Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bloomberg tells moms to breastfeed

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 8:07

NY Mayor Michael Bloomberg has decided new moms should breastfeed. I think educating them is perfectly appropriate. I belive he has gone too far, though, by putting up barriers intended to complicate access to formula.

No means no. Once the new mother decides not to breasfeed,that should be the end of it, and there should be no consequences to her or hospital staff. But Bloomberg's interference means nurses will have to record a "medical reason" for giving out formula. What do you all think?

"Starting September 3, the city will start urging hospitals to keep infant formula in locked boxes or in out of the way, secure storerooms. Already New York has one of the most pro-breast milk policies in the nation. With a program called Latch On NYC, the mayor has convinced most of the city’s hospitals to stop giving out swag bags containing formula, and to have nurses record a medical reason for giving a baby a bottle. But this takes the policy one step further by sending the message that formula is like dangerous medicine, only to be dispensed in case of an emergency."

Here is a link that might be useful: Slate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bloomberg tells moms to breastfeed

It's nobody's business but Mom's. Agree education and encouragement are important. I wonder how he got the hospitals to go along with the "medical reason" part. After all it is there call.

o

"Latch On NYC" ... omg.

I think this is a bit drastic. I do remember the nurse offering to "handle" one (just one) middle of the night feeding to ensure the mother got an extra bit of rest in the hospital before going home. That seemed like a good thing.

o

Once again the media is taking a valid story and hyping it as far more draconian than the plan really is.

Going into effect on September 3, New York City's mayor will implement his voluntary Latch On NYC initiative in which infant formula will be kept locked away at hospitals to encourage breast-feeding for new mothers.

Many hospitals have already implemented the recommendations and the successful breast feeding of infants has gone up. With the additional education available to new mothers they are nursing longer also.

My personal belief is that all mothers should at least try knowing what we know now. To choose not to even try is selfish. Why wouldn't a woman want to nourish her child? But I'm biased having nursed my own and watching my own DD do the same with her 2 month old. No bottles ever if at all possible. However if she had to go to work she would pump. The thought of feeding formula never crossed her mind nor that of her many friends who have had babies this last year or so. Even the friend with a preemie who couldn't suckle at birth pumped and saved her milk. Despite the odds against her the child did end up being able to nurse at her breast. So I am definitely biased.

Here is a link that might be useful: Latch On Program

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 8:45

How dare they gubmint dictate what a woman can do with her body ! It is her "choice" what she does with her body, I agree with you Nik.

o

wildchild, no one said it wasn't voluntary. Obviously a woman can do whatever she wants once she walks out the door. Formula is still available in grocery stores.

o

Esh do you ever read the entire articles or just your favorite blogs?

The program itself is voluntary. The government is forcing no one to do anything. Not the hospitals nor the parents. Women can still choose to bottle feed. But there will be more help for the breast feeding mothers to succeed. No pre-filled bottle in the room for a tired mother to reach for in a moment of indecision and panic when her babe cries.
A single supplemental bottle for a newborn can sabotage the successful breast feeding. They even avoid giving bottles to preemies who cannot nurse. A bottle doesn't require the same "sucking" that a breast fed baby uses to get milk. Most well informed (about breast feeding) hospitals fed babes who are not yet ready to suckle at the breast their nourishment (preferably mother's milk) with droppers or even from small cups.

o

I don't have any favorite political blogs. In fact, heck with "favorite", I don't have any.

The program is voluntary, I agreed with that. But they are making it more difficult for those that choose to not participate to get formula while they are in the hospital for the birth.

From the OP:nurses will have to record a "medical reason" for giving out formula.

What is the "medical reason" for "mother chooses not the breastfeed"?

o

A medical reason could be as simple as the infant having difficulty latching on. It could mean the mother is recovering from a knock out birth or a c section. But the point is to encourage all new mothers to just try.

Despite the hype most women can successfully breast feed when given the proper tools and information.

I don't see the problem here. So many on this board claim to cringe at the word processed in their own food but are simply fine with infants being fed concoctions of powdered formula and water when nature has provided the perfect diet for them?

Having a baby is just not something you do for 9 months and get on with your life. It should be a commitment and part of that commitment should be 19 months gestation and another 6 months (at least) of nourishing outside the womb.
After solids are started is plenty of time to go to a bottle.

o

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for breastfeeding. Our first one breastfed for 6 months and the second one for 13 months.

But this strays into "choice" here and it shows the "government" being a bit heavy handed on a woman's right to choose.

o

I'm all for healthy and natural, myself... but limiting or making personal choices more difficult to achieve... especially for women... seems to be this year's theme.

Even though my personal choice would be to breastfeed were I a new mother, a good enough medical reason should be "because I don't want to, and I said no". I'm the patient, and it's my child... not Bloomberg's. I think this guy is starting to have illusions of grandeur.

o

Oh my. I said 19 months gestation. Huge typo.
Any how in looking around for the Seattle program I found this.

It seems the hospitals are not allowed to give formula to breast fed babies without a medical reason. Says nothing about mother's using formula without a medical reason.

I remember having to stop a nurse from giving my son a bottle of water in the hospital. With program I wouldn't have had to be as vigilant.

Since this is a CDC program being adopted across the country by hospitals I think Bloomberg is being given too much credit. He did not design the program, he merely wants it implemented in his city's hospitals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Baby Friendly Program

o

It is one of the great and completely unheralded engines of women�s liberation. Take away infant formula and the millions of women who fuel our economy would no longer be able to work, because American employers are certainly not going to pay them to stay home and breastfeed.

This article is ridiculous. Has the writer never heard of breast pumps and refrigerators?

I think the encouragement of breast feeding is a good idea and I don't see anything about the program that would curtail a woman's right to do what she wants.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 10:17

Well, at least Bloomberg didn't limit portions to C cup size.

badaboom....

o

When my youngest daughter was born, it took all of, oh, 5 minutes for the 'welcome' basket to show up in her room, with all kinds of Gerber products and formula and a big pink bow.

Hit 'em early with that choice: buy some likely toxic consumer products for the sake of convenience, I say.

o

I remember having to stop a nurse from giving my son a bottle of water in the hospital. With program I wouldn't have had to be as vigilant.

Are bottles of water locked up too?

o

This decision should be made months before delivery. It should be between the patient and her doctor and info should be provided at that time.

The hospital should not have any involvement of influencing what the woman and her doctor have decided.

o

"Are bottles of water locked up too?"

For breast fed babies they should be. I think you're just asking tongue in cheek. But seriously, failure to breast feed can hinge on something seemingly as benign as supplemental water. Of course these poor women will be told and simply believe they "didn't have enough milk".

No pacifiers, no bottles, feeding on demand.

Not enough milk?

Someone said your baby is nursing too frequently and is hungry all the time.

Someone said you need to supplement with water or your baby's kidneys won't function.

Someone said their baby slept through the night at 2 weeks.
You let your baby cry it out.

Someone said to give the baby just a little cereal so they will sleep better.

Someone said just do a bottle for tonight so you can go out.

Someone said daddy should get to feed the baby too.

Someone said your diet is causing baby's gas.

Someone said use a pacifier for soothing your infant. God forbid the child get soothed at your breast.

Someone said you should leave the room to breastfeed, it's disgusting after all.

Those someones could be a doctor, a nurse, a family member or a friend. Well intentioned but ignorant.

There are only two kinds of people in the world to listen to about breast feeding. Those who have done it for at least a year or a good lactation consultant.

That is why I support this movement. it's putting child and parent above all the someones who say....

o

When I was having my babies back in the 60s I was the only new mother breastfeeding. Everyone thought it was very strange and some even suggested it was abusive. There were several heated discussions with nurses who thought they were doing me a favor to give a bottle at night(I almost got mastitis)and a huge uproar when I refused medication that was supposed to stop lactation. Some of the words I heard were barbaric, primitive, ignorant and some were even worse.

On the other hand, there are legitimate reasons why some babies must be bottle fed. The tampering and counterfeiting of formula is tragic and can have lasting consequences for the child but a woman who is anemic, sick or stressed or simply cannot produce sufficient milk may very well not be able to nurse or nourish her child successfully. It should not be a moral, legal or political issue.

There are extremists on both sides of the issue. In the end, it depends on whether the child is thriving.

o

And I'm glad we've come so very far past that phase, sleepless. That was a dark time in maternal choices.

But we don't need to go so far that we can't support a woman's own choice for whatever reason she has.

And yes, women should be given plenty of information in advance of the birth about what breastfeeding is about and all the benefits. I wish 100% of women would choose it. But I respect that some women won't choose it.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 11:13

"But we don't need to go so far that we can't support a woman's own choice for whatever reason she has."

I would hope that marketing would have no part in that decision... but it does. Baby formula is BIG business. There is NO WAY some company should have what is basically a marketing agreement with a hospital that affords them product placement in the recovery room.

o

Actually, after further investigation, most media outlets are hyping this... and I fell right into their trap... trying to make Mayor Bloomberg look like a dictator, when in fact, this is a program that has been in the works for some time and is designed to EDUCATE, not force in any way.

It's about healthy children, and has nothing at all to do with forcing an issue. It is simply about education and statistics, and if a mother refuses she will get her formula.

At our age, we take for granted that everyone knows the benefits of breastfeeding, but this is not the case. We have not been exposed to the myths that breastfeeding is more for the poor, the downtrodden, who can't afford formula... or that breastfeeding contributes to sagging of the breasts, deforming them so they require plastic surgery. (That's the myth I've heard most often.)

It is merely a short presentation to new mothers informing them of the scientifically proven benefits of breastfeeding versus babies raised strictly on formula.

A more honest comparison would be one that compares the Latch On program to the DARE program. No one is being denied the choice of formula... they are being given access to information that corrects any myths they might have heard, and gives them facts they might not know. A simple, "no, thank you" will get you the formula you desire.

I don't always agree with the way politicians go about campaigns, but this one is a healthy choice... and when you look at what the Mayor is trying to do overall... he sees several small things that can be done for the health of his citizens. I have to applaud him for trying. Some of these small ideas could have a huge impact.

With enough media slant, anyone can be taken in... and I'm sure formula manufacturers are not too happy at the potential loss of consumers and profit. This certainly does prove that the pen is mightier than the sword.

This is not about curtailing a choice... this is about informing the public with the vetted facts.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 13:18

If all the women who were told "you don't have enough milk" really didn't have enough milk, the human race would be on it's way out. About 80% of those women who were told this just weren't taught the details and realities of nursing their babies. Sometimes the pendulum has to swing a bit "too far"" in the other direction before it balances out. Extremists on all sides notwithstanding, something had to be done about the marketing practices of the formula companies. I'm old enough to remember boycotting Nestle in the 70s due to their marketing practices of formula in third world countries, where by the time new moms had used up their "gift basket" supplies, their own milk was compromised and they were locked into buying formula. This resulted in very poor women being forced to buy formula, which they would then water down (often with bad water) to make it stretch farther, resulting in yet more malnourished children.
Where I live, many - not all, but most - of the nurses have to be nearly physically restrained from giving bottles of water or formula, often behind the mother's back and against her wishes, as the majority still believe that the baby needs water, or the mom won't have enough or whatever. New grandmothers, aunts, and nosy others till try to convince her to be modern and that she should make sure her breasts are "nice" for her husband. I'm glad I had my 3 in the States in an environment of support for nursing, in public and long term, although I came in for my share of "primitive, shameless" , etc.

I know some think this sounds like big brother, but I kind of look at it as empowering women to make choices unencumbered by marketing falsehoods and half truths and un-empowering companies who profit from marketing ploys hostile to people who can do just fine, thank you, without buying products. My sister adopted a baby, and he did just fine on formula. But breast is best, and that bottom line is what's important, not Nestles.

o

It was my experience that hospitals were doing away with a lot of the freebies anyway. When my now 14 yo was born, we had a freebie bag, I honestly cannot even remember if there was formula in it or not. Three years later with the birth of the next child, no freebies. For the last 2 kids in a different states, again, no freebie gift bags.

This policy of freebies is extending to other things too, which is unfortunate in some ways. I understand the problems with product placement for medications but when my daughter was in the hospital for diabetes, many of the free gifts were a blessing (backpack with insulated pouch for insulin, Rufus the diabetes bear which shows wear you can get shots, a calorie/carb book, etc), especially for the parents who were going to be paying for a lot of unexpected medical bills.

o

I agree with wildchild and batya. I believe that most women can (and should) breastfeed with the proper support and education. It does make me sad when women will carry a baby for nine months, then not want to breastfeed because it's inconvenient.

o

I would agree, Batya... though I never had the chance to have my own children, I certainly would have nursed if I had! In breeding dogs, it's essential that the pups receive the colostrum in the beginning, which is rich in antibodies and other nutrients. Nursing also releases hormones that keep milk production going for as long as is necessary, depending on the mammal. Female mammals all have breasts, or mammary glands, for the purpose of feeding newborn offspring. If nature provided formula, we wouldn't need breasts! ;-)

So, here we have one of the worst forms of capitalism... specifically targeted marketing that can mean the difference between life and death for an infant, depending on the country it is born in... and made up fallacies pushed to bump purchasing. That's pretty low, in my opinion. It's a good case of moral bankruptcy on the part of Nestle.

o

My daughter was born in Italy and I wouldn't have known what to do if I wanted to use formula. All babies got "la poppa" whether mom liked it or not!

I just wanted to mention that not only is breast feeding good for the baby but it is also good for the mother for a variety of reasons.

o

Just curious, does anybody know if the benefits of breastfeeding is incorporated into sex-ed or health classes?

o

The ads have been on the subways here for awhile now!

Dine at Momma!
Lactoferrin inhibits the growth of iron-dependent bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. This inhibits certain organisms, such as coliforms and yeast, that require iron.
Secretory IgA also works to protect the infant from viruses and bacteria, specifically those that the baby, mom, and family are exposed to. It also helps to protect against E. Coli and possibly allergies. Other immunoglobulins, including IgG and IgM, in breast milk also help protect against bacterial and viral infections. Eating fish can help increase the amount of these proteins in your breast milk.
Lysozyme is an enzyme that protects the infant against E. Coli and Salmonella. It also promotes the growth of healthy intestinal flora and has anti-inflammatory functions.
Bifidus factor supports the growth of lactobacillus. Lactobacillus is a beneficial bacteria that protects the baby against harmful bacteria by creating an acidic environment where it cannot survive.

Sounds good to me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Better is better

o

Well, Nik I see you're protesting the government getting control of women's bodies.He IS a Republican though. Funny, abortion restrictions, vaginal ultra sounds to even get an abortion...fine with Republicans but OMG there's
a ban against formula in the hospital!!!

Bloomberg is my hero in every way. He's trying to get people healthier, by banning smoking outside, enormous cups of wasted calories of soda and this.

In my day back in the 60's I was regarded as a freak for breastfeeding. After my son was born, they came in with a pill to dry me up. I was a KID and yet I stood up for my rights. Out of 28 babies in the nursery, I was the only one nursing and no one showed me anything. When I was nursing my daughter NOT with the pediatrician's blessing I might add, I got mastitis and was told by OB and Pediatrician to give up nursing. I did not. In retrospect, I would have nursed longer but I stopped both at six months. It was a different time, and they were started on solids before that time by their two different pediatricians. Again oatmeal at 4 weeks???

Nevertheless, nursing them was the most joyous time of having a baby to me. I would never trade those memories for anything. I was stay at home so no pumping was necessary, I was there. Yes, it's easier to prop a bottle and not take 30 minutes a time to sit with your baby but that's what bonding is.It's easier to see exactly how much the baby is getting, but that's what scales are for.

My daughter nursed her son but not nearly as long as I would have liked since her job made it difficult.

o

Beside all the health and emotional benefits to Mom and baby its so easy and so cheap! Only downside is Mom is stuck with the midnight feeding.

I absolutely loved breast feeding up until teething!

o

It is sn upside down world when formula is considered the given and bresstfeeding secondary. These are grest steps and very wise measures to take for healthcare cost as well since it strengthens mother and baby's immune systems.

o

So let me get this straight, be sure I understand the problem here, based on the OP and also ignore the fact the Mayor Bloomberg is a Republican.

It's OK for the government to literally invade the body of a woman, control her reproductive rights, her life her health when she is pregnant. Guess that goes in line with the Evangelical Right wing and their personal religious beliefs that have to be forced upon pregnant women.

BUT and THIS IS THE BUT, THE REAL KICKER IN ALL OF THIS.

Once that baby is no longer "one of the unborn" but is actually born, it's not OK for the government to be involved in the same woman's life or that baby's life.
The heck with the health and well being of either of them, who cares, they are no longer important, don't represent anything that we can control as part of our religious belief, they are now the "collateral damage" and get in the way of spreading the "word" of keeping control of women and "the unborn".

Have I got that right now?

Simply put is this it?

Pregnant, "unborn" government control every move, every thought process, every right for a woman to control her own body, her own reproductive rights, even if they are legally done.

Live baby, delivered and in arms of mother, who gives a hoot, get out of the way, collateral damage for the "cause", no longer pregnant, no longer "unborn" no longer useful, get out of the way, no government control allowed.

OK, got it, an also got how totally absurd, disgusting, pathetic, the mindset is on the subjects.

Health and well being of the mother and child, not important, pregnant woman and her "unborn fetus" government involved, totally important.

Just plain sick, sick, sick,

o

Wow... totally another way to make a new Mom feel inadequate.
I breast fed my first and was totally successful. The second not so much. He was losing weight and not thriving. Breastfeeding just was not working. I had the advacote from he** that made me feel like a total monster for *giving in* to a bottle and formula.
Sorry but I could not bear to hear my son cry from hunger.

Thanks Bloomberg and others that think they know best for everyone....Stay out of my life, please.

o

But kacee you were successful for the first child. You knew how it was supposed to work and when it didn't you went to Plan B. There is nothing wrong with that and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Your experience doesn't really have much to do with the City's program to encourage women to breastfeed.

o

Everyone needs to learn to live as his highness says we should live. If you can't deal with it, get out of HIS country.

AND WHAT THE HELL IS IT WITH THESE ADS THAT WON'T LET YOU POST UNLESS YOU GO TO THEIR SITE???? MOEN CAN KISS MY BUTT!

o
Re: Bloomberg tells moms to breastfeed

Firefox is a good friend to have, Bill. :) Say goodbye to ads, everywhere on the web.

All the best,
-Patrick

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefox - a free dload a free web browser

o

I've got Firefox already. just easier to use IE7..... usually.

o

Gotta love Firefox..never see an ad.

o

I use Firefox both at work and at home and I am getting that big annoying cosmetic ad every once in awhile.

o

jerzeegirl, are you using the add-on "AdBlocker Plus"? If so, you might need an update.

o

The China Study book gives evidence strongly linking cow's milk baby formulas with type 1 diabetes.

o

Thanks, esh. I'll check.

o

See, this is why it would be so nice to have all the factual information and education, and be advised of all our choices and rights as females, from the moment we are old enough to understand... thorough education is key to understanding everything, from menstruation to STD's, from protecting against pregnancy and STD's to making choices where a pregnancy is concerned, from conception to delivery if that's the choice, through nursing, and on...

But there are forces at work against allowing us factual information, proper health care, the choices that are right for us as individuals, choices that can affect our babies' health, etc...

The more informed we are, the better prepared we are to make the choices that are right for us as individual women, and for our children should we choose to have them.

How many young girls who become pregnant know the benefits, and not just the myths, surrounding breastfeeding? How many hospitals actually take the time to explain, teach, or offer a choice? And how and where, exactly, do formula manufacturers fit into the equation?

Why would the industry that aims its products at babies, and in reality toward new parents, be any different than any other industry? I'm sure they have lobbyists in Washington, public relations and marketing departments, with the basic idea to sell products and make profits.

I wonder what the percentage is, exactly, of women who give birth and are taught, or have the necessary information, to give nursing a try? I also wonder what the percentage is of new mothers that go straight to formula and have no real knowledge of what nursing is all about from a health perspective?

It is my opinion that we live in a generally uninformed society where too many citizens do not receive the educational information they should have... whether through tradition, religion, politics, or the media we are constantly bombarded with, etc...

o

Actually, Lilly, I believe Bloomberg is today an Independent. Not that it changes my opinion of his efforts to put formula in out of the way locations. If he were a Republican, my opinion would be the same.

No means no. Why would a "voluntary" program place formula in an out of the way place when it will extend the time a hungry baby has to wait to be fed? Formula belongs near where it is used, so babies do not have to wait to be fed. The mother and her doctor can decide what works without any "help" from do gooders who don't like the decision they've made.

o

Everything is locked up in a hospital. Alcohol wipes are locked up...silly to make a case on that - it is not like this stuff is in a dungeon and hard to get to...

It is voluntary and the hospitals that are participating chose to do so and the moms can also make their own choice after being informed on their choices and not handed a swag bag.

o

Baby formula is BIG business. There is NO WAY some company should have what is basically a marketing agreement with a hospital that affords them product placement in the recovery room.

AGREE!

o

He has become selective in his opinions they often seem random if not always consistent with his own behavior.

o

Why would a "voluntary" program place formula in an out of the way place when it will extend the time a hungry baby has to wait to be fed?

What an odd thing to say. Actual breast milk won't "come in" until two to three days after your child's birth. Until that time, the magical colostrum or "liquid gold" is what's going to keep your newborn healthy and happy. This fluid is rich in vitamins and immunities and is all your child needs for those first few days.

o

My children were born 26 and 11 years ago. Both times the hospital encouraged breast feeding and a lactation specialist was available for help. I don't see any difference to this. Much ado about nothing.

o

Lactivism gone wild!

o

Bloomberg sure has a lot of time on his hands to try to use his government position to attempt to influence people to make personal decisions that he thinks they should make.

o

Bloomberg sure has a lot of time on his hands to try to use his government position to attempt to influence people to make personal decisions that he thinks they should make.

That's what leaders do.

o

The average Infant Mortality Rate for NYC (2007-2009 stats) was 5.0 per 1,000 live births. The lowest measured rate of the five areas of NYC was 4.2 (New York) and the highest was 6.3 (Bronx.)

That's 4-6 dead babies per 1,000. Not very good, for a developed country. Around 20th or 40th compared to national ratings in other countries. Depending on whether you go by the UN or the CIA numbers.

One of the largest cities in the wealthiest country in the world should be able to do better. Helping one's fellow citizens raise healthy babies by encouraging them to breastfeed their kids is a public health measure.

It's a responsible thing for a mayor to do. Personal comments speculating about Bloomberg doing this out of idleness are personal attacks -- which trivialize and ignore the real reasons for Bloomberg's actions.

All the best,
-Patrick

Sources:
Infant Mortality by County (NY State Dept. of Health)

List of countries by infant mortality rate (Wikipedia)

o

Personal attacks? No not possible! Demi doesn't make personal attacks. Did you miss the memo?

I don't understand what the problem is. The mayor of a major city would like to keep babies healthier. Institutes plan to encourage (not mandate!) breast feeding newborns. And people have a problem with that. Very strange!

o

JZ,

I don't understand why my noting that a hungry baby has to wait longer to be fed when formula is located in an inconvenient place is an odd thing to say. You go on to state that actual milk taks a while to come in, but what does that have to do with my statement? Having breast fed my younger child, I am supportive of women making that choice. At the same time, when a mother says no thanks, I support her right it make that call. When she says no, that should be final, and people who think like Bloomberg should butt out. There is no logical reason to put formula in an inconvenient location. It is as essential for bottle fed babies as diapers are to babies no matter what food the mother chooses.

o

I still can't believe that he is so health conscious but lets a major City Hospital be converted into Condos.

o

I don't understand why my noting that a hungry baby has to wait longer to be fed when formula is located in an inconvenient place is an odd thing to say.

Because how do you know where the formula is and if it's inconvenient. How do you know that it might take longer? I keep my files at work in a locked drawer; if I need them, I turn the key and open the drawer. What is so inconvenient about that? You are arguing about a problem that you don't for sure exists.

o

I agree with Jerzee... without personal knowledge of all the details, there's nothing to argue about. Two or three seconds, or even minutes, is not the difference between life and death of an otherwise healthy baby that's just hungry.

Since there is no set time for a baby to latch on and begin suckling, it's all a moot point. Babies don't need to feed the second they're born. They've been getting nutrition all along through the umbilical cord, from the mother.

Moving formula out of the room and into the nurses station, or where ever they've decided to store it, is not even an issue.

I think it's a great idea to get more information to new mothers.

o

JZ

Anyone who has been paying attention to this story knows that inconvenience is part of strategy. Putting up barriers to access delays access. Can you think of a good reason for putting diapers, another routinely necessary item, in out of the way location?

o

No matter how you cut this it is the hospitals decision regardless of who my be encouraging them. Bloomberg may be supportive of this initiative but it is the hospital that calls the shots.

o

And when there is no more competition and people can't choose the hospitals they use, THEN they have us where they want us and have the control about even more facets of our lives--no formula available, sorry ma'am.

It's just part of the big plan.

o

"when there is no more competition and people can't choose the hospitals they use"

I cannot even begin to imagine how that could come about. It certainly is not our experience here and we've had National universal health care for decades and decades. You must have a very sinister government.

...."Just 'cause you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you."

o

Can you think of a good reason for putting diapers, another routinely necessary item, in out of the way location?

Are you saying the babies are going commando?

o

...."Just 'cause you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you."

True, very true! ;-D

o

And when there is no more competition and people can't choose the hospitals they use, THEN they have us where they want us and have the control about even more facets of our lives--no formula available, sorry ma'am.
It's just part of the big plan.

Really Demi? Is that what you think? Where do you get that info?

I really just cannot understand this thread. I am no fan of Mr. Bloomberg but I cannot understand what the uproar is all about. What could possibly be wrong with promoting (and I repeat NOT MANDATING) a program that promotes a healthy way to feed newborns???

Are you also against the ads that NY runs to try and get people to stop smoking? OMG OMG the government is trying to get me to stop smoking! They'll even help me do it there by making me healthier!!! What next???? OMG OMG!!!

o

JZ,

Babies need food and diapers throughout the day. Can you think of a logical reason for putting food or diapers in an out of the way location?

Once Mom says no to breast feeding, what is the logic behind putting formula in an out of the way location? In what way do mother or baby benefit?

Speaking of your files, how would you like it if some busybody didn't like the fact that you can just turn to them, as you say you can?

In the interest of making sure you get more exercise,that busybody has decreed that your files must be kept in an out of the way location. It's for your own good, so I know you will be happy with the new arrangement. Who knows what you need better than some stranger convinced s/he knows what's good for everybody???

o

Why the hell is the hospital providing diapers and formula anyway??? It's not a medical requirement.

You are there for two days max...bring your own!

o

Better yet, birth at home with a midwife!

o

nik: Where on earth does it say that they are hiding the diapers? Why are you saying this?

o

JZ, I think you missed the point.

o

I don't think I missed the point at all. Nik felt the need, for whatever reason, to make several incorrect statements which she is trying to pass off as truth and also trying to spin controversy out of them. Sorry but I'm not buying it.

o

You are there for two days max...bring your own!

2 days would be a luxury! 1 day and buy buyyy in this country if vag delivery no comps...so dictates insurance companies.

o

people can't choose the hospitals they use

This is already happening as medical insurance carriers have contracts with certain hospitals. If there's a dispute when renewing the contract, policy holders are notified that a particular hospital is no longer "in network" and are given a list of alternate hospitals in the general area.

o

Thank you houseful. Glad to know my point wasn't totally obscure!

JZ,

Either you missed the point or you're pulling my leg. But that's OK. I enjoy our chats anyway.

o

I suppose if you define a "point" as scary conspiratorial stuff you just imagine despite the facts then it is as pointy as most of the other stuff Nik has said here.

o

Nikoleta, will you share with the forum what the hospital breast feeding practices are in your state/locale and tell us how they differ from what's going on in NYC?

o

This is a very Hot Topic indeed! My own story is this- my doctor and hospital where my children were delivered recommended breast feeding, A woman from La Leche League visited me once. I did manage to breast feed both my daughters for months, "pumped" at work and froze my breastmilk. My mother in law did not breast feed and told me it was "disgusting" and "animal". Yes, I am a mammal. We never got along, she's now dead, end of story.

o

jannie: That is such an unfortunate story born from ignorance. Good for you that you ignored your MIL and did what you thought was right. I hope it wasn't too difficult for your DH who was probably caught in the crossfire.

o

Houseful, I did birth at home with a midwife. It was an amazing experience.

I'm a huge advocate for breastfeeding (I'm still nursing my youngest who will be 2 next month). If the strongest argument here is that keeping the formula at the nursing station is "inconvenient" for mom, that mom is in for a shock when she gets home! Formula feeding is inconvenient. Period. Breast milk, on the other hand, is available all the time, where ever you are, and is always the right temperature.

So many moms are concerned about their baby going hungry, or not having enough milk to satisfy them. When a baby leaves the hospital, it's stomach is as big as a walnut. It really doesn't take much to fill that sucker up. Breastfeeding is supply and demand, your body will produce milk based upon the amount that is coming out. Supplementing just one feeding a day with formula can jeoprodize your entire supply.

I do believe that a woman has the right to choose whether or not to breastfeed, and I absolutely understand that it is not easy. However, I'll admit that I give the side eye to a woman who refuses to breastfeed without even trying.

o

I am all for having the choice to breastfeed or not. To be honest, I don't fully trust the food industry for quality control so as far as bottle feed, I'm not a huge supporter and feel for those who can't breastfeed because it just doesn't work for them (whatever the reason).

o

Simply put, females have mammary glands for a specific reason... to nourish young offspring. I feel very sad for those mothers who can't or won't nurse their babies. Breast milk is infinitely more healthy than manufactured formula.

Pregnancy, childbirth, and nursing were never meant to be convenient. If one wants convenience, might I suggest using birth control!

If I had the chance to have my own children, I'd opt for and try very hard to breast feed, knowing the benefits far outweigh any inconvenience or other issues!

o

Michael Bloomberg is a very strange man, obsessed with butting in on family affairs that are none of his business.

Breastfeeding is a personal decision, with mothers having the absolute right to make whatever call they like.

Educating mothers about the benefits of breastfeeding is one thing.

Purposely creating unnecessary delays to feeding hungry infants because the mayor doesn't like the mothers' choice is abusive.

How many women here let your husbands decide whether or not you were going to breastfeed?

How many of your husbands decide what size soda you can have, or tell you how much salt you can add to your food?

I wouldn't put up with that kind of carp from my own husband! I don't understand why grown up women would let some arrogant little man set about punishing them or their babies because he disapproves of choices they had every right to make. He's crossing into territory where he doesn't belong, and they're letting him get away with it.

o

Nik,
This isn't an issue o disagreeing with a mother's choice of how to feed her newborn infant.

This is a health issue, and being such, the idea of being so supportive of breastfeeding is an excellent one.

No one is preventing any mother from feeding her baby as she wishes.

What is being done is providing new mothers with the information and support to attempt breastfeeding before making that final decision to formula feed her baby.

It should not be an automatic stuff a bottle of formula and/or sugar water in the baby's bassinet every time that baby is brought to his/her mother.

That is a strong indication to any new mother that the hospital, the staff prefer you bottle feed your baby instead of nurse your baby.

Breastfeeding is a personal decision, with mothers having the absolute right to make whatever call they like.

Yes it is, Nik, but like any other health decision that is made, whether it be for oneself, one's loved one, one's newborn infant, it needs to be an informed choice.

"informed choice", being the key words. Informed being that one has all the information available and understands all the information before making that choice.

Not all women are well informed as to the options on feeding their newborn infant. Not all women have the support needed to make the decision that they believe is the correct one for themselves and their newborn infant.

There are many women that go into labor and have not fully made the decision on how to feed their baby or have made the decision to bottle feed their newborn out of pressure from others and with some encouragement they find that breastfeeding is the right option for them.

One simple thing that is well known though is that it is easy to try breastfeeding and then if you don't want to do it, go on to bottle feed, but the reverse can be difficult to do.

One has nothing to lose but some colostrum and breast milk. If one doesn't like it, then go to using a bottle.

What should be made clear is that "breast is best", that it is the natural and best "food" for your baby and that every woman should try before making the decision to go to the bottle.

The irony with the formula is that the formula companies do everything they possibly can now to formulate their brand as close to the ingredients that is found naturally in "mother's milk" and they just can not replicate it.

What does that say? Yup, "breast is best", and that is what one should use whenever it is possible.

As for the freebies, those special care packages to bring home. Those are provided free from the formula companies for the hospital to give out, to give out as long as they use their brand of formula for their newborn infants in the nursery.
Stuffed in those freebie packs, coupons for the said formula, and of course for specific brand of disposable diapers, yup the ones that the particular hospital uses and is contracted to use.

It's just one big, huge marketing campaign, partnered between the hospitals and the diaper and formula companies and it has been working for so long because the hospitals want huge discounts from the formula and diaper companies and the only way to get them was to join forces with the formula and diaper companies to dump the stuff on the new mothers.
New mothers are such perfect candidates to be swayed to fall for the freebies without thinking because it is made to appear it is the best thing to do. Why else would the hospitals be giving out this stuff.

Now Across the country these kind of freebies are being banned in hospitals as they should be, and the companies can't retaliate against the hospitals and put up the charges because they aren't getting the deals any more.

I just don't understand how it is OK for big business to use and abuse the hospitals and new mothers, new parents at the expense of what is truly best for all new born infants, but it's not OK for someone, anyone to interfere with this abuse perpetrated by big business to help encourage and provide and environment that is most conducive to providing what is best for newborn infants.

Oh, if anyone thinks that formula and even diapers are not locked up in a hospital, they are, always have been as well, as far back as the late 60's, it was kept under lock and key and provided on an "as need" basis.

Mayor Bloomberg is not "an arrogant little man", but rather, he is a mayor trying to do what is best for all of the residents of NYC, including the youngest of all, the newborn infants in his city.

And Nik, when I was pregnant with my oldest, 35 years ago, my husband made it quite clear to me that I would breastfeed the baby.
When he made that clear, I smiled, laughed and said "thank you for the support, because I couldn't imagine doing anything but nursing my baby." I felt that way even though I had never seen or met anyone that had done so, it was just to me, to both my husband and myself, the normal and natural thing to do.

My children where breastfed until they weaned themselves, the oldest at 2 1/2, the youngest at 2.

I used to look around me at the mothers who had to pack up all those bottles to go anywhere, had to have all those supplies ready and prepared to feed their baby and all the commotion that went along with it.
I listened to how much the formula costs, the bottles the time spent to do this and that, how much everything kept going up in price and all I could think of was "heck, all I have to do is pick up a diaper bag that was always ready with diapers to go out with, pick up me, the baby and off we went. Baby needs to be fed, pick up baby and milk is ready to go, warm enough, just feed and go back to what we where doing, and heck, it didn't cost anything extra either.

With my first one, I didn't have much support either, just hubby and pediatrician.

I had enough old wives tales thrown at me to fill dozens of volumes of books, one more absurd than the next. and I didn't let anything get in my way of breastfeeding my babies.

When everyone else's babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers and kindergarteners where all getting sick, mine weren't having problems.

To this day, at almost 35 and going on 30, neither of my kids have ever had an ear infections, rarely got sick, never had strep throat, even around the kids in schools that did, are healthy adults, and the younger one is a public HS teacher.

This whole complaint about Mayor Bloomberg is nothing more than a "red herring" complaint with no relevance to what is actually being done and being said.

This is for the health of newborn infants and it doesn't get much better than that.

o

If people are old enough to have sex and get pregnant and deliver a baby, then they are old enough and should be personally responsible enough to decide how to feed it without being "told" what they SHOULD do by anyone--especially anyone that has never had a child themselves.

The nerve!

o

Nikoleta, your state is doing the same thing that Bloomberg is doing in NY.

o

I say let those for or against fight it out.
As for baby they should be fed.
as needed.

o

The spammer who brought this thread up should consider hiring someone for whom English is their first language!

I never fed my son a drop of formula, did not even consider feeding him any other way. He latched on and nursed from minute one, nothing could have been easier! He nursed on demand, until he weaned himself at about age 2 3/4 years.

There were occasional minor complications, but overall nursing was far easier, much healthier, and costs nothing compared to dealing with bottles, and some fake baby milk that comes out of a can pushed by huge multi-national corporations.

I do understand that nursing is not possible for every mother, as nature has always had a failure rate in reproduction, just as there are couples who are infertile, and many women and infants died during childbirth. Those mother who were unable to breastfeed used a wet nurse to feed their babies, because of course there was no such thing as formula for millenia of human existence!

Jannie - I wonder what your MIL thought of the sex act itself? Very animal, if you ask me.

This post was edited by terrene on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 8:13

o

"It should not be an automatic stuff a bottle of formula and/or sugar water in the baby's bassinet every time that baby is brought to his/her mother."

I agree. Babies should be fed when they're hungry, not when the staff wants to feed them. I also agree that every mother should be educated about the benefits of breastfeeding, and make whatever decision she likes.

I also believe that after she receives the information, if a woman still says "no, that's not for me," that should be the end of it.

But Bloomberg doesn't see things that way. "No might mean no, but I'm the Mayor and I'm going to use my power to make you question, maybe even regret, your decision." He's crossing boundaries he has not right to cross.

There is no logical reason for deliberately relocating formula from the area where it is needed, to an area where it is difficult to access. It was not done to enhance the experience of mother and baby. It was done to complicate the experience, and to create unnecessary unpleasantness for mother and child.

Bloomberg is a control freak and he gives me the willies.

o

Here you go Nik, directly from NYC, myths and facts on
Latch on NYC.

just click on the link

Here is a link that might be useful: The truth about NYC latch on, otherwise known as debunking the myths and outlandish claims

o

Nik, you say

Bloomberg is a control freak and he gives me the willies.

I would think that the TeaParty, wanting to control everything politicly as well as socially, be derived from their religious beliefs,

That allowing health insurance companies control the health care industry as it has done in the past, denying those with pre-existing conditions health care, putting a maximum limit on the amount of money that their health care policies will cover, doing whatever they can to deny coverage to anyone when they put in health claims,

Allowing the prescription drug insurance companies to deny life saving medication because of the cost or some such absurd reason, or price medications at such high rates that people can't afford their needed medications,

Just to name a few things, Nik,

Now that is being control freaks, and that should give anyone "the willies", not NYC latch on.

o

Bloomberg is using the power of government to interfere in personal decisions he doesn't like.

"That allowing health insurance companies control the health care industry as it has done in the past, denying those with pre-existing conditions health care..."

Now the government program is out of money. No new people can enroll.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here