Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alexander Cockburn, RIP

Posted by nancy_in_venice_ca SS24 z10 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 17:44

I didn't expect to see this item when I looked at Google news. He was one of the people that I unconsciously expected to always be around, just like Peter Bergman of the Firesign Theatre. He helped me keep my sanity during the dark period of the Reagan years, and made me face the shortcomings of the Clinton Administration. After his stint at The Nation, Counterpunch was a source for analysis and perspective on foreign policy.

As to be expected, WaPo had to make its digs at a writer at odds with the establishment from a left perspective.

Alexander Cockburn, longtime columnist for The Nation, dead of cancer at 71

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alexander Cockburn, RIP

Darn! He was a voice of sanity during dark times and even when we didn't see the darkness. I knew he was ill but didn't realize the condition was terminal.

o

Thanks for starting this thread Nancy. What a loss.This morning I read he had died on Counterpunch.

I heard him speak twice and met him once as he was signing a copy of his book "The Fate of the Forest: Developers, Destroyers, and Defenders of the Amazon" for me.

RIP Alex Cockburn.

Here is a link that might be useful: counterpunch

o

I just re-subscribed and made additional donation in Alex's name. We might not have agreed from time to time but he was honest in his passions.

o

I don't read either of those, I guess I was not aware of Cockburn's work.

o

Wow, like you Nancy I assumed he'd always be around. I heard him speak a number of times and did not always agree with his take, but he was a reliable and readable staple all those years I subscribed to the Nation.

o

I used to read him ages ago when he wrote for the Village Voice. RIP Alexander Cockburn

o

I liked his passion, thought he was often too casual with his sourcing and hyperbole, but I always admired his drive to uncover institutional corruption and inequalities in society. RIP.

His niece, Olivia Wilde, said via Twitter, "My uncle, the brilliant, kind, and hilarious Alexander Cockburn, passed away last night. He was my friend, and my hero. He taught me how to make coffee in a jar, how to listen to LPs, how to ride a horse through a river, and how to drive a classic car with love".

o

I didn't know him but am sorry to see that someone so willing to say things without sugar-coating is gone. We need more outspoken folks these days.

o

I kept up with him for many years at The Nation and Counterpunch. His radical voice will be missed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here