Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
And the little Prince has a name....

Posted by ann_t 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 13:25

George Alexander Louis.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: And the little Prince has a name....

Well I got two out of three right!

Welcome Prince George.......but I'm betting they call him Alex!

o

I hope you are right Sharon.

o

That's nice; I like it. Was surfing to see where Alexander might have a naming convention for the royals, but one of QEII's middle names is Alexandra.

o

I hope they call him Alex too. George sounds like an old man. I was voting for Henry.

o

I was voting for Henry.

Harry's name is Henry so it was not going to be that. The top names were George and James so I guess George won.

i hope they call him whatever they feel he should be called and what brings them pleasure.

o

I can't imagine them calling him George but it is understandable that it be his "first" name in tribute to William's Great Grandfather and much beloved King.

Henry was not happening because that's Harry's real name.

If it was a girl Alexandra , out of respect for the Queen, was a front runner so Alexander makes sense.

it's the Louis I absolutely do not get....even though it is one of both Charles and Williams names

If they do call him George...I'm sure they will figure out a more modern "nick name"...please !

o

I was betting on George because George VI is still a figure whose stature during WWII still resonates through the royal family.
I don't think George sounds like an old man, lol--it's a fine name. Maybe they'll call him Lou--NOT!

o

Well a few clicks and the Louis mystery is solved!

He is named for Lord Louis Mountbatten, Price Philips's Uncle and Price Charles Godfather, with whom Prince Charles was extremely close.

Mountbatten was murdered by the IRA in 1979. His death was very hard on Charles.

o

Chase, now that you mention that, I remember the event and how shocking it was. I also remember that it was vry painful for Charles. Nice gesture on William's part to honor his father.

o

In the back of my head I'd somehow made the Louis Mountbatten connection.

In a way, I hope they call him George - kind of the way the British have with "eras" for reigns noted for historic events and achevements... Elizabethan, Jacobean, Victorian, Edwardian, Georgian, etc. But when they come to the throne, I understand they choose the name they wish to be known as.

o

You don't like George? I have a soft spot for that name as it was my favorite uncle's name. And both my kids were named after him (and others), but they were named for him in Hebrew so I didn't have to be limited in their english names :-)

Alex is good too.

Yes, nice gesture from William to honor his dad.

o

Louie would be a cute name. I forgot Harry was a Henry. All I can think of is Georgie Porgie... made the girls cry. Hope it's Alex.

Some of my boy cats have royal names..Louie, Henry, Simon?. Fitting because they think they're kings.

o

roll on the republic - the royals are an anachronism....or a tourist fad at best.....oh yeah, and tax dodgers too (those takers and scroungers).

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 15:05

Good choices.

George VI was a good king, when the nation needed one, and a pretty decent father, too, I think. And he saw the beginning of the end of the Empire. Nice that he will be so honored.

Yes, the monarchy is an anachronism, it really makes no sense. It may be time to "disestablish" the monarchy, and the CoE, let them sink or swim on their own. Of course, trot them out for ceremonial occasions, they do that quite well.

o

I think it was sweet to name him George because Elizabeth's father was a good king and was loved by the people. Louis was also a nice tribute by William to his great uncle. You can however use a name , like Harry/Henry, in successive generations. The Queen's mother was also Elizabeth.

If it weren't for a divorcee from Baltimore, all this would not be happening, and the line would have gone another direction.

o

George Alexander Louis

Let's spiff it up a bit.

Giorgio Alessandro Luigi... or Giorgino during his childhood.

o

I don't know about that, Lily. Assuming Edward VIII didn't abdicate or remained a bachelor in lieu of being allowed to marry Wallis or contracted into a morganatic marriage with her and remained childless, which was very likely in that pairing - Elizabeth would still be on the throne being the eldest daughter of George VI, brother of the abdicated Edward.

This hurts my brain... if Edward VIII hadn't abdicated but died childless as he did in 1972, Elizabeth's father - who died in 1952 - obviously would never have reigned and the succession would still have gone to Elizabeth - but by her coronation she'd have been a much older queen with 4 children.

o

I heard the other day that supporting the monarchy costs each person in the UK the equivalent of one American dollar--$1--but the money the UK earns exploiting them for all kinds of reasons runs into the billions.

o

Would that our politicians worked has hard and diligently for the people as the Queen does. She pays taxes and brings in a bundle in tourist dollars.....

London without Royalty would be just another old city. The history, pageantry and mystique makes it very special and very different.

Edited because spell check is not always your friend.

This post was edited by chase on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 17:59

o

I agree, chase--last time I was in London I went to the Tower for the first time and seeing the crown jewels and recalling when I saw them on her (on TV--I was never in her presence) and then riding the London Eye and looking over parliament--loved every minute. London would still be a remarkable city but the royal family adds a kind of excitement that I greatly enjoy.

o

Yes the jewels and the Places are so amazing......but HRH is house poor...not like she can sell any of it! LOL

o

Hard to imagine "James" -- with the Scots rebelling again and all. lol

Are William and Harry really tall, or do they just look tall when posed with (shorter) members of the family?

Buckingham Palace would make a great hotel -- could merge with the Goring. It's not a far commute from the prettier Hampton Court. The queen could get another yacht!

o

They are tall. William is apparently 6' 3" and Harry, just slightly shorter. Kate is 5' 10".

Ann

o

Thanks, Ann. That's not AS tall as I'd thought from the family photos. Our DS is six feet, as is our DIL. Their kids are set to tower over their parents. (I think Dutch men are supposed to be the world's tallest.)

o

Meanwhile, I guess every other baby born the other day will remain nameless....probably be real short too, and not so English either, most of 'em.

o

Mitt Romney announced a 22 grandchild born the very same day. No announcement of the name of the newborn boy. He does have one named Winston though.

o

And the British press (The Daily Mail anyway) prattles on with the likes of this:

"But for the mothers watching around the world as the Duchess of Cambridge walked out on to the steps of the Lindo Wing yesterday, the real delight was her ‘mummy tummy’.

That neat bump was the only thing which gave away the fact Kate had given birth to an 8lb 6oz boy just a day earlier.

And the glowing duchess clearly felt no need to hide it, a decision praised immediately by mothers’ groups.

Netmums founder Siobhan Freegard said the duchess had dispelled the ‘myth that all mothers should be perfect postpartum’.

‘In a couple of minutes on the steps of the Lindo Wing Kate has done more for new mums’ self-esteem than any other role model,’ she said."

Little George is cute, has handsome parents, has a nice name and will be richer than Croesus by tomorrow which is maybe 70+ years before he'll be king.

I don't need someone to hold my head as I barf. :-)

o

When I had my second child I was determined to get immediately back into my pre-baby jeans. I did...with much effort and arrived home with a perfect imprint of the zipper in my post baby tummy. Took those suckers off and put pre baby sweats on as soon as I could! Ahhhh.....

o

I'm afraid that, had Edward VIII not abdicated, everybody in the United Kingdom would be speaking German.

o

Being as how Elizabeth was destined to be Edward VIII's heir, I don't think so. :-) Although English is a West Germanic language, so, in effect...

Trivia warning... Before 1917 and the Windsor rename, the line was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Since Britain had been at war with Germany since 1914, anything German had a bad connotation.

Queen Victoria's grandson, King George V, officially declared that "all descendents in the male line of Queen Victoria, who are subjects of these realms, other than female descendents who marry or who have married, shall bear the name Windsor."

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 15:01

o

I think Sylvia's remarks are based on the fact that Edward was a known Nazi supporter and would likely have approached WW2 in a different manner than George did....

o

You're very likely right there - both Sylvia and chase.

Wallis did want to be queen at any price and the Germans would have exacted the unthinkable in return for their assistance in that matter.

o

Let's not forget that it's the Prime Minister and his cabinet and Parliament who run Great Britain, not the monarchy. Had Edward been king and had he displayed his pro-Nazi feelings as the war broke out, he and his grasping wife may have ended up in the Tower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here