Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Obama: the most anti-immigrant president in a half century

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 11:36

Yep, that is the message on CNN.

Obama's Latino defenders buy the line that this is a kinder and gentler administration. They'll buy anything to keep from admitting that they made a mistake in 2008 and helped put in office the most anti-immigrant president in a half century.

But on the ground, in immigrant communities, they know better. They know that it is business as usual. And they can point to the miscarriages of justice that prove it.

Just ask the tamale lady.

Ruben Navarrette's latest report is a scathing criticism of Obama.

Juana Reyes' trouble started on June 28 when she was arrested outside a Walmart by Sacramento County Sheriff's deputies and charged with trespassing and interfering with a business.

What exactly was the interference? Reyes is unemployed. She was selling tamales so she could buy food and clothes for her two children -- 10-year-old Cesar and 7-year-old Montserrat, both of whom were born in the United States.

Think about it. This woman wasn't holding a handmade sign that read: "Will work for food." She was working by making food and selling it.

She's outta here. She was held in jail for nearly two weeks with no lawyer. Her children were placed in foster care. Yep, she is the kind that needs to be sent back, pronto.

Here is a link that might be useful: CNN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Obama: the most anti-immigrant president in a half century

So........he's damned if he doesn't "enforce" immigration laws, and damned if he does.

The guy can't win, can he.

I think what has happened to this woman and her children is unspeakably cruel and certainly unnecessary. She should be freed and allowed to continue her life here and take care of her children. There's the letter of the law and the spirit of the law - we must show common sense, and in this case, mercy.

But selling them in front of a Walmart store. Bad decision.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 12:21

Knowingly coming here as an undocumented person is a risk reward scenario. Immigrants that come here or, more likely, overstay here are usually coming from very dire circumstances. They are willing to risk exploitation, deportation and other hardships to get out of something they see as much worse. I don't see them as victims at all. I see them as enterprising and extremely courageous to be taking the risks that they do. Sometimes it is a sensible choice in spite of the risk but the risk still remains.

I think it's disingenuous for the author to present a "poor me" defense. The woman knowingly overstayed. Knowingly broke the law after she was warned to leave in spite of having two children that need her. Yes, she got caught up in a draconian system after her arrest but she knew the risk she was taking and chose to take it anyway. Why would any parent knowingly put their children at such risk? There had to be a better solution.

o

She was doing something that even if the person was not a immigrant would have been arrested. People that are not immigrant are also left in jail for several days. They can hold you for 3 days without charges. It happens every day.

I am one that does not agree with shipping every immigrant back home. But in this case as heartbreaking as it reads (you never know the background story) it is sad.

This is the kicker...I think the Obama is anti-immigrant vs immigrant friendly is not understood. The Hispanics I know are not upset about the deportations they feel the support from the President is the respect they get that he recognize that every one is not illegal because they look different. That is the point of being immigrant friendly.

So stories like the CNN will not deter support from the Hispanic community. They see the things that are said about the President especially in Florida with all the birther stuff they feel he is just as prosecuted as they are being treated.

That birther stuff makes the bigots feel good and gets the base going but to the rest of the sane US citizens that are not Batcrapcrazy it looks as if you are treating the President of the US as a illegal immigrant.

o

Oh he can't possible be can he NIK?

o

They'll buy anything to keep from admitting that they made a mistake in 2008 and helped put in office the most anti-immigrant president in a half century.

I don't think many will see their vote as a mistake given what the alternative was. Latino activists know that they have a chance to influence President Obama while Latino Republicans cannot even convince their party to tone down the hate rhetoric. The activists also know that the GOP cannot vote for meaningful immigration reform given that there is a vocal base of a deport-only mind set.

As individual states pass versions of the Dream Act, the possibility of a federal law increases.

o

Media twist, once again.

Like Marquest said, anyone would be arrested for doing the exact same thing. Walmart does not allow just anyone to sell items outside their stores, on their property.

I know they sometimes host charities or organizations, like church groups, or the Girl Scouts, or the Salvation Army at Christmas, or others, to sell certain items... but I'm pretty sure there's a permit involved, or some other kind of permission given by Walmart.

No one can just set up shop on what is considered private property and begin selling items.

Like KT, I think trying to better one's situation is extremely noble, but at the same time, often risky. Most people know the risks they take when they do anything.

Obama is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't... no matter what it is. It's been this way since he was sworn into office. Now, if the real reason(s) would just stand up for acknowledgment...

o

Walmart does not allow just anyone to sell items outside their stores, on their property.

Jodi is right. I'm involved with a group that sets up in front of Walmart (and other stores) for donations and you have to appl for it. People can't just walk up and start selling stuff at the doorway of a business.

Illegal immigrant or natural born citizen does not matter. It can't just be claimed as "anti-immigrant" if you arrest an illegal immigrant for doing something that no one else is allowed to do either.

o

Hard for me to have too much sympathy for her. Setting up where she did was illegal and she probably knew it. I applaud her trying to feed her family but given her status she really should have been somewhat more "discreet".

Once detained for illegal activity I suspect the system kicks in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here