Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
July is the hottest month ever in US

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 14:30

No surprise here as I swelter thru another day in the 90's with high humidity. 2/3 of the country is in severe drought. This broke the dust bowl record going back to the 30's.

How do you like that... you climate change flatearthers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: July is the hottest month ever in US

I think it has more to do with the hot air coming from your politicians than it does with climate change ;)

o

And you know it is hotter north of me (like Pennsylvania) than it is in Georgia!

o

Yes it has been a miserable summer. Living in a temperate zone is why I enjoyed living in Pa. Not to be able to sit out in the evening and enjoy the breeze.

I usually entertain a lot in the Summer. Cookout, movie night, neighbor get togethers. I have not had one entertainment night. All I wanted to do was sit under the air and complain.

o

I think the situation is finally getting so bad that the right is starting to realize the jig is up and that people (even staunch conservatives) suffering through extreme weather, prolonged annual 3-digit temperatures, fires, and drought are in no mood for this ridiculous anti-climate change charade while they are watching their house burn or their crops turn to dust.

o

They realized it ages ago just the sap mouth breathers repeating the litany of the damned

o

We built a house April-July and I tell you, it's been a major battle keeping the sod, landscape and trees alive.

And then they hit us with watering bans except Monday & Wed...Ouch.

I planted a 100' row of Ninebark along the creek and the deer have eaten them to less than a foot tall. I won't be thinning them anytime soon.

o

I don't know what the temperature is here, but it feels like standing on the sun!

o

Another night time walk with the dogs. This is getting SO old.

o

The heat finally broke today here. Yesterday, 97. Today and the rest of the week, low 80s.

o

Speaking of walking the dogs....the other day I had to walk my dogs early because we were going out that evening. We were on our walk and all of a sudden my dog sits down in the street and starts rocking from one foot to the other. It took half a second to realize that her paws were being burned by the hot pavement! I immediately placed her on the grass and walked her home over our neighbors' front lawns. When I got home I rubbed aloe on her pads. So please be careful when you are walking your dog in this weather!!! It's really rough on their tootsies.

o

What's the count, VK?

Right around when we reach GW thread number one will probably be the end of the grid and the internet.

o

JZ..that's one reason I walk in the night when it's so hot. I noticed my Dachshund would head for the grass strip sometimes and realized it was very warm on the sidewalk. He wasn't burned, but it must have been uncomfortable.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 17:04

This would be thread # 95 PN!
It's been hard just to get up the courage to go outside and tend to the garden. Fall crops will go in about 10 days from now, glad to see this summer close out soon.
KT, not too worry about the GW deniers, winter is coming and it will snow somewhere.

o

Oooyyyyy, it's sooo humid! Just wait till December, and y'all be able to walk the dog, barbeque, sit out on the porch, etc.. In the meantime, stop kvetching already! No global warming here, move on. It's all sunspots and cycles and other happy horse poop.

o

YES HUMID! It sure is and looks like it's ready to storm again right now & break the stems on the rest of my Cardinal Lobelias. They were all flopped in the dirt after the last patch of thunder boomers.
I like my sunspots sometime I can tell my fortune by the ones on the back of my hand!

o

Been pretty mild up here. :-)

Stirring the pot, but nonetheless true.

We were on our walk and all of a sudden my dog sits down in the street and starts rocking from one foot to the other. It took half a second to realize that her paws were being burned by the hot pavement!

One of the rescues I have on my Facebook page, back about 2 months ago posted pics of what can happen to the pads on a dog's paws if walked on hot pavement for too long. it wasn't anything I'd ever want to have happen to a dog.

o

GW has been very kind here--sorry! I expect it will get too warm someday, but right now it's nice.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 18:59

How hot is it? I came out of the "make room" today and you would have thought I took a shower in my clothes, had to literally peel my jeans off when I got home and hang them in the bathroom to dry. Think of the heat and then sitting in a sauna all day, that is what my job is like.

May I have some cheese with my whine please :)

o

I'm completely unused to summer humidity, we typically are in the teens in relative humidity now. Today the RH is over 60%. Just biked to the cliffs to look for the blue whales that have started becoming regulars in SoCal waters (a definite result of warmer currents, as are the sunfish, minkes and fin whales showing up here in August) and I'm on the verge of acute hypotension. I just can't handle exercising without evaporative cooling, which I've depended on forever in SoCal. I just did not get enough electrolytes in me today, so I sweated and sweated and only put back in water, which is dumb.

Now I'll spend the rest of the day wiped out, chugging juices and iced tea to get my bp back up. Saw no whales either. I've gotta learn to be smarter about my exercise routines now, my instincts and habits aren't getting it done lately. Can't plant anything that gets powdery mildew either, cucurbitae are now on my "don't bother" list, bananas and mangoes back on "hmmm, why not" list. Sweet potatoes are my new crop of choice.

o

I'm completely unused to summer humidity

Usually if there is higher humidity, it's due to the marine layer and it's cool.

I'm a wreck in the heat and humidity, although many of the plants are in their glory when it happens. The iochroma is almost up to the second story roof, and the plectranthus barbatus seems to be visibly growing each day.

o

There are hazards to going out late too - snakes. We've seen more snakes moving closer to houses due to the drought following prey that are moving in closer to water & food (yards, bird bath, and bird feeders). Even folks in town walking their dogs on well-lighted streets have had their dogs snake bitten and sometimes killed.

I've killed two copperheads in my yard near the bird bath going after frogs. My dogs Jasmine and Bennie (two Lab-Chow siblings dumped at the end of my driveway last April when they were pups) discovered them and barked so I found them at night. I don't usually kill snakes but these were too close to me and the dogs.

I've been having my dogs sleep in the house every night since. Three nights ago at dusk I went to check on them after seeing them 30 minutes earlier and found Jasmine in shock leaning against the porch railing with a swollen front leg. I quickly got her on benadryl and laid her down to keep her calm. She responded well and when I was able to see the vet early the next day, the swelling had gone down. She must have gotten less than a full injection of venom.

Jasmine was probably circling and barking at a snake she found and got bite. Be careful walking your dogs at night.

o

Its cooled of beautifully here , 24 C , light breeze , lovely sun cloud mix. More rain would certainly be welcome though. Just had a huge sun bed dug with the intention of planting a wildflower meadow.....with a few perennial ringers....so here's hoping the cooler trend holds.

o

Here in Kansas, we have been triple-digit heat almost every day all summer, but tomorrow the temps are dropping down to 95 and then down to around 89-90 for the next 10 days. Veritable cold wave! Now if a bit of rain would come along also . . . .

I really hope this is not a foretaste of what to expect in future summers. I've been hanging around the AC so much that I'm starting to go stir-crazy!

Kate

o

"I've been hanging around the AC so much that I'm starting to go stir-crazy!"

Sounds expensive. We don't have/need AC. What we spend for winter heat probably makes up the difference, though. If it's not one thing, it's another.

o

Well it's been a pretty nice summer here in Mass. We have a few days over 90F and then it goes back to 80s during the day and 60s at night. I have only had the A/C on for a half day or so on 2 separate days. We had a dry spell in July (3-4 weeks) but now it is raining regularly again, which is very wonderful.

I think that GW may bode well for some zone 4 and 5'ers. Winter is more than welcome to become milder, and summers are still great (so far)!

Drought is a terrible thing, and I feel bad for those living unders those conditions, but I wouldn't be surprised if the current drought is a portent of things to come. Here in the US we are extremely wasteful of precious natural resources and act like they are infinite when they are not. Oil or water or whatever, the well is going to eventually run dry.

o

The high heat/humidity is definitely by far the most physically uncomfortable to me. But sitting in fog day after day, when I know the sun is blazing 6 miles inland, messes with my head. I'll take 110 F and 10% humidity over 65 F & 90% humidity in summer, just my metabolism, I guess.

o

It has been relatively mild down here on the west coast of Florida. In the low nineties...which for Florida in August is really, really good.

I actually did see a snake when we were on our evening walk this evening...a black racer. I also saw a dead snake on our walk a few days ago which I think may have been a pygmy rattler. So the snakes are definitely coming out!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 23:32

Oh when those snakes
Come marching in...

o

I have never seen a snake of any kind in my 30 years of living here. When I walked the dogs after 10PM it was still 82 and humid but better than the 92 in the afternoon. I can say for certain that I will be outside more in the winter than I was this summer. Since my many many pots, urns, and hanging baskets of impatiens all got some kind of fungus, I yanked them and have pots of dirt sitting around where there are usually flowers till almost November. So it's depressing to be outside and even the dogs want the AC. I told my husband I didn't care what the electric bill was, I am not going to live in heat. It only went up $45 to $168. I thought it would double because they have been running almost non stop since June. I think we had 35 days of 90 or above and some over 100. Made plans with a friend to have our dogs play today,but had to cancel because neither of us want to be outside.

o

I have never seen a snake of any kind in my 30 years of living here. When I walked the dogs after 10PM it was still 82 and humid but better than the 92 in the afternoon. I can say for certain that I will be outside more in the winter than I was this summer. Since my many many pots, urns, and hanging baskets of impatiens all got some kind of fungus, I yanked them and have pots of dirt sitting around where there are usually flowers till almost November. So it's depressing to be outside and even the dogs want the AC. I told my husband I didn't care what the electric bill was, I am not going to live in heat. It only went up $45 to $168. I thought it would double because they have been running almost non stop since June. I think we had 35 days of 90 or above and some over 100. Made plans with a friend to have our dogs play today,but had to cancel because neither of us want to be outside.

o

Indeed, eastern MA has had a pretty decent summer compared to the continental inferno. Always we have high humidity, which one simply gets used to if the body is not being continually messed with by artificial cooling.

o

And the UK has been cold and wet, with one result being that they are importing fruit/veg that is normally home grown but which couldn't grow this year.

o

Right now, 74. Forecast for tomorrow's high is 75, for saturday, 73, and for Sunday after the rain lets up (starting tonight), it'll be 81.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 17:53

Va faired better than most states though we also set a new state record for hottest July ever. Drought conditions here too but not extreme. Summer veggies look to be ending earlier than normal, late blight on tomatoes has been rare here but not this year. Less pests but more disease. It's a pain to just harvest what's left, and forget the weeds in this heat. Without the deep well all the summer veggies would be total toast. Fall crops get planted in 10-15 daze....

o

Another sweltering walk at 90 degree temps. A front is supposed to go thru over the weekend. I'll believe it when I see it. I can't remember what cool weather feels like. Worse summer of MY life..weather -wise, although my tomato crop is spectacular.

o

Bill_vincent, in the rest of the US, those are lovernight lows. :)

o

They'll shut off the irrigation water 45 days early, the reservoir is the lowest its been in 9 years.

If we get another bad snow year, look out.

o

SoCal beaches may be well into the 80s by the weekend.

That's considered a heat spell around here.

o

61.2 F right here; 50's tonight then into the lower 70's manana. Brrrr.

Oasis, was that a typo? Either way, "lovernight" is a wonderful word to describe a chilly night, perfect for cuddling.

;D

o

Yeah, but she meant lovernights that are hot!! That might be a good thing too. 8-p

o

I wore a shirt with sleeves last weekend for the first time in a long, long time. I'm wearing shirt with sleeves now, and may be able to for the entire next week. It feels so good to not be exhausted from heat all of the time.

o

When I woke up this morning it was 59 and raining. One of our house guests said they were freezing.

o

Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 8:58

Rain the last two days ... temps have dropped into the 70's. Not saying that the heat was not oppressive but I am glad I got rid of my A/C, my electric bill was low this summer :)

o

We've had rain the last few days, too. Was only 56 when I got up this AM. But the sun's out so we should get into the 70's. My annual flowers did pretty well all season, but seem to be on steroids now. One of my neighbor's maples is starting to show a little color already.

Had a waterspout yesterday morning; didn't think Superior water was warmer than the air. Saw an unusual cloud shelf from my computer spot here, but nothing else. The pictures in the paper this morning confirmed it.

o

Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 10:13

The trees here have really suffered, the dogwood outside my window started dropping it's leaves the beginning of July and looks like it would in Fall instead of the middle of summer. None of the yards have much in the way of blooming flowers, everything is burned up.

The rain and cooler temps are welcome as I have been putting up food for winter and the kitchen (cook) will get some relief :)

o

"NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, updating its forecast, said today that this year's Atlantic hurricane season is likely to be above average.

"It takes a whole set of conditions to produce a hurricane and right now, that whole set of conditions is favorable," said Gerry Bell, the center's lead seasonal hurricane forecaster.

The center said it was now predicting there would be 12 to 17 named storms, 5 to 8 of them hurricanes. It raised the numbers partly because of the number of storms we have already seen this year.

"This year's Atlantic hurricane season got off to a busy start, with 6 named storms to date," said NOAA in a statement. "The updated outlook still indicates a 50 percent chance of a near-normal season, but increases the chance of an above-normal season to 35 percent." / snip

Just what we need......

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

We've had heat-advisories issued these last few days. But unlike "snow days", the kids still have to go to school. ;-)

Our pool is like a bathtub! And my daughter almost burned her fingertips reaching for the car door handle.

My cacti are wilting and I am now having to water them. Very few of them would actually die without the extra water, but I don't like the way they look without it.

o

Still hot and muggy here and just a drizzle. I love winter and in my bedroom I actually have one window open all year, except when it's below 20 outside. I love fresh air. This summer my bedroom has been shut up tight as a drum,all five windows closed and blinds pulled down. It's pitch black in there..like a tomb. Every year all windows are opened to let light , breezes and birdsong in but the only sound in there is the AC working at full tilt. I hate summer.

o

I'm loving this summer. We've had enough rain to keep the garden producing everything I planted without supplemental watering. I do come in more often to cool down and suck down a brew. Weeds are on steroids, so my scuffle hoe never has a idle day. My companions on the walking trail are complaining about the grass growth and the need to mow every week.
I despise cold weather! Plans are laid to backpack Central America the month of February, which will eliminate being here during the worst month of the year. I should come back early March, just in time to till in my cover crops.
I do feel bad for those suffering in the heat.

o

We've had temps hovering around 100F for some days now at home with today possibly reaching 105F. Fairly dry heat, so not too bad. However, at the Farm near the coastline temps have been in the high 70's to low 80's with some humidity, so more uncomfortable.

The summer crops are loving it but lettuces and greens are bolting and otherwise unhappy.

o

We are getting ready to start planting fall crops but the temps will have to go down at least ten degrees or the spinach will not be happy.

o

Supposed to be a change in the air-mass sunday night, the cooler drier air will probably even reach the mid-atlantic. I don't think that will make July not the hottest month in recorded history, though....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here