Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The F-bomb is now in the dictionary!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 6:24

Is this another sign of the decay of our culture? It is one thing to have ain 't but another thing to have the Bomb. Your thoughts would be appreciated and might actually be enjoyed by some...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The F-bomb is now in the dictionary!

What decay? And I think it's been listed for a while, no? Isn't it just another adverb or adjective, or something? ;-)

I don't really care what words a person uses in verbal description... as long as that person is decent on the inside, and a true friend... ya feel me? ;-)

My ears don't burn every time someone misses something from Miss Manner's Book of Whatever... I'm a modern Grandma.

o

Does this mean I can use it in srcabble play? I never use the word, but when the guys are working it is heard at times when walking by. Doesn't bother me, wasn't me that said it or was said to. On the other hand I am sick of it's constant use in movies.

o

"in olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking..." that songs 78 years old.

o

They are talking about the F-Bomb that is now in the dictionary. Not the F word, itself. F*CK is already in the dictionary

Sea

o

I'm so naive, I thought uck was the f-bomb. What is the bomb? :/

o

Ok... now I'm confused, too... f*ck has always been considered the "f bomb"... so what are we talking about, here?

o

The actual term "F-Bomb" is what is being added to the dictionary.

I would imagine the Bomb in F-Bomb means to drop the F word with all of it's shock value, depending on when, where, how and at whom it is used, I guess.. like a BOMB... to get your attention...exploding profanities. For instance when Melissa Leo accepted the Academy Award for best Supporting Actress she was said to have let loose the F-Bomb....used because it was Live TV (I think there was a couple second delay built in, not sure how that worked) was not expected, nor was/is it an accepted practice... you could hear the audience gasp. Not the place for it. So, I think the term F-Bomb is used when the F-uck word is used in a highly inappropriate way or venue. The key word is shock.. even though you hear swearing, including the F-word, all over the place there ARE still places you don't expect to hear it. Like on the Senate or House floor.

He was dropping F-Bombs left and right.

F-Bombs littered the space.

Leaving F-Bombs in her wake.

Just my take.

Sea

o

Many moons ago Kenneth Tynan the art critic was being interviewed live on the BBC. I can't remember the context but at a certain point Tynan said "I don't think anyone is shocked by the word **ck anymore" then all the studio lights went out and his microphone was switched off followed by a blank screen. We were shocked.

o

sorry seashellsandpearls but the Senate hasn't escaped
the F-Bomb either.

o

Also, the word, F*ck, wasn't always referred to as the F-Bomb...emphasis on Bomb. The term, F-Bomb had to be recognized as now being mainstream... common usage. The news article wasn't only about this term/word being added.. there were other newly recognized words added. Sexting, flexitarian, obesogenic, energy drink and life coach were the others.

This is what Merriam-Webster has to say about it. (a mixture of my words and theirs, not an actual copy/paste)

It was first used in 1988..then resurfaced in the late 90's... dropped out of sight, surfaced again, in a big way, when Cheney used it on the Senate floor...died back a bit, until used by Joe Biden on the Senate floor. Gaining usage ever since. And this only refers to being admitted to Merriam-Webster in print. Below, is MW definition.

Below is an actual copy/paste.

"It's a word that is very visually evocative. It's not just the F-word. It's F-bomb. You know that it's going to cause a lot of consternation and possible damage," she said.

Sea

o

"sorry seashellsandpearls but the Senate hasn't escaped
the F-Bomb either."

Which is, exactly, what I stated, leslie_gardener. I didn't say it wasn't ever used on the Senate floor... I said it wasn't EXPECTED to be used there.

You wouldn't EXPECT to hear it there, therefore when you did, it was an F-Bomb. There was a national gasp!

Sea

o

So when is it "expected"?! ;)

totally kidding

o

I you play Wordfeud instead of Words With Friends you can definitely use f*ck. They don't make any judgement calls in that game.

o

Ok... so it's actually the term "F-Bomb" that made into to the new dictionary.

The bomb, itself, has been around forever, and to my way of thinking, is not really a bomb... unless you drop it in a room full of people who would never expect, accept, or tolerate it.

Don't visit my house and expect a bomb free environment... we're just open and free with our vocab. Rude, crude and socially unacceptable to some, but very comfortable within our own habitat. ;-)

o

Indeed. So what's the problem? Me, I'll take up front over shallow, deceptive artificial manners, anytime.

Form follows function. And not the other way around.

o

Indeed, Maddie.... indeed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here