RIP Gore Vidal

Posted by althea z4 MN (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 6:22

Day of mourning.

Here is a link that might be useful: nytimes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RIP Gore Vidal

An interesting guy who will be mourned by many...

o

Day of mourning.

For me as well.

o

A public figure with great talent leaving behind some very well written biographies of the founders and their times.

RIP Gore Vidal

o

Well Michelle Bachmann credits Burr with making her a Republican.

o

"It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail."

"The United States was founded by the brightest people in the country and we haven't seen them since."

"Fifty percent of people won't vote, and fifty percent don't read newspapers. I hope it's the same fifty percent."

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so."

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise."

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn."

Some things to remember!

o

Quite a controversial and interesting figure thru out his life. I've always enjoyed reading his works.

o

Hearing him work William F Buckley alone was worth it!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 0:12

>The United States was founded by the brightest people in the country and we haven't seen them since<

Ha ha-ha ha ha!

o

I was familiar with Gore Vidal's confrontations with William Buckley and Norman Mailer, but I didn't know about his put down of Charleston Heston's revisionist history of the shooting script for Ben Hur.

Enjoy!

Counterpunch: Gore Vidal responds to Charlton Heston

o

This is so touching:

Rock Creek Cemetery in Washington, DC

Vidal chose his grave (and his partners grave) to be near his childhood sweetheart, who died when they were young and he never got over.

Vidal had his reasons for choosing this spot, and for buying a plot in 1994 for Auster (who Vidal persuaded to change his surname to Austen, though his original surname is on the grave) and himself ahead of time.

Rock Creek Cemetery dates back to the early 1700s. Also interred there are Meet the Press's Tim Russert, the writer Upton Sinclair, historian Henry Adams, numerous politicians and both Revolutionary and Civil War veterans. It is also situated close to his grandparents' house, the scene of perhaps his fondest childhood memories.

However, perhaps most pertinently, near to Auster and Vidal's plot lies Jimmie Trimble, a schoolfriend and lover of Vidal's who died at the Battle of Iwo Jima. He was described by the New York Times as "the only person with whom [Vidal] ever felt wholeness."

Auster died in 2003; Vidal told CNN that he wanted to be cremated, and his ashes to be interred in the plot alongside Auster. "I'll be looking forward to seeing him," he said.

via huffington post

o

Gore Vidal�s new book is called "Imperial America: The United States of Amnesia."

RIP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here