Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What was she thinking?

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 18:45

Nancy Pelosi, the Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives said this weekend that Jews vote Republican because they are rich and want a tax cut. The Jewish community will not ignore this ! Could one imagine the rightful outcry if a Republican made an offensive statement like "Blacks are democrats because they are poor and want welfare."

Shame on Nancy Pelosi!

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What was she thinking?

Well Mrs, I expect you're about to be told that the Pelosi's words were simply misinterpreted.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 19:00

Do you believe Bloomberg? Because that is not how they are telling it, or any other news source.

U.S. House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi predicted Jewish voters will reward President Barack Obama in November's election for his record on the Middle East, while she said Republicans "are using Israel as an excuse; what they really want are tax cuts for the wealthy." (Bloomberg News)

.....not quite what you are stating MrsK

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

I'm not stating anything om, that was, Ronn Torossian a Jewish philanthropist. Evidently some in the Jewish community do not see it the same way Bloomberg does.

o

When Bloomberg News uses quotation marks there doesn't seem to be much room for interpretation.

o

Good to know Mrs. K. is still busy here deliberately misquoting people and then claiming she isn't saying anything, but, you know ...

Pelosi attacked the GOP for pandering to Jewish American voters with their hawkish stance on Israel. She did not say that Jews vote Republican because they are rich and want a tax cut. Ms. Pelosi did not in fact say anything specifically about US Jews, other than they are smart.

PELOSI: "Well, that's how they're being exploited. And they're smart people. They follow these issues. But they have to know the facts. And the fact is that President Obama has been the strongest person in terms of sanctions on Iran, which is important to Israel. He's been the strongest person on whether it's Iron Dome, David's Sling, any of these weapons systems and initiatives that relate to Israel. He has been there over and over again."
==============
Shame on Mrs. K? Or shameless?

Here is a link that might be useful: full trancript of interview

o

LOL, I didn't misquote anyone...I think that is copy and paste which means that I used their exact words. So are you saying shame on the Jewish author of that piece?

o

So this thread is settled as irrelevant. Don't feed them any further.

o

We will see how the Jewish Community interprets this.
Isn't it amazing how many different interpretations one speech can supply.

I'm sure the Jewish Comm will give their version.

o

And the fact is that President Obama has been the strongest person in terms of sanctions on Iran, which is important to Israel. He's been the strongest person on whether it's Iron Dome, David's Sling, any of these weapons systems and initiatives that relate to Israel. He has been there over and over again."

"He has been there over and over again."

Really! Secret trips, maybe?

Summary of international tripsFurther information: List of international trips made by the President of the United States and Foreign policy of the Barack Obama administration
Number of visits Country

1 visit Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Egypt, El Salvador, Ghana, India, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Vatican City
2 visits Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Indonesia, Japan, United Kingdom
3 visits Afghanistan, Mexico, South Korea
4 visits France

from List of presidential trips made by Barack ObamaFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

o

" REPUBLICANS USE ISRAEL TO BAMBOOZLE JEWISH VOTERS WHILE THEY GIVE TAX CUTS TO THE RICH"

what does while serve as?

o

That was from Red State!

o

I'm sure the Jewish Comm will give their version.

No community is monolithic in its political views.

o

It's like the worst game of "Telephone" ever. One person says something and the conservatives hear a totally different statement. How dense are they that they cannot or are unable to listen and interpret and/or read? I really fear for our country and civilization, in general, and hope that more money will be funneled to education in a hurry.

o

The Journal of Jewish Ideas: The Jewish Vote in Presidential Elections

Historical Perspective: Jewish Vote in Presidential Elections Exit polls have reported that the Democratic presidential candidate has received between 64 and 80 percent of the Jewish vote since 1972.

o

Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 19:56

"""Rep. Nancy Pelosi, the minority leader at the U.S. House of Representatives, said that Republicans exploit Jewish voters for political gain.

Pelosi (D-Calif.) in an interview last Friday with the Bloomberg news service also said that many Republicans "are using Israel as an excuse, what they really want are tax cuts for the wealthy." She also said that President Obama "has been a staunch supporter of Israel."

Responding to the observation that the Republican Jewish supporters are active due to their support of Israel, Pelosi said "they're being exploited. And they're smart people. They follow these issues. But they have to know the facts. And the fact is that President Obama has been the strongest person in terms of sanctions on Iran, which is important to Israel. He's been the strongest person on whether it's Iron Dome, David's Sling, any of these weapons systems and initiatives that relate to Israel."

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), the only Jewish Republican in Congress, on Sunday responded to the Pelosi interview, saying: "It is both patronizing and deeply insulting for Nancy Pelosi to suggest any Jew is exploited for their political beliefs or that support for Israel is somehow an excuse for anything," Cantor said. "Such thinking diminishes the importance of issues affecting Jews everywhere."

Cantor told the CBS newsmagazine "60 Minutes" in a January interview that the Jewish tendency to vote Democratic has been the "bane of my existence.""""

Here is a link that might be useful: Jewish Press

o

Do you even know who Ronn Torossian is? I do. He is known as THE sleaziest PR person in an industry that is known for its sleaze. This is not a media piece or any legitimate reporting.

You might want to do your homework before you use pigs like Torossian to prove your point. Do a search on his many lawsuits; the unflattering article done on him in PR Week as well as other exposes on this pig. He does PR work for many right-wing, fundie groups and individuals including evangelists like Benny Hinn.

Do you think he didn't have a life before the White House?

He made several trips to Israel prior to his running for office. I know of at least 2 others that he took with the Jewish Federation of Chicago long before becoming President.

FGS this is pathetic. Seeing Torrosian lauded as if he is a well-respected businessman and /or donor in the mainstream Jewish community is absurd.

So are you saying shame on the Jewish author of that piece?

YES! And shame on you for posting this tripe using him for your op. You really drank the Kool-aid with this one.

o

"He has been there over and over again."

Read this slowly..."he has been there over and over again" follows her statements of the support Obama has shown..on many occasions and/or situations... thus, the phrase "been there over and over"
As in support.. you know, "I've been there for you" "We are behind you". We SUPPORT you.

Sea

o

Why, of course, SS&P. How silly of me to take her at her word.

I need one of them fancy new-fangled translators which allows me to hear what I want to hear instead of what is actually said. Where do you guys get those? Amazon? Ebay?

o

Posted by elvis 4b WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 20:30

I need one of them fancy new-fangled translators which allows me to hear what I want to hear instead of what is actually said. Where do you guys get those? Amazon? Ebay?

Considering how much those "translators" have been used here that allow people to hear what they want to hear and not what was said (or posted) the last day or so, I'd say Obama's campaign is giving them out free along with the Kool Aid!

o

Read this slowly..."

JUF Leaders Join Obama on Israel Visit

Three top leaders of the Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago are accompanying Senator Barack Obama (D-Ill) during parts of the Israel leg of the Senator�s current Mideast tour. They are highlighting two of the many projects and programs the Federation and JUF support in Israel.
On Wednesday, Senator Obama and the JUF team visited a computer literacy project in Fassouta, a Christian Arab village in the northern Galilee region of Israel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Obama in Israel

o

Yeah. Way ahead of you, but thanks for sharing. SENATOR Obama--when he was still full of promise.

o

Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 21:43

This is all very interesting deflection but the "fact" of the matter is Pelosi did NOT say " that Jews vote Republican because they are rich and want a tax cut" (from the OP)

The author of the piece is a "liar liar with pants on fire".

And now since the thread has been deflected into an entirely different direction, I am done.

o

"We will see how the Jewish Community interprets this."

Not difficult to find out the answer to that one.

The Jewish community that I am part of, has been and always will be disgusted and appalled by the sleaziness and total disgust of Ronn Torossian.

I don't know any Jewish community that has any respect for this disgusting man in any state in this country, or any Jewish community regardless of the branch of Judaism that they are part of.

The interpretation of Nancy Pelosi's comments are not what the OP claims them to be. They found nothing wrong with them; actually, they thought that what she said was quite accurate.

The Jewish communities that I know in NYC, including Reform, Conservative and Orthodox, find Cantor to be just about as equally disgusting as Ronn Torossian and an embarrassment to Judaism.

The fact is, the Republican Party is going after wealthy Jews for support, for simple reasons, money, donations and nothing more.
The thought process, no doubt, is get these wealthy ones to support us and they will get other to follow suit.

One of the many mistakes that politicians makes, especially Republican ones.

Jews in the US are a very small voting block, except in Florida, where there may be something to say about the size of the voting block and how it possibly could have a shot at swaying an election, but that is debatable.

The problem is that Jews in this country see themselves as US Citizens first, Americans first and their religion is part of them. they do not see their religion as all encompassing and therefore they will vote only for someone that is a strong supporter of Israel and/or her government.

Jewish voters in this country vote for what is best for them first, what is best for this country first and someone that will support Israel's right to exist, but not give Israel a blanket pass on anything and everything that she does or believes.

Jewish voters in this country are not blinded by some kind of loyalty to Israel first and at all costs, and they are far from afraid to criticize the government of Israel and/or a president for just sitting back and supporting a government that they disagree with.

Just like any other voter, Jews vote as people first, voters first and are not some kind of huge block of voters that will vote one way and one way only that is best for Israel and Israel only.

It's insulting to think that a politician, especially the presumptive nominee for the Republican Party for President, is himself, so ill informed about the Jewish voting block that he would think that all he has to do is "kiss the rear of Jewish voters, throw out his undying support for a hawkish government of Israel, and Jews will just fall in line and vote for him."

If that is what he thinks, then he is in for a rude awakening come election day. Far to many Jews in this country fear the leadership and the government in Israel and don't want it there and do not support the Hawkish plans of the ruling party.
The last thing they want to see is any kind of attack on Iran now or in the future.
They do not support the right wing party coalition of the ruling party, do not support the continued war mongering that is going on and do not support the continued building of homes in occupied lands.

Most support a 2 state solution as well.

As for why Democrats have been able to garner the majority of the Jewish vote in any election is simple. The Democratic party represents far more of what is important to the voter that just happens to also be Jewish.
The Democratic party stands for far more of what the Jewish voter believes in, supports and is far more politically aligned with the Jewish Voter, the Jewish voter that is supporting candidates that are in their best interests and this countries best interest.
They are American Citizens first and foremost.

o

Elvis, take your games elsewhere.

OM is right. This thread is based on nothing but a lie put out there by a self-absorbed wingnut who is being investigated by the FBI for extortion. Mrsk brings it to us as if it is worthy of any discussion.

Pathetic that this is how desperate some are to try to find something to divert attention from Mitt's continuing misadventures abroad.

Sage advice.

o

Feed or pity!

o

Take your pick. Nothing to seee here...

o

What's interesting to me is that Pelosi said nothing to be ashamed of even those her words are being twisted beyond recognition. However, Romney did say something that is despicable and, as the author points out, racist. Where is mrsk's thread on that?

By standing in Jerusalem on Monday and declaring that Jews are richer than Palestinians because of their culture -- this, as he was asking wealthy Jews for money at a campaign fundraiser -- Romney effectively exploited the Israeli-Palestinian divide as cover to annunciate a racist notion that resonates with a key slice of the electorate at home: white voters.

"Culture makes all the difference," he reportedly told those gathered at the Jerusalem fundraiser. "And as I come here and I look out over this city and consider the accomplishments of the people of this nation, I recognize the power of at least culture and a few other things." (One wonders what those "few other things" might include -- skin color perhaps?)

Can we for a nanosecond imagine Romney at a country club in some posh Detroit suburb celebrating the innate superiority of the predominantly WASP crowd in attendance while using "culture" to explain the wealth gap with the predominantly African American inner city? Yet this is the very sentiment he catered to in Jerusalem. In essence, Romney said that whole races of people are better than others.

o

You posted just what I was going to say Jerzee! I wonder if there will be any comments on this from any conservatives.

This Romney traveling to meet and greet foreign leaders isn't going well.

If the President were there right now saying and doing exactly what Romney has said and done, I suspect there would have been a long thread of conservative outrage over the embarrassment the President was causing for our country.

Romney's trip appears to me to have been an exercise in failure. Imagine how differently this trip would have gone had it been Huntsman instead on this trip to meet and speak with leaders.

Instead, it's the guy conservative voters chose and the guy you all supported right here in H.T..

Opportunity wasted.

Even if Romney wins the election, what a great opportunity in Huntsman all you conservatives threw away.

Instead of the opportunity for enthusiastically and proudly supporting Huntsman, at least for the next 99 days you all will be stuck with defending Romney, instead. Maybe much longer than that.

I *still* can't figure out how that happened - the support for Romney and the total dismissal of Huntsman.

But because it did, Obama has a far better chance of winning the election.

So - thank you.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 1:28

Thank you littleone. You said it far better than I could have. Right on, on every point.

o

Jeffrey Goldberg writing in 2008 in The Atlantic about Ronn Torossian: The Jewish Extremists Behind "Obsession"

It's said of Ronn Torossian that he represents "right-wing" Israeli politicians, but this description does not do his clients justice. "Right-wing" is Bibi Netanyahu. Torossian represents the lunatic fringe. Several years ago, in one of my only encounters with him, he introduced me to Benny Elon, a rabbi and settler leader who was then Israel's tourism minister, and who, at various points in his career, has more or less advocated the ethnic cleansing of Israel of its Arab citizens. At one point, when Elon had gone to take a telephone call, Torossian and I started talking about Israel's right to reprisal for terrorist attacks. I was arguing in favor of some sort of proportionality (this was after Jenin, in which the Israeli army chose to root out terrorism block by block rather than bomb the city from the air) but Torossian interrupted: "I think we should kill a hundred Arabs or a thousand Arabs for every one Jew they kill." I was somewhat taken aback, of course, because this is a Nazi idea, rather than a Jewish idea. I asked him to explicate: "If someone from a town blows himself up and kills Jews, we should wipe out the town he's from, kill them all. The Israelis are suckers. They should have destroyed Jenin." He went on like this for some time. I would only note that Torossian, to the best of my knowledge, never volunteered for the Israeli army, so he seemed to me by definition a chickenhawk.

Torossian's attitude toward Arabs and toward the peace process are echoed in the approach of Aish HaTorah, which is just about the most fundamentalist movement in Judaism today. Its operatives flourish in the radical belt of Jewish settlements just south of Nablus, in the northern West Bank, and their outposts across the world propagandize on behalf of a particularly sterile, sexist and revanchist brand of Judaism. Which is amusing, of course, because "Obsession" is meant to expose a particularly sterile, sexist and racist brand of Islam.

o

Sometimes you just have to stop and say, "enough is enough."

... said this weekend that Jews vote Republican because they are rich and want a tax cut.

MrsK, I just now went and watched the youtube interview that you are referring to. In response to a question, Nancy Pelosi said, "Many of the Republicans are using Israel as an excuse. What they really want are tax cuts for the rich."

Well Mrs, I expect you're about to be told that the Pelosi's words were simply misinterpreted.

Continue your feeding frenzy.

-Ron-

o

So are you saying shame on the Jewish author of that piece?

I'll say this...

When you go searching for, "Jews vote Republican because they are rich and want a tax cut." Every redneck, neo-nazi, aryan nation, freeper, conservative, GOP, Republican website imaginable comes up (including this one).

-Ron-

o

Batya, thanks, and glad to be of service.

I've lived under Romney as governor, that was bad enough. the though of him as president and the damage that he and the GOP could do to this country, to the Middle East, all around the world, is just beyond something I want to even think about.
Yet I have to, in an attempt to be sure that he does not win the election and that there isn't any further erosion of both the House and Senate into the hands of the GOP.

Another thing, I'm so sick and tired of being thought of as a voting block because of my religion or that because of my religion I will automatically vote a certain way, or that because of my religion I will support another country no matter what that country's government does or doesn't do.

It's as if the Jewish voter in this country has no brain and is some kind of robot that just votes for whatever candidate will be the best for Israel.

Not to be rude, Batya, but Israel is Israel, The USA is the USA, and I am a US citizen and I will vote for what is best for me, my country and my family, as well as what will be best for the international populous as well.

Since I became old enough to vote, way back when the illustrious Richard Nixon was running for President, I have carefully weighed the candidates and what direction my vote would be cast. It always ends up going for the Democratic Candidate because there has never been a Republican candidate that could garner my support.
There has never been a Republican candidate that I felt I could trust with that infamous "red telephone, red button".
The closest was Gerald Ford, and in the end he didn't get my vote either.

Reality, is and always will be, always has been, we are not alone in this world, and the actions that we take, as people, as a government as a society have world wide consequences.
Whom we elect, in this country as well as those that do vote in other countries, have a direct and indirect affect on all of us.

To think that anyone would/could vote for Romney, a war mongering idiot, who has no problem doing anything and everything, saying anything and everything to just get elected president, is just beyond belief.
To think that anyone would consider him a superior candidate to Obama, is laughable, to say the least.

Let Romney get into the White House and he could very well be the one to OK the Middle East be blown off the face of the map.
He'd support Israel attacking Iran and if you think that is a sound idea, a safe idea, an intelligent idea, well, you aren't capable of thinking.

The result of that would be a disaster worse than either world wars.

Ron, i don't know whether to laugh or cry and what one finds with your search on google, but it is not surprising to me.

Any time you google stupidity, racist absurdity, anything that associates Jews and money, you are guaranteed to get the results that you posted.

I showed this thread to a friend of mine who happens to not be Jewish and her first comment was "is the OP known to be an anti semite?"

That should answer it all, even though the denials will come. that question was from someone that is not Jewish, not a member of GW, never been to GW or to hot topics, never saw the site before and that was her first reaction.

Again, it's those words that keep coming back to bite some posters in the rear and they are not capable of understanding that or that the words they use are what they are, seen the way they are seen.

All that can be done is argue that they are not and twist the truth around.

o

ahhh littleone, I just have to tell you, your rambling posts have become longer and longer, and stranger and stranger. I just wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't bother to read the things anymore.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 6:40

Not rude at all! Exactly what I think. Honesty can be harsh, but is rarely rude.
MrsK, they are not ramblings, and certainly not strange. I'll stand with all of her/his posts on this thread. Read them carefully. Just because they don't fit into your world view doesn't mean they are worthless or baseless ramblings. In this thread, they are right on point and clearly discuss a the OP. I read nearly all of your posts because I want to understand someone who is so different from me on many issues. I can't afford to not read and try to understand what you have to say. Sometimes sound bits, surface quips and from the hip reactions don't cut it, and we need to get to the longer posts to make sure we're not just knee-jerking each other around.

o

batya, any time a post devolves into a personal insult, it's not worth reading to me. What I posted as OP, I didn't write. I posted it for discussion. I'm accused of twisting Pelosi's words even though I didn't write the article. I'm accused of being anti semite...well, haven't a clue where that comes from. So nope, littlones posts aren't worth reading.

o

Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 6:49

MrsK I and others did not "accuse" you, we simply pointed out that the OP was not true. You chose to run with it and it seems you are unable and/or unwilling to admit that the man simply and purely LIED.

o

om, if you will check around, you will find he is by far not the only member of the Jewish community to feel exactly the same way. Are they all liars, or is this how they see it?

o

Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 7:09

This man lied, his words were your OP ... not others, and that is what I and other posters commented on. Period.

o

What I posted as OP, I didn't write. I posted it for discussion. I'm accused of twisting Pelosi's words even though I didn't write the article.

You wrote "What was she thinking?". You wrote "Shame on Nancy Pelosi". Those were YOUR words, not the editorial writer's words. You gave every impression that you bought the author's premise lock, stock and barrel and were tsk tsking. You can flap your hands all you want but your words are out there for all to see.

PS: I am a big fan of littleoneb's writings.

o

Another liar?

o

"What I posted as OP, I didn't write."

Correction what YOU posted YOU did write. What you linked to you didn't write.

In YOUR post you supported what you linked to by saying "shame on her" you also also said "the Jewish Community will not ignore this" ignore what....perhaps what you believe her to have said becasue you believe the article without even checking?

How the heck do you know what the Jewish community will think. Seems that there are two right here that are very clear on what they think.

Posted for discussion........posted 'cause you thought you had a gotcha from your in mail!

o

Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 7:52

From your newest link:

"If a Republican accused Jews of voting for a Democrat because they're rich people and want a tax cut, what do you think the reaction would be?"

Yes another liar, because, what part of this don't you understand, this is NOT what Pelosi said.

I am glad that I can admit when I am wrong, it really is not painful.

o

"How the heck do you know what the Jewish community will think. Seems that there are two right here that are very clear on what they think. "

And I posted two who were very clear on what they think. Want me to post some more?

o

yup another liar....'cause that is NOT what she said.

o

Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 8:00

What they "think" and what is the truth are two different things MrsK, I wish you could at least admit that.

You can show a hundred misquotes of what she said and they will still be a LIE.

o

When Pelosi says "all they want are tax cuts", she is referring to republicans. Why are you unable to grasp that? Why do you continue to double down in light of your comprehension error.

o

Why do I need to grasp it jz. I'm not Jewish, and I'm not the one that feels insulted. Why don't you tell those members of the Jewish community who do feel insulted that they need the comprehension of you and a few others here. You've already said they are liars.

o

OK Mrs what do you think she said?

o

Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 8:34

What Pelosi said:

"Republicans "are using Israel as an excuse; what they really want are tax cuts for the wealthy."

I am so done with this thread, if you cannot admit that her words were twisted this is not a rational discussion but an instance of drawing a line in the sand and stubbornly refusing to admit that the OP changed the entire wording, as other news links have shown, to suit his own purpose.

He has every right to "feel" how he wants, he still lied (as the other link did) about her EXACT WORDS.

bye bye

o

Thou Shalt Not Lie.

o

Pelosi's words: "Republicans are using Israel as an excuse; what they really want are tax cuts for the wealthy."

MrsK interpreting Pelosi: "Jews vote Republican because they are rich and want a tax cut."

Freshman English class exercise: list the differences in content in the above two sentences.

I'm truly beginning to think that some of our posters here (and they appear to be reflective of a subgroup within our population, or even -- heaven forfend -- a majority, as certain posters claim) truly do not understand English grammar, particular the concept of predicate pronouns.

o

MrsK,

Pelosi thinks political diversity in the Jewish community is an anomaly. One cannot be Jewish and vote Republican unless one has been "exploited."

I hope she keeps talking, don't you?

o

Yes nik I do. Evidently I am interpreting her for some members of the Jewish community. And by osmosis, they are writing articles based on my interpretation. Dang I'm good!!

o

Jerzee, and Circuspeanut... speaking of education... (and then we have a thread on hand held devices and pornography)... my husband and I were just talking the other day about how that 2006 movie, "Idiocracy", could easily be a portent of the American future... and how Dax Shepard played perfectly the role of a typical future American. ;-)

Anyway...

o

Posted by maddie_athome (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 8:40

Thou Shalt Not Lie.

ROTF--The IRONY!

o

Again I ask mrs, what do YOU think she said ?

o

chase, it doesn't matter what "I" think she said, she has to convince those members of the Jewish community that she didn't mean what "they" thought she said. I won't be voting for the democrat no matter what!

o

Amazing, really. Here we have yet another thread in the tiring series of a blatant, intentional mis-interpretation / mangled edit-out-of-context / flat out lie promoted and spread among the far right, brought to the forum, then clearly debunked. On and on it goes.

o

Here we have yet another thread in the tiring series of a blatant, intentional mis-interpretation / mangled edit-out-of-context

Kind of like, "I like firing people," and, "Corporations are people."

How does Israel have anything to with tax cuts for the wealthy unless you are making a correlation between Jews and wealth?

o

Yes it does matter. Your words in your OP were very clear . You even said shame on her. Subsquent to that it was made clear she did not say what some allege she said and you believed she said.

In view of the new information do you still believe what you said.....

"she said this weekend that Jews vote Republican because they are rich and want a tax cut. "

Why can't you answer the question directly. I really don't get it. You either do or you don't.

o

I know, what a missed opportunity with the "I like firing people" taken out of context, when Romney was giving his ideas about how the health insurance industry works.

I commented at the time how totally absurd the idea was, that you could 'fire' your health insurance company if you didn't like their service. Picture someone just finishing up their 4th round of chemo, finds out that their insurance won't pay and they're stuck with a $30,000 hospital bill, thinking they're going to 'fire' that insurance company and hire another one.

As for the "corporations are people, my friend", once again its worth exploring that concept - I can see the point that corporations are made up of individual people, but how that translates into the political and financial clout of something like an Exxon-Mobil is missing the point.

o

The fact is that Pelosi didn't say what the OP states she said, it is a perversion of what she said to obscure the real issues and that is the way Mrs Kjun used it here. I have no idea why an intelligent person like MrsKjun would indulge in such blatant trolling, she knows it is not true but defends it just to keep the can rolling down the road. The result being that her credibility along with those who side with her has disappeared and this has nothing to do with her being a conservative as far as I am concerned, unless this type of behaviour is a conservative characteristic.

o

.....unless this type of behaviour is a conservative characteristic.

tune into FOX news or listen to right wing talk radio.

o

it doesn't matter what "I" think she said, she has to convince those members of the Jewish community that she didn't mean what "they" thought she said.

Sorry Mrsk, you just don't understand simple English.

Nancy Pelosi doesn't have to convince the Jewish Community about anything, let alone that she didn't mean what she said.
She was quite clear in what she said, and it is not what you claim it to be.

No matter how hard you try to spin this, or your pals Demifloyd, houseful, nik, citywoman or any others try to spin it to agree with you, Nancy Pelosi did not say what you claim she said.

Just about all the Jewish communities around the country don't believe she said what you claim she said.

You claim it doesn't matter what you think. Do you really believe that? If so, why did you start this thread? Why did you start a thread with claims that someone said something that they didn't say?

Was it because you have absolutely no listening and/or reading comprehension skills?

Was it because you thought you could get one up on those that disagree with your conservative beliefs?

Was it deliberate to stir the pot and cause animosity on HT?

It is apparent that what you do believe is important, that you believe it is important to you and important to state it on this forum. The question is the reason why you have to continue doing it and doing it with out right lies and assumptions that Jewish Voters don't have the ability to think on their own, think independently and are able to comprehend what someone says. follow the leader and vote only one way and assume that because someone who is Jewish and writes a column or a blog or some such nonsense is someone that all Jewish Voters will follow and support.

Must be a shocking idea that Jewish voters actually vote just like any other voter does, what they believe is the best person to run this country, is best for what they believe there needs are, what most represents their personal beliefs, including health care for all citizens, the economy, wars, jobs, etc and that Israel, support of Israel, is not the number 1 issue, the only issue or that Republican war mongering idiots can't persuade them to vote for the war mongering idiot that is supposed to be the GOP candidate for President.

You may speak for a minority Mrskjun, but you sure as heck don't speak for the majority in this country who have the ability to read, comprehend what they read, hear, comprehend what they hear and you sure don't represent the Jewish communities in this country or any country anywhere in the world.

To say that Nancy Pelosi has to convince the Jewish community about what she said is so pathetic, it's actually disgusting.
It's projection on your part, Mrskjun, because it is you and your ilk that she has to convince, if she so choses to do so, to convince that she didn't say the lies that you are attempting to attribute to her.

"ahhh littleone, I just have to tell you, your rambling posts have become longer and longer, and stranger and stranger. I just wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't bother to read the things anymore.

Just another example of how your reading comprehension skills a sorely lacking and your understanding of the definitions of words is lacking as well.
I'm not the one who is posting rambling posts and I'm certainly not the one that is posting lies and claiming them to be the truth either.

o

"PS: I am a big fan of littleoneb's writings."

Ditto that.

There is only one person on this thread of whom it is accurate to say "what was she thinking" and actually I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Nobody who has made any effort to inform themselves believes that Pelosi said what she was quoted as saying. It is just a convenient vehicle for those who care nothing for truth and everything for their own twisted view of others.

Sometimes I think there are two different versions of English being spoken in this country - how else can you explain the huge leaps of illogic that some partisans make?

o

I'm not defending anything other than the authors right to believe what they believe. Send them an email and convince them they are wrong.

chase, I don't know what to tell you. I worry that before the election here in the US, you are going to be worn to a frazzle defending liberal causes.

No but littleone, you are posting personal insults in your rambling posts, and I ain't demi. I've had enough of them. And if you want, we can take it up with the moderator or you can choose your words a little more wisely.

o

I'm not the one who is posting rambling posts and I'm certainly not the one that is posting lies and claiming them to be the truth either.

Really?

You have a short memory, littleone.

You have no problem suggesting very specific lies as truth about my personal life.

o

Thanks mrs, you have answered the question. It is unfortunate when one is unable to defend or correct, as appropriate, their stated position.

As for me being worn to a frazzle, don't worry there is no chance of that happening. I only defend that which I believe to be right and I do it honestly and openly.

o

This is kind of funny. The author Ronn Torossian said; "Pelosi is basically claiming that Jews only want money and don't give a damn about Israel."

Then Mrs. K, you went and posted a thread in which you said; "Nancy Pelosi, the Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives said this weekend that Jews vote Republican because they are rich and want a tax cut. The Jewish community will not ignore this ! Could one imagine the rightful outcry if a Republican made an offensive statement like "Blacks are democrats because they are poor and want welfare." Shame on Nancy Pelosi!

Since you didn't include the original author's quotes, you made it appear as if it were not his opinion, but a fact, and you were merely repeating the facts, instead of some guy's interpretation of something Ms. Pelosi said.

And now everyone is running around like mad. HA!

o

lol... then Mr. Torossian said "For Nancy Pelosi to say Jews only care about money is deeply insulting."

(see how these quotie thingies work?) He put words in Ms. Pelosi's mouth, and then he spun it around to seem as if she had actually said those words. Now, I'm quoting him, but he can't use quotations around those words in his article because SHE NEVER SAID THOSE WORDS. Notice how he used them around the words she did say. That's how it works :)

pffffftttttttttt..... What a silly game.

o

Yes, What was mrskjun thinking??

o

You have no problem suggesting very specific lies as truth about my personal life.

Actually, I asked questions demi, didn't accuse you of anything. asking questions is not stating specific lies about you and claiming they are the truth, at least not in anyone's mind but yours.

questions and statements based on your posts Mrskjun, and you call those personal attacks? HMM

o

You truly do have a reading comprehension problem littleone.

I said suggested.

I know your little game and you will never win.

o

S/he already did.....

o

win...long time ago.

o

Only in your minds.

Which is of no consequence to me.

o

"I know your little game and you will never win."

Thanks for letting me know I was playing a game, Demi. I was totally unaware of it.

Can you let me in on the rules though, as I have no idea what you are talking about. I can't "play" this, so called "little game" without knowing the rules.

Seems that some, though, think I've already won.

o

"Which is of no consequence to me." Apparently it is and that's the win!

o

Sometimes I think there are two different versions of English being spoken in this country

You go that right! It all started with the definition of "is" and continues with, "what I said was..."

I read over and over that blacks vote what in their best interest, and now Jews vote in their best interest. Would anyone like to share what those interests are?

o

Description of the "Poisoning the Well" logical fallacy

This sort of "reasoning" involves trying to discredit what a person might later claim by presenting unfavorable information (be it true or false) about the person. This "argument" has the following form:

* Unfavorable information (be it true or false) about person A is presented.
* Therefore any claims person A makes will be false.

This sort of "reasoning" is obviously fallacious. The person making such an attack is hoping that the unfavorable information will bias listeners against the person in question and hence that they will reject any claims he might make. However, merely presenting unfavorable information about a person (even if it is true) hardly counts as evidence against the claims he/she might make. This is especially clear when Poisoning the Well is looked at as a form of ad Homimem in which the attack is made prior to the person even making the claim or claims. The following example clearly shows that this sort of "reasoning" is quite poor.

Before Class:
Bill: "Boy, that professor is a real jerk. I think he is some sort of eurocentric fascist."
Jill: "Yeah."

During Class:
Prof. Jones: "...and so we see that there was never any 'Golden Age of Matriarchy' in 1895 in America."

After Class:
Bill: "See what I mean?"
Jill: "Yeah. There must have been a Golden Age of Matriarchy, since that jerk said there wasn't."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here