Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Isaac be coming to the convention?

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 12:14

Cone of uncertainty getting closer and closer to Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cone of uncertainty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Isaac be coming to the convention?

The ultimate party crasher.

o

Tampa is long overdue for the Big One.

o

Would the big blow outside match the big blow inside?

o

HMM, well they could all stay inside and have themselves a "hurricane party", get all the fancy food, celebrate and attempt to pray the storm away.

OR they could come up with some fools belief that it is "God's wrath on the American People for" heck they will come up with something that the rest of us "non believers" did to cause it.

o

They'll post lots of folks at the bolted doors to fend off any "riders on the storm' seeking shelter. You know... the one's who didn't plan ahead.

o

Assuming some of them will be skinny dipping in the moonlight of Tampa Bay. What happens in Tampa, stays in Tampa...unlike the Galilee.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 17:31

If Isaac hits the repub convention I wonder what Pat Roberson's message from God will be about that?

o

A quote from Robertson for the GOP to write into their Abortion Plank: "Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." (And people listen to this Clown College shill.)

As far as Isaac goes, his thoughts on the spate of midwest tornadoes could apply. "If enough people were praying [God] would've intervened, you could pray, Jesus stilled the storm, you can still storms."

Since Robertson blamed people for living in tornado-prone areas, guess the hurricane-prone livers would be their own worst enemies, too.

o

Don't know about Isaac, but Joe Biden will be there, also talk of Obama showing up in town for a couple of days. I love it, shows how desperate they are.

o

What? The state of Florida is shut down to all but Rightwingers?

Would not that be poetic justice after Katrina? Ya better get praying.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 18:25

I doubt Biden and Obama are desperate but The entire nation should have a feeling of desperation with the possibility of a President Romney. What is the attraction of this?

Romney/Ryan 2012
Dope & Change

o

Oh no lily, just because past history says that whichever party is having their convention, the other respectfully stays away and keeps a low profile. Just a matter of respect. I have no problem with them showing up in Florida. In fact, I would expect it.

o

We'll see when the Dems hold theirs how quiet your side will be.

o

They should be at least as respectful as the dems right lily?

o

Even though they aren't nominating Rick Perry Cindy Jacobs can still show up & still the storm. The Prophetess is claiming to raise the dead lately.
Could you imagine if the Dems had something like this character scurrying around their candidates. We would never hear the end of it.
Shes really big on dead birds & storms as a sign from god!

Televangelist and self-styled Apostle Cindy Jacobs possesses the supernatural power to initiate miracles. It isn’t too far-fetched, considering that her mentor and founder of the New Apostolic Reformation C. Peter Wagner has claimed that people like himself “can do the same or greater things than Jesus did.” On the August 6th edition of her show God Knows, the self-proclaimed “respected prophet” channeled her supernatural powers live on air to revive a dead child, claiming to have done so in the past as well. Jacobs has previously claimed that Satan “wants to steal God’s family and create tyranny” and that health care reform requires everyone to have a computer chip “put in their finger” in order to receive care.

I just hope everyone gets there safe & leaves there safe & uses protection if the occasion arises!

o

"On the August 6th edition of her show God Knows, the self-proclaimed “respected prophet” channeled her supernatural powers live on air to revive a dead child, claiming to have done so in the past as well. Jacobs has previously claimed that Satan “wants to steal God’s family and create tyranny” and that health care reform requires everyone to have a computer chip “put in their finger” in order to receive care."

Sounds positively delusional (in a schizophrenic sort of way). Well, that would boast televion ratings for the shindig--just like to see the Dems top raising the dead. But, that would just confirm their belief that he was the 'Anti-Christ' anyway. Where are these colorful characters in the Democratic Party? Yes, by all means use protection, and those skinny dipping in Tampa Bay should exercise strong caution due to rip currents from Hurricane Isaac. 'Isaac', now that is quite prophetic.

o

We'll see when the Dems hold theirs how quiet your side will be.

Chicago Seven anyone?

o

God speaking through hurricanes: "Can you hear me NOW? "

o

It's quite simple. Since anthropogenic global climate change is a world-wide liberal conspiracy to stamp out fun and pollution-generating conservative-controlled industries, it follows that Isaac is also a liberal conspiracy to disrupt the GOP convention. Couldn't possibly be because the GOP scheduled a convention in a state known to be affected by hurricanes during the season in which hurricanes occur.

o

Hurricane Isaac may be upstaged by Akin who will be fighting forward with his campaign. Interesting times.

Chicago Seven? You had to go back to the 60 's to find fringe characters crazy enough to compete with the current crapload of Republicons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Akin stays in the race.

o

"....how desperate they are...." Mrsk?

How long have you been in that cave, deprived of all political news? Get out quick girl - you have fallen waaaay behind in your political current events.

o

Well I'm sure there are more to be uncovered in the political crapheap.

I have to agree with Rachel Maddow - Kevin Yoder (R-Kansas) has to the luckiest CongrASSman around. If Akin hadn't stolen the headlines at the precise moment, the nocturnal nudie plunge into the holy water of the Sea of Galilee would have been the talk of the town.

One of the first orders of business in 2013 should be to curtail these Congressional fact finding trips. Since they treat the world like it's a Sandals resort, let them book on their own dime.

o

I agree about all fact finding trips for all politicians, they are nothing much more than tax funded vacations. We haven't been able to afford a holiday out of the country in ages and ages, I don't want all our taxes to pay for their playtime. Not any of them, unless what they do, when they do it, what of value gets accomplished and every minute of their time is accounted for and publically published.

I thought I heard somewhere that this wasn't a tax funded trip but that the funding came from private sources, but I certainly might not have heard correctly.

I'm amazed that with the silence from Christian conservatives regarding all those numbskulls but in particular this numbskull who went skinny dipping in such revered waters.

I'm not being snarky, I really am astounded at the total conservatie silence about it. Like it really doesn't matter. I'm astounded that I don't hear Christian democrats protesting it, but more so conservatives since he was one of their guys.

I don't get that, I'm not a Christian and though I don't have a problem with a bunch of middle aged or older men who drank too much wine and then en masse swimming or skinny dipping (the visual....now I have an eye disease!) if they want to - but in those particular waters in that particular part of the world?

I do think that would be out of line for any American to do. Far, far more so for an American politician. Very disrespectful on so many different levels - and yet not a peep that their own conservative politicians did so.

o

Was a mixed group - had to be 18 to go on this trip and I think one congressman's daughter was there. I tend to respect what others revere, but a blurb in the WaPo said the Sea of Galilee holds no special religious significance for Israelis.

Comportment is a lost art, though. These whackaloons should at least be publicly embarassed when their public and private faces look in opposite directions. Yoder is a "family values" guy... anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-sex education; proponent of regulating sexual behavior - either gay or straight.

o

So far, there has just been the skinny dipping. No big deal in my opinion whatever sea it was in, sacred or otherwise. It is troubling that many decided to get sauced and then take a swim--pretty stupid to mix alcohol with water (apparently in spiritual if not carnal ecstasy while the country loses it's AAA bond rating BTW). Can't help but think there is more to this story than has yet to surface from this briny but fresh sea.

o

I wonder somewhere along the line his family was Mennonite since Yoder is a Mennonite name.

o

Posted by duluthinbloomz4 zone 4a (My Page) on Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 16:42

"Was a mixed group - had to be 18 to go on this trip and I think one congressman's daughter was there. I tend to respect what others revere, but a blurb in the WaPo said the Sea of Galilee holds no special religious significance for Israelis.
Comportment is a lost art, though. These whackaloons should at least be publicly embarassed when their public and private faces look in opposite directions. Yoder is a "family values" guy... anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-sex education; proponent of regulating sexual behavior - either gay or straight."

I realize this has nothing to do with the OP, but as long as we're talking about skinny dipping, I never thought of it as a sexual thing. In the right weather, we do it all the time.

Now, discretion can be key...

o

Right weather or not, as a adult, I would feel extremely uncomfortable taking my clothes off in front of a colleague's daughter! I think we are into Wiener territory here with Yoder. Wasn't he voted one of the hunkiest politicians or something like that? Must have given him a big head.

o

It was fine they were republicans!

o

It was me... I didn't pray to the non-powers that don't exist, so the Republican Convention will be what it is.

o

The GOP played the Weiner story ad nauseum, but crickets on their naked guy swimming in a sacred sea with others present. Just gets a pass.

o

Posted by jerzeegirl 9 (My Page) on Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 7:33

"Right weather or not, as a adult, I would feel extremely uncomfortable taking my clothes off in front of a colleague's daughter! I think we are into Wiener territory here with Yoder. Wasn't he voted one of the hunkiest politicians or something like that? Must have given him a big head."

"Must have given him a big head."

What a picture that conjures up.

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 12:08

"The GOP played the Weiner story ad nauseum, but crickets on their naked guy swimming in a sacred sea with others present. Just gets a pass."

We can just go tit for tat with this line. How about the state representative in MN who just dropped his re-election bid over getting caught with his pants down? Surely you've heard about that one. Oral sex with a 17 year old boy?

I'd just drop the "inappropriate behavior" snarkiness when it comes to which party which sleezoid of the week belongs to; plenty to go around--this gets old fast.

As far as the "sacred sea" goes:

Congressman’s Holy Land Skinny-Dip Wasn’t Sacrilege
By Lisa Beyer Aug 23, 2012 11:25 AM CT

"The Israelis who live around and run the many restaurants, boating services and other tourist amenities around the Sea of Galilee must be having a good laugh over the Kevin Yoder scandal. The idea that a U.S. congressman could get in trouble for defiling the lake by swimming naked in it doesn't fit their idea of the Galilee at all.

U.S. press coverage of an after-dinner (and after-drinks) dip in the Galilee by a visiting delegation of Congressmen and staffers, in which Yoder stripped off all his clothes, has stressed the sanctity of the lake, as the place where the Bible says Jesus walked on water.

Anyone who has spent real time on the lake knows it doesn't have a sacred aura. I lived in Israel for nine years as a foreign correspondent and made numerous outings to the Kinneret (or "harp," as Israelis call it, for its shape). Certainly, dedicated Christian visitors can have a religious experience, by visiting a museum housing a boat that dates to the time of Jesus and sailing on a modern replica. But those things are for tourists.

Israelis use the lake, just as Yoder did, as a place to cool off. They swim in it; boat, water-ski and jet-ski on it; and sun on its beaches. The beaches don't permit nudity, but Yoder can't have been the first swimmer to go au naturel. The lake is surrounded by kibbutzim, collective communities generally populated by ultra-secular, liberal Israelis.

Yoder didn't use great judgment when he got naked in the presence of colleagues (he says it was dark and he wasn't near anyone), but his detractors ought to stop acting as if he streaked through the Vatican."

o

All true Elvis but not everyone cares what body of water he decided to show his short comings in.

The bottom line is the area is a crowded tourist spot filled with families, vacationing Israeli's and foreigners, religious pilgrims visiting the Holyland,... August is high tourist season and the shores are packed around TIberias so even at night there are many people out.. Here's the key: public nudity is illegal there.

As the writer stated I too am sure many a soul has taken to trying to swim or walk on the sea naked and / or drunk and few care, but none of them were a U.S. Congressman on a "fact-finding" mission. This one was. He should have kept his clothes on or walked to his hotel (nearby) to get a suit like the others. He wasn't on vacation. He met with government officials.

He broke the law.

o

I won't argue with any of that. That's not the point, and everyone (well, maybe not the gals from PA) knows that. "One upping" each other about who's got the most sleazy public figures on their side is so petty and pointless and never-ending. But maybe that's the point; endless sniping is apparently very entertaining. There are so many who are so good at it.

Ever notice how threads die quicklly when there's no sniping? Just ask Labrea.

o

Another jackass state rep. A DFL candidate from Duluth is pretty much a no brainer proposition. These Teflon-coated politicians can only lose when caught with a live boy or a dead girl.

Guess which one factors in here.

o

Another inane post by the master.

So what is the point Elvis? IMO the point is that congressmen are not above the law and shouldn't be an embarassement when they represent us overseas.

o

Posted by epiphyticlvr 10 (My Page) on Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 10:58

"IMO the point is that congressmen are not above the law and shouldn't be an embarassement when they represent us overseas."

Okay. That's a fine point, epi. I'm good with that; why wouldn't I be? Especially on a fact finding mission; he's supposed to be working.

This is what I find objectionable:

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 12:08

"The GOP played the Weiner story ad nauseum, but crickets on their naked guy swimming in a sacred sea with others present. Just gets a pass."

That's pointless.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here