Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Great Kate Wait.......

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 14:22

In labour for 12 hours so far!!!!!

I admit to being an unabashed fan of the Royal family...well most members....and the suspense is killing me.

Can't imagine how I'll be when, AND IF, my own children get on with it!!! LOL

Any bets boy or girl? I say girl which will be neat now that the rules of succession have been changed.

I know it's not a big deal in the big picture of things but it's a happy story and that's a good thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Great Kate Wait.......

I love it too chase. And I've been keeping up with the updates. Maybe the royal family is supposed to be outdated, but I love all the pomp and circumstance that surrounds it. And what ambassadors they are for GB.

o

I'm not a big royal watcher, but I think Kate has the right amount of warmth, personality, and temperament for her position and for her marriage. William chose extremely well indeed. Both are very likeable, so I find myself listening to BBC News in the background, waiting to hear when the baby arrives.

I'm getting "girl" vibes, but I'm not particularly intuitive. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that I'm right. :-)

o

Ladbrokes has a girl at 2/5 and boy at 7/4. Alexandra and George are the big names. No Wandas or Lances on the charts. :-)

It is infinitely better than the mayhem we're assailed with on a daily basis. I do have to smile though - this always brings out the family trees and those who, given a certain set of circumstances, would be somewhere around 75th. in the line of succession. How long a wait would that be in light years?

I wish everyone well and I understand William is going to be the first royal to take advantage of family leave. And the Queen is probably safe from having her impending vacation at Balmoral impacted.

o

I am eager for this birth, too, and I would like a girl because it would signal such a big change in the line of succession. Well, really because the world cannot have too many girls. But mostly I hope this handsome and loving couple have a beautiful healthy baby.

Imagine how Elizabeth II must be feeling, to meet the person who will inherit her throne many years from now.

o

Pidge I was thinking the same thing....

Talk about a four generations picture....Elizabeth and her next three heirs !!!

o

It's a boy.

o

It's a boy! Over 8 lbs both doing well.....

I must admit I was really hoping for a girl.......

o

I keep checking for word on the new arrival, too.

Such a cute couple. I remember seeing a picture of Kate a few days after the wedding, and she was putting away her grocery cart. Can't get much less pretentious than that.

Chase, I read that there won't be an announcement until the queen is told, and if she's sleeping, nobody is supposed to wake her up! Maybe the baby is here and we're all in suspense because the queen is napping. I want to know NOW!

o

I was kind of hoping for a girl too. But I'm glad it's over and than they are both doing well.

~Ann

o

Apparently the baby was born at 4:24 PM local time. Over four hours ago.

~Ann

o

I wanted a girl too,but am happy all is well. What a pretty baby he'll be .His dad was adorable.

o

She was carrying high and in front which "they" say is the sign of a boy so that is what I voted in the pool. I won! :)

Congrats to the Royal family,..especially Kate and William.

o

Nik - this one's for you. And it's an official announcement - guess they woke up the Queen.

Official statement from Kensington Palace on birth

The full statement from Kensington Palace:

"Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son at 4.24pm.

The baby weighs 8lbs 6oz.

The Duke of Cambridge was present for the birth.

The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Harry and members of both families have been informed and are delighted with the news.

Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well and will remain in hospital overnight'.

Now it's the name that'll probably take some time to announce. It'll be a string and likely include William, George, Charles, Philip, and possibly a couple more.

o

I heard them say that they wouldn't wake the Queen up if the baby was born during the night. But I don't think they had to wake the Queen up at 4:24 in the afternoon.

I remember the coverage of Princess Diana leaving the hospital with Prince William. Looking forward to seeing William, Kate and the baby tomorrow.

~Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 16:09

A big boy. Bet she's glad that's over.

He'll make a fine husband for my dear granddaughter, because, God knows, she'll rule the world some day.

Wishing nothing but the best for all of them.

o

One does have to remember that the Queen is 87 which I am sure is more the reason not to wake her than anything else......

They have decided to postpone the 41 gun salutes and the peeling of Cathedral bells until tomorrow.....too bad in a way.

o

WOW... just heard a commenter say that there is one grandparent that is not here.......Diana.

Diana a grandmother????? Funny how some are frozen in memory.....my mind cannot even go there. Sorta like Marilyn Monroe and JFK ...frozen in time.

o

Diana a grandmother????? Funny how some are frozen in memory.....my mind cannot even go there. Sorta like Marilyn Monroe and JFK ...frozen in time.

Chase, we were commenting on that as well. I am sure that William and others in the family thought of this too. How can you not? It makes the occasion a bit bittersweet. A little solace is to think that perhaps she is smiling down on them.

An aside we were talking about Jim Morrison a few weeks ago. It is hard to believe that he would be 70 years old.

o

Yes, Diana is frozen in time at 36. Hard to believe she would be 52.

o

Happy baby! Welcome little HRH!

I am so sad Diana can't be here.

o

Good luck to him he'll need it with that crowd!

o

I must admit that I'm not following the royal lives... but I do wish the best to that family...

o

I just wonder - had Diana lived to see this day - how much access would she have been allowed to her grandchild.

o

As much as William would want.........that would not be an issue

o

I often think of Diana and what she'd be like today. She was a sweet troubled soul mainly because of Charles's treatment of her . He married her because he wanted an heir, and Camilla was not available.

Diana's sons turned out beautifully because of her. Sweet young men.That's her legacy.

o

Good luck to him he'll need it with that crowd!

Are they really that much more dysfunctional than the rest of us? The only difference is we don't have our dysfunction parsed in the media or written about in the annals of history for posterity except of course, in the stories passed down about "crazy uncle/aunt (fill in the blank)".

o

They're a sweet couple, & it makes me smile when they're in the news.

'the world cannot have too many girls.'

amen!

o

This is a hot topic? I didn't even know who "Kate" was, nor that she was pregnant.

o

Terrene , feel free to start any " hot topic " thread you wish. I promise not to criticize.

o

They are an adorable couple. And now they have a baby. I hope they are and remain very happy together. I don't follow them but I always smile when I see either one of them.

Young, new love. Can't be beat.

o

This is a hot topic?

A new heir to the British throne may not be interesting or a hot topic to everyone but it is to many around the world.

It's a nice distraction from the usual topics...racism, natural disasters, murder, mayhem,.... and another plus is that no one is arguing.

o

I was in London and coming out of Harrod's when Prince Harry was born. Suddenly there was a great swell of cheers like rolling thunder coming up the street.

o

I loved that it was good news focused on today. They are a sweet couple. Diana would be happy.

o

Richard would be a perfect name...

o

I guess approximately 1/365th of all people born in the past year were born yesterday, but apparently only this offspring of royal Kate is important.

o

Not every day a King is born.

o

"Diana's sons turned out beautifully because of her. Sweet young men.That's her legacy."

"I loved that it was good news focused on today. They are a sweet couple. Diana would be happy."

Well said!

Hope we get picture soon.

o

My goodness! I must live in a bubble, having been entirely unaware that a King was about to be born. And yet, reproduction of our species, what could be more common...

I guess I am not into the "royalty" thing, nor the class structure of royalty in any country, nor am I fond of our own corporate rulers here in the US for that matter.

o

I have always loved the royals. Grew up with Charles as a child and find the whole monarchy fascinating. As a child, I remember the coronation of Elizabeth and always liked her. I like the pomp and circumstance.

o

Here you go, nik. The first pictures. Bazillions to follow.
(Not being cavalier, but there'll be lots and I'd wager soon.)

edited to add that I do love the look on Kate's face in the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby pictures

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 15:24

o

Daughter and I agree , baby looks just like my grandson(her son) when he was born. Let's see if it takes him as long to get hair...lol. Kate was dressed in polka dots just like Diana 32 years ago. Sweet looking family picture.

o

Tobr: "Richard would be a perfect name..."

I vote for "Arthur George," etc.

o

There've been 6 Georges since the House of Brunswick-Hanover Line, so I'll bet there'll be a George in there.

William is: William Arthur Philip Louis
Harry is: Henry Charles Albert David

Lots to pick from even if you eliminate Aethelwulf and Aethelred the Unready.

o

I think there might something to honor Diana, like Spencer perhaps and maybe Philip for his grandfather who he is very close to.

o

I vote for Henry William Charles Spenser.

o

I think Francis may be in there...Dianna's middle name and Kate's father's middle name... maybe Alexander .. I doubt Philip as William is named after him.

George, the Queens's beloved father and King during WW2 is a top pick. For sure it won't be Edward!!!

I'm thinking the first name will be somewhat modern ....but not likely Jason!

o

The camera sure loves Kate Middleton. I don't think I've ever seen a bad picture of her--and yesterday she fairly glowed. I wish them all well. People in love with each other and with a new baby make me smile.

o

George Alexander Louis.

Prince George of Cambridge.

o

"People in love with each other and with a new baby make me smile."

Yes. And wasn't it sweet watching her hand the baby to William? They were both so careful, as if the little one might break. I couldn't agree more about the camera. She is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful couple. Diana would be so proud.

o

I had not paid much attention to this story but when I heard the baby and parents were going home, I did turn on the tv to see the appearance on the hospital steps as I do remember Princess Diana when she and Prince Charles stopped on the steps while holding William.

Bittersweet, wasnt it?
They seem to be a truly lovely couple and I do believe the Queen learned from the deep unhappiness of Diana and Furgie that things would have to be different and that the couple have a right to making choices of there own.
Kate was so very much older, mature and more sure if herself than Diana was that I suspect she will have an easier time making the adjustment as she not only was his true choice for his wife but she had time to understand what would be expected of her and could agree or choose another life for herself. Im glad Kate is so well liked - that will be her power of her position, as it was Diana's.

They certainly are two good looking people with such grace and dignity. How refreshing, and such a stark contrast to the hollywood royalty of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West - so Im very jealous of those who can claim this royal couple as their own!

o

Me too, mylab. The Kardashian/ West thing has me totally nausea. I have no idea what network carries their trashy show, but I'm sick of them being in all the magazines and papers I read. All those K women have babies out of wedlock like it's something to be proud of.

Kate and William are a gazillion times better looking and refreshingly sweet.

o

Who could resent a moment spent on a happy event?

I don't consider the couple 'young' at 31, but it took a long time for Kate to land him! LOL Thing is, they both seem well suited for what has to be a lifelong drudge job of nodding and smiling and being carefully bland. I bet Harry is happy to be a little farther removed from the family job.

Our PBS station recently ran a series on British castles, including Althorp, the Spencer family seat. I looked up a bit more. Diana was the child of a spectacularly 'broken home'.

Diana was the typical-for-the-time female member of the aristocracy who was 'home raised' and under-educated before being 'mated' to an older man still in love with another woman. She seemed never to have found her Self, despite being a lovely woman and seemingly a good mother. Her mother died a recluse after a turbulent and alcoholic life, having left her husband and young children for a married man -- who later dumped her. The elder (female) sibs appear to be living normal lives. The present (earl/duke/whatever) is on Wife #4.

I was pretty certain that Spenser was not in the running as a given name.

o

I was half-heartedly looking at Princess Anne's birth of little George "had nothing to do with me" comment. The article carries a wretched an unfortunate picture of Anne. Sort of matched the comment though.

Anne now being even farther down the line, I'm sure I would probably be content with my horses and the Gatcombe Park estate, too - a little first wedding present from the Queen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anne of a Thousand Wrinkles

o

Lily, I dont think that women having children without being married is really an issue especially if they are self supporting, but I do take note that both the K daughters who have children had them with men who have proved themselves to be violent against others, although I have never heard it reported that either man has ever been violent toward either of the K women themselves.

As a matter of fact, oddly enough, the only K daughter who IS married is also infertile at this time and on IVF treatments - who's husband has not ever been violent.

All this according to the greatly respected and renowned 'People' magazine ( haha) which I confess to thoroughly enjoy reading while waiting for hair/doctor etc. appointments.

You know how it's said that the rich are different? According to this fact filled and fact checked rag, rich via Hollywood people appear to be even more so!

;)

o

I love the gossip mags too. I don't buy them but read People in the library, catch a few more at Barnes &Noble. The whole K clan leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Poor Anne. Didn't hold up well, did she? Not that she ever was a beauty. Her mother , on the other hand, was quite pretty as a young woman and her dad was and still is dashing.

Anne's first husband was handsome. Don't know anything about the second marriage. She fell off the radar.

o

but duluth the last part may have a lot to do with it. Princess Anne's daughter is expecting. No one has even noticed, must less had her every breath documented. Maybe?

I did like her comment that pregnancy was an "occupational hazard" of being a wife. Heh. How true. Why don't we give men equality and let them have the "honor"? I bet it'd keep down the population of the world. Oh the physical agony. Unless of course, you like somene sitting in uncomfortable ways and in places on body parts you need to function, like say your lungs, stomach, etc?! Pregnancy is "fun" about two or three months out of the nine.

edited to add this, the article has it wrong. Zara is her GRAND daughter. Not her daughter. "...As it happens, her daughter Zara is expecting her first child with husband Mike Tindall in early 2014."

This post was edited by rob333 on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 8:07

o

I really don't want to talk about Anne's looks--
but I do recall thinking a long time ago tht she was on the sour side, not a pleasant woman. Yet when she says taht the birth of the royal baby has nothing to do with her, I think she is right. She's just a great grand-aunt, after all, not really close to William and Kate that I can see.

o

I know very little about Anne. She seems to have carved out her own niche, busy with her own causes and charities as is common with the royals.

I didn't know eons ago that she was involved with Andrew Parker-Bowles, who dropped her for Camilla. Anne then supposedly married Mark Phillips on the "rebound".

Zara is Anne's daughter - Anne has two children - Zara and Peter - by her first husband, Mark Phillips. She is a grandmother as her son, Peter Phillips, has two daughters, Savannah and Isla. (per Wikipedia)

o

If you put in "Zara Phillips", and nothing else, both daughter and granddaughter come up???!!!

shrug

Here is a link that might be useful: an article from the mirror (I would've thought the UK would know!)

o
???RE: The Great Kate Wait.......

even wikipedia may have it wrong. They have Princess Anne's "issue" as Zara, and you click within her entry, and it says granddaugter. I'm so confused!

Here is a link that might be useful: Zara Phillips

o
???RE: The Great Kate Wait.......

wrong

Here is a link that might be useful: Zara Phillips

o

Princess Ann , the Princess Royal, is her own person. She is both "homely" and " regal" depending on the photo. I think she looks a lot like her Mom.

She is a tireless worker on behalf of the Royal family and very private

......also a championship horsewoman, having won European gold medals. Her daughter Zara, won an Olympic gold medal.

o

Both references - Wiki and The Mirror - make it clear Zara is Anne's daughter and, hence, QEII's granddaughter.

Wiki: "Zara Phillips and formally as Mrs. Michael Tindall, is the second-eldest grandchild of Queen Elizabeth II..."

The Mirror's subhead: "The Queen's granddaughter was in the thick of the action at Tidworth Polo Club..."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here