! too that all went well!

You go EDD & Joe!

Kudos to the donor, and solace for his loved ones. May he rest in peace.

o

Wishing speedy recovery EDD. Good News

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 13:02

ohboyohboyohboy. Wow. Many blessings, my dears.

o

I am so happy for you both..so very very pleased. Congradulations!

o

Congratulations. Hoping for an easy recovery (as easy as possible!)

o

I first learned of this on another thread that Batya posted on. I re-read it (to make sure I understood it was about EDD getting a new heart) and then searched for this thread.

How wonderful for you both. I have tears in my eyes - mainly because this forum has become like family and close friends. Even though we have never personally met, we rejoice in other's triumphs and sympathize with others in their losses. Even though some of us are at extreme opposites when it comes to politics, we are still caring, human beings.

So, this is great news and I wish you and EDD a great life - a new beginning, so to speak.

And, yes, I am an organ donor.

o

Wait list candidates as of 7:02pm on January 2nd, 2012. All candidates will be less than the sum due to candidates waiting for multiple organs because some patients need more than one organ.
All Organs
Kidney

Pancreas 1,326
Kidney/Pancreas 2,104
Liver 16,111
Intestine 275
Heart 3,124
Lung 1,669
Heart/Lung 62

Last year for Zone 9 Which includes all of New York State & Vermont there were 284 patients on waiting lists for a heart of which 126 received hearts. Type O is the hardest to get as there are more type O's waiting.

In 2011, 1,760 patients on the heart wait list received heart transplants. That figure represents a decrease from the 2,333 hearts transplanted in 2010 and the 2,211 in 2009.

As of September 30, 2011, 10,558 donors had contributed organs for transplant.

Currently there are 3,124 patients awaiting heart transplantation in the U.S. This figure changes immediately depending on adjustments. Below is a breakdown of patients currently on the wait list and actual transplants by region:

Region 1 � Connecticut, Maine, Mass, New Hampshire, Rhode Island � Currently on the wait list = 193. Transplants in 2011 = 69

Region 2 � Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia � Currently on wait list = 320 � Transplants in 2011 = 232

Region 3 � Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Puerto Rico and Mississippi � Currently there are 326 patients waiting for hearts. In 2011, 233 patients received heart transplants.

Region 4 � Texas, Oklahoma � 453 patients are on the heart transplant wait list. 171 patients received transplants in 2011.

Region 5 � Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah � 307 patients are on the wait list for hearts. 255 heart transplants were performed in 2011.

Region 6 � Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington � 91 patients are waiting �44 patients received hearts in 2011.

Region 7 � Illinois, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin � Currently waiting are 389 candidates. 175 heart transplants were performed in 2011.

Region 8 � Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Neb � 157 on the heart transplant wait list. 118 heart transplants were performed in 2011.

Region 9 � New York, Vermont � 284 heart patients on wait list. 126 patients received hearts in 2011.

Region 10 � Ohio, Michigan, Indiana � Currently 276 patients are waiting. 141 heart transplants were performed in 2011.

I watched the Unos boards weekly to watch increases & decreases unfortunately a decrease was usually an indication of death or that some new element had emerged to disqualify the person waiting from receiving a new heart.
The biggest tension was waiting for blood test results any sign of infection would have disqualified EDD last night as the immuno suppression drugs that are now in him would casue that infection to run wild.

It's summer & a cruel fact is Summer is a time of freak outdoor accidents.
Please remember to donate blood!

o

Labrea, that is wonderful news. I am so happy for you both. Good thoughts to EDD for a speedy recovery and to you as well for some time to just breathe.

As always, if there is something I can do to help you or him please don't hesitate to ask. In the meantime, enjoy the 4th of July. For you and EDD it truly is a day to celebrate.

o

You made me think and act. I'm going to change to an organ donor. Need to do it before holiday travel tomorrow! I'm on it!

o

Thank you I'm told that's how it works by all the doctors & staff at the Hospital.
I can't get my sister to do it though ah well, my brother suggested he was too old to be of any use (nonsensense)
there are 42,000 cornea transplants in the US every year & health is more a factor than age in giving someone the gift of sight!
"In one case, here in Mississippi, an 84-year-old man's family donated his organs. His liver went to a seventeen year old boy who lived in New York. Even further evidence that age is not a factor: The oldest documented organ donor in the United States was ninety-six years old."

o

Yay, Joe! Good for EDD! PLEASE keep us posted on his progress.

You must be so excited and relieved. I'm so happy for you.

o

labrea a dear friend of ours got his heart transplant in 1994. He was in his late 50's and he is still doing very very well.
Lots of trials but good results.
Took square dance lessons in 2006!

I will put both of you on our prayer list.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 14:40

Hugs and love to you both ... been a donor since 1972 (says so right on my drivers license), and no you sure can't take it with you.

o

I've been doing it ever since it was a question asked when I applied for my driver's license. I honestly thought that all people did say yes, but in line a few years ago to renew- a young woman shook her head and said something to the effect that she wouldn't be able to sleep at night if she knew when she died that somebody else would be walking around with an organ of her's in them.

Because it had nothing to do with religious reasons for turning donation down -I was so shocked and disturbed by that comment on so many levels, but like the woman behind the desk I just let it go.

There is no convincing some people to think beyond their own tiny little selves in their own tiny little bubble.

Maybe someday when she matures and cooks a little further, she was probably not older than 21. Still, even ten year olds so often think further than their own space.

o

Hugs to both of you, I keep thinking all those meds is like pouring stop leak in instead of fix or replace and to finally get the fix that is needed is a joyous occasion. Now to move on to the meds that maintain the goodness contributed.

o

Don, you picked the wrong thing (BIG grin!!!)... I just spent the last three months fighting my radiator until I saved up enough to buy one. I put it in (all by myself, go me!) this weekend. My car kept overheating and overheating and it worried me night/day for three months! And now it's all fixed. Purrs like a kitten.

But now, every time I see labrea or EDD, I'm gonna think about his new radiator! Go EDD may your new radiator make you purr like a kitten.

o

Too bad it didn't happen on the 4th so you could have a whooper of a celebration every year with all the fireworks for EDD. I am a donor and thought almost everyone was.

Will you get any contact with the family? What a wonderful sacrifice they made. To know they made such a difference that no one else could make.

o

Wonderful wonderful news. May it beat long and happily under your combined loving care. :-)

o

Awesome job Rob!!

And I am so happy for EDD and Labrea. YAY!!!

o

I'm so happy for the both of you labrea. I've been a donor for years. What better gift to leave behind.

And for those of you who might be interested. After donation of organs you can donate your body to a medical school. Forms can be found online. They will pick up your body, use it for medical research, cremate the remains and return them to your family, usually within a year. All at no cost to you.

o

Labrea: I am so happy to hear the good news about EDD's new heart. Best to both of you!

o

We attended classes with past transplant recipients & their family members. A rabbi's wife said when the call comes it will be almost anti climactic in the sense of all the dramatic near misses. She also said it may be a challenge to your identity as care taker.
I asked EDD's future forbearance last night before I left so much of my life has been about reading, researching, checking up on trials, tests, drugs, doctors. The busy body in me will need to take a back seat & that may be difficult I'm told. I find it interesting!

o

Just a word of caution about signing donor permission in conjunction with your drivers licenses. In Ontario the question is posed as a negative. Instead of checking off the organs you WANT to donate the instructions are to check off the organs you DON'T want to donate. it is very easy to think you are granting permission when in fact your are not.

I have no idea why they do it that way ...must be a legal reason but read the question carefully before you check the boxes!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 17:49

Great News! Happy for the both of you for a full and healthy life!

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 18:06

What a wonderful gift. Enjoy your new life together.

Chase, I don't think our donor option is broken down by specific organs. It's all or nothing. When I'm gone it's all for the taking.

o

Very happy for you and Edd, Joe. I hope he is up and around lickety split and then outta there! Back home where he belongs.

Sea (organ donor)

o

Not so here Natal, at least in Ontario. I believe there is a box that indicates "everything" but there is also an option to indicate that you wish to donate only certain organs...not sure why.

I have often wondered what would happen if, heaven forbid, we were involved in a fatal accident while in the States. I would hope that our donor wish would be honoured but I better look into that.

o

I had to look into to it too. Just saying it isn't enough. Just marking it isn't enough. It has to be recorded in their system (Tennessee). Reciprocal Nations makes me think the USA would find your family and try their best to honor your wishes in the best way possible Chase. Truly. Does it matter if you save/help a Canadian or a US-ian?

o

Joe, I'm not religious... but my hopes and thoughts are with you both, and I stand in silent support, halfway across the nation, sending my very best your way. Love will see you through... love, and a ton of good wishes and thoughts from everywhere. :-)

o

"Chase. Truly. Does it matter if you save/help a Canadian or a US-ian?"

Rob you misunderstood my post completely...or perhaps it was that I didn't explain myself well. Likely the latter.

My intent is that my donor wish, made in Canada, would be honoured in the States for use within the States should I die there. I just have to check and make sure that is what will happen. Maybe I need to do something special to ensure that the organs are used as close to the point of an accident as possible. I just don;t know , so I need to check.

o

Edd's the tin man and you'll have to be his lion - Wishing you both long, happy and healthy togetherness!

o

How long will he be in the hospital Joe? I know they have people go home after transplants FAR sooner than would make me comfortable, but I still live in the stone age regarding some of the times discharge for very serious ailments. I do understand that getting people back home promotes faster healing, but I think they push that envelope at times.

I hope at least long enough for you to catch up on sleep, rest and a reasonable emotional rest - all which probably hasn't even begun for you yet on a healing basis,really.

Just so very happy for you both.

o

I was just wondering that myself(how long) You will have plenty to keep you busy with all the after care-that will require all sorts of investigation as well...

patricia-organ donor

o

Nice news to come home to today.

I will continue to say prayers for EDD and his full recovery.

o

Super news to come home to find that EDD has a new heart and the best chances for a long and loving relationships with Joe. My best to both of you. I too have been a donor since first offered as an option in California and earlier in Wisconsin.

o

Mylab it should be 2 to 3 weeks. NY Columbia Presbyterian is very jealous of their stats so I doubt they would give him the bums rush. In fact he was there nearly 3 months out of the past 4 months & he was the one always chomping at the bit to get out. At 1 point there was a plan to have him live there till a heart showed up there have been people who stayed there for as long as 6 months waiting. There's a really nice section the rooms twice the size of the normal rooms very quiet, for a hospital quiet posh. He spent a month in that section at one point but they had to implant another LVAD & so that plan went down the tubes.
We both will be part of future classes where we will speak to others who are waiting for transplants & tell them of our experiences, pit falls & successes.

o

What fantastic news, what a way to celebrate the 4th.

You and Edd are in my prayers and congrats on a really "new life" together.

o

you already know how happy I am at this wonderful news!

o

We've been organ donors forever... we figure if just one tiny thing can help someone else lead a better life, then it was all worth it. :-)

It's a good program, though I wish the playing field were a little more level. And in health care it looks that way now... and hopefully, it will get better and better.

It just seems odd to me that Cheney needed a heart and got one immediately, while Edd has been on a waiting list forever... aside from rare blood types, what could be the possible holdup?

I know it's not the thread to bring this up on... but it just strikes me as unfair.

I hope Edd is doing well today... we are thinking of you both, and pulling mightily for a quick return to normalcy. :-)

o

I can't wait until he can get up and going. I'm chomping at the bit for him. They kept me an extra day after giving birth (that's my I almost died and he says he did story), as I just wanted to go home and begin our new life. I don't doubt y'all could be feeling that way too.

I hate computer talking. I did understand you sweetie! I just had an afterthought that was poorly stated. (grin) If I could choose where my organs were donated, and I had a family member, I'd want them to have it. Then a friend, then a... and it hit me. I'm not so sure I'd want it to go out of the country. Would I prefer a US resident get it? That's more what I meant. You, undoubtedly, would give your last fingernail to whomever needed it. It was just late in the day and it was a hard day yesterday. It was more of an "esoteric" idea than anything. Curiosity.

(hugs to Chase)

o

Well this news makes my July 4th even better!

I am SO happy for both of you, labrea. I can't believe how good EDD looks in that picture!!!

My very best to you both. You've been through so much for so long, I'll bet you're ready to get off that darned roller coaster. Nik

o

How's EDD today? I hope he is getting stronger by the minute.

I, too, have been an organ donor as long as I can remember. I want someone to use every part of my body that is usable to help someone else. My father died of a massive heart attack about 15 years ago. He was a diabetic. None of his major organs were usable but they were able to use his corneas and skin for transplant.

o

Fabulous -- hard to believe that a post-op photo! He'll be up and "running" soon and you can both celebrate independence in more ways than one. Sending prayers!

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 10:12

Positive thoughts and best wishes to you both!

o
Organ donating on license...

Back when I first got my license, I remember hearing something to effect of, "if you mark yourself as an organ donor on your driver's license, the EMT and/or doctors won't try as hard to save you." Did any of you ever hear that myth?

o

Best wishes to EDD and you, labrea - what an age we live in!

That myths been around for a while and debunked by Snopes - probably some comon sense too. Doctors wouldn't want to be sued or charged with homicide for harvesting too soon.

o

Houseful, I am amazed at your gullibility. I served for a time on an EMT/Paramedic unit. Who has time to check on a patient's organ donor list in an emergency?

o

This warms my heart <3

Very happy for you both.

o

Just saw this posting. I'm so very happy for you both. Enjoy a long and good life together!

o

That photo of EDD is not post op.

Joe--how are the the two of you doing today?

o

CONGRATULATIONS to EDD and you!! May you have many, many happy, healthy years together.

o

Marshallz, did I say I believed the myth? Let's keep this thread about EDD and organ donation and quit the personal attacks.

o

Great news! And friends at Rose Pals are cheering too!

o

How's Edd doing Labrea? Hope he is recovering well.

o

That was a pre op photo & I saw him yesterday and he told me to put the effing camera away lol. Made me cry to see how many nurses & staff members from other units that he had been in over time came by when they heard he had finally gotten the procedure. He's a regular character there as one Administrator put it we are happy to see him leave when he leaves but not happy in the way we are to see others leave.
Rare that someone doesn't get one of his paintings during a a stay.
They called me at 5 AM to tell me that he has fluid in his lungs due to the drugs suppressing his immune system so he is back on the ventilator till they get it under control. The heart it'self is very strong they tell me and doing what it's supposed to do. The donor was only 31 which also sends me to tears every time I think about it. Having sat in the Open Heart waiting area countless times while families & friends wept due to loss, it takes a lot to keep from smilling.
My brother in laws brothers heart lungs, kidneys, corneas & liver were all given to others when he was killed.
There's a British commercial for organ donor awareness that includes the stat 1 donor can save. or improve 100 lives with their donations.
Post Op

I really thought he was on his way out here when the 2nd LVAD had failed to do it's work.

We share a pulmonary specialist for 14 years he's my primary care doctor when every time he sees me he exclaims how is it possible he's still here? After EDD's 3rd heart attack which happened while he was tossing weights around in a gym about 10 years ago he had an invitation to go to Brazil to paint a mural for a friend that had retired there.
When he got out of the hospital he could barely make it a block walking but he announced to me & this doctor that he would be leaving the following week for Brazil.
Dr Mike snickered "Mr EDD you won't even make it to the airport so just stop that"
He went he came back he got back Dr Mike said that it was official Cher the roaches and EDD would be here in the end.
Of course that's all bravado!

o

I sit here thinking about the loss that was Edd's gain... but they must also know that such generosity and selflessness mean so much to those who have been helped. I'm also in awe that one death can provide so many healthy lives for others. Modern medicine is truly a wondrous thing. Edd is a survivor, and still has a lot to do in this life, else he wouldn't fight so hard.

And you, Joe... what a rock you've been. What strength it takes to sit and wait and watch as you have, all the while putting yourself on hold. Please remember to take care of you, too. :-)

I'm overjoyed for the both of you... I can't tell you how this affects me... let's just say that I'm pulling for you every day. :-)

o

No Rock! just jello with a lot of attitude.

o

If I could reach through this monitor and hug you both, I would! :-)

You don't know it, or maybe you do... but you have provided me a look into lives that makes mine look so easy by comparison... and I'm awed at the inner strength that burns in you both. You are an inspiration, Joe, as is Edd. May you both rest easy, now...

o

I can hear that joy of yours shining through Joe, and he certainly sounds like he is a "favorite!" patient there (always a good thing!) I'm so very, very happy for you both.

The world must look brighter to you now.

o

Sorry, I read the first post too fast. When you mentioned he was pink, I was thinking post-op heart functioning properly, etc.

So glad things are going well. I don't know much about heart transplant surgery, but the sooner he is sitting up and breathing deeply, the sooner that fluid can clear.

He may not like you taking his picture, however, could you take some pictures of his paintings so we can enjoy them?

o

That's a great idea! :-D

Pretty please?

o

What elvis said!

o

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
He made his mother the gown so she could pose as mother nature in a series he did around 1998

A lot of Americana for a Masters Program as engravings & etchings unfortunately all the plates disappeared

You can't go back there because there is no there anymore Eastern Kentucky.

This used to hand in our livingroom it was rather large for and so many people would say it's like where I grew up.

This is a sculptural piece based on a William Blake piece of art our local pharmacy used it as part their window display.

o

Wowza! He's amazing! I really love the black and whites. Does he only sell at local art shows?

o

Beautiful work, such intricate detail. Hard to tell in these digital representations what the medium is. Obviously varies from one another showing masterful work. Wish it were possibly to see them in person. Hints of a full and beautiful mind, life and experience for both of you.

o

Gave up on that ages ago The Village & Soho are awash with people selling art on the streets & being on water pills means bathroom breaks nearly every 30 minutes.

o

What artistry! I can see why he is driven to continue doing his art even with heart and other health issues. And one reason why you are so supportive.

o

How wonderful to be able to express oneself this way; thank you for sharing, Labrea.

Without getting too awfully personal, the first one is the most special, isn't it? So introspective and brave.

o

Those are absolutely awesome. Is there any art style he is not good doing? Each one is speaks to you.

I say a prayer for you both every night. Hope you both are doing good today. There is no question you are the glue stay strong.

o

Such stunning work - an artist in every sense of the word. Each is so beautiful - Mother Nature,with all the symbolism behind it, is probably my favorite. Looking at her face, it's easy to see which parent EDD takes after. And he made her gown - amazing!

I also particularly love the last black and white with the children in the street -

But all of them, simply amazing. Thanks for sharing, Joe.

o

Awesome! I want one!

I'm with Marquest (and Jodi, from upthread), you are the glue--the stay strong part has had me worried for quite a while...you need to re-charge your batteries (take Epi's offer now will ya!).

o

Thank you for sharing EDD's work, Labrea.

He is obviously a talented man and I hope he's back to painting and drawing very soon, or whatever his heart desires~

o

All of the works pictured are quite remarkable. The Old Gulf gas station "speaks" to me... like the tatters of a small town the interstate system forgot.

o

Joe, how is EDD coming along with the new heart and attending complications?

o

I love Edd's view of the world... his talent is amazing. Thank you for sharing it with us, Joe. I hope all is healing nicely... and I hope you're both finding some peace...

o

I love EDDs work. Outstanding, particularly the Gulf station one. Hope he's getting stronger every day.

o

Hhe was great on WED had fluid retention in the lungs on Thursday night froma medication so back on the ventilator till today. No infections watching his monitor was a treat the old rythem looked like a peak a a plateau a trough a peak a semi peak a plateau a sort of peak now it's a perfect rhythm without variation, all the stats were good & steady.
Amazing what a holiday can do more heart transplants as well as a heart a lung transplant.

o

God bless you both.....what a journey..it is truly humbling.

o

I would concur with Chase... a truly humbling experience to share... I feel ashamed for complaining about my own troubles, that seem so inconsequential in comparison. My Mom used to say that we're only given in life as much as we are able to handle... so I think you must be about the strongest couple I know. Hoping for a continuing strong and steady beat.

o

Y'all are still on my mind. I'm hugging you over the miles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here