Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RIP Helen Thomas

Posted by duluthinbloomz4 zone 4a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 12:23

Trailblazing journalist who covered every US President since John F. Kennedy.

She first came to notice when Martha Mitchell would call her in the middle of the night to discuss the Watergate scandal.

She was 92 and probably feisty to the end. In keeping with her familiar Presidential press conference ending "Thank you, Mr. President"... thank you, Helen Thomas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RIP Helen Thomas

She held all their feet to the fire. Sympathies to her family.

o

A true US gem!

o

Yes, an amazing and outstanding woman.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 13:52

What a journalist. What an amazing life.

No one like her left. She'll be missed

o

The best of the old time journalists. Feisty old broad. Loved her, and so did most of the presidents she covered.

o

I understand she was the first woman to be included in the press group, The Gridiron Club, and was quite the pioneer in White House reporting.

She'll be missed.

o

"In her later years, her refusal to conceal her strong opinions, even when posing questions to a president, and her public hostility toward Israel caused discomfort among colleagues.

In 2010, that tendency ended her storied career at the White House. She told a rabbi making a video that Israeli Jews should "get the hell out of Palestine" and "go home" to Germany, Poland or the United States. The video circulated on the Internet and brought widespread condemnation of Thomas, forcing her to quit her job as a Hearst columnist."

Hay

o

• Posted by brute Florida 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 9:07

Unfortunately, the old girl ignored the Eleventh Commandment:
Thou Shalt Not Pisseth Off The Jews.

o

Funny how we can have hundreds of posts about how intolerant Zimmerman and society is about racism and blacks. But it was/is perfectly all right when it comes to being against the Jews,

As a former reporter I respect the barriers Helen Thomas broke. But her feelings about both Jews and Israel were well known when I covered the Hill and the White House Lo those many years ago.

Yes, she broke the Eleventh Commandment for reporters (one that doesn't survive today hardly at all anyway),. But that Commandment was: Thou shalt Not Let Your Personal Opinions Cross Into Your Objective Reporting .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here