Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phony Scandals

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 18:10

So IRS, Fast & Furious, Benghazi, NSA, wiretapping reporters phones are now phony scandals according to Obama. What a shame he wasted such righteous indignation regarding the goings on of the IRS, and the promise to bring the Benghazi murderers to justice. And now we find out it was all phony scandals. So glad he cleared that up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phony Scandals

Hard to get around to that life mission of Hope and Change when Obama allows so many phony scandals to take up his precious time.

o

Source for that, Mrs? I'd like to read what he said.

o

This is it from the text of the speech printed in the NYT. "But with this endless parade of distractions and political posturing and phony scandals, Washington has taken its eye off the ball. And I am here to say this needs to stop."

Believe Jay Carney went a bit farther and enumerated the "distractions" on some program with Greta Van Susteren (sp?), Joe Scarborough, et al.

All easily Googled with an item or two not from The Daily Caller or Breitbart.

o

Kate: "But with this endless parade of distractions and political posturing and phony scandals, Washington has taken its eye off the ball. And I am here to say this needs to stop."

Ah. Thank you. More phony news. Well, that simplifies everything.

o

I'm not Kate.

Thought you'd appreciate me letting you know what with your demands for precision.

o

Phony news? It was his speech. All you had to do was listen. Not that he said much that he hasn't said over and over for the last four and a half years.

o

Anyone who responds to this kind of baiting deserves the headache!

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 23:00

Here's the speech.

Odd that it is so hard for anyone to post a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Sorry, Duluth, My bad. I'm glad I didn't mix you up with someone you would find insulting, at least.

o

Seriously, what I heard, he was talking about how inept the Republicans have been and it's so true- there is so much talk about Republicans fearful of losing in the primaries that they refuse to vote for things they know would be good for the country.

Obama, is at least in my eyes one of the best President's we've ever had, and when I don't like some of what the administration is doing, I am thankful that we don't have a Republican administration. It would be so much worse.

Hey! I heard Michele Bachmann and Paul Ryan are supporting NSA spying on Americans... maybe she's sleeping with the Prez? Oh, she's not running.. What's Paul Ryan's excuse?

o

It's the truth, and the truth hurts the fear mongers like Faux, Hannity , Beck , Rush, et al. . I'm guessing since congress's popularity is the lowest it's ever been, people will agree with the president.

o

The scandals were phoney because their intended target, our President, had nothing to do with them. More than that, Republicans have done little else than try to attack and discredit President Obama since he was elected.

President Obama is now calling for an end to this hyper- partisan Obama-hatin' nonsense so that real issues impacting Americans can be addressed.

We are sorry for the 3 who died in Benghazi but coming from those who let Bush get away with criminal negligence leading up to 9/11, the phoney Benghazi accusations trying to link President Obama to it are not only ironic but are laughable.
Our country was attacked on 9/11 because Bush was a coward. He read the warnings continued his vacation and did nothing to even increase security at airports or public awareness of the imminent hi-jacking threat from Bin Laden.

o

Hey, Duluth--I think it's time we confessed. Duluth and Dublin are cyber-twins. No wonder they mix us up, huh?

Dublin Bay/ Kate : )

o

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 7:32

Hey, Duluth--I think it's time we confessed. Duluth and Dublin are cyber-twins. No wonder they mix us up, huh?

Dublin Bay/ Kate : )

I do not know exactly the process, but from the very beginning I often confused the two of you, and a good many others have confessed to the same.

It must be the way our brain processes your names--it has to be more than the "D." You also share similar temperaments and opinions, I think.

HT's own doublemint twins!

o

We also share a "u"--that explains it, I think.

So far, I have not been offended at any of the misattributed opinions, and I think my twin feels the same. LOL

Kate

o

oye

how old are you people?

o

Sorry, Duluth, My bad.

Ah, so refreshing. And I bet it wasn't even that hard to type. Perhaps others can learn.

o

We've been pretty fortunate in that regard, Kate. But I often think you get the short end of the stick being credited with my dribblings.

And I sometimes just like to needle elvis who often presents as a stickler for great exactitude. :-)

o

It isn't that the issues aren't there, it is the amount of time and energy spent in the House trying to link the President directly to them...... even in the face of direct information to the contrary.

The facts are this Congress has been a total waste of taxpayer dollars. The Republicans need to get down to seriously doing the peoples work or 2014 may see them take enough of hit that they loose the House.......

This post was edited by chase on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 9:19

o

I don't think chase's opinion is a misattribution, but I certainly wish I had said that. Agree 100%.

Kate

o

There is nothing phony about what happened in Benghazi. The phony president is covering it up, Hillary is also involved. Four Americans died and we deserve to know why.

When I see how many people want Hillary for president it makes me wonder why they don't care what kind of person she is.

o

When I see how many people want Hillary for president it makes me wonder why they don't care what kind of person she is.

I felt the same way about Romney.

o

Seeing what Obama is doing to this country, Romney probably would have been a better choice.

o

What exactly is he doing to the country?

o

Isn't obvious?

o

No or I wouldn't ask.

You must have specific reasons for saying this . What are they?

o

Elaine, why do you label the president "phony" when he is an American citizen who was duly elected according to law and swore his oath right before our eyes? And what do you think is so "obvious" that we should all just nod our heads in agreement with your cryptic comment?

edited for typo

This post was edited by pidge on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 8:06

o

Elaine if you are talking about the extreme political division that is developing in this country ... it's not Obama doing it. Look to the Republicans for starting and fostering the extreme embarrassment that is our current Congress:

When Mike Lee pledges to try to shut down the government unless President Obama knuckles under and defunds Obamacare entirely, it is not news- it is par for the course for the take-no-prisoners extremist senator from Utah. When the Senate Republicans' No. 2 and No. 3 leaders, John Cornyn and John Thune, sign on to the blackmail plan, it is news - of the most depressing variety.

I am not the only one who has written about House and Senate Republicans' monomaniacal focus on sabotaging the implementation of Obamacare- Greg Sargent, Steve Benen, Jon Chait, Jon Bernstein, Ezra Klein, and many others have written powerful pieces. But it is now spinning out of control.

It is important to emphasize that this set of moves is simply unprecedented. The clear comparison is the Medicare prescription drug plan. When it passed Congress in 2003, Democrats had many reasons to be furious. The initial partnership between President Bush and Sen. Edward Kennedy had resulted in an admirably bipartisan bill- passed the Senate with 74 votes. Republicans then pulled a bait and switch, taking out all of the provisions that Kennedy had put in to bring along Senate Democrats, jamming the resulting bill through the House in a three-hour late-night vote marathon that blatantly violated House rules and included something close to outright bribery on the House floor, and then passing the bill through the Senate with just 54 votes- while along the way excluding the duly elected conferees, Tom Daschle (the Democratic leader!) and Jay Rockefeller, from the conference committee deliberations.

The implementation of that bill was a huge challenge, and had many rocky moments. It required educating millions of seniors, most not computer-literate, about the often complicated choices they had to create or change their prescription coverage. Imagine if Democrats had gone all out to block or disrupt the implementation- using filibusters to deny funding, sending threatening letters to companies or outside interests who mobilized to educate Medicare recipients, putting on major campaigns to convince seniors that this was a plot to deny them Medicare, comparing it to the ill-fated Medicare reform plan that passed in 1989 and, after a revolt by seniors, was repealed the next year.

Almost certainly, Democrats could have tarnished one of George W. Bush's signature achievements, causing Republicans major heartburn in the 2004 presidential and congressional elections- and in the process hurting millions of Medicare recipients and their families. Instead, Democrats worked with Republicans, and with Mark McClellan, the Bush administration official in charge of implementation, to smooth out the process and make it work- and it has been a smashing success.

You really need to pay attention to who's doing what here.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

Well, he was furious over the IRS scandal so he can't possibly be calling that one "phony." We all saw him stand before the cameras and promise to work "hand in hand" with Congress to make sure it doesn't happen again.

He forcefully stated that "Americans have a right to be angry about it, and I'm angry about it." He also said "It should not matter what political stripe you're from. The fact of the matter is, the IRS has to operate with absolute integrity."

Still waiting for the MSM to ask the president to specify which events he wants Americans to view as "phony scandals."

o

The IRS scandal wasn't the phony scandal .......the phony scandal was trying to link it directly to the President....but you know that.

o

Posted by ElaineInNJ none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 7:22

There is nothing phony about what happened in Benghazi. The phony president is covering it up, Hillary is also involved. Four Americans died and we deserve to know why.

Hi Elaine, I haven't seen you here before.
Welcome to posting!

It makes me wonder, too.
Actually, I wonder why any of us ever pull a lever for about 99% of any candidates. Most aren't the kind of people worthy of the position or our trust.

Benghazi is a travesty in more ways than one--the fact that our citizens were NOT properly protected after begging for help and not getting it, the fact that they were slaughtered and help wasn't sent--when the administration had no idea how long the massacre was going to last, they could have sent help, the Obama administration sent a representative out on talk shows long after they knew it was a terrorist act on 9-11 to blame the motive for the murders on some obscure video, and Hilary Clinton even indicated that they were going to "get" the video maker to the father of one of the brave dead.

Still, stonewalling.
Where are the survivors?
Why haven't we heard their stories?
Why hasn't the media been tracking them down and interviewing them and finding out what happened?

Because they have been sequestered and told not to talk.

And yet, the media is focused on Kanye and Kim, Kate's "bump" and no one cares.

That's what politicians like Obama, Cheney, Clinton, and most others are banking on. They'll do what they want. I believe they think that the public should not concern ourselves with these matters because they think what they think ursurps public opinion. Sometimes it should.

A wise man or woman would know when it should not, and I do not think any politician meets that standard.

In my opinion that is another reason Obama, some liberals and the media want to redistribute wealth to the point that everyone has just enough--so they can be insured that their basic needs of shelter, food, and medical care will be met regardless of the choices they make in life, so they can indulge themselves with text and sext, watch NFL on weekends, and go to Chilis on Friday night. Everyone will be good little sheeple and not care what politicians are doing, or the ones that do care will not have the money and power to do anything about it.

They're almost there.

o

The CIA was running a covert operation in Benghazi with a compound close to the U.S. mission there.

I don't think that any classified information from that operation will be forthcoming -- especially as it utterly failed with local intelligence as well as failing to protect its own compound.

o

Ah, Nancy, that's too easy an answer. They want a juicy steak and 7 course meal they can dawdle over while they shout out self-righteous slogans and dam# the President, don't ya know?

Kate

o

Perhaps the dry red wine they're sipping with the steak has caused them to forget that 9/11 happened on the watch of an earlier president.

o

Exactly. And they also forgot that in addition to Bush's negligence prior to 9/11, there were 13 Benghazi-type attacks during his residency in the White House, and Fox and GOP friends stood by their man every time.

Here is a link that might be useful: 13 Benghazis Happened Under President Bush and Fox News Said Nothing

o

Oh boy, that kind of information is inconvenient. Pakistan was attacked twice in one year! The administration should have been filleted over that one. Yet, it wasn't.

o

"The IRS scandal wasn't the phony scandal .......the phony scandal was trying to link it directly to the President....but you know that."

No, I paid attention. The phony scandal was in trying to blame IRS abuse of power on couple of "rogue agents." We now know the scandal goes at least to the Chief Counsel of the IRS, which puts it a lot closer to the White House than any lowly "rogue agents." Note I did not say "the president." I don't believe for a minute he is stupid enough to have "ordered" anyone to do anything.

Do stay tuned. Immunity for Lois Lerner and/or her colleagues should go a long way toward sorting out who did what and at whose direction.

"The CIA was running a covert operation in Benghazi with a compound close to the U.S. mission there. I don't think that any classified information from that operation will be forthcoming -- especially as it utterly failed with local intelligence as well as failing to protect its own compound."

We don't need classified information. We need a truthful explanation. Your explanation doesn't tell us why our own electeds cannot talk to the survivors almost a year after the slaughter. It doesn't tell us why pleas for more security were repeatedly denied. It doesn't tell us why no one has been held accountable. It doesn't explain why Charlene Lamb said refusing Chris Stevens more security had nothing to do with a lack of money. It doesn't explain what possible reason there would be to deliberately leave Americans unprotected. It doesn't explain why the White House and State Department pretended that a 9/11 terrorist attack, complete with RPGs and mobs that met an 9 o'clock sharp was a just "spontaneous protest." It doesn't explain why the State Department and White House blamed the phony "protest" on a youtube video. It doesn't explain why the president jetted off to another fundraiser while the bodies of our ambassador and three of his colleagues were still warm.

o

Nik, you did catch the hearings last week didn't you. The part where the AG said that he only recently was given access to documents that would have caused him to write the report in an entirely different way.

...and the part where Issa , who requested the audit, gave instructions to only look at Republican/Tea Party applications that were scrutinized.

Seems that Issa "created" his own scandal.......

o

It doesn't explain why the State Department and White House blamed the phony "protest" on a youtube video

Well, at the same time, there were over 70 major demonstrations /riots and multiple deaths related to protesting the same video, all happening at roughly the same time.

But you know that.

o

there were 13 Benghazi-type attacks during his residency in the White House, and Fox and GOP friends stood by their man every time.

Funny how every time this little fact is brought up, it's completely ignored by a certain segment of the population here. Hmmmm....

o

..and it doesn't explain why the Republicans refused to provide funding for security.......and continue to do so.

o

Nik, the U.S. mission was separate from the CIA compound; close in distance but a separate building. The CIA was guarding its own compound, and still was overrun. I would guess that you have forgotten that some of the Benghazi security was CIA operating under cover of the U.S. State Department.

Facts, just a minor speed bump on the partisan super-highway.

o

Hey, Elaine. Where were you when the idiot who was our president for eight years sent 1000's of our young people to die looking for weapons of mass destruction which never existed. Today Iraq is as unstable as ever and the soldiers who are home and injured physically and mentally are questioning why their lives were ruined. For what?

Where were you when there were 13 other attacks in embassies under idiot boy's administration?

Where were you when Bush was chopping wood in Texas for the 6 weeks before 911 and ignoring warnings that AlQaeda was planning to fly planes into buildings?

o

Save your breath Lily.

They have every right to hate the President even If it's irrational hatred. On another site, I will never forget a woman who was incredulous that "this person" won the first time when the nation had the fabulous option to them to vote for a war hero and the most wonderful breath of fresh air politics had ever seen....meaning Palin.

On the day Obama was sworn in the first time, she announced that he had completely failed in his job already, because his background was suspect. This was the first hint I heard of the birth certificate hysteria shortly to sweep the nation of ugly right wing bigots, all because this black skinned man actually had the audacity to win the election.

Nowhere is it written where someone doesn't have the right to hate the current president due to long term memory loss. Heck - they can hate him because he has big ears if they want to! Or they can hate him because his skin is black, or any other hate related reasons of any sort.

Be grateful that they are in the minority of voters. The majority of voters (including the " silent majority") spoke loudly and clearly at the polls.

Twice.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 16:49

"..and it doesn't explain why the Republicans refused to provide funding for security.......and continue to do so."

Some of us know propaganda when we see it. Charlene Lamb explained it very clearly in her testimony. Money was NOT the problem. It was the unprecedented size of the supposedly "spontaneous protest," that left Americans dead. Ms. Lamb dismissed lack of funding for security by explaining that "...if it's a volatile situation, we will move assets to cover that." Testimony from others indicated the repeated denial of security was a long standing problem in which the State Department refused to budge, even though security did not meet the standards set by our own government. You can continue to believe propaganda about the lack of resources, or you can use your head.

I know that if the first American ambassador murdered in 30 years died because of inadequate security because "Republicans refused to provide funding for security" it would have been a huge campaign issue for Democrats. It was right before the election, and if true would have caused a great deal of outrage at Republicans. But Democrats didn't even bother.

Instead, they made up a very simple story for their base about a video. It was an easy sell for a party that derives power from masses of low performing, poorly educated, chronically dependent adults. As we saw for ourselves, the propaganda was so successful that Susan Rice was still repeating the nonsense on Sunday news programs.

Meanwhile, the rest of America had figured out within hours that an attack that began at 9 PM on 9/11, with Islamists carrying RPGs was far from a "spontaneous" attack.

Carry on.

o

"Some of us know propaganda when we see it"

We surely do....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here