Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What sport would you like to add or

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 6:24

subtract from the Olympics. I question whether ping pong and dressage, etc. are Olympic sports, but I would like to see women's roller derby added. How about you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What sport would you like to add or

I would take away water-polo and badminton (badminton, for chrissakes!) for sure. Really I don't feel like the ball sports generally have a proper place in the Olympics.

I think we can enjoy women's roller derby through other venues, aye?

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 9:41

Men's Field Hockey... out.

Quarters..... in.

o

"I would take away water-polo"

Water polo is rough business.

I would take away trampoline and rhythmic gymnastics (yeah, it is a sport). I would add a nice bar game like darts or shuffleboard.

o

This thread made it all the way to four posts w/o mentioning synchronized swimming? With all that hideous, waterproof makeup leaving a toxic slick on the water surface?

Competitive badminton is something different than the normal USA backyard BBQ version. Gets pretty brutal. Very popular in SE Asia.

My oldest DD played water polo in college - It takes a whole lot of stamina and strength. I don't even know how they pick the Olympic teams.

Fencing could go. I watched the gold medal match which lasted about 3 seconds.

And personally, I really dislike beach volleyball. Regular volleyball, fine. But the beach version is just an excuse to hawk sunglasses and swim wear.

o

Bring back Tug of War! It used to be one, believe it or not.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 11:04

How about taking the "professional athletes" out?

ducking and running :)

o

They wisely dropped croquet and power boating.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 11:34

Bass Fishing will be in eventually...
Probably poker as well....
Some form of NASCAR like racing...

Thumb Wrestling....
Extreme Accounting...
Competitive Bee Keeping...
Mud Karaoke...

Be nice if they brought back real boxing instead of whatever it is they do now...

o

If the Winter Olympics have snowboarding, shouldn't skateboarding have a place in the Summer?

I think NASCAR would be too much like the long gone Power Boating - only with more speed.

For obvious reasons, the Live Pigeon Shoot first appeared and disappeared in the 1900 Olympics. Nearly 300 birds in the race for gold were sacrificed for this.

o

shuffleboard!

o

I think debating to the death would make a great spectacle. You start with the usual verbal battle and if no resolution is arrived at you move on to a contest of choice and if the same result ensues there, then you move on again until eventually you get a definitive result. Certain rules should apply and men and women would compete in different sections, obviously.

o

Rock/paper/scissors?

I dunno... I quit watching Olympic sports long ago. I like full contact combat sports, like judo, boxing, mixed martial arts, Jiu Jitsu... and none of that lame boxing for points system. You win by KO, TKO, or submission!

o

I like rock climbing but choosing or building the course would be a bear for the host city.
Racquetball is another favorite, but spectators could only watch it on TV and the play is so quick that I doubt it would become a favorite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here