Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pennsylvania's voter fraud admission

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 13:45

Defendants in a case against one of the nation's strictest voter ID laws in Pennsylvania made a major concession to plaintiffs this week, just days ahead of the start of the trial over the measure.

In a stipulation agreement signed earlier this month, state officials conceded that they had no evidence of prior in-person voter fraud, or even any reason to believe that such crimes would occur with more frequency if a voter ID law wasn't in effect.

"There have been no investigations or prosecutions of in-person voter fraud in Pennsylvania; and the parties do not have direct personal knowledge of any such investigations or prosecutions in other states," the statement reads.

According to the agreement, the state "will not offer any evidence in this action that in-person voter fraud has in fact occurred in Pennsylvania and elsewhere," nor will it "offer argument or evidence that in-person voter fraud is likely to occur in November 2012 in the absense of the Photo ID law."

Now I know that folks like Nik will say "but we need these preemptive steps to ensure it doesn't happen!"

And since Pennsylvania is a close state (isn't it?), now is the time to do it ....

Pennsylvania GOP House Majority Leader Mike Turzai fueled the concerns of anti-voter ID activists earlier this year when he claimed that the recently enacted measure would "allow Gov. [Mitt] Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania."

Yep, sounds like politics, not facts.

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pennsylvania's voter fraud admission

o

I want background checks before people can vote & morals clauses & Santa Clauses!

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 16:17

And there's more

Just weeks after those comments, Pennsylvania officials released a study finding that more than 758,000 registered voters in the state -- many of them in its urban center of Philadelphia -- lacked driver's licenses. While the law allows for a variety of other forms of identification to be used at polling places, the figure suggested that a large number of Pennsylvanians still didn't meet the criteria needed to cast ballots in the fall.

A lawsuit filed against the state's voter ID law by the ACLU and NAACP on behalf of lead plantiff Viviette Applewhite, a 93-year-old woman who claims she will be disenfranchised by the legislation because she won't be able to get valid documentation before the election, is set to go to trial on Wednesday. On Monday, the U.S. Department of Justice also announced that it was investigating whether the law discriminates against minorities.

Who elects these Bozos anyway - they are the ones we want to keep away from the polls. And anyone who voted for LePage in Maine.

o

crickets....

o

We have been saying for months on this forum that there is almost no evidence of voter fraud to justify these stringent new ID laws that may end up depriving bona fide citizens of their right to vote.

The conservative/T-Party types keep on insisting massive voting fraud is going on and pushing the ID laws as the only way to protect democracy. When asked for evidence, they never provide any. Why not? Because there is almost no evidence available no matter how hard they scrounge around searching for it.

Then, as esh_ga pointed out, a Republican announced publically what was going on--just what Democrats have been claiming was going on: Pennsylvania GOP House Majority Leader Mike Turzai . . . claimed that the recently enacted measure would "allow [Mitt] Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania."

Oops--guess our forum conservatives/T-partiers were wrong--and now they've been exposed by their own fellow Republicans.

You didn't believe us Democrats--do you now believe your own Republicans? It is all a ploy to suppress the Democratic vote so that the Republican candidate has a better chance of winning. It's politics, of the most blatant kind--and NOT concern about voter integrity.

Kate

o

...more crickets...

o

You didn't believe us Democrats--do you now believe your own Republicans?

I wouldn't expect an answer any time soon.

o

Of course crickets they got what they wanted!~

o

The silence is no surprise. IOIYAR.

I've dubbed it the 2010 effect. Low voter turnout. The only chance Republicans have at "winning" anything.

That, and outright criminal election fraud.

o

I found out too late there was a demonstration outside the capitol today. I would have gone had I known. Our windbag right wingnut talk show guy was ranting about these misfits demonstrating. Who doesn't have an ID?, he screamed. Then one of his guests came on...an independent pollster for Quinipiac, Terry Madonna, who never ever takes sides. He did today, and said it was outrageous and if it were reversed the GOP would be steaming.

Which is why there are crickets here.

o

I found out too late there was a demonstration outside the capitol today. I would have gone had I known. Our windbag right wingnut talk show guy was ranting about these misfits demonstrating. Who doesn't have an ID?, he screamed. Then one of his guests came on...an independent pollster for Quinipiac, Terry Madonna, who never ever takes sides. He did today, and said it was outrageous and if it were reversed the GOP would be steaming.

Which is why there are crickets here.

o

Lily do you find as someone that lives in Pa that we are way to reserve and info lacking? Is it our news reporters? Why is info so lacking? I am like you I did not hear about the demonstration until it was on the news.

I admit I have been busy carting people around and I have been exhausted in the evening by the time I cook diner I have been crawling up with a book or garden magazine to come down.

I am still amazed that a party would do this to win. I should not be surprised but I still find it incredibly un-American. We should be better as a country since we are always putting our nose in other countries business about having a democracy and fair voting practices.

o

"Now I know that folks like Nik will say "but we need these preemptive steps to ensure it doesn't happen!""

Well put. Whether one wants to cash a check or cast a vote, photo ID is a perfectly reasonable precaution. Leave it to Democrats to throw a tantrum anyway.

o

An interesting column in today's Washington post about what would/should happen if Romney wins the election due to voter suppression in the key swing states. I thought it was a bit over-board, but it did point out that some of this stuff, like laws that make the photo id have an expiration date means that student ids, which often don't have these dates, are not valid.

But the main point of the column is legit, that if a large part of the population believes that the election was rigged, it doesn't bode well for the future.

Speaking from personal experience here, the massive cuts to state personnel over the past years make any dealings with the bureaucracy time consuming and a major hassle, in a lot of places, there is no public transportation to these offices, and to top it all off, having a photo id such as a drivers license does not mean you're a citizen if you received your license prior to 9/11. My wife had a valid license for a decade before she became being naturalized, with no notation at all that she wasn't a citizen. And if we had wanted to, with that license, she could have registered to vote.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to column

o

Yes, a temper tantrum, that's what it is.

o

You know, this is truly screwy logic: In order to have fair elections, we need to pass voter ID requirements that unfairly exclude a number of legitimate citizens of this country.

Nik, your own Republican leader announced to the world that the voter ID requirements will ensure that Republicans win the next election. What do you have to say to your political comrade? Are you also in favor of fixed elections? Or are you saying the Republican leader is wrong?

Kate

o

Well put. Whether one wants to cash a check or cast a vote, photo ID is a perfectly reasonable precaution. Leave it to Democrats to throw a tantrum anyway.

Nik if you really are so insecure that your candidate cannot win without cheating it says a lot about a party. It is quickly becoming the laughable party that know they do not have a large enough base to vote for them.

There are people that do not want or need to write a check so they do not have a ID. One population that comes to mind is the Amish people. I do not think it is a need for them to write checks and would not have a need to have an ID to cash checks or have a driver's license.

o

And you sure as hell know that if it were reversed, there would be hair pulling from the other side, Nik. . If this election turns into 2000 because of this and trying to verify IDs, there will be chaos caused by the teabaggers, the absolute worse bunch to ever infiltrate American politics.

Florida was lost by 527 votes in 2000, and those few votes changed the history of this country forever. I said to my husband then..let's hope this dumbass doesn't do something stupid. We know the rest. You Righties are so scared you'll lose , you'll do any dirty trick you can. I hope it comes back to bite you in the ass.

o

The case is being held today and may continue a week. BOTH sides conceded before it started that there was no evidence of fraud. Wanna know WHY I hate the GOP????

o

o

Any kind of roadblock helps. "Divide and Conquer" I say.

-Ron-

o

Remind me--how many primaries did the Republicans rig to make Romney the "winner"?

o

Funny Nancy.

o

Still crickets...

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 17:39

"Florida was lost by 527 votes in 2000, and those few votes changed the history of this country forever. I said to my husband then..let's hope this dumbass doesn't do something stupid. We know the rest. You Righties are so scared you'll lose , you'll do any dirty trick you can. I hope it comes back to bite you in the ass.

It did Lily, but they have amnesia and it's hard see to bite scars on one's own ass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here