Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What did you pay for gasoline today?

Posted by elvis 4b WI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 0:55

Gas in far northern Wisconsin (17 miles south of the UP border) has gone up 10 cents/day for each of the past 2 days...$4.10 this evening as I passed through town. Anyone paying more yet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What did you pay for gasoline today?

So what?

o

2 days ago I paid $3.59/gallon, cash only, which is about .10/gallon less than credit.

o

Jumped up 19 cents in one day here and still rising.

So what heri? Maybe you are mr moneybags, but for those people who are either looking for work, working part time, or making minimum wage, it's a big deal.

o

I don't even look. One has to pay whatever is asked for the best bargain in the universe.

o

Here in central Maryland it's gone up about 30 cents a gallon, rather quickly, to about $3.55. At the tourist trap stations near the interstate it's over $4 a gallon.

Hopefully, Congress will save the middle class tax cuts, that extra $1600 or so will keep paying for gas.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 8:41

Well congress is on a 5 week vacation right now, out of their 231/2 weeks they get a year so I would not look for them to be doing much of anything.

Gas went up 20 cents here ...

o

I paid $5.80 for 93 octane without ethanol on the lake yesterday.

o

Anyone know why gas is going up so much lately? It had gotten as low as $3.00 (literally) at the lowest point and then suddenly started going up fast. That same station is $3.31 now.

o

I always buy gasoline in the well-to-do communities. It's cheaper there.

and that's a fact!

Neighboring cities:

Gasoline in Dublin, OH, near the zoo. $3.88
Gasoline in minority area of Columbus, $4.09.

Chardon, OH. $3.69
E.55 & Cedar, Cleveland. $3.99.

Minority neighborhoods generally pay up to $6.00 more per tankful.

o

Ours just dropped - $3.49 for regular.

o

When I'm away from my gas pumps, I generally buy gas outside the cities where they have easy access to the pumps.

I'm often pulling trailers and boats, so I can't pull up to the pumps and have no place to park until spaces open up.

Leaving your boat, coolers, fishing poles, tackle, gas tanks unattended at city stations is also very risky. I've been ripped off several times.

Our stations outside the cities generally have cheaper gas prices, tons of parking, plus they're the only places where customers can buy bait, fishing tackle, non ethanol gas, kerosene, propane, block ice, sporting goods, marine supplies, camping supplies etc.

When I need Premium without ethanol, about the only place to buy it is on the lakes.

o

I never buy gas in the city of Atlanta - at least 20 cents a gallon more there. Yet, those folks have pretty pricy rents (which means they are affluent or that is why the gas costs so much, higher land rents for the gas stations?).

It would certainly pay those folks to drive out to the suburbs and fill up there!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 10:06

The speculators smell blood and profits as the price of corn rises, so too will oil with a little helpful push. Expect the right to point their crooked fingers at Obama again...if he prevented rain from growing corn then maybe he really is the Messiah.

Gas around $3.40/gal here

o

Our gas at many of our city convenience stations are similar to suburban stations, but prices inside the stores are often higher and selection is much lower due to theft.

Many people avoid them due to parking issues alone. Your chance of door dings and scrapes is very high with such limited parking.

It takes forever to cash out in many city stores with so many people buying tons of scratch-offs.

o

Think the Enbridge pipeline spill in Wisconsin had/has something to do with the spikes here - at least in the Midwest. The line is still shut down while Endbridge finishes up their head scratching.

Gas went up to $3.74/$3.79

o

Yesterday at the non-COSTCO el cheapo station regular went for $3.80.

o

We were paying much higher gas prices(about 40 cents) here than any of you last time we talked aout this. We were told it was because our local refinery was shut down due to an explosion-except of coure we dont get our gas from the local refinery-so who knows. It finally started dropping coincidentally after the governor started talking investigation. Last week it was around $3.60 or so but was on its way up. Who knows why.
I think it is MrsK(?) who is fond of pointing out that gas was so cheap when Obama was elected and I have thought about that for awhile. While presidents have no control over gas prices some of their supporters-or conversely their non supportere we will call them-DO. I would posit that prices were low before the election to support the idea that a continuation of a Republican government would keep gas low and then rose to prove that Democratic administrations are bad for business. It is a good theory. Romeny has been taking a beating in the polls just lately. Rising gas prices would help.

o

An investigation would help. High gas prices affect every single American not just for personal fuel but because of increased prices for goods and services over all.

That is an issue that Congress could take up that would help everyone. But they won't. They are not here for us anymore.

o

Posted by heri_cles 10 (My Page) on Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 2:49

"So what?"

You're right, heri. It's only money. Money is a Hot Topic for me, though, especially right after the 1st, when I had to pay that @##$ mortgage payment...

o

I think it was $3.40 here yesterday.

o

3.69 in Portland this afternoon. But don't worry. In about another month- month and a half, the price of gas is going to begin to drop like a rock.

o

I only paid $3.09 this morning at Costco. I was happy!

o

Wish I had a Costco.

Bill, I agree with you; as we discussed months ago on another thread. I fervently hope we were/are right.

o

Since as I pointed out US presidents do not control the price of gas but Oil companies do and while both parties are a 'friend to business' Your average business-especially Oil Baron-sort of person tends to think of Republicans as their 'Bestest Friends' I would predict the opposite. It is entirely possible that the price of gas is not a result of the US election cycle since there is a whole other world out there but if it has an effect higher prices would help Republicans who dont want any job killing restraints on oil exploration.

o

Watch and see if the price doesn't drop like a rock, starting the last week of september- first week of october, and continue droping down to about 3.29 by the beginning of november.

Ah'm psychick

o

Oh yeah-- paid 3.72 this morning.

o

$3.579 for premium.

Last week it was $3.43.

o

Last week? SATURDAY (as in 2 days ago), at the very same gas station it was 3.59.

o

Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 18:59

I didn't buy any, I walked to the store :)

o

The lowest price I paid in the historic times that it dropped like a rock in 2008 right before the election was $1.39 a gallon.

Unbelievable.

And it still didn't help John McCain.

o

esh, NOTHING could've helped McCain. GOP was destined to lose the last election. Especially once he picked the bimbo as his running mate.

o

Up two cents. As always, the local cartel/monopoly has this choreographed down to a show worthy of Broadway - all 12 stations all get the email, they send the minions out with the new price tags and long poles and change all the prices to the same thing. To the tune of Swan Lake

o

Yep everyone around me jumped 10 cents overnight. And I'll bet they didn't all get gas overnight ... I swear, this stuff needs to be INVESTIGATED.

o

Wow, another oil refinery fire, this time at the Cevron refinery near Frisco.
Does this photo remind you of anything?

I want to switch to electric vehicles as soon as I can. That's is going to be the industry that gets our manufacturing base clicking and evens out the cost for energy. Natural gas is abundant now to create electricity and we begin to increase the amount of electricity from renewable sources once we remove the great obstructionist party from control in Congress.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire Rages At Richmond Refinery

o

esh, NOTHING could've helped McCain. GOP was destined to lose the last election. Especially once he picked the bimbo as his running mate.

I disagree. It was because millions actually believed Obama was presidential. Even Obama has a bimbo VP.

o

President Obama believed that allowing Detroit to go Bankrupt would have cost tens of thousands of jobs in States like Ohio, and he was right. It was not only Presidential to standup for the middle class, it was prescient as it turned out.

On the other hand Romney wanted to let Detroit file Bankruptcy but there was no private funding to allow them to come out on the other side. Therefore, his plan would have killed off one of our proudest industries and taken us from a severe Recession into a depression with hundreds of thousands of additional job losses that we could ill afford.

Romney was motivated to bankrupt the auto industry in order to kill Unions,..just like many Republicans want to do with the Post Office.
Romney would prefer to outsource all manufacturing to slave labor overseas where no environmental regulations or workers rights impede corporate profit.

Never forget, the shining city on the hill in Romneys world is for the upper one tenth of one percenters only.

The rest of you Romney arse kissers are just along for the ride, like poor old Seamus.

Don't worry, we will hose you off after your ride is over in November.

Here is a link that might be useful: Romney flip-floppin' like a fish outta water again

o

Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 9:37

They are the "creators", let us pay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here