Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New words and phrases I've learned on Gardenweb the last few days

Posted by fouquieria 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 13:06

I am constantly learning new things on Gardenweb. It's almost like I'm in another universe. Strange things are always happening.

New words and phrases I've learned on Gardenweb the last few days:

Pack mentality:

Example: Just because I posted a lie that I cut and paste, and didn't check the veracity, and wont apologize for, you insist on setting the record straight with your pack mentality.

Example: Bad things that happen to good people. Not you reap what you sow...except when you don't take reponsibility for your own actions.

Disgusting:

Example: I find it disgusting that you are offended by my abhorrent reference.

-Ron-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New words and phrases I've learned on Gardenweb the last few

You know, Ron... I, too, have learned a great deal about things that I was not aware of until I began following along and posting here. Much like your examples above, I've learned that everyone truly does have equal opportunities, that racism barely exists, that it's all about personal responsibility no matter what we're talking about, and that dimes prevent pregnancy. Who knew?

There's actually a lot more, but I still want to sift through it all in my mind to ensure I have it right.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 13:43

Or maybe ensure you have it Right.

o

I would say you're right, Bboy, but it's probably better to say correct. ;-)

o

Ron your list is very short indeed.

I am not a young thing but I read phrases in post lots of times that I say to myself..."they didn't just say that"!
Things I have never heard one say to another before.

I usually just back out and go call my precious GD so I can hear that sweetness and clear my mind.

Debating is good....what transpires alot of times is not good for anyones health.

o

Another post? I'm suddenly very glad I've been at the pool a lot lately. Hm. Y'all come join me in a bit of respite. It was nice and cool water yesterday, plenty of shade if you wanted, loads of chairs to sit in, and even food if you were hungry. C'mon down/over/up (wherever you're located in relation to Nashville)!!!

o

Well, I learned that black people vote for Obama because he is black, but white people vote for white people because they always vote for the best candidate and the best candidate is always white.
I also learned that black people should just forget that slavery thingie, and the unequal opportunity and income inequality and understand that America is one hundred per cent non-racist. It's over. It's done. It's finished. So stop whining and get a job. If there are no jobs, that's their fault too.
I learned that everyone here, (but especially you, Jodik) is after my money. You are all jealous of my material success and prosperity and keep trying to bring me down to your level.
I also learned that I am the only person on this forum who has ever had to work for a living or pay taxes. The rest of you are welfare bums, living the good life at my expense.
I learned that Romney is good because he has money and people without money are bad. And stupid.
I learned that anyone who makes a mistake should be punished for it. Life long punishment is the most efficient. I personally have never made a poor decision, but I know all of you have, and I like to think that your lives were ruined because of it.
I learned that conservatives are always polite and kind, even when they are not, and liberals are alway rude and mean, and there are no exceptions. There are only conservatives and liberals and they share nothing in common. No idea worth thinking about is neutral, it is a liberal idea or a conservative idea and there is no other kind of thought.
What I still can't seem to learn is how you tell a liberal from a conservative. Nik is always posting about "you liberals", but how does she know? Do you wear badges? Is it a secret handshake? Do you use big words? It must be an American thing, because I know lots of people around here, and though we often discuss politics, we rarely describe ourselves as liberal or conservative. We just try to discuss the idea, but I guess we got it wrong, since we haven't learned to take sides according to our ideology.

o

Well put, Nina.

o

Amen Nina

o

Is it a secret handshake?

Start about 10 feet apart, hold left hand high above the head, waving homecoming queen style. Extend, fully, right hand, and approach slowly, then its a palm slap, elbow touch, back hand slap, fist bump, and a thumbs up, bringing down the left hand for a full, 4 handed shake.

Watch when the Democratic convention rolls around. You'll see it thousands of times.

o

jodik -

It used to be that a dime could prevent pregnancy. But with the progressive meddling in the monetary system and the consequential devaluation of the dollar, it now requires a quarter.

o

Well, it's not a bl**dy secret now David is it.

o

Well, I have learned that I wasted my time making good life decisions.

I have learned that you get lots of sympathy if you whine enough.

I have learned that the state of country is not Barack Obama's fault, it was all George Bush's fault, but that if Romney is elected, immediately it will all be George Bush and Romney's fault.

I have learned that logic is not recognized by a large group of people, but that propaganda is embraced and repeated in the face of facts and common sense.

I have learned that there are way more negative older people than I thought.

Isn't that the tenor with which this thread was started and has continued?

Just complying.

o

I learned that people aren't always who they pretend to be! Some posters abandon posts after they are shown to be in error (that I learned ages ago)
The US union worker is scum & deserve retribution!
Mexicans are the only illegal immigrants worth posting about!
Fiscal conservatives don't respond to posts that challenge that assertion.
A good (lines of BS) is always better than a good source (that's for both sides) oh did I say that there were occasionally sides here!

o

Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 15:53

So which side are you on? Take one! Quickly!!

o

Mexicans are the only illegal immigrants worth posting about!

And the corollary -- all Mexican-Americans are automatically considered undocumented even if their families have been here since the mid-1800s. And all Spanish-speaking immigrants are considered "Mexican" no matter where they are from in Central and South America.

o

OK we changed our mind let's see your stinkin' green card.

o

I've learned that legitimate questions which require an honest response go unanswered. What I haven't learned is why some here have such a difficult time explaining their words.

o

I've learned that Chick-fil-A is pronounced like "Chick Filet"

And that it's nothing like Swiss Chalet.

o

BBoy I am am most certainly always on my side! You know the right one for me!

o

I've learned that inflammatory threads started by so-called progressives result in a feeding frenzy by the angry social liberals.

o

And does that feeding frenzy include chicken on the menu?

o

I've learned that all of mrskjun's thread titles end in "?" or "!".

o

Cooked outside by Barb E Queue you know all lined up like little soldiers.

o

""'I have learned that there are way more negative older people than I thought.""

LMFAO! She doesn't just think she's better than everyone. Nope... she's Younger, too!

take that, you bunch of old bats!

Sea ~~~~~~~~~winking

o

HG, Swiss Chalet, oh for the good old days when it didn't have the texture of an old sponge. However I still can scarf down a double order of fries and Chalet sauce without barely taking a breath.

o

Cooked outside by Barb E Queue you know all lined up like little soldiers.

I'm not sure if I am craving a ribfest or some swiss Chalet right now, but either one would do.

Feeding frenzy, here we come!

And anyone who wants to join me is welcome.

o

"'I have learned that there are way more negative older people than I thought."

What a thing to say......what a terribly insulting thing to say. Not that Demi ever insults , clearly it's just my interpretation of her remarks.

o

Not only younger but prettier too, butter wouldn't melt in this mouth.

o

You didn't know there was a secret handshake and a decoder ring, Nina?! I thought the secret was out, and everyone knew that all "us liberals" have the complete kit! But, yes... I've learned a lot of the same things, and more!

Oh, yes... I'm just so, so envious of anyone with more than I... and I, more than anyone else, just might steal someone's money someday, through their taxes... however that would work... I haven't exactly figured out my plan yet. ;-)

And...

Quarter?! Where do you get a decent condom and spermicidal foam to double down for two bits?! I'd love to find THAT pharmacy! Maybe they have normal prices on the rest of their available merchandise, and I wouldn't have to sell a kidney every time I need prescription refills! (You know, for my disease and injuries that I have because of poor personal responsibility.) ;-)

o

Jodi, a quarter held tightly between the knees of the female is great birth control. Doesn't do much for sexual satisfaction but works well to prevent pregnancy. :)

o

Humm, what have I learned from this board?

I never realized there were so many adults capable of making so many childish remarks about other people until the last few days.

I know now that all people who believe in a higher being are stupid and easily led.
I've also learned that if I ever need to have someone read my mind or analyze my psyche, this is the place to come.

I've learned that if I ever need to have someone read my mind or analyze my psyche, this is the place to come.

I've learned that this board is a complete waste of time for anyone who wants to have a discussion on "hot topics" without having to endure the personal slams.

I think I've learned everything I need to know about this board.

o

a quarter held tightly between the knees of the female is great birth control.

Doesn't it work as well with males? I would like to see some masculine knees holding those quarters tight. Sauce for the goose, and all that.

o

Or Nancy Regan's simple but tried and true method,
"Just say no" until you can accept the responsibilities for your actions.

o

I forgot about that one. Aspirin:

Example: A contraceptive device used back in olden times.

-Ron-

o

"Doesn't it work as well with males?"

I'm nowhere near as old as some of you old biddies Nancy and just in case you have forgotten, let me tell you that we guys would not be stopped even with an anvil held between the knees.

o

Dude!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 17:41

I've learned that people cannot see the Big Picture because they can't back up far enough to take it all in.

o

I've learned that this is a perfect microcosm of the real world, where the loud but clueless minority with their set agenda are holding those who should know better hostage, dictate the terms of engagement and ultimately succeed in forcing the informed to their level, since common sense and logic cannot penetrate the thick hides of insularity and passive-aggressive smugness. This game is played over and over again with the same predictable outcome, no lessons learned on either side, with a steady downward spiral of common good manners and civility, with the more reasonable or thinner of skin being left by the wayside and the remainder continuing bloodied but unbowed - but to what end and purpose no one seems to know.

o

"I've learned that people cannot see the Big Picture because they can't back up far enough to take it all in." I can only assume you are addressing me veggie.

o

I think the most important thing I've learned is (now don't shoot) I really don't hate most of you so much..well sort of!
I mean I would chuckle if any of you stubbed your big toe but feel pretty bad if any of you had a real loss.

o

I learned there are people that will believe what they are told to believe without question.

I have learned there are people that vote or say they vote and do not know what there Representative do as their representative.

I learned that there are people that live in a bubble and do not want to come out of that bubble.

I learned racism is still alive and they like living in the past. But the good news I learned is it is not a lot of intolerant people in the world. So those few ignorant bigots are a dying breed. They are now the at the end of the joke punch line.

o

Ink, I think it is an invasion of my privacy to post that picture of me!

o

Well, I learned that black people vote for Obama because he is black, but white people vote for white people because they always vote for the best candidate and the best candidate is always white.

Don't forget about the one that if you support every word Obama utters, you're sensible. But if you diagree with so much as one syllable, you're a racist.

o

I don't remember anyone calling me a racist Bill! Where do you come up with this crap I know you don't drink Starbutt's but that Koolaid's rotting your grout & your tiles are falling out!

o

I got called a racist every time I opened my mouth during the last presidential election. So did anyone else who argued with Heri about his messiah.

o

Well now I have learned something new. People will say anything when they feel defensive it does not have to be true just say something, anything.

o

I think if some of the folks who employ the word "racist" knew what the word means, they would say "bigot" instead. Many seem to think it means "one who doesn't like people of color".

o

I've learned that this entire forum consists of only parents who have given birth to gifted children with high IQ's of multiple talents and blessed with more common sense and skill than other children due to either good genetics or wonderful parenting.

Ayup yup.

o

Many seem to think it means "one who doesn't like people of color".

And then there are others who think it means whatever Arianna and George TELL them it means.

o

We all have really good diets and are very active too Hamilton. :)

The best new phrase has to be, ""yadda hay, doncha know?" I'm not sure how I'll use it, but it's a keeper.

o

Hmmm HG, that does seem to be a recurrent theme.

And Romney's stepping on rakes tour was a liberal plot.

o

We all have really good diets and are very active too Hamilton. :)

That ranks right up there too.

I'll admit. I sat on my fat arse tonight drinking a root beer while playing on my computer.

But other than that I swear I only eat all organic, non dairy, low sodium, no preservative, free range, whole grain carrots.

o

But other than that I swear I only eat all organic, non dairy, low sodium, no preservative, free range, whole grain carrots.

You forgot the barley and hoppes. :-)

o

So this is a place to passive aggressively knock other posters without any pretense of an actual topic?

No thank you.

o

You forgot the barley and hoppes. :-)

I'm gonna share a secret with you Bill, But you have to swear NEVER to tell any of the other Canadians. I'm just so ashamed...

OK, well, the thing is... I don't really like beer.

There. I've said it. But just don't tell anyone else, OK?

o

In all fairness Maggie, I don't think we have been all that passive....:-)

o

"You can tell a bigot, but you can't tell him much"

o

LOL!

o

So this is a place to passive aggressively knock other posters without any pretense of an actual topic?

Uh, yeah.

That's most of the threads on Hot Topics for the past little while and will remain that way until after the US election. You gotta keep up.

o

Should everything on HT be all serious all the time?

o

HG-- your secret's safe with us....er...... I mean me. :-)

o

HG-- your secret's safe with us....er...... I mean me. :-)

Whew, that's good.

I mean, I'd hate to see what would happen if the Canadian Beer Police ever found out. The last Canadian who admitted they weren't fond of beer ended up shipped of to Las Vegas and forced to perform in shrill tones for drunken and depressed Americans.

I mean really, I appreciat..hold that thought. Someone at my door... BRB

o

HG-- I'll tell YOU a little secret, too-- me either! In fact. my sister just got married this last saturday, and she caught me in a rare moment. I didn't have to drive anywhere, and knew everyone around me:

Photobucket

And this is why I DON'T usually drink! LMAO

Photobucket

o
Re: New words and phrases I've learned on Gardenweb the last few

Oi! CBC just reported an arrest in Hamilton, Ontario! The perp was walked out in handcuffs -- and the police said he DIDN'T LIKE BEER!!!

All the best,
-Patrick
(hanging's too good for 'em, eh?)

Here is a link that might be useful: CBC report

o

Bill! I expected you to look more, uh, deranged. Well, perhaps in the second picture........

o

Bill IS deranged.

You see in the other thread where he was talking about setting a tile deck in daisy dukes and a tank top?

And you thought plumber's butt was bad to walk in on...

o

THis was the real one:
Photobucket

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 23:31

Ink, not as you personally, it's directed at the entire human race including myself. Try as I might it's not possible to step back far enough. The picture is just too damn Big, plus our vision is poor.

o

Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 0:56

And our butts too big.

o

The two ladies on either end were smiling more in the first picture; they are hesitant to trust that Bill will cooperate in the retake ....

o

Actually the last pic was taken first (I DID want to make sure we had one good one. There WERE other goofy shots the above was the best of them. :-) ). But they've known me for a long time, and know better than to trust me around a camera. :-)

o

Great looking family Bill!

o

That's 2/3 of it. I've got another sister who just had a hysterectomy and couldn't come to the wedding for obvious reasons, and a brother who's a fire marshall in Orange, Ct., and was on duty, so he couldn't be there, either. But thanks just the same. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here