Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scammers:EBT food shipped abroad

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 14:31

Taxpayer financed food subsidies are now so generous, recipients are packing up food and sending it to relatives in other countries. And once again, American taxpayers are left holding the bag.

FTA: "Food stamps are paying for trans-Atlantic takeout" with New Yorkers using taxpayer-funded benefits to ship food to relatives in Jamaica, Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

Welfare recipients are buying groceries with their Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards and packing them in giant barrels for the trip overseas, The Post found.

The practice is so common that hundreds of 45- to 55-gallon cardboard and plastic barrels line the walls of supermarkets in almost every Caribbean corner of the city.

The feds say the moveable feasts go against the intent of the $86 billion welfare program for impoverished Americans."

This is not what happens in well managed government programs. It's what happens when nobody gives a rip, government has too much money, and nobody expects to be held accountable for how it is spent. It's a disgrace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Struggling Americans scammed again

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scammers:EBT food shipped abroad

ROFL. It's all I can do anymore.

Oh, just a drop in the bucket. (Drops fill buckets, doancha know?)

o

We don't have food stamps here and people do that all the time. It's a very common thing for people to send food home, especially to the islands you mentioned.

I read the article. While it is true that some may be using their food stamps the article doesn't suggest they are the majority...not at all. As a matter of fact the idea that they are using food stamps seems more speculative than fact based....at least the way I read the article.

o

As a matter of fact the idea that they are using food stamps seems more speculative than fact based.

The NY Post is a Murdoch tabloid.

I know people who ship barrels to Belize - some food items (Celestial Seasoning Chamomile tea costs 4 times what it costs in L.A. Who knew?), some clothing and footwear, school supplies, and some health and beauty items. None are purchased with government assistance programs.

My grandparents shipped clothing and blankets to Italy, also without government assistance.

Family values - much vaunted by conservatives - become suspicious, if not nefarious, when found among the poor and working class.

Edited to add: Why the jump to negative judgement when so few actual facts are presented. A few anecdotal comments now equal proof positive that the government is being cheated out of millions of dollars.

From the photo it appears that the barrels are sold at the markets, but no one offering anecdotal comments knows what actually is in the barrels when they are shipped. Could be clothes for all they know.

This post was edited by nancy_in_venice_ca on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 15:15

o

$70 bucks is pretty cheap to ship a drum full of stuff overseas.

I need to look into this.

o

So, it looks like we're right back to that drop in a bucket, when all is said and done, and everything is taken in appropriate context.

And that's without even mentioning that those islands are very poor.

All in all, a practice I've never even heard of, but why would that be a surprise, written in a Murdoch rag, such as it is.

o

Any chance of running afoul with customs or the Agriculture Dept.?

Anyway, why would anyone care if an EBT card was used for the purchases? I didn't see the article mention the EBT users would tap their cards out and request replacements. A few repeated attempts at that would catch someone's attention.

o

"-I know people who ship barrels to Belize - some food items (Celestial Seasoning Chamomile tea costs 4 times what it costs in L.A. Who knew?)..."

If the topic was people filling barrels with food items they bought with their own money to ship to relatives abroad, that might be interesting.

o

Just think of the EBT users who invite relatives to share a, say, Thanksgiving meal. Heaven forfend! Partaking of someone else's government dime food. Now there's a scam worthy of Rupert Murdock. I could weep - and will leave Jesus out of it.

o

The NY Post is a Murdoch tabloid

And known to stretch the truth and outright lie. One of those infamous sources that believe in truthiness as opposed to truthfulness.

Hard to forget this,. A real stand up operation.

o

Ya know......this thread and another related to our "sons" are really resonating with me.

Here in Canada we have a guest worker programme. When the workers are here almost all of them save and scrimp and do without to to send things back to their families. They don't buy or sell drugs, break the laws ..no they work so very hard to provide what they can for their families.

It isn't that much different in this case. If in fact they receive food stamps it's because the government subsidizes corporations so they can pay theses people ridiculously low wages.

The fact is that food stamps are , in large part , part of their compensation...by design!

These people are not part of the "welfare" mentality . They are hard working people doing what they can to do the best for themselves and family members......

Where is our compassion for the working poor..here legally, working very hard, keeping their heads down and nose clean.......

I like them way better than the millionaire who cheats on his taxes, or those that don't declare all their purchases at customs when coming back into the country or pay/accept payment for services under the table......all to cheat the system in an "acceptable " way

o

Just as I thought: another rage de jour and NOT even a well argued one at that. Nika, at least you could have insisted that the EBT holders saved their own meager income for themselves and used all the EBT value on scamming the government by buying shipping all that value to other countries so that their rich could enjoy similar lifestyles.

Be creative, even if predictable.
edited to declare in no undercertain phrasing the Nika did NOT argue her rage de jour very well. This my recommended changes. (written t-in-ch)

This post was edited by marshallz10 on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 17:46

o

I truly believe it's exactly that way here, too, chase. Hard working, law abiding and all tied together with a sense of familial duty to those left behind.

o

I agree with Chase...

"It isn't that much different in this case. If in fact they receive food stamps it's because the government subsidizes corporations so they can pay theses people ridiculously low wages.

The fact is that food stamps are , in large part , part of their compensation...by design!

These people are not part of the "welfare" mentality . They are hard working people doing what they can to do the best for themselves and family members......"

Aside from the fact that it's Murdoch's mission to twist the story, sending home money or items to family is quite common... and Haiti and the Dominican Republic are both exceedingly poor halves of the same island.

o

Well, I'm convinced. This article is so loaded with facts, figures, and irrefutable evidence - who could possibly question the NY Post?

I'm proud that the house Republicans passed legislation guaranteeing income for corporate farms via billions more into crop insurance, dropping the food stamps.

o

If the topic was people filling barrels with food items they bought with their own money to ship to relatives abroad,

It is; you linked to the article which mentions people using their own money. Or didn't you read the entire piece? [Please note how handy the cut-and-paste is to counter distortions and deflections!]

From the article:

Last week, a woman stuffed dozens of boxes of macaroni and evaporated milk into a barrel headed for her family in Kingston, Jamaica. She said she didn’t have welfare benefits and bought the food herself.

“This is all worth more than $2,000,” she said. “I’ve been shopping since last December. You can help somebody else, someone who doesn’t live in this country.”

A man helping her pack the barrel said: “We’re poor here, and they’re poor. But what we can get here is like luxury to them.”

o

nikoleta, long ago and far away, I had a very good 35mm. camera which was unused for most of the time because I could not obtain film for it.
Whenever anyone from abroad was coming my sister would ask if she could send anything for me. I would suggest a roll of film. If she asked my wife, Rita would want banned food items or a small kitchen appliance.
One way or another my sister in NY would ensure that we got what we asked for. She and her husband held good jobs but I know that she would purchase food items and store them for a shipping opportunity.
Relatives would pool resources and send home a sort of 'community barrel' with instructions as to the disposition of the contents. There was no room for underhand activity.
We were glad to get the items and were appreciative of the extra physical and emotional effort put in by our overseas relatives and friends.
My sister would never let me know if she was on "Food Stamps" and she would not indulge in 'sharp practices'.
So if she was on the program she would deny herself for me.
And this, I am sure, is the attitude of all those who have loved ones in impoverished countries.
And then there are the men and women in business suits huddling in the board room on the 22nd. Floor. They would be the ones plotting to exploit the SNAP.
They would not hesitate to use whoever they want in order to feed their greed.

o

Nice story, rona. My family and friends with family in the Old Country behaved in the same way after WWII. Everything was in short supply.

This post was edited by marshallz10 on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 8:03

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 8:27

Food for thought ...

...the Department of Defense estimates that 5,000 military families will lose food stamps if these cuts go through, and food stamp spending has been up at commissaries, where only service-members, retirees, and their families can shop. When you hear about cuts to food stamps and picture whom this affects, add the image of a second world war veteran whose retirement benefits aren't quite enough, the children of a national guard soldier who lost his civilian job in the economic downturn, and a young military spouse with small kids who can't figure out how to pay the bills.

Here is a link that might be useful: Takers?

o

While I don't have relatives on any of the Caribbean islands, and I've never heard of using plastic barrels for the task, I have sent boxed care packages to people before. And I've received many care packages over the years, as well.

Long ago, before I moved back to Illinois, before I got married, and while my to-be husband was trying to manage the raising of three children by himself, I would save and save my pennies... and I would purchase school supplies bit by bit, from flea markets, from dollar stores and the like... everything from pencils and cute little erasers to socks and personal items for each of three children, and I would box it all up and send it home to Illinois to those three children who would one day become my stepchildren.

People have been sending care packages to others, probably since the advent of being able to post anything to another area or country.

It's very standard to want to help family, and not at all unusual to send or receive help in the form of food, dry goods, or any type of necessity. Even perishables can be sent overnight or on dry ice or with ice packs. It just depends on the import restrictions for the country.

I've not only sent care packages, I've been the recipient of many care packages, sent by good friends who care. It's like Christmas when one opens that package and finds all sorts of goodies one can't purchase at home!

o

"Nika, at least you could have insisted that the EBT holders saved their own meager income for themselves and used all the EBT value on scamming the government by buying shipping all that value to other countries so that their rich could enjoy similar lifestyles."

Marshall, People can spend their own money however they like. I say more power to them! :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
"...you linked to the article which mentions people using their own money. Or didn't you read the entire piece? [Please note how handy the cut-and-paste is to counter distortions and deflections!]"

Is the concept of the MAIN IDEA a new one for you, Nancy?

The main idea is not that items are shipped abroad in barrels.

It is not that some people spend their own money to fill barrels.

Think!

o

Was going to add something along the lines of what Marshall did. I was too young, but heard stories of my paternal grandparents sending "care packages" to relatives in Poland after WWII - aspirins and medicine cabinet items, cigarettes (big bartering item), clothing, and shoes were most often asked for and sent. The ladies would request yarns for knitting and seeds for kitchen gardens.

o

Several hundred million scams posted never a peep Billion fines silence.
While I decry any sort of welfare rip off it l;eaves a bad taste in my mouth that one gets a pass on ripping off taxes!

o

Nik, the article deals with immigrants sending packages abroad -- that's the MAIN IDEA.

NY Post then adds a bit of supposition to stir up xenophobia and voila' -- here it is on HT as 'proof' of something based on innuendo.

Perhaps we could agree that the MAIN IDEA is that the NY Post desires to discredit immigrants by any means necessary.

I don't imagine that you remember the thread where it was mentioned that Mario Batali tried to feed his family adhering strictly to the budget afforded by food stamps. They just made it with the budget. Do really expect that a family poor enough to be on food stamps will be spending large amounts shipping food that they themselves need to relatives out of the country?

As a side note I find it interesting that the immigrant groups mentioned -- Jamaicans, Haitians and Dominicans -- are generally people of color. (The reporters couldn't find any Russians with food stamps to question what they're doing?) A two-for by the NY Post; xenophobia and bigotry by skin color.

Mario Batali a hungry chef on food stamp challenge

The chef, his wife and their two teenage sons are eating for a week on the equivalent of a food stamp budget in protest of potential cuts pending in Congress to the benefit program used by more than 46 million Americans.

That's $31 per person for the week, or about $1.48 per meal each. [...]

"I'm (expletive deleted) starving," said Batali, who's on the board of the food relief agency Food Bank for New York City, which issued the challenge to celeb pals like Batali and anybody else who wants to know what it's like.

o

How 'bout that, Nancy... something we'd never, never ever expect to be a part of HT... xenophobia... built out of innuendo... ;-)

o

We have dozens of relatives on food stamps that have so much food that they waste it, or give it away.

When we were kids our family used to ship, or deliver care packages to low income relatives that lived in sparsely populated rural areas with few stores and really high prices.

We'd send then beans, rice, oats, cereal, powdered milk, flour, pancake mix, maple syrup, peanut butter, canned goods, candy, toilet paper, soap, detergent, bug spray, first aid kits, propane, ammunition, fishing gear, matches etc.

Many didn't have a refrigerator, phone, indoor toilets, septic system etc.

o

"Nik, the article deals with immigrants sending packages abroad -- that's the MAIN IDEA."

Nope. The article says not one word about "immigrants sending packages" anywhere.

That you actually believe what you wrote does help me understand your reliance on copying from others, though.

To be able to recognize main ideas is a basic learning skill. Until you know how to do that, you can't possibly sort through or evaluate what you've read, let alone write about it.

o

Nik, here's a hint -- U.S. residents with family still living in Haiti, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic translates into an immigrant community shipping U.S. goods abroad.

o

Of course they are immigrants...what do you think third generation??? ... or maybe you get immigrants and illegal aliens confused.

o

From the article: This is the proof that the article gives. Workers at the Pioneer Supermarket on Parkside Avenue and the Key Food on Flatbush Avenue confirmed the practice. Well, if those guys say it it must be true, right?

And this was ALSO in the article Last week, a woman stuffed dozens of boxes of macaroni and evaporated milk into a barrel headed for her family in Kingston, Jamaica. She said she didn’t have welfare benefits and bought the food herself. Imagine that!

The NY Post should be ashamed of itself.

o

Near as I can tell, all we KNOW is they are sending barrels of goods. Nothing else is fact yet.

Jeez. Y'all jump on the bandwagon too early every time, dontcha.

Just wondering, just how much would it cost to stuff a barrel with Kraft Mac & Cheese?

o

Do you mean prepared or still in the box? You could always write the two - Kate Briquelet and Isabel Vincent - who penned the article and ask. Like all of Murdock's reporters, they probably took good notes. Oh ya.

o

"Nik, here's a hint -- U.S. residents with family still living in Haiti, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic translates into an immigrant community shipping U.S. goods abroad."

Way ahead of you, Nancy. We all "still have family" living somewhere else. That does not "translate" into anything regarding our own status. We may, or we may not, be immigrants. You are profiling the individuals misusing welfare benefits.

The article was headlined "NY food stamp recipients are shipping welfare-funded groceries to relatives in Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Haiti."

The clear focus of the article is the improper use of a taxpayer funded program. It's not about "immigrants sending packages."

Do keep digging.

o

And yet, the article failed to prove that taxpayers are funding any of the shipments to these islands...

o

Kraft macaroni and cheese has artificial colors and is nutritionally bankrupt. That's the real outrage, IMO!

o

And it doesn't taste very good - even in desperation. But that's a distinction I can make because I'm in a position to make either tasty or nutritional choices. I'm not the one waiting for a barrel from abroad that someone with the best of intentions is sending.

o

Where is the proof that this is happening. That article interviews a couple of grocery clerks and uses that as proof? There is not a word in that article that makes me believe this is actually happening.

o

True Duluth, position has a lot to do with it, but I think nutritionally it's a wash. The traditional foods Jamaicans eat like rice and peas, cabbage, banana, seafood, curries and breadfruit are far more nutritionally sound and taste better (although perhaps not to those who have to eat them all the time).

o

May I suggest an alternative view of this article. The reporters who did the story were not likely the authors of the title of the story. There are editors that take that responsibility with the goal of attracting readers to reading the filler article.

Actually we see this often with propaganda organs. How many readers actually read much beyond the headlines and maybe opening para?

o

Very likely true, Marshall, since there only source for what they are alleging was two unnamed employees (who perhaps existed solely in the original author's mind). The crux is that there IS NO STORY.

o

"The crux is that there IS NO STORY."

Hey, that might work!

Just say it's not happening. And besides, even if it is, it's only a couple of "rogue" EBT users!

When that doesn't work, dispute the sources. The SOURCES are lying!

When that doesn't work, insist people ONLY do it with their OWN money.

When that stops working, admit it's a story, but it's just a story about "immigrants sending packages."

And when that nonsense falls flat, start over. That's where we are now. Democrats insisting "there IS NO STORY!"

But of course there is a story.

The problem is not that "immigrants send packages." It's that benefits are being misused. By bringing residents, barrels and EBT cards together, taxpayers are being scammed with a new "business model" created by merchants.

When EBT users can afford to send food abroad, they're taking too much from US taxpayers.

This is a scam that states will have to stop on their own. The necessary leadership won't come from Democrats in Washington or anywhere else.

o

Listen, if you want to read a story that is made up entirely of speculation and believe that it's true, that's your prerogative (and it says a lot about you). I personally like my journalism to be rooted in facts.

o

Let's see - that NYPost article shows up in The Daily Caller (Tucker Carlson's pride and joy), the Lonely Conservative, Patriot Update, JanMorgan Media, Legal Insurrection, American Freedom by Barbara...

How on earth can anyone have doubts with all that journalistic effort and heavy "lifting"? LOL!

o

Isn't it more cost-effective to send money rather than stuff? All the immigrants I know send money. So that does lend some weight to the idea that people may be using the food credit to send food items. Still they have to come up with the shipping cost.

But, someone mentioned $70 bucks to send a barrel of stuff to Jamaica (which seems whoppingly cheap, why so cheap? doesn't it have to clear customs, and/or bribes paid?). What is the buying power of $70US in Jamaica? More than a 55-gallon drum filled with boxes of mac-n-cheese? My guess is yes, unless the drum itself has a high resale value.

o

oh stow it Nik - I personally don't know how people can manage to be so polite in the face of your spiteful. mean-spirited diatribes. I meant to just pass on by but yah know what, me and mine have all been in this position and the nasty sanctimonious raving from your corner just made my fingers bash down on those keys in utter disgust.
Mean, mean and nasty - that's what you are........but hey, keep whining about the pathetic percentage of your precious tax dollars which might actually find their way into the pockets of someone who you decide is clearly worthless, scamming, scrounging or otherwise lying in some small pathetic way....and maybe when the crap hits the fan in your household, you might just learn a little humility and tolerance (but I doubt it because such malice is deep).

o

"You may challenge another's point of view or opinion, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully, without insult and personal attack."

o

My understanding is that people have to qualify for EBT cards, and to qualify there has to be a need for food.

Not using that food they say they need and sending it out of the country to someone else means the people are being dishonest in asking for handouts and instead using it for some one else, not in this country.

The food is meant for people that qualify, not people that do not qualify and are not signed up to receive the food.

There are indeed citizens that pay for these programs with their income taxes that are struggling to put food on the table for themselves and their families.

This practice is just wrong.

o

Based on suppositions and rumors from unnamed sources. What could go wrong with that?

o

marshall, they are on fact-free diets.

o

This is just like women having babies in order to get higher benefits-how does this work? People who are barely managing(except in Markjames land) have cash to send a barrel of mac and cheese to some Caribbean island. I could understand if they were sending some sort of high end food stuff or medications or what ever but mac and cheese? It doesn't make economic sense since they could buy a barrel of macaroni for the $70. I would need some actual evidence before I would believe this.

o

I used small tins of tunafish as currency in the Amazon where these convenient foodstuffs could be bartered or be served to special company. Sardines were less in demand. I stopped with cigarettes as currency because I had quit smoking before moving to the Amazon.

Patriciae, I too was wondering why in the world would anyone ship such crap.

o

So what if they choose to use their food stamps for whatever they bloody well wish. Look, these so-called entitlements are actually a form of insurance payout - I have paid into a tax and National Insurance scheme my whole working life and now, being unable to work (or having an income which does not even amount to a poverty wage, or becoming unemployed for whatever reason, or getting old), I am able to claim benefits - who gives anyone the right to decide how I spend these benefits? But that is not really the issue - it is the gleeful tone of finger pointing and sanctimony, masquerading as social conscience.....and I really couldn't give a flying f*** how politely these 'facts' are stated - the sly innuendo is always there. How would you like to have your spending scrutinised? Frankly, I could spend my benefits on drink and drugs (just like a normal salary except obviously, I wouldn't be on the pittance I get) but be quite clear, I am not 'scamming' lying, scrounging or behaving dishonestly if I chose to share with someone even poorer than myself (something I find wholly admirable) although I am taking this rather personally......

o

It is interesting to me how some feel they have the right to scrutinize and criticize those who receive tax funded social benefits yet claim that corporations who receive billions in tax payer subsidy have the right to make any decisions they want.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 7:58

It is interesting to me how some feel they have the right to scrutinize and criticize those who receive tax funded social benefits yet claim that corporations who receive billions in tax payer subsidy have the right to make any decisions they want.

Good point.

I do not support subsidies for private businesses unless of case of national emergency.

We know that people are given money for food, and if it is not used for what is given for, that is the problem.

If a company uses the money for what it is intended, then that is not misuse.

Taxpayers do not own corporations anymore than they own people.

Those are differences.

o

"So what if they choose to use their food stamps for whatever they bloody well wish."

Is that how it works in the UK? One man's earnings are given to another so he can buy "whatever he bloody well wishes?"

"I am not 'scamming' lying, scrounging or behaving dishonestly if I chose to share with someone even poorer than myself (something I find wholly admirable) although I am taking this rather personally......"

Nor am I behaving in a dishonorable manner when I want the laws of my own country enforced. People are not supposed to use their EBT cards to fill barrels with food to send abroad. Aside from scamming US taxpayers, it distorts markets abroad. The local merchant where the barrel of mac and cheese winds up can no longer sell as much mac and cheese in his shop. US taxpayers wind up undercutting him, which leads to his lower profits, his need for fewer workers, and an already poor country ends up with fewer jobs.

Speaking of undercutting others, your post to me was way out of line.

"Mean, mean and nasty - that's what you are." That is very clearly a personal attack.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that we disagree. But I think you should put more effort into disagreeing with my positions, and knock off the demeaning personal attacks.

o

Oh, blah.

o

"So what if they choose to use their food stamps for whatever they bloody well wish."

There it is. There is just no arguing against that position, is there.???????

ROFL

o

"There it is. There is just no arguing against that position, is there.???????"

Sorry. Sometimes I forget that there are people more entitled to the fruits my labor than I am.

o

Yea but I talked to this guy who works at Rimz-r-us? An' he tole me that like these Caribbean people are using their food stamps to buy really cool rims for their low riders back home and they pack them in these cheap plastic drums and send them. A set of four fits perfectly.

I confirmed that with the guy who works at the car wash.

o

Send the barrels to Cuba where they could fabricate parts for those cool vintage Fords, Buicks, Chevys and Pontiacs rumbling around since the embargo.

o

I would have to concur with you, Campanula...

Public assistance is something we all pay into through taxes collected. We hope we never need to access any of it, but if we do, it's a safety net that we helped fund.

LOL - a fact-free diet...

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 11:25

I would have to concur with you, Campanula...

Public assistance is something we all pay into through taxes collected. We hope we never need to access any of it, but if we do, it's a safety net that we helped fund.

LOL - a fact-free diet...

Actually we don't "all" pay for the taxes that are used for public assistance.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 23:30

>It is interesting to me how some feel they have the right to scrutinize and criticize those who receive tax funded social benefits yet claim that corporations who receive billions in tax payer subsidy have the right to make any decisions they want<

That's because rich people are cool and poor people aren't.

Come on, get with the program!

o

That's right. To heck with those bothersome, always-hungry children. Sell those benefits for 50 cents on the dollar for cash if you wish. Buy some smokes. Can't one get a bit of privacy? Bugger those rules & regs.

BTW, I think we send quite enough foreign aid via the U.S. government and assorted charitable orgs.

o

No one has yet proved that there's anything amiss regarding the OP... so there's no fraud to even talk about.

Those pesky facts just keep interfering...

o

To me the real question is why does nik hate food stamp recipients so much?

o

"To me the real question is why does nik hate food stamp recipients so much?"

From what I've learned about Nik here, I doubt she "hates" anyone or anything. Me neither, FTM.

How is it appropriate to post that personal opinion about Nik? She didn't post that she hates food stamp recipients.

Just an observation that needs no comment. I found it offensive and am compelled to say something.

o

" I found it offensive and am compelled to say something."

Or maybe you can take your own advice from the PC thread on things one may find offensive and "suck it up"

o

That wasn't an accusation, elvis; that was a question. Someone who insists on posting three threads about the same subject has a bone to pick. And by the way this is not the first thread nik posted about food stamp recipients.

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 18:44

o

Nika is more disgusted with the poor on the dole, much less though than with illegal aliens destroying America from the bottom up, all 7-9% of US residents here without documents. Can one suffer from "excessive-compulsive disgust"?

o

removing duplicate post

This post was edited by marshallz10 on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 19:02

o

Posted by jerzeegirl 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 16:26

To me the real question is why does nik hate food stamp recipients so much?

Posted by elvis 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 17:07

"To me the real question is why does nik hate food stamp recipients so much?"

From what I've learned about Nik here, I doubt she "hates" anyone or anything. Me neither, FTM.

How is it appropriate to post that personal opinion about Nik? She didn't post that she hates food stamp recipients.

Just an observation that needs no comment. I found it offensive and am compelled to say something.

Posted by jerzeegirl 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 17:30

That wasn't an accusation, elvis; that was a question. Someone who insists on posting three threads about the same subject has a bone to pick. And by the way this is not the first thread nik posted about food stamp recipients.

The question made an assumption, which is in fact an accusation that Nik hates food stamp recipients.

If one was asking Nik if she hated food stamp recipients, one would ask, "do you hate food stamp recipients?"

The assumption about Nik's state of mind and Nik's opinion that she did in fact hate them was instead posted.

That is what is offensive.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 22:41

I find it hilarious that someone is "offended" ... considering the replies to the "ghetto booty" thread.

SMH

o

Come on nik. Get with the program. Certain people are allowed to break rules and laws. You know, they have excuses, lots and lots of excuses for doing so. Whoopsie, I mean reasons, very very good reasons for doing so. Indubitably.

So, just pretend that you think it's all ok too. Got it, nik?

o

"Someone who insists on posting three threads about the same subject has a bone to pick."

It is common courtesy to stay on topic. Posters can post whatever they wish to discuss. When a thread is hijacked, it seems quite reasonable that the OP would start a new thread. If there is a pattern to the disruption, it will emerge pretty quickly.
---------------------------------------------------
"Got it, nik?"

Yes, I get it. Having been raised poor parents who were staunch liberal Democrats, I understand the attitudes here. I wasted a lot of time believing that the reason my family had so little was because other people somehow got their hands on too much. Having been a registered Democrat many years ago, I don't doubt the sincerity of people here who are convinced conservative opinions result from some moral defect, and that to be conservative is to be a greedy, self centered person incapable of feeling empathy toward other human beings. It's not true, but I understand how it could make sense to intelligent people, depending upon their own frame of reference.

I think that when people have spent enough time thinking through what they believe, they're better able to tolerate different ideas and people, and to do so without feeling threatened or needing to lash out with personal attacks.

o

Well said, Nikoleta.

I agree with you.

o

I am the kind of American that never considered the state of my financial situation being caused by someone else taking too much of the pie. Most of those that have expressed umbrage about other taking too much seemed to be the better off complaining about the poor. Empathy is limited, it seems, to those sharing the same community of similar people. The nature of human beings, I suspect.

o

Nobody here has any idea what it costs to send a 55-gallon drum from the US to Haiti, do they? No. I don't either.

I think the story is bogus. It doesn't make much sense. Who is in the business of gathering 55-gallon drums, one at a time, at $70 per, getting them on a cargo ship, clearing customs out and then into Haiti, paying all the bribes, and then delivering to recipients in Haiti. It's BS.

o

Speaking of real shipping scams:

Recently a guy was busted here. He'd been taking used washing machines, gutting them, filling them with expensive stolen electronic items, and shipping them to brazil where his relatives would sell the stuff at mad high prices. It is very costly to import washing machines to brazil but the scam worked if the "filling" is cheap or free.

o

Nobody here has any idea what it costs to send a 55-gallon drum from the US to Haiti, do they? No. I don't either.

I think the story is bogus. It doesn't make much sense. Who is in the business of gathering 55-gallon drums, one at a time, at $70 per, getting them on a cargo ship, clearing customs out and then into Haiti, paying all the bribes, and then delivering to recipients in Haiti. It's BS.

I agree it doesn't seem possible. I could not ship a barrel to Florida for $70, let alone to another country.

o

How much is worth a box of Mac&Cheese in the DR? Probably a 55 gallon drum of them is barely worth US$70 plus cost of the time to purchase and fill and ship. (I haven't bought a box of them here in 25 years.)

o

Most of those that have expressed umbrage about other taking too much seemed to be the better off complaining about the poor. Empathy is limited, it seems, to those sharing the same community of similar people. The nature of human beings, I suspect.

It is a sad commentary on a portion of the population in the US. The good news is there are people that are better off and don't complain about the poor. Don't complain about poor single mothers getting food stamps. And maybe even having nice nails! The nerve! Some care about these people and feel it's our responsibility to contribute to society. We see plenty of those people here on HT. It's just a pity not everyone can have the same empathy.

o

Marshall, I made that same point way upthread. Common sense has little place in these discussions....

Esh, right. In fact, unless one has a source for getting used ones, the 55-gallon hard plastic drums themselves are quite costly to buy singly. I like them for gathering rainwater and they are not easy to come by.

o

I once helped source used plastic barrels for a local city's plan for backyard composting program. The most useful were plastic drums used to import bulk olives from Greece, approximately 50-gallon size with screw lids. These cost the city about $25 each in lots of 1000 shipped from NYC to California. The bottoms of the barrels were cut off, and the barrels were intended to be partially buried in backyards and used for anaerobic composting. That was in the mid-1980's.

I just looked up the current costs; these being in the range of $22-25 but costing another $100-300 per pallet of 8 shipping. Reconditioned polydrums of the sort described in this scam cost $28 plus shipping in the same range in pallet lots. So, at street retail, the barrels will cost nearly as much as the shipping to the DR.

Here is a link that might be useful: sample

o

really, well it doesn't get much more personal than being classed as a liar or a thief....and as one of those benefit scrounging scum, I am not remotely inclined to shrug and feel chastened when a know-nothing starts in on the spiteful and scurrilous claims. And hey, I guess you could always claim that it was some other scrounger you were referring to but you sure as hell was the one doing the referring and hereby can jolly well suck it up when someone else takes umbrage.

And just so as you know, the tiny little bit of revenue going towards me and my fellow claimants has also been added to by myself for the long duration of my working life - it is called National Insurance and now I am calling in my claim.

And if I was still smoking, or even doing drugs, then I might just spend some of it on that. So what?

o

the same community of similar people. The nature of human beings, I suspect.

It is a sad commentary on a portion of the population in the US. The good news is there are people that are better off and don't complain about the poor.

I haven't seen one poster here complain about "the poor."

I have only seen posters complain about people that are dependent on tax dollars for their living expenses yet refuse to work or do what it necessary to be self sufficient. Yes, some of those people are poor.

In fact, I know that I, and other conservatives have expressed the opinions that it's a shame that people can't get a job that want a job (despite promises of Hope and Change), that the poor can't generally afford a health insurance policy that is not tied to employment, I know that I, and other conservatives, have related that we support tax dollars going to those that cannot care for themselves as well as those that are temporarily down on their luck and need help with living and other expenses.

I do not complain about "the poor."
In fact I do not recall one post disparaging "the poor."

I complain about irresponsible and/or lazy people.
Now, I have seen other posts about irresponsible and/lazy people, as well as my own.

Some happen to be poor--but not all irresponsible and/or lazy people are poor.

o

Yes, I notice you going after the shiftless rich folks taking advantage of the system. N.B., folks.

o

Those blue 55 gallon plastic drums also make excellent dog houses... when a frame is built to stabilize them, a piano hinged door added to one end, and the barrel stuffed with clean straw. In the dead of winter, the temperature inside one can reach a cozy 60 degrees for the dog inside it, who's body temperature normally sits at 101 degrees.

I can't even imagine how expensive it would be to ship even one of those barrels to another country, but if one is collecting public assistance, it's not something one could afford to do.

And besides, the article gave no actual proof that any of this is happening.

o

Today it occurred to me I could make one into a compost tumbler.

Then I will patent it, have them made in haiti or the dr and shipped here for yuppies. I'll make a big thing about how I'm giving mothers and kids jobs (and get some funding from some big ngo's), probably give out some micro-loans as well....

o

Be sure to fill it up with frosted flakes before you send it overseas to be converted into tumblers!

o

Pat, I'm way ahead of you, re plastic drum tumblers. I keep them in my drive way. Drag 'em up to the gate, fill 'em up with compostables, slap on the lid, and every time I drive in, I hit them with the car bumper, causing them to roll a bit. By the time they get to the end of the driveway: finished compost.

o

Demi,
To discuss fraud in government programs is to acknowledge that theft from taxpayers is a real and ongoing problem. That does not fit the liberal narrative.

The extent of waste, fraud and abuse reflects poor stewardship by people charged with redistributing our resources. Yet that lack of stewardship is not what liberalism attacks. Instead, followers attack people whose earnings are confiscated and misappropriated by dishonest scammers. If progressives had their way, there would be no forum for objecting to government approved theft. No discussions about how scams work. And no pressure for government to clean up the welfare rolls.

o

Yes, I notice you going after the shiftless rich folks taking advantage of the system.

Exactly.

o

Seems to me the difference between liberals and conservatives is that conservative go after the poor dishonest scammers and liberals go after the rich dishonest scammers.....

o

And which method do you think would give the best bang for the buck? But, clearly, that's not what some conservatives are interested in.

o

liberals go after the rich dishonest scammers.....

We shouldn't do that; they're the 'job creators' and we owe them our eternal gratitude no matter the nature and number of scams they run. Oh, and they need a cut on estate taxes too.

o

Yes, and we should remove the minimum wage. Then everyone would have a job! Are we catching on yet?

o

Dave, neat idea. I was planning to just roll it by foot, but I know you westerners don't walk much....

o

Great idea, David... why expend the energy if you don't have to?!

As to the OP... the problem seems to be that facts are getting in the way...

o

Do away with the minimum wage and pretend to pay them and then complain when they pretend to work. Now where and when did we learn about this economic model?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here