Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are You

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 18:11

"Some tax experts are alarmed by Mitt Romney's apparent admission that Bain Capital set up offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands to help wealthy investors avoid paying U.S. taxes."
Are You?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are You

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 18:13

No. It's more big business as usual. What alarms me is that the finance etc. sector is running the country, with or without Romney being elected.

o

Yes, bboy, but one of the reasons they are running the country is that by not paying taxes they're becoming increasingly more wealthy and thus more powerful. Every little bit helps.

o

Trillions are off shored!

o

Hmm, and I am lucky if I have a few bucks in my local credit union...

o

I think it would very interesting to know how many of these billionaires are part of the 47% paying no taxes.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 9:31

All of this American off shore money is said to be owned by the "job creators". No jobs but they are giving us the business.

Mitt Romney 2012
For His Eyes Only

o

vgkg, once again, signed off with another winning slogan!

Mitt Romney 2012
For His Eyes Only

I am really enjoying these...they are very clever and witty!
I wish I had saved them all.

Sea

o

Mitt Romney 2012
You've Already Seen Enough

Ms. Anne Let-them-eat-cake Romney for 1st Lady!

o

Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 10:00

Thx Sea, I try

My personal fav is:

Mitt Romney 2012
He's Unbelievable!

Mitt makes it all too easy, now his wife does too...

Mitt Romney 2012
Soon You People Will be His Business
But His Business is None of Your Business

(I know, too big for a bumper sticker ;)

o

Wonder what Romney has to say about this.....

Yesterday the Republican in the Senate blocked a bill that would have eliminated tax credits for companies for companies who out source jobs overseas and use that money to fund a 20 percent tax credit for the costs companies run up "insourcing" labor back into the U.S.

For the life of me I cannot understand why things like this don't get the attention they deserve. Republicans don't care about American jobs they only care about doing the bidding of the boys that "own" them. One thing is true the Republicans care about the economy as it relates to their corporate friends but they couldn't care less for American middle class jobs.

o

The LA Times has been looking into the sources of the initial funds used to start Bain under Romney - gee, a lot of it through anonymous tax-sheltered accounts in Panama.

Taxes are for little people

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 10:25

"Some tax experts are alarmed..."

That neither alarms nor surprises me in the least. What does is the fact that he has been nominated to play the president.

o

But, KWoods, it makes perfect sense... he's the most clay-like and mold-able of any of the contenders. He'd make the perfect mouthpiece for those with power and influence, rather like a Bush III.

o

What he says today he unsays tomorrow but as you know or think you know but may not know there are some things that just can't be known so it is impossible to give a definitive answer to any question, doncha know.

With apologies to Rumsfeld for mangling his mangled mantra.

o

U.S. tax code has encouraged companies like Halliburton to transfer the location of its subsidiaries from the United States to foreign countries. This is one reason why only thirty-six of Halliburton's 143 subsidiaries are incorporated in the United States and 107 subsidiaries (or 75 percent) are incorporated in 30 different countries old news.
Oracle, Seagate, DelMonte all in a computer in the Cayman Islands.
Not as nasty say as contractors working in Iraq finding out
that they had no legal grounds to sue.

Freshman Minnesota senator Al Franken's first-ever legislative action, a relatively simple, almost laughably surefire bill requiring the Pentagon no longer do business with any contractor -- hi, Halliburton! -- that requires its employees to agree that she cannot sue said contractor if she is, oh let's just say, gang raped by its employees!

30 U.S. senators -- Republicans each and every one -- who just stepped forth to vote against the Franken amendment

The cost of doing business isn't always about cash just 99% of the time.

"More than half the world’s money passes almost undetected through a series of financial black holes that shelter it from not only the tax collector but from shareholders, partners and wives, a Tribune-Review investigation found.

Once employed by gangsters such as Meyer Lansky and Lucky Luciano, these secret bank accounts have grown so vast and lawless that some experts tell the Trib they fear the amount of money involved threatens societies from China to Africa, Europe and the United States. World leaders railed against the impact of secret havens during the G20 summit in Pittsburgh three years ago.

“They have caused a huge imbalance in the market,” said John Christensen, director of London-based Tax Justice Network, which was established by the British Parliament in 2003 to examine tax issues worldwide.

“They are the very opposite of capitalism, which is supposed to be based on transparency. They are the shadow economy.”

From Switzerland and a couple of Caribbean islands, the black holes are in 70 or more countries. Christensen said studies by several organizations, including the International Monetary Fund, put the total stash at as much as $25 trillion.

In contrast, the Commerce Department pegs the gross national product of the United States at more than $15 trillion."

Here is a link that might be useful: OFF OFF OFF

o

30 U.S. senators -- Republicans each and every one -- who just stepped forth to vote against the Franken amendment

I remember that. Shameful, but hardly publicized.

o

Cost of doing business Nancy a tax on the countries morals means crap to the crap eaters!

o

"Imagine there's no money, it's easy if you try."

Banks want to get rid of paper trail money, statements and checks and go all electronic. Less oversight and more opportunity to change things.

"Imagine electronic meltdown, no records floating in the sky"

"La La La La....Life goes on."

o

Yes, the Cloud ate our banking records

o

CBS poll has Obama/Romney neck to neck. How can that be?
Obama was awarded Nobel Prize, stomped out al-qaeda, incumbent president with unlimited war chest to trash Romney. If only CBS would conduct a poll of HT forum members rather than American voters, then they would get the real picture, right???

Here is a link that might be useful: CBS Poll

o

"It's the economy, stupid."

o

It's the economy, and we're NOT stupid.

o

Reading comprenstion alert!

I was quoting a famous person about a former election-in-progress.

Sorry you took that so personally, demi. Get a grip, girlfriend.

o

Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 17:59

I'm just as puzzled as you Sam, Obama pulled us back from the brink and half the people want to take us back into the tax cuts for the rich, deregulational anything goes inaness, get more internationally aggressive - abyss. It's just too weird. The serine call of the right must have some seductive tone that thankfully doesn't register with the other half of the nation......Romney will fix things? Really?...Really? That goes way beyond LOL.

Mitt Romney 2012
Prankster-in-Chief

o

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 16:25

It's the economy, and we're NOT stupid.

Posted by marshallz10 z9-10 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 16:41

Reading comprenstion alert!

I was quoting a famous person about a former election-in-progress.

Sorry you took that so personally, demi. Get a grip, girlfriend.

Oh Good Lord, Mashall. I know that.
No reading comprehension problem and I have a better grip than most.

Didn't you hear this week, that is the conservatives' new answer to Barack Obama, "It's the economy, and we're not stupid?"

You made a wrong assumption.

Again.

So much for lighthearted comments!

o

I haven't been listening or watching political palaver this week (or this month or two, for that matter.) Your assumption is wrong (very easy to do when making off the cuff remarks, such as during stump speeches. :))

o

"and I have a better grip than most"......

o

Poll Date Sample Obama (D) Romney (R)

RCP Average 7/5 - 7/20 -- -- 46.4 44.7
Obama +1.7

Rasmussen Tracking 7/18 - 7/20 46 46 Tie

Gallup Tracking 7/14 - 7/20 48 44
Obama +4

FOX News 7/15 - 7/17 45 41 Obama +4

Here is a link that might be useful: Poll 7/17-7/20

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here