Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What did you do on your summer vacation?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 5:33

Many more are hitting the road this Labor Day since 2008 according to the AAA. Thus, I wonder if any of you went away this summer and where you went...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What did you do on your summer vacation?

Berlin, Budapest, Paris Giverny( to see Monets garden) Belgium and Bangkok. and Now I am exhausted.

o

It is about time that you returned to your neglected dogs and forum...

o

you were right I had trouble using the tablet!

o

Well, your tech support was incapacitated...

o

What vacation? I don't get a real vacation. Animals require care every day.

The most we get is a few days to run north for short family visits. We took a few days about a month or so ago and had a nice time.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 9:56

Our summer vacation is after Labor Day once off season rates kick in on the Outer Banks.

o

My cottage is my summer vacation. even though it's non stop company! We never travel in the Summer, it's too beautiful here on the lake. .

Jan, Feb and March and June (black flies) .....I'm outta here!!!

o

Living in beautiful downtown Charleston, in view of the gardens, river, and historic homes is like a constant vacation. However, we did get down to St. Augustine, Florida, where we enjoyed the old colonial Spanish architecture, and good restaurants. We were amazed to find no mosquitos, and breezy weather in the 80's.

o

Wow Pam I thought you were through with traveling great trip!
I worked, then I worked oh & i filled in for someone on vacation at work
I gardened a little, took some pictures mostly near home went to both botanical gardens.
A buddy visited from California!
Ho hum!

This post was edited by labrea on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 10:36

o

The usual short trips to other lakes - Ontario, Seneca, Cayuga, Champlain, Otsego, Oneida, Indian, Long, Peck's, Blue Mountain, Schroon, Raquette, Placid, Pleasant, Piseco, Tupper etc.

o

I took a weekend trip to the Texas Hill Country and of course it's like home away from home to me--the olive ranch was a great tour and from what I learned I think I will order all my olive oil from the place--it seems there are indictments in Europe on adulterated olive oil what is sold here as pure Italian olive oil is in fact quite frequently from other countries imported to Italy, and is in fact not 100% olive oil, much less pressed. The health benefits decline considerably if the olive oil is old. That's another thread.

I'm returning to Utah again this summer for a week of daily three hour hikes at dawn, pilates, yoga, zumba, water aerobics, etc. and cooking classes, all healthy and mostly organic meals, reflection, meditation, no phones and no computers. I might work in a massage or two. Since I seldom watch television here, that won't be a problem there, either. I had no idea what it was like to totally wind down, have no responsibilities except to myself, and not be distracted by anyone or anything for several days at a time.

That trip enriched my life so much last year that I am planning on making it an annual trek.

o

Wow, what a fabulous, fabulous trip you had YQ! Im totally envious!

No vacation at all except for a week's camping trip up in the mountains near gorgeous Stanley back in early part of summer. We planned to go again for 2 weeks in late August/ earlyish Sept but the fires resulting in terrible air quality there ( and down here in the valley) pretty much squashed that plan, much to my great disappointment. We might try in very late Sept, a lot depends upon a lot. Even a slight chance of snow up there ends any plans of hauling our camper into the middle of forest land.
We did manage a car trip to Jackson Hole with two other couples late last winter, we stayed a week there. A friend of a friend loaned us all their cabin so we drove there doing it on the cheap and had one of the best holidays we ever have had, I will never forget that trip. We hired a cleaning crew the day we were leaving, leaving the cabin even better than we found it and went in all together to leave her and her family a gift certificate for dinner at the nicest restaurant there as thanks.
Jackson Hole is simply stunning, were I wealthy I would love to live there year around. But I would have to be truly wealthy to manage that, Im grateful for what I did get with our trip. If anyone is wanting a trip somewhere, I do recommend Jackson Hole.

We just dont spend on big vacations anymore, we never really have. He plans to retire in four or five years and we have been focused on financially preparing for that for quite awhile. We don't any longer long to leave the country as a vacation since we lived outside as well as around the country so much of our lives as we both were military brats and he was career military too - although Y.Q's vacation does sound heavenly, to be sure!

We plan on picking up photography again, take some classes again together and when he retires, do lots of photo day trips and longer car travels around the tri state area. So very much to see right where we live with the ability to get back to the house reasonably quickly.

But, only when our large yellow labrador has died though, it would be much too hard on her to travel in the car ( we wont travel with the camper) and she is getting to old now to have to deal with being boarding out, even though the place we have always used is excellent. She wants her own home and bed with us there. She has developed some joint problems where car travel would not be enjoyable nor comfortable for her. She is 12 now, by the time he retires she will be very old.
We are saving now, there is plenty of time for play later if we stick to our plan, which we are actually very good at doing.

o

Mostly I went to (and paid for) my daughter's wedding in Philadelphia in June. That pretty much took care of vacations this year (and probably for a few years). Worth it, though.

Other than that, Cape May for baseball tournament in early August. Manahawkin for baseball tournament over Labor Day Weekend. Maryland (Ripken) for baseball tournament in October.

I hear we might go to South Carolina and Omaha next summer for baseball tournaments.

You get the idea...haven't had a real (not baseball related) vacation in a long time.

o

I know what you mean about trying to travel with a large old dog. We took our elderly lab sized dog in our popup camper and she refused to use the steps which apparently just didn't look right some how and would not lay down on what was obviously not a real floor and had a thoroughly disorganized time. One of the young cats had broken her leg so was thumping around all night, the other looking for the way to escape and the old cat bit me on the toe on principle because he was so peeved about being disturbed while in his mind making the best of a very nasty situation.

My ideal vacation is one I can only afford every couple of years but it is taking a cliff cabin at Kalaloch over on the Pacific coast and just sitting on the sofa and watching the ocean come and go for as many days as I can squeeze out of the budget. I find it restful. No TV, no phones, no reception. The cats hide under the bed.

o

I broke my ankle on 6/17 and spent six weeks in a hospital bed in my den. Then to a boot but at least I can drive. I missed a great wedding in my neighborhood, and the Blueberry Festival in Machias, ME, where my son and his family live--missed seeing two of my grandkids.. I lose the boot on Monday and go back to school on Tuesday. Does this whole scenario suck? Well, yes.

o

Oh, pidge, that's awful! I'm glad you're healing but sorry your summer sucked!

RE ideal vacation...for me that's long enough in a tropical location to forget what day it is. Plenty of sun, pool, beach, drinks, food and plenty of people to bring me what I want when I want it.

DH and I were just talking the other day about one of the best vacations we had (it was actually a few months before we got married). One year over xmas vacation (DD spent xmas with her dad since we don't celebrate it) the 2 of us took a Windjammer Cruise around the British Virgin Islands. So wonderful. When we first got on the ship, I was not convinced I wanted to be there. Not luxurious in any way and I like a luxurious vacation. Before we set sail, during the buffet dinner (did I mention I hate buffets?), I overheard a couple talking to another couple. The 1st couple had been on the ship the week before and were staying for another week. They were telling them there was no hot water on the ship, so only cold showers. I looked at soon-to-be-DH and he said if you want to get off the ship, tell me now and we'll find a hotel on the island (Tortola). I felt bad because he'd paid for this vacation and he would have had to then pay for resort and food, etc. So, we stayed. Learned quickly to take shower in the afternoon after sun had warmed the water tank. So glad we stayed. Best, most relaxing, vacation. Nothing to do but read, lie in the sun, swim, and snorkel. The crew would often prepare a bbq'd lunch on whatever beach we happen to sail to do that day. Swim/snorkel from the boat to the beach and eat lunch. Lie in sun. Swim/snorkel back to boat. By the second day we forgot what day it was. I would go again in a second, but it's not for kids. They'd be bored to death. Or at least my son would.

o

I hope your ankle is better, Pidge, and I hope it's not long to a complete recovery! I also hope you didn't encounter much boredom, what with all the suggestions given in the previous thread that discussed the subject! :-)

Twice now, only this summer, I've had short recovery times of 3 days to a week due to severely pulled back muscles. I can't seem to remember that my strength is limited these days, and I end up doing too much, or lifting too much, or twisting wrong... ah, well... such is life! The older I get, the more frustrating it is!

Positive thoughts offered to everyone suffering in some way... may you heal fast and well, or at least find the desired peace from pain!

o

Jodi, I did not get to polymer clay or the needlework someone else suggested, but I do have future projects for both crafts uder investigation--sites bookmarked, if you know what I mean.

Be well yourself, Jodi--I'm back to "making" and I do look forward to a good semester. Hug a doggie for me!

o

"That trip enriched my life so much last year that I am planning on making it an annual trek."

Sounds wonderful, Demi. I could go for a trip like that (love Texas). Now I'm wondering about my olive oil. Do they have a website?

o

We went for a long drive past Quebec City to go whale watching - there were Fin Whales, Humpback, Minke and Belugas. The Saguenay Fjords are fantastic. It was a short holiday though.

o

Posted by elvis 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 19:17

"That trip enriched my life so much last year that I am planning on making it an annual trek."

Sounds wonderful, Demi. I could go for a trip like that (love Texas). Now I'm wondering about my olive oil. Do they have a website?

Elvis, yes, they do.

I tried the blood orange olive oil (added during processing not afterwards) and the lime olive oil. My late summer garden has produced fresh tomatoes this week so for lunch I've enjoyed the lime olive oil drizzled over the fresh tomatoes with sea salt. It didn't need balsamic vinegar. Of course most of the time I will prefer just regular olive oil.

The olive ranch is a working ranch with cattle and they grow vegetables which supply many of the inns, restaurants and bed and breakfasts in the area (south of Austin).

Here you go--I can vouch for many of the products since we had a tasting after the tour!

Bella Vista Ranch

o

The prices I saw are certainly very friendly for the olive oils, I might order a bottle of plain to see if I like it - thanks for the link!

o

Pidge, glad you are on the mend and it sounds like the worst is over.

Youngest DS spends 4-6 weeks every summer with his uncles and this year they went to Japan and Hong Kong so my schedule was my own. I took complete advantage and I spent time at our house in the country relaxing, gardening and working on art with some short trips to family, friends and spend time in some museums and two very quick trips to the west coast for some business. I love the city on summer weekends when it it empties out and people make their exodus so we try to stay here on weekends and leave during the week.

Our next overseas trips are planned for the fal. I prefer spring and fall when the crowds are less and now we are just enjoying the surprisingly, relatively nice weather we have had this year...so far.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 6:54

Well, I went to the States in July. Stayed with mom in Chicago, spent a week in Vermont getting married, a long weekend in Houston \with DS2, back to Chicago and then back to Haifa.

To make a very long story short, DW and I are going to Cancun the first week of December for a week with my mom, sisters and their Dh's. I've never been to Mexico, and certainly never, ever been to a luxury resort. Should be interesting!

My first honeymoon in '82 was in the British Virgin Islands, on a little island, Virgin Gorda, right next to Tortola. Fabulous, wonderful week.

We very rarely go "on vacation", as the vast majority of travels are to the States to see mom and family. DS1 lives in Malmo, Sweden, and I went there last winter for a week to visit. If we go anywhere without relatives to crash with, we either Couch Surf or stay at AirB&B's (of which our home will be one too after September). We rarely get to Jerusalem and usually get to Tel Aviv only 2-3 times a year. There are countless gorgeous, interesting places around Israel, so anytime anyone comes to visit we like to play tour guide and tool around with them.

School (aka work) starts Tuesday. I've had two weeks at home doing little things, cleaning out drawers, gardening, writing letters, dealing with paperwork and generally hanging out, sleeping late and being lazy. Love it!

o

Congrats Batya !!!!! Wonderful news!

o

Vacation? I'm not familiar with that concept ...

o

Congratulations Batya.
I hope you have many good years together.

o

Well, once you get involved with polymer clay, Pidge, you'll be busy for a while! The ideas just don't stop! :-)

We've been busy putting up apple butter and other goodies from the bounty of our single Fuji apple tree... I've never seen it produce so well!

The back is a little better today... muscle pulls are painful, but heal rather quickly with decent rest and proper treatment.

I'll be sure to hug them all for you, Pidge! ;-)

For those of you lucky enough to travel, I hope your vacations are good ones! Safe travels to all!

o

Mazel Tov Batya! Wishing you a long and happy life together!

o

"Here you go--I can vouch for many of the products since we had a tasting after the tour!"

Thanks! ;-)

o

New York City, Washington DC, Philadelphia PA, and the Jersey Shore.

I should mention that all these "vacations" were about 18 hours long. All day trips because my pets are my masters and rule me like little tyrants. The cats could do it alone for a few days, but would never forgive me. The dogs I won't board.

In fact I did leave them today to go on a very mini trip to our old stomping ground with daughter and grandson and two of his buddies .Mine as a child, hers as a child ,and grandson's as a child. We love Ocean City NJ. I'm just glad to live in the great Northeast, just a few hours from so many great cities and the Atlantic Ocean. We can be there in 2 hours and 50 minutes.

Cats were peeved, and the dogs barked at me thinking I was a robber. Cat dishes were empty. Husband said they are too fat anyway. His excuse.

o

Check out Bing's photo for the day--that's where I will soon be hiking!

o

Batya! Mazal Tov! Enjoy your international life together!

I hope that one day the laws here in the States will accommodate all that you and your DW wish for and need.

Best wishes,
Sable

o

on re reading this thread it occurs to me that someone may have taken Richard seriously regarding his comments to me about returning to my negleced dogs.
I can assure you that no dogs were neglected for my holiday...like you Lilly I have never boarded my dogs and my DD moved into our home while we were gone to give my pooches the same level of attention that they receive while we are there!

Batya congratulations!! and Pidge I wish you a speedy , full recovery

o

Bon jour!!!

Unless something got lost in translation, I expect to follow
youngquinn's footprints today to Giverny.

"Access to the museum of impressionism

train:
• line PARIS SAINT-LAZARE FRENCH NATIONAL RAILWAY COMPANY / Rouen, descent to Vernon (in 5 km) then taxis, drunk or possible tenancy of bikes.
• Timetables of trains: TER FRENCH NATIONAL RAILWAY COMPANY
• Timetables of shuttles between Vernon and Giverny:
Transport Valley of Seine: 0 800 27 27 00"

The drunk part shouldn't be a problem.

I just hope the bike is a three wheeler.

au revoir

Hay

o

hay !you will LOVE IT !!
we stayed in Giverny for 3 days. Can I recommend the camembert crepe at the Baudy hotel to you ?
Le Maison des Plumes does a mean dessert also.
but , of course the highlignt of Giverny is Monets garden!
it was a wonderful experience to stand in Monets bedroom looking out over his garden , even if it is not exactly as it was in his time.
what a shame we were not there atthe same time....we could have shared a bottle of wine!!

o

The wheels are coming off of the world while some philistines gallivant around...

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 8:04

Thanks so much for all the good wishes and mazal tovs. We had a rather add-water-instant-wedding put completely together in a week, but it was lovely. Considering we waited 15 years for it, all is good and we are very, very grateful.

Travel on!!!!

o

It seems most here had lovely summers -- nobody flooded or smoked out?

It may be time for us to have a real 'vacation'! Nice to read of Jackson Hole. DH and I were both there as kids, guests of the same family, but at separate times. (Something we discovered on our first date.) We go between homes north of Chicago and in South Maui (two months in winter).

It's been a lovely summer with adequate rain off and on until NOW -- starting into a hot and humid stretch to rival 1953. Last summer's drought is showing in stressed trees, and the emerald ash borers' handiwork is becoming evident. (Don't stand under an ash tree.) Big tree bills coming -- maybe put off that 'vacation' again!

o

In April, DH and I spent the entire month in a small town in the Loire Valley. Then, in June, we went to Minnesota for DGS's high school graduation, then flew to New Orleans for nephew's wedding. It's a good thing we got our traveling in then as just 6 days after our return, I had another hernia repair (in and out of the hospital in 5 hours as it was pre-planned and not emergent). Then, in mid-July, DH passed out and was in the hospital 4 days while they figured out that the beta-blocker he had been taking for 8 years was 8 times the dosage it should have been (he has changed doctors, obviously). Then, just a week ago, he had a pacemaker implanted. So, now we have medical bills to pay in addition to paying off the remaining expenses of our travels.

In 2006 we went to Giverny and it was the highlight of our trip that year. In 2009, we went to Pont du Gard near Nimes and are still awed when we see photos of it. This year, the highlight (aside from two weekends we spent with French friends) was our trip to the Gardens at Villandry.

After going through airport security, passport control, etc., etc., we are both of a mind that we won't be traveling again for a long, long, time - at least not by air. When we were walking to baggage claim in New Orleans, upon our arrival, we had to walk by people going through security and my stomach clenched. That's a pretty good indication of how all that traveling affected me.

o

I recently returned from a week of visiting my son, DIL, and my newest granddaughter in California.
While there, in addition to cooing over the new baby, I would take their dog on long walks along the bluffs overlooking the Pacific and planted them a small garden behind their apartment.
It was a great working vacation. The Carpenteria, Santa Barbara, Goleta area is amazingly beautiful,

o

youngquinn, yes, it was wonderful!

I'm doing the speed touring version of Paris, so I only spent the day in Giverny and only did Monet's house/garden and the Impressionist Museum. The museum had a wonderful exhibit of a contemporary Japanese artist, Hiramatsu that just blew me away.

Every piece of art work I've seen is even better than the ones I just saw.

I'm doing Paris for seven days. This is day four or so and most of my time has been spent at the art museums. I'm the first one in and the last one out.

Notre Dame, Louvre, Musée de l'Orangerie, d'Orsay; museums and sites around Geneva, in Lyon.I don't eat all day so I can spend more time looking. Too much to see to think about eating.

I am based in Geneva area where I spent 10 days and will spend another week. I have a friend there. I am blessed.

au revoir

Hay

o

today is my last day and night in paris. Too bad because I'm finally finding some places to dance.

Last night I checked out the everynight dances on the banks of the Seine. You certainly could not ask for a better place to dance!

There are three dances going on each night, one in each of the three sunken areas that you can see in the picture.

last night was tango, swing (rock) and folk.

tonight is tango, west coast swing (my current obsession) and bachata.

I will certainly spend most of my time at the west coast, but I will certainly be checking out the bachata.

Bachata? I'd never heard of it either, so

I checked it out

ooh la la!!!!

I hope all of you are enjoying yourself as much as I am.

au revoir

Hay

o

Au revoir, Paris. I hardly got to know you.

Yesterday was le Musée Marmottan Monet,which, I think, according to my guide book houses the largest collection of Monet's work. It has the painting by Monet that gave the name, "Impressionism", to the art style. I love Monet. Lots of donations by rich people made this wonderful experience possible. God bless rich people.

The bachata dance was not quite as ohh la la as it appeared.

It's on the Left Bank of the Seine. A short walk from Notre Dame. The area around the dance was packed with people enjoying themselves. I could have danced at least four types of dance. And much more. Filled even when I left at 11.

If you have a chance to travel, go to Paris.

I want to stay here and not come back.

au revoir

Hay

o

Ah... Paris in summer! Never been. Hope you're having a good time, Hay.

More apple butter put up... other items on the way. Winding down the growing season... and baking lots of breads and apple cakes and pastries... all organic!

The dog days of summer... when the dogs lay around like rugs on the floor, holding down the floorboards! Did you know that dogs' brains secrete the same chemicals our brains secrete when we're in love? It explains why they're always so happy to see us! Dogs have no sense of time, either... explaining why they're equally happy to see us whether we've been gone 5 days, or only 5 minutes! Just an interesting little factoid or two.

It's been very hot and rather humid... roses are on their third flush or so, still beautiful and the scent still wafts across the yards.

No... no flooding or tornadoes or anything untoward in my neck of the woods.. knock on wood!

A nice summer and autumn to all!

o

Glad you enjoyed paris hay, although I have to admit that I found Berlin and Budapest the fascinating choices on this trip. and belgium , of course remains one of my all time favourite countries.

o

OK, you guys, you can knock it off now...

o

oh stop complaining, you have your 60 inches!

o

Are you trying to expose me?

o

I looked up Bachata and it's not that different from what Miley Cyrus was doing!

o

LOL, Jerzee!

o

Killing a little time at my friend's workplace in downtown Geneve til she's off work.

On my way to the museum yesterday, on the Metro, I needed to change at a stop named, "Franklin D. Roosevelt". Aha, I said, I can relax; when they announce the name of the stop, I'll finally understand what they're saying.

Au Contraire, more gobbly talk. I had a moment of panic trying to decide if this was my stop. It was and I managed to get off the train.

Later I asked an English speaking Frenchman how they say, "Franklin D. Roosevelt". Didn't even come close to our way. But then, the people in Geneve can't even pronounce their own city properly. A country boy has a lot to learn if he's going to become a world traveling cosmopolitan.

To keep the topic hot, I guess the Socialist French love FDR.

I haven't seen any tributes to Ronald Reagan yet.

au revoir.

Hay

o

I hope your summer vacation ends on as high a note as those you have told us about already, Hay.

o

It's been one high note followed by more high notes the entire time. Nothing bad so far.

Most of my time has been spent in Geneva, a Swiss border town of France and my friend works in Geneva and lives just across the border in France. She has been a wonderful host and a wonderful tour guide for me. I could never have had such a wonderful, relatively cheap, vacation in this area without her.

She and I traveled around the Lac Leman, the largest (?) inland lake in Europe that Geneva sits at the bottom of. What a wonderful site to ride along. The Alps rising majestically above the pristine waters. Just simply awesome. We were on our way to a Modigilana art exhibit

http://www.gianadda.ch/wq_pages/en/expositions/

in the picturesque town of

https://www.google.ch/search?q=martigny+switzerland&client=firefox-a&hs=jgQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EkckUuK3O4jWswawhIHICg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=889

google "martigny switzterland" and go to images if the link is a problem.

We found that there was a local festival on the grape slopes above the town and spent some time there, too.

Just another day in the life of cosmopolitan Hay.

Yesterday was our second day in "Nyon France", just down the road from her home.

https://www.google.ch/search?q=nyon+france&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=i0gkUufZI8rQsgbTjoDQAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=889

Too much to share with you. I'm close to filling up my camera's card space. Close to 16 Gb of space, about 3000 pictures and movie clips.

Just to keep it hot. Geneva was home to Calvin and his Reformation crew:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Calvin

And as you can read, keeping true to the church's history he played a role in seeing to it that some of his opposition met an untimely death.

au revoir

Cosmopolitan hay

o

Child labor in Socialist France:

I think, in this case, it could be a con, too. The kid looks way too clean and well dressed to have slept on the street the night before. I suspect the suitcase they're sitting on, trying to suggest they're homeless, is just a prop they cart in each day. The kid seemed to enjoy the job. She'd gleefully jump up and grab the money that hit the little box. Teach'em while they're young.

On the other hand, I suspect this is the real thing:

I'd see them everyday in the same spot. The kid seemed well adjusted. He played around like any well adjusted kid in his street playground.

I could see them from my hotel window, arriving each day for work.

Hay

o

We took our first week-long vacation in 10 years. We went to CA in June & spent three days in San Francisco and the remainder of the time in Napa & Sonoma. Stayed in the Gaige House, a lovely place in Glen Ellen. San Francisco was fun and interesting, though still a bit chilly for me. Wine country was great and it is such a beautiful area!

o

I can remember a segment on something like 60 Minutes many years ago in which, I think it could have been Diane Sawyer, reporting about gangs of young Gypsy kids bombarding a tourist at some popular tourist spot, swarming all around the tourist, and the tourist ending up with everything of value picked from her pockets. The segment actually had Ms. Sawyer going to such a popular spot and while they were filming her.... Yep, she got hit with a gang of kids just like she was talking about. Lost her hotel keys and other stuff.

Was something similar to that going on at the Eiffel Tower?

Suddenly as I'm walking along, there's a big scuffle between a Black guy and a man who seems to be a part of this group of women. The Black guy seems to want to keep the other man from running away and is grabbing at his pockets as if he's trying to retrieve something.

Man runs away. Black guy races after him. Women go into a frenzy of excited talk among themselves. I snap this picture. Cops finally show up. Nothing seems to come of it.

Before the hullabaloo, I'd noticed a couple of women from the group doing some suspicious hustling type behavior on some tourists.

Talked to an English speaking German who seemed to think, as I did, that this was indeed a gang of Gypsies. I don't know, of course. Just speculation on my part. You'd think that the police could put an end to this at the important tourist spots. It was more than 30 years ago that I saw the Diane Sawyer report. I think they managed to get the Three Card Monte dealers out of the Time Square area in that time.

Hay

o

In Paris, I finally found some West Coast Swing dancing. Along the River Seine, just below the Notre Dame, pretty much every night there are several "pits" in the concrete walkway right along the river and in three of them, each night, there would be an organized dance of some type. Pit One on one night might be Salsa, Pit Two might be Argentine Tango and Pit Three might be West Coast Swing. Another night, another selection. This would go on til very late in the evening. I was amazed at the night life. There are more people on the streets of the Left Bank during the late evening than there are during the day.

West Coast:

Argentine Tango:

On my very last day in Geneva, I took a lazy walk. Where to? The Salvation Army thrift store. I love thrift stores, especially in far away places where I can get a different selection of tee shirts with silly things on them. So off I go.

Too bad it was my last day.

Hay

o

Opportunity missed :(

Amazing, Hay- you should have the "Hayland's dancing club" snapshot blown up to poster size, frame it and hang it at your home's entryway!

About the other, I feel like I saw a magazine news type of program such as you describe too. Its such a shame that elimination or at least a greater control over that sort of tourist abuse cant be brought about. That sort of event would leave me continuously tense and frightened and probably ruin the holiday I had looked forward to for months or even years. Luckily, while living out of country I never experienced anything like that but just like in the U.S. we all were educated on how to conduct ourselves and what to look out for. Glad it didnt happen to you.

o

DW and I were walking around Rome and had the 'pickpocketing horde o'kids' experience.

We responded with considerable vigor - kicks and roundhouse swings - and didn't lose anything, although came close with my watch.

o

Soon I'll be on the road again, heading to my high school reunion. A biggie one.

I'll be staying at cheap motels along the way. Where I'll be getting my free continental breakfast.

A continental breakfast? Something that Cosmopolitan Hay learned while globe trotting.

I've heard the expression forever, a continental breakfast, and I've sorta wondered what it meant, but never enough to actually track it down

In France and Switzerland, people don't really eat a real breakfast. Just finding a cup of coffee that's not the size of a thimble is a problem. Breakfast consists of a bit of bread, very tasty bread, but still, and a thimble full of coffee. That's it.

You'd think that the McDonald's in Geneva might have something like an Egg McMuffin, but NOOOO!!! Even there the only breakfast is a teeny cup of coffee and a little bit of bread. Very tasty bread.

So, finally in Paris, one morning I ask the hotel attendant where I could get a real breakfast. One with some eggs, a little bacon maybe and if I got lucky, some home fries.

"Oh, you mean an English Breakfast?"

Did you know the origin of "continental breakfast"? Hillbilly Hay certainly didn't. It's what the people on the Continent eat, not us proper English people. Finally on my very last day, at the airport, with time waiting for my flight, I eat a breakfast. They had an offering: "English Breakfast". Eggs and a plate mounded with bacon AND sausage!!

After I'm back, I've polled a few people and I get the impression that there are a lot more Hillbillies than just me out there. Everyone knows the expression, but no one seems to know its origins.

I feel so Cosmopolitan now.

Hay

o

Do the origins really matter? But - for your next trip abroad - the difference is/was one of geography... the European mainland vs. Great Britain. A continental breakfast is always coffee and bread or a roll (you can get continental breakfasts in GB) and the English breakfast or full English breakfast is what you discovered at the airport.

Just think how much more cosmopolitan (or "more better" fed) you would have been if you'd known this at the beginning of your excellent adventure.

o

Just think how much more cosmopolitan (or "more better" fed) you would have been if you'd known this at the beginning of your excellent adventure.

This reminds me of the other thread where American travelers were discussed.

Continental breakfasts are "real" breakfasts in many areas of the world as are other breakfasts depending on the country you visit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast

Here is a link that might be useful: Breakfasts around the world

o

I was never a big breakfast eater so the continental breakfast fare was always fine with me when traveling. Made scouting out interesting places for lunches and dinners a more exciting prospect.

o

Continental breakfasts are "real" breakfasts in many areas of the world

A light breakfast is necessary in some areas of the world because the main meal of the day is coming shortly -- al tocco if you're in Toscana.

o

Almost every single American hotel I've stayed in with restaurant services...no make that EVERY hotel with restaurant services, has a Continental breakfast on the menu and usually an American breakfast as well.

The American breakfast is close to a proper English breakfast except that the toast is usually warm not stone cold...... and the butter is salted not sweetened.

I prefer a Continental breakfast.

o

I am not a big breakfast eater here (except for Brunch) but I like eating the breakfasts of the country I am in when traveling. The breads, cheeses, meats, etc. and the more exotic breakfasts are all part of the experience.

o

"I am not a big breakfast eater here (except for Brunch) but I like eating the breakfasts of the country I am in when traveling. The breads, cheeses, meats, etc. and the more exotic breakfasts are all part of the experience."

I draw the line at scrapple, but, right now, I'm craving some good ole grits and red-eye gravy.

Hay

o

A light breakfast is necessary in some areas of the world because the main meal of the day is coming shortly -- al tocco if you're in Toscana.

Indeed. Some originated so that workers can get out early in the day before the heat and then a heavier meal is eaten later. It depends on the climate and culture. I love the breakfasts of the mediterranean countries that includes salads, olives, yogurt/labane, cheeses and local breads things one doesn't see here.

It is like dinner. Regular dinner hours differ in various countries. One doesn't think about having dinner until late in the night in Spain when Americans are usually already in bed.

And coffee...some coffees (cappucino for example) is only taken at certain time of the day and locals wouldn't think to have it at other times.

I agree Chase, I like a light, continental breakfast as well especially if I am going out for the day and want to be productive and a heavier one if I plan on being lazy. It also depends on the time of year.

For me one of the highlights of traveling is to eat as the locals do. I can eat as an American when I am here.

o

some coffees (cappucino for example) is only taken at certain time of the day

Caffe' latte too. (Or latte con caffe' in Milano.)

I would pass if anyone offered me grits and red-eye gravy for breakfast. (I'd pass on anything with gravy, for that matter. I'm queasy just typing the word.)

o

When we were in France, I ate the continental breakfast every day. But on our way to Normandy when we stopped at a tiny local restaurant and they offered an omelette with "jambon" and "frites," I almost cried with delight. What I love most about big English breakfasts in England is that there is always marmalade for the whole grain toast. I also like the roasted tomatoes and mushrooms.
Obviously I like a hearty breakfast to get me going for the day. Even when I drink a green smoothie for breakfast, I'm ready for an egg and toast not much later.

o

I want to go back to Paris. I got totally mesmerized with all the art work that I could see there. I'm not a big art student, but I loved seeing masterpiece after masterpiece....

I loved that I could stand inches away from a great masterpiece. I spent a lot of my time studying the detail that this allowed me. Oh, what fun, seeing the brush stokes of the great masters.

Guido Reni at Wikipedia

and his version of the

Abduction of Helen in Greek mythology.

Helen at Wikipedia

You can just imagine where my mind went when I walked down this wonderful hardwood floor at the Louvre.

Hay

o

"I am not a big breakfast eater here (except for Brunch) but I like eating the breakfasts of the country I am in when traveling. The breads, cheeses, meats, etc. and the more exotic breakfasts are all part of the experience."

I'm back in Hillbilly country. Heading for a high school reunion. In this country, "gravy" means a roux (notice the French...Cosmopolitan Hay) made with bacon drippings and milk or cream. It's what you put on top of the biscuit.

Just as bad as I remember it.

I danced 10 hours on Sunday halfway down and made it just in time to dance another night last night. Love those hardwood floors.

Hay

o

In this country, "gravy" means a roux (notice the French...Cosmopolitan Hay) made with bacon drippings and milk or cream. It's what you put on top of the biscuit.

In this country gravy means different things to different people in different areas. You mentioned one. Then there is brown gravy that people use on roast beef, there is turkey gravy, brown eye gravy and in Brooklyn and some areas of NJ it is what red sauce made with meat is called that is eaten with pasta on Sunday afternoon. There are others as well.

o

"I'm back in Hillbilly country.

In this "country", gravy usually means fat, wheat, and milk.

This morning I could have had grits, sausage gravy, and another thing I haven't seen in a while: fruit cocktail.

I really can't say that I enjoy any of that, but for memory sake it sparks a lot memories. Otherwise, I can live without it.

The first time I ever heard of tomato based sauce called "gravy" was from some Italian friends in the Bronx. Calling that sauce "gravy" was as alien to my ears as the Southern version of "gravy" must sound to your ears.

I'm loving the sound of the accents here. Hometown sounds.

Hillbilly Hay

o

Ah yes, fruit cocktail. Those little chunks of peaches, pears, occasional white grape, and one maraschino cherry - which Mom had to diligently cut apart so we all got a piece.

In its defense, there are some good fruit cocktail cake recipes out there.

o

Speaking of fruit cocktail cake, I haven't had any since my grandmother used to make it for Homecoming at the cemetery back in the early 70s.

I'm preparing to have a friend and her 5 year old granddaughter come out in about an hour and we are going to make homemade teacakes and decorate them for fall (although a request for "sparkly pink sprinkles and icing") has been communicated. No problem I keep all colors and types of sprinkles and decorations here.

The teacake recipe is from my great great aunt, so it will be nice to pass it down to another generation. I found the fruit cocktail recipe when I was getting the teacake recipe.

I remember eyeing the cherry and knowing I'd never get it because my brothers would get it first. Putting yourself last was ingrained in my family.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Regarding vacations, has anyone taken a Tauck guided tour?

o

I'm familiar with red eye gravy, not brown eye, and Sunday gravy is what my Italian friends call their tomato based sauce cooked all day with sausage, meatballs, steak tips, maybe some tripe, etc in it.

My folks have taken Tauck tours - very well regarded company from what I understand.

o

The OP: "I wonder if any of you went away this summer and where you went..."

We go to the UP every chance we get. There is so much to see: waterfalls, caves, mines, llittle mountains, wildlife, natural springs, Lake Superior (every mile of shoreline is unique), and more. So, lots of Harley riding and RV camping with the "kids." Dogs in RV; not in sidecars.

o

Fruit cocktail, now there's a memory. It's probably 30 or more years since I've had it. I'm guessing it's still made?

Re:Gravy. Not too long ago , I found out that gravy in some parts of the northeast means what we call spaghetti sauce.

o

"I'm guessing it's still made?

Yes, and it's still just as awful as you remember.

I was having a conversation with my nephew about the evils of Monsanto and he was going on about how we need to create "good", healthful food.....

I pointed out that people don't want good, healthful food. One of the things I find in my travels, is how hard it is to get good, healthful food on the road. You get to an exit with 5 offerings of food: McDonald's, Hardee's, Burger King, Wendy's and Bojangles. That's a pretty strong indication of what people want.

Another thing I'm not liking is that every cup of coffee comes in some plastic cup and ends up tasting more like plastic than coffee. I usually like the lingering taste of the coffee in my mouth, but for the past week, it's been a lingering taste of No.2 Recyclable plastic. At home I always carry a real ceramic mug in my car and immediately pour the coffee into the mug after buying it at Dunkin, but I don't feel like toting (slipping back to my Southern roots there) around my mug every time I go to my free Continental breakfast.

I miss my own cooking.

Master Chef Hay

o

You get to an exit with 5 offerings of food: McDonald's, Hardee's, Burger King, Wendy's and Bojangles. That's a pretty strong indication of what people want.

So true. And so sad. Thank goodness for smart phones. Easy to find a Panera or something similar not too far off the highway.

My Italian friends from Jersey City call red spaghetti sauce "gravy". I'd never heard that before I met them.

o

My Italian friends from Jersey City call red spaghetti sauce "gravy".

Yep. as I mentioned upthread It is used mainly to describe the meat sauce made on Sunday for the "macaroni and gravy" dinner usually eaten at 2-3 pm by Italian-Americans from Brooklyn, NJ and the Bronx. They don't use the word spaghetti either at least in Brooklyn and some other areas, it is macaroni. :)

o

I thought about those who could not afford a vacation with their families.

o

it is macaroni

Yes! Macaroni with gravy! Sounds yucky (to me), but I'm sure it's delicious.

o

That 'gravy' thing must really be a regionalism. Never in my life have I heard that expression.

Salsa or sugo or ragu' (meat sauce).

o

I grew up in north New Jersey and I'd never heard it either until I was working in New York and met these people from Jersey City. Oh, I just remembered one of them was originally from Brooklyn. Further confirming epi's info.

o

Nancy, it is definitly regional and old school Brooklyn. haven't heard it it called that anywhere else except on the Soprano's. Marinara sauce is called ragu or sugo or just sauce but Sunday "gravy" is its own animal. No one in Italy has heard of it either unless, of course, they have relatives in Brooklyn. :)

There are as many versions as there are grandmothers but it is usually cooked for hours with braciole, sausages and a variety of meat (pork, veal, beef). and sometimes meatballs. Meatball sandwiches and leftover "macaroni" the next day.

The extended family gathers at about 2-3 pm. You eat your macaroni (usually not spaghetti) and sauce first. Then the meats with a vegetable or two followed by Sambuca and nuts, then dessert (cannoli's and other pastries from the Italian bakery) if you have any room left. This takes place every Sunday afternoon and the meal lasts for several hours.

I learned to make mine from my friends grandmother. To leave out the braciole would be cause for condemnation in her book and always "fry" the tomato paste before adding the tomatoes. She always started early Sunday morning.

It is a tradition followed to this day in many Italian-American families here. You don't miss Sunday dinner unless you have a good reason.

Good memories from my childhood. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: One of thousands of recipes online.minus the braciole

o

I'm pretty sure my hairdresser -- from Italy, came here when she was a kid, her parents were old school Italian, never learned English, and always lived here in my town -- calls it gravy also. I will have to check with her next time I'm there...

o

Epi, thanks for the explanation of the labor-intensive recipe.

Involtini (braciole), polpettine (meatballs), and salsicce -- not for the faint-hearted or the cook in a rush.

Interesting to see the differences between northern, central, and southern dishes. I forget that southern dishes use more tomato than related central or northern dishes, and can have different names (braciole = involtini). Then there are the regional pasta preferences, and what was available in the U.S.

Maybe bollito misto, mixed boiled (simmered) meats might come close to the idea of the southern one-pot-two-courses Sunday dinner. The broth is used as the first course, with or without small pasta added, and the meat served as the second course accompanied by salsa verde -- parsley, capers, anchovies, hard-boiled egg in one version -- with vegetables on the side.

o

Indeed Nancy. It is the same idea, just another regional version. I love Bolito misto and is one of our winter staples. I can eat salsa verde on just about everything. :)

Every time I make Sunday gravy (no matter what day of the week) the prep and the smells take me back to childhood and I hear my friends Grandma Rosa's voice guiding me through the recipe. I learned well, I always make mine with braciole or else I still fear her wrath. :)

Jill, most of the grandmother's in Brooklyn were from Sicily so that may be part of it and it may have come from a tradition there although I have friends who have family from other parts of Italy and they too grew up with with it, I will also ask my friends about the history and see what they say.

OT: Did anyone hear what the Barilla pasta chairman said today about never using Gay's in their advertisements? Another fool to add to the (long) list.

Edited to add link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Barilla

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 17:55

o

OT: Did anyone hear what the Barilla pasta chairman said today about never using gay's in their advertisements? Another fool to add to the (long) list.

No, hadn't heard that. Had to go look for that. Here's part of what he said:

"I would never do (a commercial) with a homosexual family, not for lack of respect but because we don't agree with them. Ours is a classic family where the woman plays a fundamental role," Barilla, 55, said in an interview with Radio 24 on Wednesday.

I guess he's ok with a family with 2 moms then! Just not 2 dads.

Idiot.

o

I've never bought the Barilla brand. Don't particularly know why since it's right there occupying a large amount of shelf space in all the grocery stores here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snopes on Barilla

o

In my opinion, Barilla is by far the best dry/boxed pasta available. Once I tried it (years ago), I've never bought another brand. This is very upsetting.

o

In my opinion, Barilla is by far the best dry/boxed pasta available.

I agree.

Looks as if it might be time to pay more for the other imported brands.

o

In my opinion, Barilla is by far the best dry/boxed pasta available.

I agree. When I buy supermarket pasta that is what I bought. This "classic" family doesn't need to support idiots so since there are so many other brands to choose from, many are as good, I will just move on and if not fresh then I will choose another brand.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 18:42

o

I visited a friend yesterday and got another memory jolt.

This time it was out of a quart jar.

Moonshine! The real stuff. Real as in untaxed.

You know how you have a few childhood memories that, for whatever reason, seem to stick in your mind?

One of them is when I was sick as a kid, lying on the couch, my hillbilly mom fixed me the universal mountain cure for anything that ails you: warmed up moonshine with a bit of sugar. I'll never forget that taste.

Another memory, I was a wee kid and my mom and her friend were at a shack of a house. They had come for some moonshine and the moonshiner had a gallon jug that was plugged up with a corncob that had been wrapped with a bit of cloth. He "uncorked" the jug and poured a quart of good moonshine into a quart jar.

So, I asked my friend if you could buy some taxed, legal moonshine these days. Sure enough. The local liquor store had a whole little section devoted to it.

I'll bringing back a jug.

Want a taste? Good stuff. Cures what ails you.

Hay

o

Life is good for Republicans on vacation.
Meanwhile, cut food stamps and welfare, extend the date for Social Security and Medicare to 70, 75 or maybe never.
Those dirty slovenly sloths, minorities, aged and disabled are taking our tax dollars and killing the economy. Just look at the lifestyle they have.
Oops, gotta make an international call my stock broker and see how my portfolio is doing.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 13:47

o

Hay, one of the great pleasures of traveling in foreign countries is sampling their beer. I know you appreciate that concept.

o

Hay, I always thought moonshine tasted yucky. Sure did the trick, though.

o

I also use Barilla brand pasta.
I dont have an Italian bone in my body ( heavily French, Scottish, English runs through my veins) - although I enjoy cooking, I'm by no means a great cook and would never be interested in making my own pasta - so when making a pasta dish, I always use that brand. I enjoy a great Italian dish but am not all that great at making them myself.

After reading the incredible statements made by the Chairman, Im done with that brand. Done.
Reading that bigoted, divisive statement gave me an late 80's/ early 90's flashback, I swear. That was the time I decided to be brave and begin to voice my own opinions regarding the serious issues of the rights denied to the American taxpaying gay citizens - thoughts expressed in my own very small circle of family and friends who saw the situation very differently from myself.
The chairman of this brand of pasta as well as his family have every right to voice their own opinions about the various gay issues of today and because they have a platform to have their voice heard all over the world, their voice is loud, strong and powerful.

My tiny platform containing my own private response to their statements will be to chose never to purchase any product the family can make even a single penny from for as long as I live. It is not much of a platform, the chairman will never feel it nor hear it - but it is the only platform I have and I will make full use of it.

So, if any of you great Italian cooks could direct me to a decent alternative prepared pasta on the market, I would appreciate it. I am not interested in making my own because I dont have the inclination to do so when I had a reasonable alternative - or the room to have racks of drying pasta out and in my way.

o

Ziti is ziti, I buy the cheapest on any given day...

o

Oh, my aching head!!!

Hay got a little drunk on this stuff Saturday night. Apple Pie packs a wallop down South.

I love that it came in a quart jar.

So, here I am outside Washington, D.C. I drove all day yesterday and got here just in time to go to a dance last night. My life really is just going from one dance to the next.

I've got a couple of days to kill til I meet up with a friend at the New Jersey shore. So, today I'm going to get on the Metro and head down to the sights in Washington, D.C. before they close down tomorrow.

"Those dirty slovenly sloths, minorities, aged and disabled are taking our tax dollars and killing the economy."

I've been thinking of myself as a Mini Roving Job Creator. Every day I'm pumping out that money to the economy. Doing way more than Obama and his stimulus plans. Paying the hotel staff to keep my room nice and clean, paying someone to make my continental breakfast each day, fixing my lunch. I probably keep one extra person employed each and every day. Obama should give me an award or something. I'm a very generous tipper, too. No tax dollars involved!!!!

Off to get my free continental breakfast. I peeked in to see what they have to offer. I was surprised, this far away from the South, to see not only "gravy" but GRITS too.

Doing my part to get this economy moving.

Hay

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 8:17

Sounds like everyone who traveled enjoyed themselves, without having to knock the poor in other countries :) Congrats on marriages and healing to all.

I had surgery for my summer vacation .... first time I have ever had surgery, and hopefully my last.

I spent the majority of my past vacations in Tennessee with relatives from my dad's side of the family (eastern TN) and later with DH's family (western TN). I will say my Aunties are responsible for teaching me how to cook/bake and his mom is a terrific cook.

o

I hope you are recovering well, ohiomom.

I was thinking of you last night--I'm at an anniversary date and it's tougher than usual this year, wondered at what point you were and how you were doing.

Glad you learned some good cooking skills.

Re the Barilla, that is the best dried pasta I have found and I use it. I will continue to use it--I'm not much into boycotts either way unless a company does something really egregious. If they're exercising their rights and have their opinions and still offer a good product I don't care, but it's everyone's personal right to do what they want.

I did buy a pasta machine last Christmas for a "house gift" (DH always bought me jewelry, a house gift, a useful gift, and a toy) and my older daughter and boyfriend, who is an excellent cook, made pasta. It attaches to the Kitchen Aid stand mixer.

Since I avoid wheat products and pasta these days I've just not had a reason to use it, but during the holidays I think we'll make homemade pasta again. Some years ago some company sold fresh pasta (that being relative) in clear packages and it was good--I bought it frequently. I do not recall seeing it in recent years, however.

Summer is over.

Maybe we need a thread on what we're doing this fall.

o

Barillo pasta is okay, I have never used it much because I use either DeCecco, or 365 organic pasta, both of which are imported from Italy.

I didn't have a summer vacation, per usual, and I think the last time I had a real summer vacation was just before my son turned 2 (he could still fly as a lap baby). Raised him alone for 19 years, and invariably all the vacation time at work had been used for school vacation weeks during the school year. So he went to daycare and then camp in the summer for years.

This summer was actually one of the saddest of my life, and it seems I'm often dealing with some major crappy situation in the summer - have no idea why that happens.

o

Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 11:02

Demi I had my surgery on my "anniversary" date, the kids were more freaked out then me. I told them I was not going into surgery alone :) I am doing very well, healed well and do not have to revisit the doc till next February and that is only because i agreed to participate in a clinical study.

We have Ohio City fresh pasta available here (Cleveland is a real foodie town although you wouldn't know it if you go by what the media says), to be honest I buy whatever is on sale and eat it only occasionally since I am also trying to cut back on wheat. I gave my pasta machine away years ago to a young couple.

Lately I have been enjoying the bounties (although it was a lousy growing season here) of summer and looking forward to the Fall harvest.

o

No Barilla for me. I have bought it in the past. These people who alienate whole groups of people with racist or biased comments always amaze me. I wouldn't set foot in a Chick fil a because of the crap that came out of the CEO's mouth. What possesses these people? Keep your freaking comments to yourself. Who even cares what you think ,but it will hurt you in the long run.

o

I, too, hope everything is good, Ohiomom...

I have never, and I hope I never have to go through any major surgery, myself. I'm not feeling too confident in the local medical industry...

o

Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 12:48

Jodi I felt the same way, but have to say I had a positive experience at Cleveland Clinic, the care/staff were great. For the clinical study I was not told which procedure was used, in the hope that it will benefit the health of women in the future. My youngest daughter could not believe I would have a "blind" study/surgery, but heck if it helps the women who come behind me, I am all for it. They will tell me at the end of the study exactly what they did :)

o

WOW Ohiomom that is a very brave choice....hats off to you. My 28 year old niece has stage 4 colon cancer . Her oncologists want her to take part in an experimental procedure.

My sister is saying no way unless they guarantee Kate is in the group actually getting the new drug. My niece has said she will participate in the trial no matter what. Like you, she says if it helps the next "Kate" then it's worth it. She's my hero.

As far as Barilla goes. It is my favourite dried pasta but I will not support attitudes like the President holds. Pasta is pasta...I'll live but I could not in good conscientious contribute to the profits of a company that voices the opinions he has.

Now I must admit I am not so righteous as to toss the 20 boxes I have stored in the pantry.....but the food bank will get some.

o

Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 15:35

Like you, she says if it helps the next "Kate" then it's worth it

......which is why I agreed to participate Chase, it is worth it when it is for women's health. The food bank will be delighted to take all twenty boxes :)

o

OM, our Thanksgiving is almost here. I contribute to the food bank all year long but always a bit more this time of year. I have so much to be thankful for.....

So the entire 20 boxes...actually I went back and counted and it's only 17 ...will go to the food bank along with 17 jars of sauce.

De Cecco is another amazing brand so no need to support homophobes ;)

This post was edited by chase on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 16:07

o

Guess I have to admit to being a peasant - I've got two boxes of pasta and they're both Creamette brand.

o

That's 2 more than I have, Duluth! What does that tell ya? ;-)

Very brave, indeed, Ohiomom...

This is why we travel to the big city, to known medical personnel, for anything... I just don't like the services down here. We've been forced to partake, and found it... very lacking.

o

I wasn't going for the number of boxes as being a measure of of... well, anything. I just figured the sophisticated palates here would walk on by the cheery green box that most Moms always seemed to have in the cupboard.

o

OM, glad to hear you are on the mend and feeling well now. Wishing you the best and kudos for doing what you did.

I agree with you about Cleveland being a foodies delight. Many great products and restaurants in that city. I have family there so get there fairly often and I have never been disappointed.

With hundreds of choices of dry pasta easily available, many as good if not better than Barilla, there is no good reason to buy it. He has every right to believe has he does and I have every right to not support his company by purchasing his products.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 18:03

o

Well, Duluth... once in a lifetime ago, when the kids were little, Creamette macaroni and other nifty shaped pastas were staple goods... but today, we're much more discerning eaters. ;-)

I will walk past any box of Barilla made... for the principle, alone.

o

I can't recall ever seeing a gay couple represented in a pasta commercial...or many commercials in general. Never saw a fat person on a Wheaties box or ugly kids in a juice box spot.

Branding goes on in boardrooms all the time, and gay folks, fat people and ugly kids are rejected as representing the brand routinely. Had the Barilla dude just ignored the question asked of him, we would have been none the wiser.

o

People are still b1tchin9 about that Cheerios ad with the interracial couple... I still see a comment now and then... I can't imagine how some folk would react to a same-sex couple hawking cereal with a little kid... though it's a mystery why anyone would balk at either scenario.

o

Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 18:45

I have family there so get there fairly often and I have never been disappointed.

......well the next time you visit my little city by the lake, be sure to stop in the 5th Street Arcade and visit Chocolate 76, shamelessly plugging my DD's new shop. Her handmade chocolates are to die for :) Six "suburban" restaurants are opening up new spots downtown, and Heinens (grocery store) is moving into a historical building on 9th and Euclid. Our downtown residency is growing.

o

Mmmmmmmmmm... chocolate....

o

......well the next time you visit my little city by the lake, be sure to stop in the 5th Street Arcade and visit Chocolate 76, shamelessly plugging my DD's new shop. Her handmade chocolates are to die for :)

You bet I will. Chocolate is one of my favorite words. :) I can never resist chocolate and I will be very happy to support a young, growing artisan producer. I will also tell my family who are also chocoholics. Will send an email to tell them and encourage them to tell friends.

When my family came to this country half settled in Ohio and the other half in NY so there are quite a few epi relations and their offspring in your area. I happen to like Cleveland and part of the reason is the good food.

I can't recall ever seeing a gay couple represented in a pasta commercial...or many commercials in general. Never saw a fat person on a Wheaties box or ugly kids in a juice box spot

Branding goes on in boardrooms all the time, and gay folks, fat people and ugly kids are rejected as representing the brand routinely.

Times are changing and some are changing with it and others aren't. There was a time we didn't see African-Americans or Asians or Hispanics in a commercial either but we do now. I have seen a few commercials with gay couples portrayed including the spots mentioned in my link.

You are broadbrushing Madison Avenue with ancient history. Over the years it has been changing and depending on the brand and the product we see more "average" Americans depicted than ever before because the ad companies realized that people wanted to see people that represented them, not just the ideal.

Bob Witeck, who consults for Fortune 100 companies on LGBT marketing and communications strategies, put the buying power of U.S. lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender adults at $790 billion last year. He estimated, roughly, the U.S. LGBT adult population at 16 million, though others say their ranks could be as many as 25 million.

"Things have changed significantly in terms of risk and reward," Witeck said. "Businesses don't view this as a risk model any longer."

Particularly, he said, when it comes to portraying marriage.

"Marriage, at one time, was the third rail," Witeck said. "That terrified companies. Most of this happened when the president said he supported marriage equality."

A consumer lust for "truth-telling" isn't lost on major advertisers, including those that once restricted themselves to trotting out gay-friendly fodder as one-offs when Pride Month and its multicolored flag flies freely each June. One recent pride standout in advertising, restricted to digital markets, is an Oreo cookie with a mountain of multicolored filling.

The company fielded queries from consumers who thought it was available for purchase in stores. It wasn't.

American Airlines, in 2010, ran outdoor advertising at bus stops and subway stations in New York showing two men on a beach with the slogan: "Here's to his and his beach towels.Proud to support the community that supports us."

Generally, Witeck said, putting a human face on gay couples and families in advertising is where much of the effort lands today.

"For the gay consumer and their families and friends, and lots and lots and lots of Americans, they expect to see those couples appear everywhere, but they don't want them trotted out with a pride flag," Witeck said. "Amazon didn't ballyhoo the message. They just landed it."

Mark Elderkin, CEO of the Gay Ad Network, which focuses on the LGBT niche market, said mainstream gay messaging has "passed the tipping point, where there's more to gain than there is to lose" for advertisers.

While there are groups of "vocal antagonists," he said more advertisers bolstered by broader media exposure for gay characters and storylines in non-ad content ��" "The New Normal," "Modern Family," "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," CNN's out-of-the-closet anchor Anderson Cooper ��" have explored non-traditional families and included LGBT imagery in "normal" settings.

"It seems to be moving quickly forward. It's companies that want to be more on the leading edge, more for the next generation of this country," Elderkin said. "It's not your parents' brand anymore. It's your brand and your kids' brand.".

As for this, it's a no-brainer.

Had the Barilla dude just ignored the question asked of him, we would have been none the wiser

But he did and we are now the wiser. We can all make our own informed choices. His words cost him quite a bit of revenue, not only by members of the LGBT community but their families and those of us that support their rights and choose to use one of the hundreds of other choices that are out there instead of their brand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gay-Themed Ads Are Becoming More Mainstream

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 19:14

o

Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 19:16

"It's not your parents' brand anymore. It's your brand and your kids' brand.".

AMEN sister!

o

"Obama should give me an award or something. I'm a very generous tipper, too. No tax dollars involved!!!!

I like my personal stimulus plan. Not only did it not cost the taxpayer any money, but there was no government bureaucracy to siphon off any of the money. I got to decide on an individual basis just exactly how I wanted my money spent. I didn't need some politician to decide it for me. Tax me less and I'll do even more.

Way to go, Hay.

Hay got to see about 20 or so more Monets yesterday. I went down to the National Gallery of Art. A very wonderful place to spend a day. Full of school kids learning about beautiful things.

Another case of private money doing wonderful things for other, less fortunate people.

Thank you, Rich People!

"The National Gallery of Art and its Sculpture Garden are a national art museum in Washington, D.C., located on the National Mall, between 3rd and 9th Streets, at Constitution Avenue NW. Open to the public and free of charge, the museum was privately established in 1937 for the people of the United States of America by a joint resolution of the United States Congress. Andrew W. Mellon donated a substantial art collection and funds for construction. The core collection also includes major works of art donated by Paul Mellon, Ailsa Mellon Bruce, Lessing J. Rosenwald, Samuel Henry Kress, Rush Harrison Kress, Peter Arrell Brown Widener, Joseph E. Widener, and Chester Dale. The Gallery's collection of paintings, drawings, prints, photographs, sculpture, medals, and decorative arts traces the development of Western Art from the Middle Ages to the present, including the only painting by Leonardo da Vinci in the Americas and the largest mobile ever created by Alexander Calder."

Room after room after room filled with the most beautiful collection of art. Little plaques just under them with words like "donated by..."

I've had a wonderful summer of seeing beautiful things in Art Museums. Thank you, rich people. You're long gone, but your good work and good deeds continue.

That was yesterday. I'd do it again, but it looks like our incompetent leaders in government are keeping me from doing that. Remind me again why you want to entrust more of your life to this crew.

Incompetent leaders elected by incompetent people. I was reading USA Today yesterday. Something like 20% of the people who elect our leaders think that the three branches of government are Democrats, Republicans and Independents. And, in 1987, something close to 50% of the population believed that Marx's, "From each according to his ability and to each according to his need", was written as part of our Constitution.

Remind me again why you want to let the government, elected by these people, to have even more control over your life.

Tomorrow I'll visit with a friend on the New Jersey shore and get home by Friday night, just in time to shower and head out to see my dancing friends. I miss them.

Time to get my free continental breakfast and check out the tourist brochures.

Helpful hint from Haylouise:

Stop at those State Welcome Centers when you travel and cross state lines. They have little booklets full of hotel/motel discount coupons which have saved me a lot of money. That's how I ended up here, Fairfax, just a short ride on the Metro to the Mall. You can go tell your elected officials just how you feel.

Not that it will do any good. I'd recommend a day at the National Gallery instead. Assuming it's open.

Hay

o

Another case of private money doing wonderful things for other, less fortunate people.

Hay, I don't want to interrupt your conversation with yourself since you seem to be enjoying your repartee but you seem to not realize that the NGA is funded and run with taxpayer money so if you are taxed less then they may have to close your newly found treasure and others like it.

Since they also count on contributions from people like you, do you plan on sending them a check in appreciation to help them keep the NGA going or are you going to rely on others to do so for you? If your check is large enough you can get your name on the wall for perpertuity and all to see how generous you are but your check will have to be quite large since they don't bestow that honor on just anyone.

Q: How is the National Gallery of Art funded?

A: The Gallery exists as a partnership between the federal government and the American people, as it has since opening its doors in 1941. The government provides a yearly appropriation for day-to-day operations, ensuring that the Gallery remains open to the public free of charge 363 days a year. Private support from generous individuals, foundations, and corporations allows the Gallery to acquire art to enhance the permanent collection, present special exhibitions from all over the world, support scholarly programs, sustain important education programs and activities, and advance conservation and research to preserve the collection.

Q: How do private donations support Gallery programs?

A: Private support from dedicated donors helps fulfill the Gallery’s mission of service to the nation through the acquisition of art to augment the permanent collection; the presentation of special exhibitions from all over the world; support for The Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts (CASVA) and its scholarly programs; funding the education department and its activities for Gallery visitors as well as students, teachers, and lovers of art across the country; the advancement of conservation and research to preserve the Gallery’s collection and works of art around the world; and programs to enhance the Gallery visitor’s experience such as films, concerts, and lectures.

For information about designating a gift for one of these areas, please complete the online contact form or call the Development Office at (202) 842-6372.

Q: Does the Gallery charge admission?

A: No. The Gallery is open to the public free of charge 363 days a year (it is closed on December 25 and January 1).

Q: Does the Gallery have an endowment that supports all its activities?

A: The Gallery does not have an operating endowment. We are grateful to the President and Congress for the crucial support through federal funds for the upkeep, administrative expenses, and costs of operations, including the protection of the works of art given to the nation, so that the Gallery can be open to the public at no charge.

Q: How do I contribute gifts of stock to the Gallery?

A: Please fill out the Gift of Stock form, or call the Development Office at (202) 842-6372.

Q: Can I make a gift anonymously?

A: Yes.

Q: Will the Gallery keep my information confidential?

A: Yes, the Gallery does not share donor information with other organizations. Additionally, donors may choose to remain anonymous for purposes of listing in Gallery publications.

Q: How will my gift be recognized?

A: Gifts of $1,000 or more are recognized in Gallery publications, including the Bulletin and Annual Report. Please contact the Development Office at (202) 842-6372 to inform us how you wish to be listed or if you prefer to remain anonymous.

Q: Can my employer match my contribution?

A: Yes, we welcome matching gifts from a donor’s employer. To do this online using a credit card, please complete the online Employer Matching Gift form and e-mail any additional paperwork to giving@nga.gov or mail to: Development Office, National Gallery of Art, 2000B South Club Drive, Landover MD 20785.

Q: Can I make a gift in honor or memory of a friend or loved one?

A: Yes. Please include the name and mailing address of the individual whom you wish to honor and we will be happy to notify that person of your gift (if applicable).

Q: Can I designate my gift to the Gallery for a particular use?

A: Yes. Please complete the online contact form or call (202) 842-6372 for further information on designating a gift for particular use.

Q: Can I use images of works in the Gallery’s collection in a non-Gallery publication?

A: Yes. More than 20,000 high-quality collection images in the public domain are available free of charge and can be downloaded quickly and easily in presentation and print-friendly formats. Please visit https://images.nga.gov for more information.

Q: Can I schedule a private tour of the Gallery?

A: The Gallery offers docent- and lecturer-led tours of the collection and exhibitions on a frequent basis. Information about those talks and tours is available here. In addition, the Development Office is always happy to work with Circle members and donors to arrange special Gallery tours.

Q: How can I obtain a copy of the Gallery’s Annual Report?

A: The Gallery’s most recent Annual Report and financial statement are available here on the Gallery’s website.

Q: I lost my tax acknowledgment. May I request a replacement?

A: Of course. Please call the Development Office at (202) 842-6372 and we will be happy to send you a copy of your tax acknowledgment.

Q: How do I leave something to the Gallery in my will?

A: Please consult the Planned Giving section of the Gallery’s web page to learn more about the options for making a bequest or some other form of legacy gift.

Q: Is it possible to give to the Gallery through the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC)?

A: Yes. The Gallery’s CFC number is 41971.

o

"Since they also count on contributions from people like you, do you plan on sending them a check in appreciation to help them keep the NGA going or are you going to rely on others to do so for you?"

Like moi? If they counted on people like me, they can just forget about opening back up. Hay's not wealthy, but my generous tips to the poor slobs out there that keep my bed made and keep me fed might help them not need any government help.

I also make a contribution by personally taking care of myself and my offspring. I actually pay taxes. Not much, but I pay. Leaves more money for the government to help fund the showing of these wonderful works of art.

No need to thank me. The warm feeling is enough for me.

"Hay, I don't want to interrupt your conversation with yourself since you seem to be enjoying your repartee but you seem to not realize that the NGA is funded and run with taxpayer money so if you are taxed less then they may have to close your newly found treasure and others like it."

Is funded and run with taxpayer money?

Those hundreds of kids I saw appreciate that I'm sure. They do indeed need a place to house this magnificent collection of art.

"Private donations, in any amount, help sustain the Gallery’s standard of excellence envisioned by our founder, Andrew W. Mellon, when he and his children built the National Gallery of Art. Their public-spirited philanthropy inspired other Benefactors to contribute their collections and private resources to the nation. The National Gallery, set up as public-private partnership, received a mandate that does not allow federal funds to be used for acquisitions or special exhibitions; these rely solely on private support. Major gifts, often made over several years or through estate gifts, allow the Gallery to acquire works of art, present special exhibitions, increase educational outreach, carry on scholarly research, and remain a leader in conservation science. Donors of these gifts---which may be unrestricted or designated for a particular purpose---are recognized at Gallery events and in publications."

Thank you, rich people. Not only do you pay the substantial part of the taxes that the government spends, including supporting the poor in this country, but you go beyond that and ensure that all of us, including thousands of kids, rich and poor, have a chance to see a great works of art by artists like da Vinci.

Some of us appreciate what you do.

Good point, Hay.

Oh, thanks, Hay. Glad you can see it. Some people don't seem to see it.

I know. Sometimes I think it's just you and me.

Night, Hay.

Night to you, too.

I had fun with you today going to the Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware and eating wonderful crabcakes on the way there, eating Brats and drinking beer and capping it off with some more crabcakes.

See you tomorrow. More good fun, you and me.

Hay

o

Ha. Glad you are enjoying yourself with yourself and I would venture a guess you haven't had a disagreement with Hay this entire trip. Nice to travel with someone you have so much in common with.

So, you are ok letting others pay for your enjoyment and not kicking in something to "pay it forward"? These "rich peoples" money is used to increase collections but the federal money ensures that the insitutions are open for you to visit and functioning for your enjoyment, an imporant part of the equation...no? So without the Government $ you wouldn't be able to get in.
The Gallery does not have an operating endowment. We are grateful to the President and Congress for the crucial support through federal funds for the upkeep, administrative expenses, and costs of operations, including the protection of the works of art given to the nation, so that the Gallery can be open to the public at no charge

Otherwise these priceless works of art would hang on walls not seen by anyone unless of course they charge you an admission fee like many others do. The rich people have their works of art hanging on the walls of other museums where it costs $25 to walk through the doors. Or if you are lucky enough you can view them on the walls of their homes if they decide to invite you to visit for tea or one of their black tie dinners since they would probably keep them on their living room walls if they weren't given some wonderful (government) tax write-offs for donating these fine works of art to museums and other insitutions instead of passing them down to their children.

When you get home and have some down time you may want to read some books on how and why some of these collections were created. Not all were done for altruistic reason, although many were. Lots of great books including a wonderful book on MOMA by Sybil Gordon Kantor and many by Thomas Hoving and others that give some facinating back stories to these collections and the collectors who donated these works to the institutions. And of course, the books about the benefactors themselves and how they amassed their collections. You might be interested in Alfred Barnes and his collection, he was an interesting curmudgeon, who you may relate to, who made his fortune with something akin to snake oil and created one of the best collections in the world and his reasons for creating a museum and how he did so and his stipulations/restrictions are very interesting. It's a long winter coming so perhaps between dances and museum visits you might want to pick up one of these books at your local library.

Happy travels and conversing with yourself.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 23:21

o

Sweet dreams, Hay.

o

"Sweet dreams, Hay."

We both had a wonderful night's sleep, thank you.

"Ha. Glad you are enjoying yourself with yourself and I would venture a guess you haven't had a disagreement with Hay this entire trip. Nice to travel with someone you have so much in common with."

There's definitely some disadvantages to living and traveling alone, but, if you can deal with that, there sure are wonderful advantages to living and traveling alone. Every day, in so many ways, I realize that.

"So, you are ok letting others pay for your enjoyment and not kicking in something to "pay it forward"? These "rich peoples" money is used to increase collections but the federal money ensures that the insitutions are open for you to visit and functioning for your enjoyment, an imporant part of the equation...no? So without the Government $ you wouldn't be able to get in."

"...ensures that the insitutions are open for you to visit and functioning for your enjoyment,..." Yes, and, as always, the government is doing a great job with that.

"Or if you are lucky enough you can view them on the walls of their homes if they decide to invite you to visit for tea or one of their black tie dinners since they would probably keep them on their living room walls if they weren't given some wonderful (government) tax write-offs for donating these fine works of art to museums and other insitutions instead of passing them down to their children."

Always looking for the negative? I was taking pictures and a guard told me that I couldn't take a picture of one painting in the room. Huh? On the little plaque below the picture, it asked that pictures of this piece not be taken. The rich, anonymous person who had lent it to the museum had requested that.

"Not all were done for altruistic reason, although many were."

They can't take all that art with them when they leave this good earth. Rich people leave a lot of good behind when they go. Altruistic or not.

Hay, on the road again. Heading north.

I'll be out of touch for a few days.

Have fun bashing the rich. Enjoy what they do for you.

Hay and Hay

o

Hay, on the road again. Heading north.

I'll be out of touch for a few days.

Have fun bashing the rich. Enjoy what they do for you.

Love it, Hay!
You have your priorities straight.

Safe and happy travels.

o

Hay, good for you but you have made many assumptions in our post, some are not necessarily accurate. I find nothing wrong with traveling alone. I do it quite often for business and otherwise. What I don't do is talk about myself in the 3rd person or post to myself on message boards but to each his own.

There is no 'rich bashing" here. On the contrary.I am a supporter of the arts and culture and appreciate what many do including donors, some of which are my friends and family, but I am not blind to the many facets of insitutional giving and how the arts are funded and who/what supports them. Having art collectors, historians and donors in my own family I am well aware of the varied reasons people do what they do and their motivations.

They can't take all that art with them when they leave this good earth. Rich people leave a lot of good behind when they go. Altruistic or not

Rich most definitley do a lot of good and there are many wonderful people of wealth. No, they can't take it with them but they have other options, including leaving their art to their children. There are as many reasons to do things as there are people. Some choose to sell their art, others give it to their loved ones and others donate it during their lifetime and others after their death so many can enjoy it and they all do it differently. Some have agreements with museums that offer them the benefit that allow them to keep their art until they pass and they reap the rewards of beneficial tax strategies during their lifetimes while others give it away after death with other benefits. Others lend their art because they don't need to pay the insurance premiums or protecting the work in their homes. Others simply want others to be able to appreciate it. Then there are those that choose to open their own museums. You have people like Leonard Lauder who is amassing a collection with the intent to be given away to his museum of choice with some of his art in his home and other pieces are lent out and his brother Ronald chose to use some of his large collection to open the Neue. So many different people, so many options.

Always looking for the negative? I was taking pictures and a guard told me that I couldn't take a picture of one painting in the room. Huh? On the little plaque below the picture, it asked that pictures of this piece not be taken. The rich, anonymous person who had lent it to the museum had requested that

No negative here. Just reality. There are many possible reasons that you were prohibitied from photographing that particular piece. It could be to protect his investment but unless it is stipulated why you can only assume. There are many reasons but it's not limited to the donors wishes. It could be detrimental to the art itself, it could be a stipulation of the artist and governed by the artists foundation, exeutors of their estate, or whom ever is looking out for the interests of the artist/work of art. Flash can be detrimental to some mediums. Take the Last Supper for instance, only a certain number of people are allowed to view it a once because when the room is filled with people it changes the climate in the room which can destroy that fragile work of art. They have monitors in the room to keep an eye on the temperature and humidity and no photographs are allowed because it also can harm the work.

Happy travels and my best to Hay two/too.

o

You would think that one who appreciates and supports the arts and culture would have the ability to recognize and appreciate creative or alternative writing styles.

o

Huh weird. Hay enjoying something at least partially funded by the government. Who knew! Or maybe now that he knows that it won't be so enjoyable anymore.

I for one am very thankful I do not have to rely on hay's supposed generosity for my support.

Epi - your depth of knowledge on so many subjects has always impressed me.

o

Thanks Jill. Art and art history are among my passions. I studied it for many years and one of my degrees is in art history. I interned in several museums and spent time studying abroad as well as doing research for a book on the founding of MOMA that a relative wrote, and my father had a company related to art so I was weaned on it. I love the back stories of the artists, collectors, collections and institutions so I can't help but laugh when I read Hay's posts.

I am also a professional fundraiser so know something about how institutions like museums get their funding and the hoops they jump through for large donors and what lengths some go to acquire some works. Even though I don't raise money for museums any longer I know many that still do. It is a small world.

But I am not alone on this board when it comes to knowledge of art, JZ, Nancy and a few others are very well versed in this as well and I continue to learn more every day from them and others.

o

Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 18:02

Well, technically it was an Autumn Vacation but we just got back from a week at Cape Hatteras, perfect weather, almost hot, nice not to have hurricanes lurking about this time of year. Unfortunately the rental beach home had a pc and internet so you didn't get a vacation from me, nyuk, nyuk..

o

Cape Hatteras...love the seashore. I'll bet you had a wonderful time; hope so. And I hope you didn't take a peek at HT, Vgkg. ;-)

Demi: "Love it, Hay!
You have your priorities straight.

Safe and happy travels."

Ditto ;-)

o

And I hope you didn't take a peek at HT, Vgkg.

Hoot or in this case nyuk nyuk

I guess you missed this.. wheeeee

•Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 18:02

Unfortunately the rental beach home had a pc and internet so you didn't get a vacation from me, nyuk, nyuk..

A beautiful part of the country at a beautiful time of year. Glad you had a nice vacation, good weather and no hurricanes this year,

o

Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 10:29

Thx, it was good to get down there before it got too cool to enjoy the beach. Even the water temp was still warm enough to swim and the sand was actually hot on the feet for a couple of daze. A small piece of August in October. The cottage didn't openly advertize a pc w/web but we did use it to check emails, local restaurants, and of course come here to keep yawl straight, another nyuk nyuk on that...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here