Return to the Hot Topics Forum

o
Mitty abroad

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 13:50

Old Willard is sticking his foot in his mouth already, and he just got there. He was criticizing the security at the Olympics which didn't go over so well. He back petaled. Then he said he and Netanyahu were good friends, old friends in fact. Netanyahu said.."we didn't have any connection. I knew him and he knew me, I suppose."

Liar liar, pants on fire..Be impressed people of the world. He's Anglo Saxon, and the other guy..well, he's different. He's black from Kenya, doncha know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mitty abroad

Mr. Netanyahu might be misremembering in this case.

A Friendship Dating to 1976 Resonates in 2012

But in 1976, the lives of Mitt Romney and Benjamin Netanyahu intersected, briefly but indelibly, in the 16th-floor offices of the Boston Consulting Group, where both had been recruited as corporate advisers. At the most formative time of their careers, they sized each other up during the firm's weekly brainstorming sessions, absorbing the same profoundly analytical view of the world.

That shared experience decades ago led to a warm friendship, little known to outsiders, that is now rich with political intrigue. Mr. Netanyahu, the prime minister of Israel, is making the case for military action against Iran as Mr. Romney, the likely Republican presidential nominee, is attacking the Obama administration for not supporting Mr. Netanyahu more robustly.

The relationship between Mr. Netanyahu and Mr. Romney -- nurtured over meals in Boston, New York and Jerusalem, strengthened by a network of mutual friends and heightened by their conservative ideologies -- has resulted in an unusually frank exchange of advice and insights on topics like politics, economics and the Middle East...

Only a few weeks ago, on Super Tuesday, Mr. Netanyahu delivered a personal briefing by telephone to Mr. Romney about the situation in Iran.

"We can almost speak in shorthand," Mr. Romney said in an interview. "We share common experiences and have a perspective and underpinning which is similar."

Mr. Netanyahu attributed their "easy communication" to what he called "B.C.G.'s intellectually rigorous boot camp." [...]

"To the extent that their personal relationship would give Netanyahu entree to the Romney White House in a way that he doesn't now have to the Obama White House," Mr. Indyk said, "the prime minister would certainly consider that to be a significant advantage."

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 14:09

Mitty's a broad?

Mitt Romney 2012
First Woman President

o

So, with Romney, we can definitely expect another war? It would appear so. Good for business, dontcha know...

o

A foreign policy adviser to Mitt Romney's campaign warned against policies that would aid "the Soviet Union" Wednesday, making him at least the third person from Team Romney - including Romney himself - to refer to a country that hasn't existed since 1991 in the course of attacking President Obama's foreign policy.

/geography and world history, who needs 'em?

o

Romney and his team are so far removed from reality it is beginning to become scary.

It's become a constant "open mouth, stick in foot, take a huge chomp at eat that foot".

And the worst of it, is it does appear that they believe what they are saying, at least until someone catches them with that foot in the mouth being eaten.

Then there is the spin around stuff, the "oops I didn't really mean that" or it's more of the "clarification needed". bit.

What is it that this people don't get? Are they really this dumb and stupid?

o

Don't forget the pledge by Mitt to restore Anglo-Saxon relations with England. What the h$ll does that mean? Some one should clue him in to the fact that the Angles and Saxons have been out of power since the Norman Conquest.

o

He's often reminds me of Sarah P.

o

was thinking the same thing JZ, beginning to sound like "2 peas in a pod".

o

Someone is lying. Wonder why Netanyahu said what he said which is a direct quote. " I remember him for sure but I don't think we had any particular connections, I knew him and he knew me, I suppose."

Vgkg..lol

o

"To the extent that their personal relationship would give Netanyahu entree to the Romney White House in a way that he doesn't now have to the Obama White House," Mr. Indyk said, "the prime minister would certainly consider that to be a significant advantage."

And let's not forget Adelson the king maker. He basically owns Bibi and he is looking to own Romney too. Nothing like being able to buy a President and a PM. Next...?

o

""""""""""""""/geography and world history, who needs 'em?

So true David..........not even obama seems to need em.

Let's see, how many states do we now have? According to obama 57 states???

In December of 2011, President Obama said, "It is great to be back in the state of Texas." while giving an economic speech in Osawatomie, Kan.

During obama's inaugural address, he said, "Forty four Americans have now taken the presidential oath."

While in Roaring Falls South Dakota obama said "Thank you Sioux City....I said it wrong. I've been in Iowa for too long. I'm sorry."

In Cape Girardeau, Missouri, Obama showed off his knowledge regarding languages when he made this comment regarding translators: "We only have a certain number of them and if they are all in Iraq, then it's harder for us to use them in Afghanistan." Could the fact that Iraqis speak Arabic or Kurdish and Afghanis speak Pashto, Farsi, or other non-Arabic languages, mr obama, be the real reason it is harder?

Obama told a story about his uncle being part of the American brigade that helped to liberate Auschwitz only to have a campaign spokesman later state that obama was mistaken and it was actually one of the concentration camps at Buchenwald.

And let's not forget obama's comment during one of his foreign trips "I don't know what the term is in Austrian" for "wheeling and dealing." Don't think there is is a term in Austrian since there is no Austrian language.

"""""""""""""Old Willard is sticking his foot in his mouth already, and he just got there.

Guess he and obama could both use a pair of peppermint shoes huh lily? All public speakers/politicians make gaffes so what makes it so much worse for Mitt, or any conservative for that matter? When Bush or Mitt misspeak they are idiots when obama does it it's a different story and obama has definitely has his fair share of "foot in mouth moments".

During a Memorial Day speech obama stated "On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes ..... and I see many of them in the audience here today........ our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."

In obama's speech at Ft. Drum in 2011 he said "I had the great honor of seeing some of you because a comrade of yours, Jared Monti, was the first person who I was able to award the Medal of Honor to who actually came back and wasn't receiving it posthumously.".............. Jared Monti was killed in 2006 and the Medal of Honor was awarded posthumously on September 17, 2009.

When Larry King asked obama about "that anti-Hillary Rodham Clinton YouTube ad, a doctored version of a spot created for Apple computers obama disavowed the possibility that the ad was created by his campaign staff by answering "We don't have the technical capacity to create something like that."

How about obama's trip to England in 2011 where he signed the guestbook with the year 2008 and continued toasting the Queen of England after the British national anthem started playing.

Then there was the time obama was asked about his bowling game on the Jay Leno show obamas comment was "It's like � it was like Special Olympics, or something."

o

Oh, gosh, what a devastating rebuttal.

o

I figured his trip was to visit his money!

o

"London Mayor Boris Johnson mocked Mitt Romney as the Olympic torch was being lit Thursday, telling a crowd in Hyde Park, "There is a guy called Mitt Romney who wants to know if we are ready. Are we ready?""

"Cameron also fired back at Romney's concerns over security, and suggested British officials were dealing with more complex issues than Romney faced when he ran the show. "We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest, most active, bustling cities anywhere in the world," Cameron said. "Of course it's easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere."

Nor did the British press seem to appreciate Romney's advice. "Mitt Romney questions London's readiness for Olympic Games," blared The Guardian, in a story that dwelt on Romney's criticisms of the Games. The Telegraph couldn't conceal its opinion of Romney's remarks, writing, "if Mitt Romney doesn't like us, we shouldn't care," and accusing Romney of launching a "charm offensive" that is "devoid of charm and mildly offensive."

Romney was in damage-control mode Thursday, walking back his critiques and expressing confidence in the Games in a short statement after his meeting with Cameron."

Maybe when he gets to Poland and Israel things will go better.

o

How nice of Lady Brat to keep that list for occasions like this!

o

As Chris Matthews commented yesterday, Romney is desperately trying to run to the Right of what the Obama administrations policy toward Iran is (severe sanctions) but one step to the Right is War.

Romney is so malleable that one has to be concerned that NeoCons would convince him to start a shooting War with Iran.
Most of Romney's foreign policy advisers are from the Bush administration so what new?

o
!RE: Mitty abroad

At a boisterous pre-Olympics rally on Thursday, London's mayor, Boris Johnson, ridiculed the presumptive Republican presidential nominee for his remarks questioning the city's readiness for the games.

"People are coming from around the world and they're seeing us," Johnson told the estimated 60,000-person crowd, who had gathered to mark the end of the Olympic Torch relay. "They are seeing the greatest city in the world!"

He then turned his comments to Romney.

"There are some people who are coming from around the world who don't yet know about all the preprations we've done to get London ready in the last seven years," he said. "I heard there's a guy called Mitt Romney who wants to know whether we're ready. Are we ready? Yes we are!"

To top it off, Johnson finished his appearance by leading the crowd in a chant of 'Yes We Can,' President Barack Obama's famous campaign slogan from 2008.

"Can we put on the greatest Olympics games that have ever been held?" he asked. "Can we beat France? Yes we can! Can we beat Australia? Yes we can!"

o

I'm really thrilled that the Anglo Saxon gene kicked in and saved the day! Perhard Mr Obama could loan him some Hibernian wit to work his way out of it, rather than that placid (I just swallowed excrement smile)
"Who invited him?" asked the The Daily Mail, going on to call Romney's British visit "humiliating"

The Daily Mail also reported on what it considered another gaffe, calling it "cringe-worthy" when Romney referred to British opposition leader Ed Miliband as "Mr. Leader" after the two men sat down for their own meeting. Other media suggested Romney had forgotten Miliband's name.

Times of London columnist Janice Turner wondered how Romney will manage trips to actual troublespots.

"So Mitt Romney disses our Olympics. We're the Special Relationship, the easypeasy bit of US foreign relations. How will he deal with China?" she Tweeted.

AND the best is yet to come.

A fundraiser ......

Romney has also raised eyebrows for a fundraiser Thursday night that was expected to attract employees of Barclays bank, the first financial institution to confess to manipulating a key market index.

Bob Diamond, the disgraced former head of Barclays, was slated to host the fundraiser but has since cancelled. Barclays has been fined US$453 million by American and British authorities.

o

And you thought "the ugly America" was a myth. Brits (and that includes the English) are generally speaking kind, thank goodness Winston Churchill was not part of Romney's welcoming party. Winnie didn't have a good reputation for suffering fools.

o

Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 18:19

Mitt Romney 2012
Planet Pleasing!

o

While we are piling on, I just want to say that I find Romney's distancing of himself from his wife's Olympic dressage horse competition really lame. Maybe its alittle elitist, but that's what your wife loves and where she puts alot of her time. C'mon, you don't even know when your wife's horse will be competing and are not sure you will watch?! Don't be a total jerk.

My sister rode dressage and I can tell you she put in alot of work. Dressage is not "horse dancing" as Romney critics like to say - it is a very formalized coordinated performance of horse and rider doing maneuvers that evolved from cavalry movements and battlefield maneuvers involving close coordination between horse and rider. Its just so lame that Romney is so afraid of the backlash from his base that he can't stand up and express support for his wife. I doubt it is all that big a deal with conservative blue collar voters frankly - its not like his core base are the simple louts the GOP leaders like to think they are.

o

At the link is a good description of dressage and the horse in question, bringing up the breeding and so on.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

"Mitt Romney made another gaffe on his London trip Romney�s meeting with MI6 head Sir John Sawers was not on the Republican�s public schedule � and Romney made a major blunder by revealing it, CBS News and The Guardian reported.
" "I can only say that I appreciated the insights and perspectives of the leaders of the government here and opposition here as well as the head of MI6 as we discussed Syria and the hope for a more peaceful future for that country," Romney told reporters at a press conference Thursday."

o

Thanks for the link David. I had to chuckle at the need for sports psychology to address Rafalca's "ghost" scares. It just makes me sick to think of all the poor working class horses without national healthcare who get up and go to work every day without proper mental health treatment or sports counseling. The 1% of horses really have it good.

I'll certainly tune in to root for Rafalca even if Mitt won't.

o

Here is the directly quote from the Vanity Fair article about Netanyahu:

Netanyahu is once reported to have said�he now denies it�that he "speaks English with a heavy Republican accent." "Israel�s current prime minister is not just a friend, he�s an old friend," Mitt Romney, with whom Netanyahu worked at the Boston Consulting Group in the 1970s, told aipac in March. (Romney, Netanyahu suggests, may have overstated the tie. "I remember him for sure, but I don�t think we had any particular connections," he tells me. "I knew him and he knew me, I suppose.")

o

International relations at its finest (not). Truth is stranger than fiction. Ironic that the meeting that he couldn't keep secret was with MI6. If it wasn't so sad and frightening that this man is running for Prez it could be funny.

His handlers must be livid. Lots of OT tonight. They have a lot work ahead of them with damage control on both sides of the pond. DH and the kids are there for the games. He said it has been an interesting day to be an Amerian in London, to say the least.

Mitt Romney this years gift that keeps on giving.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 21:00

He's so full of himself, he thinks he can say anything. The man is clueless, but he's good for a laugh, on both sides of the Atlantic.

Sadly, he opens his mouth and puts his foot in before his brain is engaged. This trip must be quite an ordeal for his handlers.

o

Not just humiliating but dangerous on the eve of the Olympics.

I do believe Obama has a good bit of English ancestary on his mothers side.

So Israel and Poland...sounds like it is a neoCONNED...

o

When are they going to break it to Romney and his handlers that the Soviet Union hasn't existed for many, many years? Hope he doesn't cry.

o

Wow even the so called right wing paper The Daily MAIL described him as.
'Devoid of charm, offensive and a wazzock'

Fox did'nt drive a whaambulance over the deal but they just chalked it up this way.

The Brits, taking a break from beating up on their own politicians over the state of the economy, made major sport out of a seemingly minor gaffe Thursday from Mitt Romney.

Guess the couldn't creatively edit it

o

I don't know, labrea, I saw a clip of Charles Krauthammer who was getting all apoplectic.

Regarding Prime Minister David Cameron�s quip that you could easily hold the Olympics in "the middle of nowhere," Krauthammer said he was clearly referring to Utah, the state where Romney helped run the Winter Olympics in 2002. He said that Romney�s comments on the London Olympics were "unbelievable," "incomprehensible," and "a lot of other adjectives." Krauthammer said Romney shouldn�t be saying anything on his international trip, except for kind words about the countries he is visiting.

Krauthammer rattled off a list of reasons why President Obama has, in his opinion, damaged the special relationship between the two countries, and marveled at how Romney was already getting all sorts of heated criticism.

"All Romney has to do, say nothing. It�s like a guy in the 100-meter dash. All he has to do is to finish, he doen�t have to win. And instead, he tackles the guy in the lane next to him and ends up disqualified. I don�t get it."

o

He was more than stupid. Stupid is to make those comments, really stupid is to do so when you want the world to be watching. He blew it big time in GB.....the country he shares Angol-American roots with....

And for all you Romney worshipers , could you imagine if a high level political figure came to the States and publicly questioned their ability to run a successful Olympics.....game over.

With Romney when you scratch the surface.....you're scratching the bottom.

o

He was more than stupid. Stupid is to make those comments, really stupid is to do so when you want the world to be watching. He blew it big time in GB.....the country he shares Angol-American roots with....

And for all you Romney worshipers , could you imagine if a high level political figure came to the States and publicly questioned their ability to run a successful Olympics.....game over.

With Romney when you scratch the surface.....you're scratching the bottom.

o

Who is a Romney worshipper?

o

Beats me....its actually totally beyond me.

Any comment on the appropriateness of his remarks in London?

o

I personally don't care if he acts the fool - he's not the President yet. He's just another American abroad.

But I do hope that people over here take note of how he handles himself.

People used to accuse Obama supporters of fawning over everything he did; I doubt anyone will ever be able to say that about Romney supporters. There's no such thing as a "Romney worshipper".

o

It's just "Romney being Romney". As long as he is reading from a script, he's fine, he sounds wonderful, even intelligent. Get him off script, without his teleprompter, his piece of paper to read and it's all over for the Mitt.

What you see is what you get with this character. Now if only the people will wake up to reality and not vote for this fool.

o

"Mitt Romney made another gaffe on his London trip Thursday by acknowledging he met with the head of Britain's MI6 intelligence agency, according to reports.

Romney's meeting with MI6 head Sir John Sawers was not on the Republican's public schedule - and Romney made a major blunder by revealing it, CBS News and The Guardian reported.

"I can only say that I appreciated the insights and perspectives of the leaders of the government here and opposition here as well as the head of MI6 as we discussed Syria and the hope for a more peaceful future for that country," Romney told reporters at a press conference Thursday.

Britain's Foreign and Commonwealth Office told CBS News that "Sir John Sawers meets many people, but we don't give a running commentary on any of these private meetings."

As The Guardian pointed out, MI6 was not officially acknowledged until 1994. "For our American readership, this isn't like bragging you just met David Petraeus. The British take on the national secret intelligence service comes with an extra-heavy dollop of the whole secret thing," the Guardian's Tom McCarthy wrote."

o

Romney wanted to give the impression that he had conferred with British Intelligence about Syria, which if true, would not only be abhorrent to those in the UK, but also to those of us in the U.S. and elsewhere around the world.

Outsourcing jobs at Bain to foreign countries and hidng money in offshore accounts has not endowed Romney with the kind of foreign policy experience that Americans need or want.

o

Lady Brat said: "While in Roaring Falls South Dakota obama said "Thank you Sioux City . . . ."

When should we break it to Lady Brat that she also committed a gaffe. There is no "Roaring Falls" in South Dakota. There is, however, a Sioux Falls, and Obama is not the first to accidentally say Sioux City (Iowa) which is a little over an hour's drive away when he actually meant Sioux Falls (SD). They are the only 2 cities of any size in the whole southeast quarter of the state (and Sioux City is just a hop, skip, and a jump across the border).

No big deal, especially since Lady Brat is not running for a major office, but to South Dakotans and Iowans, the mis-speak of the person trying to "correct" Obama was funny for another reason.

Back to presidential politics: Did anyone point out to Lady Brat that mis-speaking is different than actually offending the hosts of foreign countries one should be trying to set up good relations with?

Kate

o

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 13:50

"Then he said he and Netanyahu were good friends, old friends in fact. Netanyahu said.."we didn't have any connection. I knew him and he knew me, I suppose."
Liar liar, pants on fire..Be impressed people of the world."

Posted by nancy_in_venice_ca SS24 z10 CA (My Page) on Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 14:02

"Mr. Netanyahu might be misremembering in this case."

Well done, Nancy.

o

Hey, Elvis ...Try reading all the posts especially the one from JZ about the Vanity Fair article because the quote I gave was the exact thing he said.

And Brat, Flgypsy or whoever you are today...impressive list of a guy campaigning furiously across the country. A misspeak on a city or state is understandable. To insult a whole country is a different story.

Maybe it's unAmerican but I hope London's Olympics totally blow the socks off Mitty's.

o

Nobody worships Romney. Romney had a fundraiser in London at $25,000 a plate, it should come as no surprise that the guests were, if not Romney worshipers, money worshipers.

The menu included suckling pig and chips and was served by Spanish waiters as the English don't know how to do it. Either that or he was afraid he would get a lap full of hot soup!

o

To insult a whole country is a different story.

Do you mean like Barry's apology tour? Of course he was only insulting us lazy Americans.

o

Well, some of us Americans are not lazy, so we weren't insulted.

Kate

o

Well since he didn't say "some" Americans are lazy, those of us who aren't should be especially insulted.

o

Do you mean like Barry's apology tour?
We are supposed to follow the rights mythology down a rabbit hole Please K either post whole cloth or just stop with these ridiculous teasers.
(Ridiculous) the teaser is worthy of ridicule not you. Jest so we don't have whaaaambulance crew in here saying I'm attacking you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloomberg

o

Do you mean like Barry's apology tour? Of course he was only insulting us lazy Americans.

Another statement that has been twisted beyond recognition. Do you guys really have such bad comprehension skills?

o

Well done, Nancy.

No wondering why Netanyahu would now distance himself from Romney?

No wondering if the U.S. public's reluctance to begin another war in the Middle East/Central Asia and Netanyahu's endorsement of such a war might have made Romney's friend try to distance himself from the candidate?

o

"Undergirding Mitt Romney's trip to Europe and Israel this week was a single concept: President Obama has weakened the view of America in the eyes of foreign leaders thanks to a policy of appeasement and "apology." How the world views America is important, Romney said, and he's going to see to it that America's reputation overseas is bolstered on his watch.

Within 24 hours of Romney landing abroad, that premise had unraveled and Romney's own top surrogates were scoffing at the notion that foreign opinions of America mattered at all to American voters.

Romney undermined his own message even before he left for London, when he told a fundraiser audience in San Francisco Sunday night that America was in decline, and that the foreign minister of Australia had told him so (the foreign minister denied he put it just that way).

"This idea of America in decline, it was interesting he said that, he led the talk of America being in decline," Romney said about his conversation with the Australian official. "See that's not talk we hear about here as much as they're hearing there. And if they're thinking about investing in America, entrepreneurs putting their future in America, if they think America's in decline they're not gonna do it."

That's Romney making it crystal clear that headlines overseas are pretty important here in the U.S. At his big VFW speech a couple days later, Romney attacked Obama relentlessly for wrecking America's reputation overseas.

"Sadly, the president has diminished American leadership," Romney said in the speech. "If we don't have the strength to lead, other powers will pull history in a different direction."

It's similar to a line Romney has used often, attacking Obama for "apologizing" for America overseas. This idea of international perception of the U.S. is the linchpin to Romney's foreign policy attacks.

Yet when his own trip went down in flames in the British press and among foreign politicians, one of his own top surrogates told reporters that what's said overseas stays overseas.

"We're not worried about overseas headlines. We're worried about voters back here in America," Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) said on a Romney campaign conference call Thursday, amid the thick of British attacks on Romney's visit. "I think the focus needs to continue to be on what's happening here at home. That's what's important to voters."

Here is a link that might be useful: Oh, never mind

o

Lets face it Mitt is a disaster. There is no denying that from his performance. But the serious problem will be if he is elected the damage he could do is scary.

When Bush took the wheel we had a cushions. There is no room to hang on by a thread. We are at the end of the thread.

When President Bush took office in 2001, he inherited a $236 billion budget surplus. We do not have the money or credit standing to go back.

o

The gigantic headline in London's newspaper today said "MITT THE TWIT!!". I am loving Willard's most excellent European holiday. Maybe the rest of the world will see him as we do.

o

"Mitt Romney might be having the worst English vacation since Harald Hardrade's,*** and his is only two days old."

***Among English speakers, he is generally remembered for his failed invasion of England in 1066. Harald's death at the Battle of Stamford Bridge which brought an end to that invasion is often recorded as the end of the Viking Age. (Wiki)

Here is a link that might be useful: For your reading pleasure

o

Knows how to make a deal not so good with the underlings aka the rest of the world.

o

Open mouth, insert foot. The man has no diplomatic skills at all, and is incredibly inarticulate, as he has shown us over and over again, on the campaign trails. Can you imagine what a disaster Mitt will be with foreign policy, if elected? If he cannot communicate in a diplomatic way with the Mother Country in our common language, can you imagine what a piece of work he will be with China or Russia or Afghanistan?

o

Just musing on the worst case scenario - who'd Romney tap for his Sec'y of State?

Somehow I see John Bolton on top of the short list. I believe a bond was forged when both came out against the New START with Russia. Romney-Bolton, the stuff of which nightmares are made, but it would be a confirmation hearing I'd like to watch.

o

Can we place bets about the issue of Mormon post-mortem baptism coming up in Israel?

o

Well even Obama sort of screwed with that START treaty by placing missiles in Romania the Russians were justifiably miffed at that little deal.
I remember the brain surgeons on here pooh poohing it after they drank the fox koolaid that showed a video clip over & over claiming OBAMA was being dissed by the Russians.
Obama introducing Medvedev & the chimps were howling that he was dissed. You can still find loads of sites that report it the other way even though most of the major sites that had it scrubbed it from the next.

Here is a link that might be useful: MO rons

o

If they're not worried about overseas opinions then what did it matter what Obama said overseas?

o

From London, todays quotes that Romney woke up to

"Mitt the Twit," declared The Sun tabloid, condemning Romney as a "wannabe president."

The Independent headlined its take on Romney's trip "Romneyshambles"�accusing him of not only committing a diplomatic gaffe but later "the cardinal sin of U.S. politics, flip-flopping" on his criticism.

The Daily Telegraph suggested Romney's "Olympic gaffe" had overshadowed his trip to London.
Meanwhile, the conservative Daily Mail slammed Romney as "devoid of charm, offensive and a wazzock."

Romney's comments led newscasts on both Sky News and the BBC on Thursday night and early Friday morning, just hours ahead of the Olympic opening ceremonies here.
"Is this guy really prepared to be president?" one Sky News reporter asked in his Thursday night report about Romney's day in London. The reporter trashed the GOP candidate's comments as "just daft."

Now will the US voter wake up and see reality? Romney is nothing more than pure disaster and would be exactly that as President of the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: London Press on Romney

o

But does he like the size of their trees? That's the burning issue.

o

Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 17:39

Mitt Romney 2012
Man of the World!

(just not this one....)

o

Mitt Romney 2012
Man of the World!
(just not this one....)

Oh, you make me laugh!
Thanks again, vgkg

Sea

o

Vgkg..Is this how you spend your day? Making up witty Mitty tags? You should publish them. A slogan a day. Remember what rhymes with Mitt. Maybe you could use that..lol

o

There was an old man called Mitt

Who reckoned himself Brad Pitt

He made loads of dough, didn't you know

But his bread was spread deep in split

o

Mitt the Twitt came from the Conservative Rupert Murdoch owner of Fox News.

Forget apologizing for America, America is going to have to apologize for Romney.

o

Well, so much for first impressions. You only have one chance to make a good one. Too bad he didn't.

Mitt brought the ugly American to the world stage. He didn't stop with one, or even two or three gaffes. Like the energizer bunny he just kept on going and going and going. Thankfully there are only 24 hours in a day.

Test 1: International diplomacy. Score: FAIL

But its all good. He has him American flag pin on so all is forgiven. :(

The Guardian's assessment of Mittgate or "How not to win friends or influence anyone (in a good way)".

Oh, Mitt: those Romney gaffes in full

Boobs, blunders, clangers - whatever you call them, Romney likes to drop them. And he's really outdone himself in London

From criticising the biggest sporting event Britain has held in over 40 years, to "looking out of the backside of 10 Downing Street", Mitt Romney's first foreign trip of his presidential candidacy hasn't gone quite as well as he might have hoped. As the former Massachusetts governor continues to gaffe his way across London, here's a round-up of Romney's red-facers. So far.

On the Olympics: 'There are a few things that are disconcerting'

On Wednesday, the day he arrived in London, Romney was interviewed by NBC's Brian Williams. In a softball warm-up question, Williams asked Romney about his wife's horse, Rafalca, which will be in competition in the dressage, and whether Britain looked ready to host the Olympics. Easy, surely? Not for Romney.

Red-face rating: 8/10. Take that, Romney! Now get that horse out of my sight.

On Ed Miliband: 'Mr Leader'

On to a meeting with the leader of the opposition Labour party, Ed Miliband - a man often criticised for being awkward and lacking a common touch. They should have got on famously. But Romney seemed to forget Miliband's name. "Like you, Mr Leader, I look forward to our conversations this morning," Romney said.

Red-face rating: 3/10. You're not in North Korea now, mate

On meeting the leader of MI6: 'Appreciating insights'

The existence of MI6, the international arm of the British secret service, was not officially acknowledged until 1994, 82 years after it was established. But the organisation is still shrouded in secrecy, and its operations - and the diary schedule of its chief - are rarely acknowledged. But here comes Romney, in fully open mode: "I appreciated the insights and perspectives of the leaders of the government here and the opposition here as well as the head of MI6".

Got any pics, Mitt?

Red-face rating: 5/10. "Area 51? Yeah, I went. Saw a load of aliens there. What of it?"

At Downing Street: 'Looking out through No 10's backside'

Firstly, in Britain, "backside" means "azz". As in the part of the body. Secondly, "10 Downing Street" is often used in political reporting as a synonym for a press spokesman for the prime minister, in the same way as "the White House" can say things or have opinions.

Red-face rating: 2/10. A minor linguistic misunderstanding.

Strictly speaking, this one isn't Romney's fault, but still, the media loves a narrative, and this comment certainly plays into it. Before the trip had even begun, a Romney "adviser" was quoted as saying the Republican contender would be better placed than Barack Obama to sustain the transatlantic relationship with the UK because of a shared "Anglo-Saxon heritage.

The racially-tinged remarks prompted outrage, and cued a stinging attack from vice-president Joe Biden. Andrea Saul, the senior Romney spokeswoman, attempted to row back but the damage was done.

Red-face rating: 8/10. What a way to begin.

A final indignity: bashed by Boris

The London mayor, Boris Johnson, is not unfamiliar with foot-in-mouth syndrome. So it must have been particularly humiliating to be taunted by Johnson, speaking to a crowd of thousands at an Olympic torch ceremony in Hyde Park.

Red-face rating: 10/10. Time to go home?

That was only on day one of Romney diplomacy. If he keeps this up, by the time he gets to Poland we are so screwed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oh, Mitt....

o

Karl Rove added to the dump!

"You have to shake your head. Gov. Romney went to the London Olympics at invitation of the International Olympic Committee. It was a great opportunity for him to talk about his experiences, look, he stepped away from the leadership of Bain Capital for three years in order to step in and save the floundering Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002. I bet there is lots of stories he could be talking about what a wonderful experience that was and how uplifting and inspiring it was. Instead he got stuck making a, somehow or another that the comments the Brits took as insult, and walked it back pretty quickly and walked it back adroitly but nonetheless the damage was done.

I guess Chris Christie is licking his chops dreaming of 2016 he says he open to run ba ba but what about Willard's 2nd term

o

I notice Mitt Romney's referred to as "old Mitt" in the OP. He's 65. I got the impression that you were older than that, Lily. Or is the "old" designation a fond teasing sort of thing?

o

The President did a similar kind of trip when he was running for office. 200,000 turned up to hear and uplifting speech in Berlin.

o

labrea...lol...paste and copy. Good job but I think it was
Justin Bieber they came out to see. :)
I like your humor.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 1:41

Maybe Romney can make Bieber his new running mate.

o

It does not matter what mitt said the British papers would make a tornado in teapot about it. if he said nothing there still be 20 weird headlines about it. the British papers are known for there BS stories and headlines.

o

It's just a fond teasing, Elvis. Mitty and I are of the same generation.

Littleone..You said sometimes Romney even seems intelligent when he's reading off a prepared text. Somehow I never got that impression of him. I don't think he's dumb like Bush was, I think he lacks something in his personality. His sons seem to have not fallen far from the tree. Mitt seems cold, calculating,unemphatic,detached, and far removed from the average person. When he gets excited he sorta gasps as he rapidly speaks. I just don't like or trust him.

o

Maybe he can borrow Obama's teleprompters. Although I'm not sure Obama's handlers will ever let him give a speech without them again.

o

How the British press report it is not the point. The point is his comments about the olympics we're rude and arrogant . He insulted the organizers of the olympics and by extention the British people, and more than annoyed the PM and the mayor of London.

Mind you there are those who will shrug that off a unimportant in a person who is seeking to be "the leader of the free World"

o

Hate to tell you mrsk. He has his own teleprompter already.

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 6:31

Maybe he can borrow Obama's teleprompters. Although I'm not sure Obama's handlers will ever let him give a speech without them again.

Have you got your "I built my business Mr. President" bumper stickers and T shirts? ;)

Now THERE is an opportunity for income!

o

I forgot to include the link about Romney and teleprompters.

o

Which bumper would you stick it on Demi the one you carved out of wood with your own hands and flint chisels?

o

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 8:43

Which bumper would you stick it on Demi the one you carved out of wood with your own hands and flint chisels?

Stirring the pot, eh?

I'm feeling charitable towards you this morning so I'll give you a pass for being nasty.

Please note I've never made personal, smarmy remarks to you for giving your opinion.

I wish I could say the same about you.

That wasn't really a pass, was it? ;)

Now, to answer your question, I don't "do" bumper stickers
and only "do" T shirts when associated with cancer walks, etc.

But a marquee....

o

I thought my riposte was a return in kind Demi rather than a
"personal, smarmy remark(s)".

o

Oh, well I apologize then.

It's hard to tell sometimes. ;)

o

Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 9:34

LOL, nah Lily I don't spend my day thinking up Mitty bumper stickers, after reading a Mitt thread it takes about 5 seconds and few words to sum up my thoughts on it. In fact it was Mskjun who inspired me when she first posted her Obama bumper sticker ("It could have been worse") a few months ago, when I corrected her spelling changing the "c" to a "w".

As mentioned earlier, after posting here through 3 prez elections I'm a little short winded so bumper stickers can say it all at times.

btw, if anyone who sees my bumper stickers here think they are worthwhile repeating or even printing please do so all you like. I have no copyrights on these and my reward is just to share with the nation ;o)

Mitt Romney 2012
Fill in the Blank

o

They all use teleprompters, and now you know why.

Now they need to make a personal teleprompter so Mitt doesn't screw up again. Doesn't he wear an earpiece to stay in touch with his handlers? I guess he'd hear too much groaning, that would interfere with his "spontaneity." And it wouldn't give him any warmth, or charm.

Johnson was the first President to use one, though Herbert Hoover used a paper-scrolling prompter at the GOP Convention in 1952. It certainly makes speeches look more natural, no more looking down at the printed page, losing your place, or having pages blow away.

And it does matter, to Americans, that Romney has screwed up. The last thing we need is a President who is continually apologizing for saying stupid things, not only about our allies, or enemies, but about us. Just look at the stupid things Governor LePage has said about the citizens of Maine, some of which he has even apologized for. Now multiply that by 300 million citizens.

Romney is an evolving train wreck (oh, wait, he probably doesn't believe in evolution), so he's just a train wreck.

o

Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 10:07

Geeeze, has Romney already topped Obama on Apologizing overseas? Since Obama never did it only took Romney one apology to top him.

Mitt Romney 2012
Sorry about that...

o

It does not matter what mitt said
What you do overseas is just as important and in certain respects more important.
-You have US Citizens that have family in other countries.
-As the leader of a Country if you display ignorance to the point of upsetting a country and the world is watching you leave the door open for other countries to disrespect the Leader and the country of that leader. Respect is number one when you are negotiating with other countries.

No one negotiates with a Fool. Fools are laughed at and smacked around.

o

I imagine the Queen is going to want answers...

o

Can't wait to hear what further gaffes he will make in Israel. The man's a clown.

o

Citywoman I didn't know you engaged in twitiscism's that was sadly failing Just Then.........
A shocking thought came to me that I might be wrong & you might be a one of the poor unfortunates who get there news from right wing blogs that make up stories like that.
Sort of the way Fox likes to show crowd scenes from rallies matched with someone who got a couple of hundred to show up. Could that be the case are you could you be thhhaaaaat STUUU gullible. I am truly concerned if you are because rather than be worthy of justifiable ire I might ask other to find pity for you!

o

Sound Byte...not this truly is stupid! :~)

Here is a link that might be useful: Just something stupid

o

All the money in his Swiss account couldn't get him a spot in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Off key, flat - what's with hitting a really really hard "T" in fruited?

o

A little Carpet BOMBING to get the juices going.

"Will Romney denounce unions in Poland?"?
Why should, would Mittens keep quiet about his anti UNION sentiments in a Nation whose Freedom according to Chuckles Reagan was won by The Labor Union Solidarity.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would stand on Mila & Smocza trying to calculate property values.

o

Mitt Romney has vowed to return a bust of Winston Churchill to the White House if elected president.

The only problem: it's already there.

Responding to Romney's claim that the bust has been removed from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. -- perpetuated in conservative Charles Krauthammer's Friday column in the Washington Post -- White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer on Friday called the rumor "so patently false" that he had to respond.

Though President Obama did move the bust out of the Oval Office -- and replaced it with a bust of President Abraham Lincoln -- it's still in the White House, just moved to the residence, outside the Treaty Room. "News outlets have debunked this claim time and again," Pfeiffer wrote in an unusual fact-check blog post on the White House website.

In case those reports haven't satisfied critics, Pfeiffer also offers up a 2010 photo of the president and British Prime Minister David Cameron looking at the bust along with his post.

"Hopefully this clears things up a bit and prevents folks from making this ridiculous claim again," Pfeiffer said.

At a fundraiser Thursday in London, Romney said he is "looking forward to the bust of Winston Churchill being in the Oval Office again," where it was during George W. Bush's presidency.

o

labrea...I'm sorry , I have read your message to me three
times and I'm just not understanding what you are trying to tell me.

Take your time....go slowly.....speak plainly.

o

The new Sarah Palin

Mitt Romney, look: Money cannot buy you intelligence, knowledge, good manners and tact. Just ask Sarah Palin! She knows all about that.

Here is a link that might be useful: PALINROMNEY

o

CW,I got it the first time I read it. Maybe a 4th time'll do it for you.

Marquest..Love the PalinRomney link. Except I think Mitt is distancing himself from her. She's way too trailer trash for his tastes.

I love the picture of the Queen. That's how I feel on most days but she has the guts to not fake it.

o

Marquest..Love the PalinRomney link. Except I think Mitt is distancing himself from her. She's way too trailer trash for his tastes.

Oh I don't know Lily maybe one more fun raiser he will not be so trailer park trash informed. He is truly proving money cannot buy class. Remember the cookie incident when he was in Pa?

o

CW gee for poor pitches no remedial batting that might get personal and go from humor to wit.

o

I love the picture of the Queen. That's how I feel on most days but she has the guts to not fake it.

I don't think it's so much not faking it as... well... she's just looking so old these days.

Yes, I know that's a rude thing to say but it's the only way I can put it. The last couple of years she has seemed to gain 30 years worth of wrinkles and drooping. The way she walks, the way she moves, she's showing her age and it's so sad.

o

I AM loving the fact that the Brits love Michelle..a down to earth first lady who was exercising with soldiers' children, and encouraging them to take up sports. She's gracious and so down to earth like some who will remain nameless.

I DO remember the cookie thing. Insulted them.. looked at them with disgust. Then the bakery got a lot of business from his rudeness.

o

Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 15:20

So Bush moved Church Hill's bust into the oval office? Probably to impress his new lap poodle Tony, then forgot it was there and later just assumed it was Eisenhower.

Mitt Romney 2012
White House or Bust!

o

From what I gathered, the Churchill bust in question was a LOANER from Blair to Bush because a matching bust of Churchill the White House had since the 1960's was being worked on.

Why all this drama? Who will ever know without a committee hearing conducted by Larry, Daryl and Darrell Issa.

Charles Krauthammer, Political Hack Extraordinaire, likes to bring this up in his columns every once in a while - conveniently forgetting on Pres. Obama's Inauguration Day, all of the art lent specifically for President Bush's Oval Office was removed by the curator's office, as is customary at the end of every presidency. The Fox brain trust/drain would prefer to promote the idea that Obama harbors some antipathy toward the British.

o

It does not matter what mitt said the British papers would make a tornado in teapot about it. if he said nothing there still be 20 weird headlines about it. the British papers are known for there BS stories and headlines.

It does matter especially when the visits to England, Israel and Poland was meant to showcase his abilities on the world stage and show Romney as presidential material. Romney said and did exactly what was reported. They didn't have to make anything up. He failed miserably all on his own.

In Israel he already avoided gaffe #1: his fundraiser, originally planned for a holy day when many fast had to be rescheduled so not to insult anyone. It isn't as if this holiday was a surprise or a secret. Perhaps they should do something as simple as consult a calendar before they schedule events? Then they wouldn't have to reschedule and put other people out - other events were cancelled to accommodate Romney's change.

o

It matter whne the conservative papers that would cut him some slack saw no need to.
Their picking on us seems to be the anthem of the right everywhere!~

o

TEL AVIV (The Borowitz Report)-The Mitt Romney Gaffe Express pulled into a new station today, leaving its conductor's hopes of proving himself to be a nimble statesman in tatters.

Mr. Romney's troubles began in a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, to whom he presented gifts of a HoneyBaked ham and a wheel of cheddar cheese.

After Mr. Netanyahu ordered both gifts removed from his residence and destroyed, Mr. Romney went on to address the Knesset, where he congratulated the Jewish people on building the pyramids.

"Ann and I saw them during a cruise we took to the Middle East, and they were magnificent," he told the stunned legislators. "As accomplishments go, building the pyramids isn't up there with saving the Olympics, but you should still feel very, very proud. Nice job."

Sensing that his remarks were not going over as well as intended, Mr. Romney improvised: "No, really. Incredible building job you did. If any of you would like to work on our house in La Jolla, just say the word. Only thing is, you'll have to work Saturdays."

Mr. Romney's day concluded with an awkward moment at the West Bank, where he attempted to deposit ten million dollars.

I'm pretty sure that is a joke, but you never know ....

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 22:23

" The Fox brain trust/drain would prefer to promote the idea that Obama harbors some antipathy toward the British."

Sounds more like Romney, Krauthammer, and Fox newz have some antipathy towards Lincoln. They all prefer a non-American's bust in the Oval office over Lincoln's?

Mitt Romney 2012
Any Excuse Will Do

o

Post after post of juvenile bashing.

The left trying to see who can out-silly the other.

Do you think if you post enough silliness and negativity about Romney
and the Romney supporters read it,
you will have scored and we won't ...what? Won't like him?
Won't vote for him?

It doesn't work that way.

He is greatly respected as a father, husband , business man, leader in his community
and as a very honorable very very intelligent man.
He earned a BA from BYU in 1971.
A joint Juris Doctor & MBA from Harvard as a Baker Scholar
in 1975.

During his term as Gov of MA he presided over a series of spending
cuts and increases in fees that eliminated a projected $1.5 billion deficit.

His accomplishments go on and on.

The only way you on the left have to try and discredit all of his accomplishments is to make up ditties and resort to juvenile adjectives.

I don't know about the other Romney supporters but I find myself embarrassed for you when I read this exchange of dart throwing.

o

What an embarassment.

Now compare this to Obama visiting Berlin, back in 2008.

'nuff said.

o

Let's have a little sense of humor and common sense.

I don't understand when Conservatives complain about Obama's health care, when it is very similar to what Mitt signed in as gov. And brag that Mitt raised "fees"... to decrease a deficit, but complain if a Democratic administration tries to do the same- knowing full well it's congress that passes laws and budgets. They loved Reagan although the deficit increased during his term, but disliked Clinton who decreased it.

They pretended that Obama was Muslin or else hated his Christian pastor... but Conservative Christians seem to have no problem with Mitt being part of a Mormon dynasty... a religion those same Christians would consider a "cult".

(snip from Slate article "Mitt Romney and the weird and sinister beliefs of Mormonism." By Christopher Hitchens)
"Smith also announced that he wanted to be known as the Prophet Muhammad of North America, with the fearsome slogan: "Either al-Koran or the Sword."

Boy if that was Obama, the Conservatives would be up at arms!

So yes, I think that for Conservatives to back Romney goes against everything they seem to stand for, which makes them look foolish to me, and makes their 'values' seem to be a joke... So the only reasonable thing is to make fun of them and as for Romney, well that's easy, he's his own worse enemy. It's the core of truth that makes the mockery so funny.

o

That you'll see that the way he approaches the vast majority of Americans in terms of their problems is not the right approach for the state of the country and the state of the world. This isn't the Reagan years and solutions from that era won't work. But he seems stuck in a world from 30 years ago when it comes to problem solving.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 7:54

do you think that when you post enough silliness and negativity about Obama and the Dems read it you will have scored and we won't what? Won't like him, vote for him ..... do you see how that works?

o

Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 8:23

What's not silly about Romney promising the Brits that he'll put Churchill's bust back into the Oval office? Romney reeks with silliness, perhaps it's the self professed prankster in him?

Mitt Romney 2012
Silly is as Silly Does

o

His accomplishments go on and on.

The only way you on the left have to try and discredit all of his accomplishments is to make up ditties and resort to juvenile adjectives.

Isn't it curious, Citywoman, how the very people that get so upset at anyone for criticizing Barack Obama for these speaking "gaffes" or "scheduling" gaffes, etc. are the one ones doing the EXACT same thing to Mitt Romney?

The difference is now, after almost four years of Barack Obama overseeing the deterioration of the United States of America, his critics do not need to resort to "gaffes" and "57" states to show his incompetence.

Barack Obama's FIVE TRILLION dollar debt legacy, failure to get the economy back on it's feet with another recession on the horizon, U.S. growth at 1.5%, unemployment at 8.2% (so many have just given up even searching for a job), increased dependency on government handouts, with tax increases looking for senior citizens and the middle class on the horizon in a few months, and a penchant for ignoring the laws of this land by exercising executive orders to the contrary, the estimated $585 million price tag to those that pay federal income tax of Obama's plan to invite illegal immigrants to stay in this country and support him, and he will forgive their crime by executive order.

Obama's disdain for small business and middle class tax payers is obvious, despite his empty speeches.

That's just for starters.

But by all means, the ganging up over a cookie comment should continue. If that's all you've got, and it apparently is, perhaps Romney has a chance against the Hope and Change President. You wouldn't need to be throwing noodles if you had legitimate ammunition.

By all means, have a cookie on Romney.

Maybe, just MAYBE, if he is elected, some people can go back to buying cookies again.

o

Note the total absence of any credible sources.

o

some people

o

When one cannot dispute facts, one tries to descredit the messenger.

And utterly fails.

Tired Alinsky.

Must not get paid enough to try harder.

Typical liberal mentality.

o

When one cannot dispute facts, one tries to discredit the messenger.

Of course ignoring the fact that there were no facts present to dispute.

o
RE: ...Mitty abroad

It's just projection. Ignore it.

o

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 10:06

When one cannot dispute facts, one tries to discredit the messenger.

Of course ignoring the fact that there were no facts present to dispute.

The Five trillion debt under Obama is not a fact?
Unemployment is not at 8.2%
US Growth is not at 1.5%?

I guess you people don't read or don't want to face the truth.

Ignore is what conservatives do to you, Maddie.

Stale, overused, juvenile, insipid, insulting, smarmy one liners with zero cognitive substance are easy to ignore.

What's truly telling is the arrogance of continually giving instructions to posters to ignore opinions of conservative posters.

That's certainly not in the spirit of the intent of this forum, now is it?

For good reason, Maddie, for good reason.

You can't have them actually thinking about and considering what conservatives say, now can you?

You are apparently very afraid of just that; otherwise why bother telling posters to ignore me, huh Maddie?

Don't you think they can decide for themselves what to read and what to consider?

Oh, apparently not.

o

The lions share of the 5 Trillion in national debt is directly attributable to the previous Republican regime. The unfunded Bush tax cuts , two wars and a obscene amount of daily interest....all of which is running your economy into the toilet. To infer that President Obama is responsible is simply untrue........not that truth seems to be important.

o
RE: ...Mitty abroad

Facts shmacts.

Don't confuse them with the truth, Chase!

o

You can't have them actually thinking about and considering what conservatives say, now can you? You are apparently very afraid of just that; otherwise why bother telling posters to ignore me, huh Maddie?

If you want people to consider what you or other conservatives are saying then perhaps it would help if you said something worthy of consideration and discussion. You haven't.

When someone continues to post nonsense, (mis)information that has no basis in fact or just posts to derail threads they lose their credibility and their opinion no longer matters.

How does one discuss nothing? They don't. Give us something tangible to discuss and perhaps you will get a better response.

It seems you are trying more to derail the conversation about Romney looking like a fool in front of the world than anything else.

o

Posted by epiphyticlvr (My Page) on Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 11:50
If you want people to consider what you or other conservatives are saying then perhaps it would help if you said something worthy of consideration and discussion. You haven't.

Demi
Notice this last post from a liberal.
After reading all of the over 100 meaningless talk post of nothing but silliness, juvenile drivel and then one comes back and posts this remark to conservatives as a rebuttal?
I rest my case.

o

I may have misheard this, because I was doing other things, but it sounded like Romney promised Netanyahu that the US would support them in any military adventures they launch against Iran.
That is scary stuff!
Obama (IMO) says we will support you to a point, but you do not have carte blanc (sp?) At least, that is what I have read.
Given my druthers, I'll support Obama, since he seems to be the more "conservative" about leading us into WWIII.

o

I think you heard it right.

From the Huffington Post...Mitt Romney on Sunday declared Jerusalem to be the capital of the Jewish state and said the United States has "a solemn duty and a moral imperative" to block Iran from achieving nuclear weapons capability.

"Make no mistake, the ayatollahs in Iran are testing our moral defenses. They want to know who will object and who will look the other way," he said. "We will not look away nor will our country ever look away from our passion and commitment to Israel."

I read somebody's comment - to wit and to paraphrase: Romney will be ready to go to war just as soon as Adelson's check clears.

There are some web postings to digest with your Virginia ham and wheel of cheese and I'm still working on the pyramids and could be using some help in La Jolla which has about the same footprint as the ancient wonders at Giza.

Here is a link that might be useful: MotherJones

o

Favoritism towards Israel is so yesterday. Seriously, why are we still doing this?

o

Seriously, I'm not really sure anymore - if I ever was. No doubt someone here will post with all the answers. Would Mitt move the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem if elected?

o

Steve, I think you heard right. I watched the interview and had the same impression: Mitt is far more of a Hawk than is Obama. It scares me, too, as the Middle East is a powder keg just waiting to blow up, with world-wide, long term effects.This how I perceive Obama to be a Moderate, and Romney extreme. We do have a definite choice, coming up. Obama has made mistakes, but I'd rather avoid WW III.

o

Posted by citywoman2012 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 12:35

Posted by epiphyticlvr (My Page) on Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 11:50

Demi
Notice this last post from a liberal.
After reading all of the over 100 meaningless talk post of nothing but silliness, juvenile drivel and then one comes back and posts this remark to conservatives as a rebuttal?
I rest my case.

Yes, Citywoman, it's so ironic, is it not?

Apparently my questioning why people are so eager to speculate about Romney and make smarmy insults and get all upset about cookiegate is more important than what Barack Obama as done to and not done for this country is considered derailing an "intelligent" thread.

I certainly do not come here for intelligent conversation anymore, there's very little of that--there is however, a constant and predicable barrage of insults to conservatives or the conservative point of view.

Epi, as to your commen:

"When someone continues to post nonsense, (mis)information that has no basis in fact or just posts to derail threads they lose their credibility and their opinion no longer matters."

I have not posted misinformation.
I have not posted to "derail" a thread.

Look at threads that everyone posts and see how many stay on topic--look at threads about Obama's dismal performance as President and see when they turn to attacks on conservatives, attacks on God and Christians, and references to the Bush Administration.

You're pretty selective in your admonitions, which have no basis of fact.

As to respect around here, with the exception of a very small handful, that's like caring if you're respected by the prison population. It's easier to get along if you are, but it's not respect from anyone YOU respect.

It's okay--I know what you have to do to get respect from the majority here--you sugarcoat everything you say to be politically correct in the liberal view, you make sure that you always, always denigrate a conservative in some way just to show that you're fair, and you accuse conservatives of being selfish, liars, derailers, noncognitive thinkers, projectors, and kindergartners.

That's the kind of trash talk that garners respect from you and your ilk.

No thanks.

I'll continue to post as I always do; I couldn't care less what you think of it. My opinion matters every bit as much as yours does--we both vote.

o

When I see these men beating their chest without a second thought of what war means besides making them look like big man.

So many of our young people are dying fighting these ego driven manhood. Romney thinking this will make him look like he is strong acting like a Warmonger.

Chase you can tell them over and over but math is not their friend. Your math explanation is so basic and still it seems to be above even Jr High School math to some people.

The budget deficit was there during the Bush term and growing and it was not a problem.

When we elect a new President it suddenly is a BIG PROBLEM. I ask why is that? It did not happen when he came into office. It was not like Bush left the country on the up side. If Demi, CW, house, Ms any Conservative can explain this change in attitude about deficit to me I would say they had a argument and I would listen.

As long as the only talking point of "Obama has ruined this country financially I have to think you are blinded by????????" fill in your own real reason. Because it is not about the country's finances.

o

In a thread about Mitt Romney's dismal and insulting performance in London Demi is talking about something called 'cookiegate' in a post that includes this

I have not posted misinformation.
I have not posted to "derail" a thread.

o

Romney thinking this will make him look like he is strong acting like a Warmonger.

Actually, it looks more like Romney is spouting out this rhetoric to win the Evangelical vote, he is not going to win the "Jewish Vote".

It may even be that his "old pal Bibi", might fall for Romney's line "hook, line and sinker", and that would make him the bigger fool.

Romney is nothing but a flip flopping idiot that is/will "kiss the" rear of anyone and anything that will get him were he wants to get to, his next "conquest', his next goal.

Mouthing off as he is in Israel is Romney's attempt to win over the Evangelical vote, to what he can to be sure that he has their full support for the convention vote and then in Nov.

He has to make himself look hawkish and ultra Israel support because of the Evangelical belief about the Rapture, the end of times bit. He can't let it look like he doesn't care about Israel, because in the Evangelical view, the Rapture comes only after "all the Jews are in Israel", then "it happens, the Rapture, the End of times."

This spouting out in Israel is intended to make Romney look like a better choice to those Evangelicals that got to have Israel exist at all costs, and Obama isn't doing this fool hardy thing for them, he's not that "Kiss" the rear of Israel, giving her carte blanche to do as she wishes, and that could cause upheaval in that Evangelical religious belief.
And of course, Romney has to do something to make that "Mormon Cult" religion look anything like those evangelicals think it is and believe it is. He has to make them believe he is the savior of the Republican Party, the savior of the United States, he is the one to return America to it's rightful place in the world, whatever that is and he has to wrestle it away from that horrible person that is now in the white house.

Heck if it would get Romney into the white house, he would become a birther, too.

tis the way of Romney, do whatever it takes, say whatever it takes, lie anyway you have to about anything and everything. Nothing matters but that end goal I want and anyone that get's in my way, kick em to the curb or do whatever has to be done to get them out of the way.

o

..is more important than what Barack Obama as done to and not done for this country is considered derailing an "intelligent" thread

Isn't that what the countless other threads on Obama are about including the latest titled "Obama's failings" (right on the front page)? Are those not enough for you? Do you have to hijack every thread to post the same misinformation? In case the title didn't give you a clue this one happens to be about Romney's unfortunate adventure in England. You may not want to talk about it but in fact it was hot topic around the world.

There is no irony. CW and you have not added to this discussion but have tried to derail the thread with nothing but posts about other posters and Obama. But I do understand why you are embarassed and want to make it go away.

I rest my case
What case? Resorting to criticizing and chiding posters for discussing the embarrassing behavior of a presidential candidate is not making a case for anything. Just a sad attempt at derailing the thread as I mentioned above.
While you were going after posters for discussing the news the rest of the world was doing the same and had similar reactions. Don't blame others for discussing Romney's faux pas',blame Romney for making them.
I repeat If you want people to consider what you or other conservatives are saying then perhaps it would help if you said something worthy of consideration and discussion. You still haven't.

The Jerusalem Post is reporting that Romney cancelled his scheduled meeting with the head of the Labour Party.

I find it disturbing that he goes to the ME makes remarks that can easily incite and then he goes home to the comfort and safety of one one his homes far away from possible danger.

So far I hardly see diplomacy as Romney's strong suit.

o

For those who think it does not matter what Romney does on foreign soil.........Take a look at twitter Romney shambles.

......... everyone knows you haven't really won a news cycle until Twitter has coined you a hashtag, and the microblogging service obliged Thursday afternoon with # Romneyshambles.

@TYTonCurrent

'Obama has never apologized for America, but now America has to go around apologizing for Mitt Romney.' -

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Romney

o

I shudder to think what's coming in Poland - the "Christ among nations".

o

From Jerusalem, another absurdity out of Romney and it was broadcast on ABC News.

Mitt Romney says that if he paid more taxes than were required, he wouldn't be qualified to be president.

Now wonder how he found that one out?

he goes on to say

The U.S. presidential candidate tells ABC News that American voters expect candidates to pay "only what the tax code requires." He says he hasn't calculated what percentage of his income was paid in taxes but says that he's been audited.

HMM, now doesn't he have to sign those tax papers, and don't you acknowledge that you are signing those tax forms knowing what is in them and what it means?

And Romney, I would assume, signed those papers and he has no idea who much of his income he paid in taxes.

HMM and he is qualified to be president after he comes up with this absurd claim?

It just gets more and more absurd as each day goes by.

Here is a link that might be useful: Romney: Overpaying taxes disqualifies president

o

I don't understand how it would DISQUALIFY him. But I guess that is just some that Romney logic.

o

Lot of walking backwards with this Romney crew.

o

Sometimes he sounds a little cuckoo to me.

o

So he's saying that if he didn't open up all those tax-sheltered shell accounts overseas in the Caymans and Switzerland, then that would disqualify him from being President?

o

Who knows what he's saying David. One could say that Romney doesn't know what he's saying himself. Says one thing, then tries to "worm" out of what he said, explain it away, flip flop it away.

He's a piece of work in progress, problem is the progress he makes is non existent, he just gets worse and worse and looks worse and worse, sounds worse and worse.

The best thing that Romney could do is just go away and not return

o

He says he hasn't calculated what percentage of his income was paid in taxes but says that he's been audited

If he cannot calculate the percentage of his own finances he has a team of accountants that could give him the answer if he is to slow to figure it out. How is he suppose to fix the economy. How many times would he have to be told the percentage he needs to cut? Will he be smart enough to ask if he does not know?

People would be stupid to buy this and worst he knows they are this stupid. I can see him and DW getting a good chuckle making up this and know there will be enough fools that will buy that line hook line and sinker.

o

Romney just can't seem to help it, can he? He's got himself a very, very, very serious case of "foot in mouth disease".

It appears that it's getting worse and worse. It can be fatal and seems to be heading in the direction very, very quickly.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 1:35

littleone is right on the......money. Romney the candidate absolutely terrifies me ,and walking his talk will cause untold misery. For you, for me, for all of us. I couldn't give a damn about his taxes. I care a great deal about this bullsh*t about Mr. Hawk-Evangelical-Off with their Heads foreign "policy". How DARE he. Real friends don't give you carte blanche. Real friends tell you when you're right, stand by you when the going gets rough and you're right anyway. And when you're wrong, real friends tell you to your face. Obama is doing this. Romney will sycophant himself and the rest of America into he!!., and drag the ME along for the ride.

Just my two cents.

o

Romney will be ready to go to war just as soon as Adelson's check clears.

I heard comments to the effect that the trip to Israel was to ensure continued support from Adelson. Early on, maybe midway through the 321 Republican debates, suspicions were that Adelson's was backing Gingrich for Romney's benefit -- siphoning off votes from Santorum, and not allowing him a signficant bloc of delegates at the GOP convention.

Romney has boasted of his neoconservative advisors from the beginning of his campaign. He has a number from George W. Bush's time in office, and evidently believes that the U.S. public has forgotten that those idiots were the ones who promoted the disaster in Iraq. Romney's neocon advisors are opposed to any decrease in the Pentagon budget, favored an extended military presence in Iraq, are against the current timeline for withdrawal in Afghanistan, and are ready to initiate a hot war with Iran.

While Romney vows to support Netanyahu's plans for military adverturism against Iran, we should keep in mind the number of high-ranking individuals in Mossad, Shin Bet, and the IDF who have publically declared their opposition to a military strike against Iran, and that even with nuclear arms, Iran is a rational actor, and does not pose an existential threat to Israel.

o

Romney just boggles the mind and he doesn't know when to quit. From his fundraiser speech in Jerusalem yesterday.

"As you come here and you see the GDP per capita, for instance, in Israel which is about $21,000 dollars, and compare that with the GDP per capita just across the areas managed by the Palestinian Authority, which is more like $10,000 per capita, you notice such a dramatically stark difference in economic vitality," the Republican presidential candidate told about 40 wealthy donors who breakfasted around a U-shaped table at the luxurious King David Hotel."

AND

"And as I come here and I look out over this city and consider the accomplishments of the people of this nation, I recognize the power of at least culture and a few other things," Romney said, citing an innovative business climate, the Jewish history of thriving in difficult circumstances and the "hand of providence."

Palestinian response was

"What is this man doing here?" said Saeb Erekat, a top Palestinian official. "Yesterday, he destroyed negotiations by saying Jerusalem is the capital of Israel, and today he is saying Israeli culture is more advanced than Palestinian culture. Isn't this racism?"

First off, his math numbers where wrong, way wrong, but hey what's a bunch of numbers being off unless it's his money.

"The economic disparity between the Israelis and the Palestinians is actually much greater than Romney stated. Israel had a per capita gross domestic product of about $31,000 in 2011, while the West Bank and Gaza had a per capita GDP of just over $1,500, according to the World Bank."

And he certainly seems to have forgotten some very important factual information that is not important to him because it gets in the way of his absurdities.

"Romney, in comparing the Israeli and Palestinian economies, made no mention of the fact that Israel has controlled the West Bank, Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem since capturing them in the 1967 war. Israel withdrew from Gaza in 2005, but continues to control access, and has enforced a crippling border blockade since the Islamic militant Hamas seized the territory in 2007.
In the West Bank, Israel retains overall control, and Palestinians only have limited self-rule. Israel controls all border crossings in and out of the West Bank, and continues to restrict Palestinian trade and movement."

OOPs, just more gaffes "a la Romney" that shows how much of a fool he is, how ill prepared he is to be President and how facts and truth mean absolutely nothing to him.

And there are people, including some on this forum who will vote for him for 1 reason, and 1 reason only, "he is not Obama".

Just pray that there are fewer that think that way than don't.

The best the GOP has to offer, Mitt Romney?

Here is a link that might be useful: Read it and Weep, Romney courts donors, raises cash in Israel

o

First it was his diplomatic blunder in London and now a serious political blunder. His remarks were divisive and inflammatory in a region that needs neither.

The thought of another war terrifies me for many reasons the least of which is financial but can you imagine what another was and the proposed further reduction in taxes will do to the already out of control National Debt?

However, I am convinced there is large faction in the States who really doesn't care about the debt except as a way to attack President Obama even though he is not responsible for incurring the vast majority of the debt.

This man is dangerous...be careful what you ask for , you may get it.

o

Oh Batya your in Isreal what would you know? LOL

o

Do you imagne Romney's advisors feel like the guys with brooms following the elephants in a circus parade?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here