Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One More Time

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 9:48

I've brought up the plight of the Rohingya twice now. They are a people no longer welcomed in Bangladesh & in conflict in Burma.
This was from BBC awhile back now a video clip lets us see the devastation that can permit a majority to repress or attack a minority. (some folks think Democracy is about a majority vote or something like that)
The CNN video shows the remains of the muslim community!
"My father was shot dead by the Burmese military in front me. Our entire village was destroyed. We ran for our lives. I still don't know what happened to my mother," she said, sitting in a thatched hut in a fishing village near the town of Teknaf in south-eastern Bangladesh.

Ms Khatun is one of the Rohingya Muslims who have managed to cross into Bangladesh following the communal unrest in western Burma's Rakhine province.

The 30-year old broke down repeatedly as she tried to explain what happened over the border.

She says their village came under attack during clashes between majority Buddhists and local Muslims, mostly from the Rohingya minority. Nearly 80 people were killed in the fighting and thousands were displaced.

Human rights groups allege that Burmese security forces continue to carry out mass arrests, forcing many Rohingya Muslims to flee. A state of emergency declared last month is still in force in many places of the province.

"We have obviously expressed our concern over the tension there," a senior State Department official said on Wednesday regarding the situation in Arakan State before denying that the Burmese security forces were trying to decimate the Rohingya population. It is understood that US officials accompanied UN human rights envoy Tomas Ojea Quintana on his visit to the affected area last week.

The US remarks came hours after the OIC Secretary General Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu expressed disappointment at the inaction of the international community to stop the "massacres, violations, injustice and ethnic cleansing" perpetrated by the Burmese government against Rohingya Muslims.

The atrea has been under media blackout for ages

Here is a link that might be useful: CNN Video

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One More Time

OK Myanmar!

o

I watched the video, labrea. Heartbreaking. Sad. Those poor, poor people. They need help...don't think they will get any.
Thanks for posting.

Sea

o

It's been a back & forth deal for people who are not citizens of the nation they live in & not wanted from the land area (now Bangladesh that they came from) the area is ripe for an insurgency!

Here is a link that might be useful: Violence is Golden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here