Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Teabaggers Are Going Back To Their Good Old Times.

Posted by maddie_athome (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 6:41

They are showing their true colours.

UNC PROFESSOR CONFIRMS KOCH BROTHERS MONEY FUELED 2009 WAKE SCHOOL BOARD RACE

A controversial new eleven-minute video titled, "Why the Koch Brothers Want To End Public Education," produced by Robert Greenwald for Brave New Films, alleges that Koch brothers dollars indeed helped to fuel 2009 Wake School Board Republican candidates John Tedesco; Deborah Pickett; Debra Goldman and Charles Malone.

The goal was resegregating Wake Public Schools, increasing the number of high poverty schools after dismantling the system's socioeconomic diversity policy, and ultimately privatizing the school system once the white population deserted it.

Their actions are not limited to North Carolina, similar rackets are underway across the States.

Footnote:

"The Koch Bros., et. al. and their allies are also funding the campaign of local black serial candidate for public office, Venita Peyton, who was put in the race against [Democratic incumbent] Keith Sutton in order to dilute efforts to upend the Republican majority,"

Peyton already has the endorsement of the Wake County Republican Party, and is likely to get other conservative thumbs up.

Clever move that.

There's always one who's willing to sell their soul and integrity.

Thom Hartmann & Robert Greenwald have more:

Here is a link that might be useful: Whites Only.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Teabaggers Are Going Back To Their Good Old Times.

Seems like the Klan is rising up again under the Koch banner...

o

I, for one, am not liking this push toward repeating history. I'm not liking the regression I'm witnessing within the bigger picture.

If we're not careful, people, we're going to end up a very unhappy society under theocratic, feudal rule.

And now... the silence will gather...

o

Jodi, we're almost there. Too bad most of those being manipulated don't see until after putting the swindlers in office that there's no much in it for them, except more entrenched serfdom, once the regressives gain complete control.

o

The activities described below reflect what happens when wealth is concentrated in fewer and fewer hands, and brings up the question if these activities are subverting our democracy. We need an informed public, not a public subjected to propaganda as if candidates and issue campaigns were products to be marketed to gullible buyers - and with no consumer protections.

From the first link:

According to an August 2010 New York Times expose titled, "The Billionaires Bankrolling the Tea Party," then Times columnist Frank Rich wrote, "...his campaign called for the abolition not just of Social Security, federal regulatory agencies and welfare but also of the F.B.I., the C.I.A., and public schools - in other words, any government enterprise that would either inhibit his business profits or increase his taxes."

Last February, US News and World Report writer Peter Fenn wrote, "They funnel money through 501c3 tax-exempt foundations, and they give money to other foundations, lobbying organizations, and right wing think tanks. They have PACs; they support candidates. Only a small portion of what they control do they divulge."

Fenn continued, "...the Koch brothers have personally given over $2 million to candidates over the last 12 years, their PAC has contributed $8 million to candidates, and they have spent $50 million on lobbying."

o

An educated people pose a direct threat to the numbers of their 'natural constituency'.

o

Do people really vote based on good looks or Hollywood-like popularity? Does anyone really research the candidates they vote for to ensure their best interests are reflected? Or are we really getting all these horrid representatives through a faulty and unfair voting system?

It amazes me that people would actually vote for someone who did not have the best interests of the people in mind... but the role call of our elected officials does not lie.

Or... are there truly that many Caucasians out there so fully bigoted that they want segregation again?

o

Jodi, I think TPers are motivated by a lot of things, anti-tax, pro-Christianity fundiamentalism, NRA, racism, homophobia, and a lot of other conservative buzz-words. The Koch bros et al are expert at inciting their base to gain control for unfettered business benefiting themselves but not the base.

maddie's and Nancy's references are on-target but not new.

From wiki on the TP:

"Koch Industry influence
Main article: Political activities of the Koch family
In an August 30, 2010, article in The New Yorker, Jane Mayer said that the billionaire brothers David H. Koch and Charles G. Koch and Koch Industries are providing financial and organizational support to the Tea Party movement through Americans for Prosperity, which David founded.[118][119] The AFP's "Hot Air Tour" was organized to fight against taxes on carbon use and the activation of a cap and trade program.[120] In 1984, David Koch also founded Citizens for a Sound Economy,[121] part of which became FreedomWorks in a 2004 split,[undue weight?] another group that organized and supports the movement.[122] Koch Industries issued a press release stating that the Kochs have "no ties to and have never given money to FreedomWorks".[123] Former ambassador Christopher Meyer writes in the Daily Mail that the Tea Party movement is a mix of "grassroots populism, professional conservative politics, and big money", the last supplied in part by Charles and David Koch.[124] Jane Mayer says that the Koch brothers' political involvement with the Tea Party has been so secretive that she labels it "covert".[125]"

The very foundations of our democracy are indeed under siege, and have been for decades. It's now getting to the critical point due to a confluence of forces, largely economic (and those have been orchestrated somewhat) but also the concerted attacks and degradation of educational systems that has been underway since Brown v Bd of Ed.

There are a lot of Ammies who don't understand what's unravelling the country or the stakes at risk, and are worried about a lot of real issues that they feel threaten their lifestyle or values. There are a lot of people from all walks who aren't equipped to evaluate the candidate's positions or don't spend time thinking through the issues and vote based on visceral reactions, or looks, or generational affiliations, etc. Then there are those who know exactly what the TP candidate represents and can't wait to vote, but I think those are likely 30% or less of those identifying with the TP.

o

If only the tea partiers could see how they are being "played" by people like the Kochs - people that could care LESS about the welfare of those being played.

o

Free bus trip whoo hoo!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 0:43

Just for the record, the expression is "could not care less".

o

Thanks, bboy, you're right.

o

I'm not that highly educated, myself, but it doesn't take a college level education or degree in anything to notice when you're being made a fool of... and it's not just the Tea Party members that are being taken for fools... it's a large majority of us! We're being played for the financial interests of a very few.

I find it incredibly frustrating that so many people can't see beyond the thin veneer thrown at us through a biased media... that each individual fear or dislike is being played up, grouped together to gain more support... so that regardless which bogeyman you're afraid of, they're all represented. In this case, it's the age old prejudice against blacks.

It's disgusting to know that these few find nothing beneath them when it comes to getting what they want... which is an unfettered path to power and wealth at the expense of anyone and everyone.

o

You'd think people might boycott their business interests...

o

Thank you for the Greenwald interview.
The Libertarian anti-government ideology that Greenwald and Hartmann discuss near the end of the interview explains why Ron Paul is quite comfortable within the GOP and why the GOP in turn, is comfortable having Ron and Rand in their fold.

There is a synergy to all of it for the Kochs, the Libertarians, and the GOP Southern Strategy renewal movement. Their efforts to trash public school teachers through union busting and to cut funding for public schools in favor of vouchers, serves various purposes. For the wealthiest like the Koch's. less money spent on public employees including teachers means less taxes and more deflation. The dollar is worth more and the wealthiest 5% have most of them. That also depresses the economy, meaning they have a better shot at beating Obama and taking control of the Senate as well as the House.
School vouchers then help to privatize education. In most areas the schools that get those vouchers are parochial schools. That is a round about way of getting tax payer funding for parochial schools who can operate outside many of the requirements for our public institutions. They can teach Creationism without any legal challenge. They can accept or reject any student for any reason or for no reason. They can reinvigorate segregation through privatization -
just like Ron and Rand Paul apparently would like to see happen.
Yes, it all fits in now doesn't it? Kill the Unions, diss public education, cut wages for the working class, demonize every public institution and social program, and bring the economy down and Obama with it.
Citizen's United erases some of their tracks, but we can hear that train a comin'.

o

Bingo!

o

heri, you said it -- and I agree.

And remember that those social programs they want to get rid of include Social Security. After all, the rich don't need it. That is all that matters.

Kate

o

No, you should privatize SS so smart, self-sufficient people can invest in the market 100% or put the $$ under their mattresses of whatever, rather than the measly 6.2% set aside by FICA SS withholdings and backed by low paying gov't treasury notes which force people to have a margin of security in retirement.

The synergy Heri outlines is undermining our country while some idly watch.

"it is apparent from Koch Industries' vision and the diversity of its busniesses that we view ourselves as bounded by capabilities, rather than industries or products." Charles G. Koch

To which we can add "and hampered by regulations, and barely suffer the fools we we depend on to work our industries and buy our goods."

wiki:
"(C) Koch provides financial support for a number of libertarian organisations, including the Institute for Humane Studies and the Mercatus Center at George Mason University. He also co-founded the Cato Institute."

Although they try to keep a low political profile and manage to do so with alarming alacrity by changes to campaign financing laws, they have been allies of the ill-named "moral majority" since at least the Carter days, and actively working to take the nation back to the era which led up to the Great Depression. So far, their plan is working, sad to say.

Trust me that this is not just an effort to suppress African American rights, though that's an easy and obvious target. Look in the mirror, folks, if you're not one of their Libertarian fold, they'll target you too. Almost scares you into thinking maybe you better be on their side, doesn't it. Poor saps. Forget the democratic principles you may have learned in school and pledge allegiance to the way this country should be run as defined by them. States right are essential to circumventing troublesome federal oversight. Don't pay a penny more in taxes, but hope you don't need FEMA or protection by any federal agency. Ecology, schomolgy. We need to rape the earth to access essentials for our lifestyles. Consequences be dmned. No need for federal guidelines protecting minority rights, and forget that those rights excluded women less than 100 years ago as we have no interest on taking those away, but some others ... Libertarianism has some appeal, but you won't be able to pick and choose those efforts which you support w/o expecting the full Cato package.

Problem with this Libertarian approach, while it gains short-term bennies for them, what will they do when there's no one able to continue to consume their goods or well educated enough to maintain our penchant for innovations. Much of the remarkable innovations didn't come out of the elite class, rather it was the working class responsible for developing lots of the creature comforts you enjoy. I'm all for a well-educated elite, but I'm more strongly supportive of the need for a well-educated democratic (that's little "d", darlins') mass.

You really don't have to worry, as their plan is, as it has always been, to just slightly manipulate the economy to put the right players in office. Just hadn't counted on those silly deregulated regs they love to promote, like the ones on financial instruments, causing a global meltdown. They and their cronies are not good, moral people.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cato Institute

o

Thank you Heri for summing it up.

The synergy Heri outlines is undermining our country while some idly watch cheer them on.

There, fixed that for you.

Plus, they get their segregation back. Nice bonus that.

o
Oops

Thnx, maddie!!! ;)

o

Waiting for Le Outrage....well, not really.

Segregation is fine and dandy.

o

Well, at least if it's silent, we'll be able to hear that proverbial train a comin' Heri mentions... not that it'll matter much...

o

LOL, why in the world would there be outrage. It just proves the point that Tea Party members are better educated. I can't imagine that they would fall for this democratic clap trap boogie man talking points.

o

No, Mrs. K, it proves they are either unable to synthesize and so the opposite of your statement is true; or they're sleazy, unethical and willing to see money exchanged for a political gain at the expense of fundamental democratic (little d) principles; or they're in agreement with a libertarian agenda that includes racist and other neanderthal ideas that don't serve our nation well. The silence suggests many possible explanations, but TPers being "better educated" is not one of them.

o

Mrs, given Maddie and Jodi were referring to the silence on this forum, you must be referring to the Tea Party members on this forum.

First I've heard anyone, other than Dan, fess up to that. I congratulate you.

o

Educated? Yeah. Right.

The synergy Heri outlines is undermining our country while some idly watch silently cheer them on.

Fixing my fixing there. Carry on...

o

"The silence suggests many possible explanations, but TPers being "better educated" is not one of them."

Concur wholeheartedly, Abundant... the silence is more indicative of ignorance and/or agreement, in my opinion.

o

The message I hear is "take down the other party, take down the President, obstruct anything they try to do (even if it is helpful in economic recovery or saving a few lives) and if there are any American casualties in the process (including the economy), it doesn't matter because WE WON. Oh, and say you're doing this in the name of Patriotism and smaller gov't, but really we're doing it for us."

The Republican mantra - win at all costs. They are the bullies from the playground, all grown up.

o

The Republican mantra - win at all costs.

And if you don't, make the country ungovernable.

o

Thnx, maddie, for correctly fine tuning my point!! You're absolutely right unfortunately. Sad.

o

lol chase, nope, not a Tea Party member. Just able to see that they are the new blame everything the dems can't get done fall guys. The talking heads could at least be a little more diverse.

And jodik, as has been posted before, the Tea Party members are better educated than the norm.

o

AB yers welcome!

Though segregation has been outlawed for decades, in reality it never stopped--naturally, they found ways to get around this ruling (segregation by any other name). The MO is changing now, no more stealth mode, they're doing it in the open. Not only in North Carolina but allover the southern states.

It's also but the tip of the iceberg re their war on education.

o

make the country ungovernable.

They're having great success with the ungovernability, but poll numbers are crashing. Let's hope the public stays alert.

o

"Seems like the Klan is rising up again under the Koch banner..."

They've been stealthily working hard at this since the 1970's. They've just figured out who to do so without wearing sheets, though they had hope that no one would notice.

Vigilance is required, I agree, Nancy.

o

Tea Party people better educated than the norm? I almost spilled my coffee. Then why do they have an approval rating of 23%? Most are uneducated boobs who follow the rantings on Faux and idolize Bachmann and Palin. Now how well educated would you need be if these two plus Perry were your candidates of choice?

o

You guys know what TEABAGGER stands for?

Totally Enraged About Blacks And Gays Getting Equal Rights

o

You nailed it, hg!

o

It's an unfortunate thing, but I have to agree with HG and AB. And I stand by my earlier assessment that the silence is indicative of ignorance and/or agreement.

Just how intelligent DO you have to be to continually hang on the biased fallacies thrown out by Fox network news, not realize what they "report" is not much more than biased fallacy, and consider the majority of potential Republican candidates as logical choices to forward our nation? Good grief! If this is the best and brightest that the GOP can come up with, we're in a whole lot of trouble as a free nation!

o

Of the Repub candidates that may have smarts, they still pander to a stupid base rather than their principles.

o

they still pander to a stupid base

I wouldn't call these people stupid. They have every right to be angry - more of us should be angry. What is disturbing is that much of what's being offered by the TP/GOP appeals to our basest instincts. Those without sufficient information, or experience, or education, or whatever to analyze our current situation - and it does become complicated in an era of the global economy, shifting foreign alliances, and resource competition - can be easily swayed. (Not everyone is a political junkie.) The other component is those who support the TP/GOP for religious/culture-war reasons, and aren't much concerned with the implications of other parts of the TP/GOP plans for the country. Not necessarily stupid, but with different priorities than those you or I might value.

o

Excellent points, Nancy.

o

Thank you for much of what you say nancy. For those people who are engaged, stupid is not a word I would use for any party. For the same reason many of you could never support the GOP, religious/culture. Many of us could not support the democrat party over fiscal policies. So rarely in the public at large is it simply either or. I don't support the republicans social policies, least of all the Tea Party. But mostly I can ignore that because what affects me and mine is fiscal policy. Dems on the other hand see fiscal policies totally different than I do. I would love to see a candidate who encompassed the best of both, but what is the best of both for me, still might be different than the best of both for you. I think about the only thing we can agree on, is we all want what is best for the country, we just can't agree on how we get there.

o

nancy: "Those without sufficient information, or experience, or education, or whatever to analyze our current situation"

Stupid can be offensive but that does not negate it's applicability, on grumpier days I might call them worse. I agree there are valid reasons for most Americans to be angry unless you're at the very tiptop still raking in bundles, but to "be easily swayed" by the TP/GOP's appeal "to our basest instincts" is stupid IMO.

We agree, you're just using less offensive language. I went for shorthand as I've written litanies on the causes and frustrations and the entities behind the movement in the last few days. Being nice is always a worthy goal, but sometimes niceness gets steamrolled.

You can correct what I wrote to

"Of the Repub candidates that may have smarts, they still pander to a base unable to analyze our situation, rather than sticking to their principles." ;)

o
Dems econ record

Missed your last post, Mrs K, while responding to Nancy.

If you are against Repub social policies and are fiscally conservative, you may still find your place in the "Big Tent" once again if you're open to learning facts about how the nation's economic health fares under Dems v Repubs. The #s don't lie.

o

I agree, Nancy... and it's a shame those priorities have to do with religious morals or beliefs, personal prejudices, and other things that really don't amount to a hill of beans within the larger picture of our global economy and what's happening within our nation.

All we keep hearing are the same talking points, and we keep having the same bogeymen thrust at us... terrorists, Muslims, racial discontent, illegal immigrants, abortion, etc... and quite a few of these issues are meaningless in the larger picture. To use the issues as divisive points in a political game is... well... pointless in the larger picture.

The last thing we need are segregated schools... yet, there it is... welcome to the dark ages... no pun intended.

o
@@@@@RE: Teabaggers Are Going Back To Their Good Old Times.

ab, I was a democrat most of my life. I vote in every election, be it local, state, or federal. I try to always make an informed decision, and I still vote democrat often on local or state ballots, democrats in the south tend to be more conservative. And though I would never rule out voting for a democrat on the national level, I'm quite sure our "facts" won't jive. The last democrat I voted for as president was Jimmy Carter.

o

Many of us could not support the democrat party over fiscal policies.

This is precisely where I think lack of information, or not having access to differing opinions, or sufficient knowledge enters the picture.

The policies that the GOP endorses have been/will be disastrous for the national economy. This has been proven time and again. Trickle-down is a myth. Tax cuts to the wealthy didn't create jobs. Deregulation has delivered some astounding disasters and higher prices. Alan Greenspan - the free market guru - was disastrous for the county. Imitating Herbert Hoover will only prolong and deepen the recession. And yet there's still support for more of these awful proposals. We're staring disaster capitalism in the face.

And it doesn't matter how many graphs, or how many statistics, or how many articles by Nobel-laureate economists are posted - Stiglitz and Krugman - saying that the GOP's plans are economic disasters waiting to happen; nothing changes in the demonization of mildly left-of-center solutions to the recession.

That is what's frustrating for those of us (centrists, independents, slightly to moderately to firmly left-of-center types) who are opposed to the GOP's draconian proposals. The GOP's economic plan is more akin to religion - faith based - than fact-based policy. Equally enraging are those who know that it's hokum and will not help the unemployed and marginally employed, but continue to bray their support because they will personally profit.

And if I hear one more false, trite, and breathtakingly wrong-headed analogy of the nation's economy to a household budget, I will faint from frustration.

o

I second Nancy's post, and AB's follow up.

As Dan keeps saying, they are pandering to the base i.e. the bottom of the barrel. Fiscal conservative is a mere myth. They don't mind spending and wasting, so long as the money ends up in their loopholed pockets.

I find it appalling to put profits before people. Human rights are not negotiable.

o

And how did voting for Bush work out for you mrsk ?Maybe you dislike Obama, but what was your problem with Gore and Kerry..at least in comparison with Bush?

o

we all want what is best for the country, we just can't agree on how we get there.

Or is it that we can't agree on what is best for the country?

o
well RE: Teabaggers Are Going Back To Their Good Old Times.

For one thing lily, I think Gore is a fruitcake. Kerry, not so much, I thought the dems could have done better though. Then the repubs could have done better as well. And voting for Bush worked out about as well as voting for Carter.

o
Oh, those grumpy days of late summer...

on grumpier days I might call them worse

On my grumpy days I routinely call myself worse names than stupid! ;-)

o

Welcome back Mrs.......hope you stay awhile.

o
RE: ...Teabaggers Are Going Back To Their Good Old Times.

And it doesn't matter how many graphs, or how many statistics, or how many articles by Nobel-laureate economists are posted - Stiglitz and Krugman - saying that the GOP's plans are economic disasters waiting to happen; nothing changes in the demonization of mildly left-of-center solutions to the recession.

That is what's frustrating for those of us (centrists, independents, slightly to moderately to firmly left-of-center types) who are opposed to the GOP's draconian proposals. The GOP's economic plan is more akin to religion - faith based - than fact-based policy. Equally enraging are those who know that it's hokum and will not help the unemployed and marginally employed, but continue to bray their support because they will personally profit.

Worth repeating.

Note the silence on the segregation.

o

"Kerry not so much" but YET you still voted for the worst president this country has EVER seen. Most polls blame Bush for this mess we're in...and I saw this on FOX while at the gym last night..and OReilly's show to boot. Something like 53% blame Bush 32 % Obama.

o

maddie, you mean silence about the TP's social engineering agenda hurting civil rights gains since 1954 as explained in this Washington Post article?

"But over the past year, a new majority-Republican school board backed by national tea party conservatives has set the district on a strikingly different course. Pledging to "say no to the social engineers!" it has abolished the policy behind one of the nation's most celebrated integration efforts.

And as the board moves toward a system in which students attend neighborhood schools, some members are embracing the provocative idea that concentrating poor children, who are usually minorities, in a few schools could have merits - logic that critics are blasting as a 21st-century case for segregation.

The situation unfolding here in some ways represents a first foray of tea party conservatives into the business of shaping a public school system, and it has made Wake County the center of a fierce debate over the principle first enshrined in the Supreme Court's 1954 decision in Brown v. Board of Education: that diversity and quality education go hand in hand."

I can't understand why good Americans are so quiet either. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Wash Post NC Tea Party Abolishes Deseg

o

* Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 13:37

Tea Party people better educated than the norm? I almost spilled my coffee. Then why do they have an approval rating of 23%?

I could ask the same question about Obama--if he is so educated why does he have an approval rate in the 30s?
If the answer to our problems is electing educated leaders we would be out of the woods by now.

I think what the Tea Party knows, and what the rest of American is coming to realize, is that it is quite obvious that "Brains Obama" is a colossal failure as a leader.

What this country needs is someone with a spine.

o
?? maddie, WP article

maddie: "Worth repeating.

Note the DEFLECTIONS BUT CONTINUED silence on the segregation."

maddie, does that work for you?

o

When all else fails, including Obama, play the race card!! Problem is, nobody is listening, it's just not getting any traction. But carry on with your civil discussion!

o

What this country needs is someone with a spine.

What this country needs are people who care more about doing what is right for this country than wanting Obama to fail.

As others have pointed out over and over again S&P made it very clear in their findings when they lowered our rating.

It is clear that few in the GOP or the TP have the best interests of the US at heart and are chomping at the bit to "prove" that Obama is wrong at any cost. We see examples here on HT as well. That is the sad reality.

o

NO one has to prove Obama is wrong.

Obama's doing a great job of that himself.

However, the left is having problems acknowledging that FACT.

o

I keep hearing about the silence on this thread. Just wondering how many opened the thread about the 535 million given to Solyndra, talk about silence!

o

However, the left is having problems acknowledging that FACT.

I have to disagree with that. There are several topics on the board right now (the one about smog, the Obama assessment just to name the first two I see) where "the left" leaning people are expressing their disappointment with various Obama decisions/actions. On the smog one, however, I see no "conservatives" bemoaning the fact that the stricter smog regulations got tossed in favor of the wishes of the lobbyists and the GOP. With the exception of mrskjun's and demi's occasional comments about the TP (which you don't support, I know), I see no other conservatives on this board criticizing what the GOP's actions do for this country.

o

esh, could be cause there are so few conservatives on this board.

o
Teabaggers Social Agenda

MrsK, reading some of the other threads, there seems to be quite a few conservatives. Just silent on this uncomfortable subject. More likely it's that the unpleasant reality makes them squirmish. No problem.

o

Even when actual facts are paraded in front of them, and fallacious information debunked... it just doesn't get any more bizarre.

o

AB--finetune away! The continuing silence on the segregation speaks volumes.

Now, the two major players in North Carolina's teabagger mob are Robert Luddy and Art Pope:

Note that this link is from 2007:

Businessman Plans Chain of Private Schools

Raleigh, N.C. -- Wake County commissioners agreed Monday to lobby state lawmakers for more charter schools after a local businessman presented his plans to open two dozen private schools in the area over the next decade.

Robert Luddy said his chain of private schools would be modeled on his popular Franklin Academy charter school in Wake Forest. He recently opened his first private school, Thales Academy, off Capital Boulevard in north Raleigh.

Class sizes at Thales Academy and his other private schools would be kept at about 20 students, and each school would have fewer than 450 students overall, Luddy said. The tuition at Thales is about $5,000 a year, but he said the price is worth paying to avoid Wake County's overcrowded and overburdened public school system.

a.) Luddy is behind the Wake County's "new" schoolboard majority, that explains the *overcrowded* and *overburdened* parts - ye olde creating facts on the ground, anyone?

b.) You do the math.

Southern Studies has a ton of info on Art Pope:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pay To Play, NC Edition.

o

maddie, there's a bit of dust up over in the New Civility thread that you may find humorous. I have nothing more to add to it, but it is pretty funny. Opinion. ;)

Social engineering by regressives = threat to civil rights. Opinion. Mine. I own it and will continue to sound the alert. Fact. ;)

Too bad it's a stealth issue. Fact and Opinion ;)

Vigilance.

o

For those that avoid links, here's some background on the resegregation and Art Pope - the Koch Bros. and TP connected NC conservative responsible for the current situation: N.C. school board engineered by conservative benefactor draws civil rights scrutiny

Representatives of the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights met with school board chairman Ron Margiotta and others in Raleigh, N.C. on Dec. 7 to discuss the scope of their investigation into a complaint filed by the North Carolina chapter of the NAACP. The complaint came in response to a decision earlier this year by the recently-elected Republican majority on the officially nonpartisan board to eliminate a decade-old policy considering socioeconomic diversity in student assignments -- an approach that has been lauded for preventing the sort of urban-suburban educational disparities that have plagued other communities.

Instead, the board has called for a return to "neighborhood schools" while condemning "forced busing" and "social engineering" -- terms that the NAACP notes were used by pro-segregationists in the wake of the Supreme Court's 1954 Brown v. Board of Education decision.

The Wake schools controversy was also the topic of the NAACP education conference held in Raleigh earlier this month. The civil rights organization is also planning a march in Raleigh on Feb. 12 to protest the board's plans. Meanwhile, AdvancED -- the national group that accredits Wake schools -- is reviewing the board's effort to scrap the diversity policy.

The board recently considered a proposal that would have reassigned some 6,000 students -- most of whom live in urban and historically African-American Southeast Raleigh and are bused to largely white suburban schools -- back to their neighborhood schools. The NAACP and others have objected that the plan will create schools with high concentrations of poverty and a lack of racial diversity. [...]

o

"the plan will create schools with high concentrations of poverty and a lack of racial diversity."

Not all Ammies think this is bad. It's fine with some to confine the "problem element" to the ghettos. Frank implemented it in Warsaw. It's been the historical treatment, (once AAs were permitted to read) prior to deseg in the US, and those school budgets and resources reflect the tax base. Hard, but not impossible cycle for those with ambition, smarts and that good old "self-reliance" not to mention luck, to break out of and begin a better life away from crime and hazards associated with urban poverty. As a nation we had moved in recent decades a bit toward more equitable educational opportunities in the public school systems, but some would prefer a return to sub-standard separate and not quite equal. We get that.

o

I guess I just don't understand how any human being can think a difference in race, a difference in skin color and ethnic background, makes one less worthy than another... and that's what we're really talking about, economic factors aside.

I await the day when every human being is equally respected, regardless of physical and socioeconomic differences... but I'm not holding my breath. It's amazing to me that racial bigotry is still so much alive... and even more amazing is a renewed effort to separate society by race. Haven't most of the KKK mindset gone the way of old age? Or are some still pretending that their situations are the fault of the African American population?

o

I guess I just don't understand how any human being can think a difference in race, a difference in skin color and ethnic background, makes one less worthy than another... and that's what we're really talking about, economic factors aside.

We saw the movie The Help yesterday. There's some insight in there.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here