Here is a link that might be useful: SMBC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Intro History

Poke

o

Morning Mrsk...

Yeah, some will find it to be a poke. But most will get the humour behind it.

o

Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket

o

Thanks, HG!

o

Currently there is a row going on that Gay Activists were responsible for David Barton's (Fiction).

" Even though David Barton's book of lying lies was actually brought down by a coalition of evangelicals and Christian historians, Scott Lively blames relatively gay-friendly Christian university professor Dr. Warren Throckmorton and "anti-Christ" gay blogs such as JMG."

David Barton of Wall Builders writes History Lite that is steeped in a Christianist understanding of the US & it's place in History.

"Among the many whackadoodle claims that Barton tells trembling-with-joy audiences at his 400 annual speech-making appearances, is that the bible plainly states opposition to the minimum wage, to corporate bailouts, to socialized medicine, and just about anything else that a non-teabagger might endorse. Most infamously, he claims that virtually all of the Founding Fathers were in fact devout evangelical Christians who expressly created the United States to be a nation of, by, and exclusively for Jezis people. (I use that spelling as I assume his listeners are hearing a bout a fictitious character invented to suit the moment & the message Jezis rather than Jesus.

NPR’s Barbara Bradley Hagerty profiled David Barton yesterday on “All Things Considered,” and in the devastating profile debunked many of the claims made by the right-wing pseudo-historian. Messiah College professor John Fea pointed out in the story that Barton, who will be a “a Texas representative to the GOP Platform Committee” at the upcoming Republican National Convention,” is a political activist who tries to present himself as a historian: “He’s in this for activism. He's in this for policy. He’s in this to make changes to our culture.”

In typical Barton fashion, he said any of his critics only “come after me” because “they disagree with me, and my religious faith, and my view on America.” Of course, Fea and other Barton critics quoted in the story, Grove City College professor Warren Throckmorton and Rev. Ray McMillian of Cincinnati’s Oasis Church, are evangelical Christians. But since Barton can’t defend his own discredited “research,” he simply plays the victim and says he is being attacked for his patriotism and Christian beliefs.

Liberty University Law School dean Mat Staver, who made Barton required reading for his students, said he “would put him against any historian and would have no question who would win in a debate.”

Of course, Hagerty notes, Barton “has a policy of not debating anyone.”

Right Wing Watch readers will be familiar with many of Barton’s claims presented in the piece, including his assertion that the Constitution quotes the Bible “verbatim”:

Jung understood the importance of symbols in culture as do any crafters of a movement. When you can co-opt the symbols of a nation & hitch them to a present cause you can have a following repeat in variation that following can grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pig in the poke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here