A PERSISTENT UPPER LEVEL RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE REMAINS THE DOMINANT
WEATHER FEATURE ACROSS TEXAS. A WEAK DISTURBANCE TRIGGERED SCATTERED
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ON SATURDAY AND AGAIN SUNDAY...BUT
WIDESPREAD RAIN ONCE AGAIN ELUDED SOUTHEAST TEXAS. THE UPPER LEVEL
RIDGE HAS SUPPRESSED RAIN CHANCES AND BROUGHT INTENSE HEAT TO THE
REGION. THERE ARE SEVERAL COMMUNITIES IN SOUTHEAST TEXAS THAT ARE
SUFFERING RAINFALL DEFICITS BETWEEN 30 AND 35 INCHES SINCE OCTOBER
1ST 2010. THE HEAVIEST RAINFALL TOTAL REPORTED SO FAR IN AUGUST WAS
2.33 INCHES AND THAT OCCURRED IN SOMERVILLE.

THE CITY OF HOUSTON AND COLLEGE STATION HAVE REACHED 100 DEGREES
EVERY DAY IN AUGUST. IT WAS ONLY A YEAR AGO (AUGUST 2010) THAT THE
FOUR PRIMARY CLIMATE SITES RECORDED THEIR WARMEST AVERAGE MONTHLY
TEMPERATURE. THE RECORD WILL BE SHORT LIVED. AUGUST 2011 WILL
CRUSH...SMASH...OBLITERATE...DESTROY AND ANNIHILATE THE PREVIOUS
WARMEST AVERAGE MONTHLY TEMPERATURE BY AT LEAST 2.0 DEGREES AND IN A
FEW LOCATIONS BY 3.0 DEGREES.

THE CITY OF HOUSTON...HOUSTON HOBBY AND COLLEGE STATION ARE
CURRENTLY ENDURING THEIR WARMEST YEAR TO DATE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE IN
WEATHER HISTORY. THE CITY OF HOUSTON AND HOUSTON HOBBY ARE ALSO
REPORTING THEIR DRIEST YEAR TO DATE RAINFALL. COLLEGE STATION AND
GALVESTON ARE REPORTING THEIR SECOND DRIEST YEAR TO DATE RAINFALL.

I dunno if this link will stand, it being the weather statement for the region, the page is likely, as here, to be updated 2X a day.

My point? These guys should be fired, NOAA abolished, because you can see their slanting their reports like Al Gore told them to.

Those prayers didn't seem to work so good

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another example of extremist NOAA pseudo-scientists

Imagine that... and I thought the fundamentalists had it all under control, what with all the prayers and everything... perhaps Maxter would like to explain the workings behind those prayers, and why Texas, and the entire Midwest, have experienced the warmest year on record... sending quite a few species of flora into death throes due to heat stress. Or... maybe not.

o

I think we better get our act together. NASA scientist are sending us a warning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

My point? These guys should be fired, NOAA abolished, because you can see their slanting their reports like Al Gore told them to.

Reality has a well-known lib'rull bias.

Dan

o
So that's where they get it.

No, NASA Did Not Release A Study On Aliens And Global Warming

Fox News covered the paper twice this morning and aired the following on-screen text:

o

Good grief, jodik. Okay, I'll help you out, as you seemed to have missed it in the OP. As mentioned in the OP, a high pressure system is causing the heat wave. Just like in 1980, (and regardless of what you read) local reports say that we haven't reached the 1980 or 1930's level of heat or drought. Just like in 1980, it will take a hurricane to kill the high pressure system, if it continues. What caused the high pressure system? Read this link and pay attention. Yes, this should lead to an active hurricane season with powerful hurricanes...like in 1980. I'm sure most will be screaming about climate changing hurricanes soon enough. Can't wait.

LOL Mrskjun! Good find! :-)

Weather isn't pseudoscience, David. A global climate? Riiiiight.

From NASA scientists in lenams link

"Green" aliens might object to the environmental damage humans have caused on Earth and wipe us out to save the planet. "These scenarios give us reason to limit our growth and reduce our impact on global ecosystems. It would be particularly important for us to limit our emissions of greenhouse gases, since atmospheric composition can be observed from other planets," the authors write.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to NASA for jodik

o

Lena, do you think that 'aliens' link was gullibility or purposeful dissembling - yet again, a pattern - to spam the thread?

Dan

o
little green men

They were serious, dan. Otherwise, they would have said "little green men". No, they actually believe that green aliens will destroy mankind due to a few ppm's of CO2. Fascinating!

o

One presumes the person providing the 'NASA scientist' link was duped, judging by the lack of defense of the link.

Dan

o

I'm guessing Mrskjun just forgot to type "LOL".

o

lenam, read the PDF file, I lol'd a lot. So we are supposed to listen to these guys about anything?

o
RE:Another example of extremist NOAA pseudo-scientists

And who precisely are "these guys" we are not supposed to listen to?

o

The media, Lena, who dupe their listeners into believing alien stories. That's clearly who mrs is talking about.

Dan

o

• Posted by lenam not 10 - yet! (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 10:45

THAT must be it.

I couldn't imagine "these people" referred to a single postdoc among the 19,000 people employed by NASA who happened to publish an amusing article.

No one could possibly believe ALL the Faux Noise lies.

Indeed the report is not NASA research. Shawn Domagal-Goldman, the co-author of the paper who works at NASA, wrote yesterday:

This isn't a "NASA report." It's not work funded by NASA, nor is it work supported by NASA in other ways. It was just a fun paper written by a few friends, one of whom happens to have a NASA affiliation.

[...]

Yes, I work at NASA. It's also true that I work at NASA Headquarters. But I am not a civil servant... just a lowly postdoc. More importantly, this paper has nothing to do with my work there. I wasn't funded for it, nor did I spend any of my time at work or any resources provided to me by NASA to participate in this effort. There are at least a hundred more important and urgent things to be done on any given work day than speculate on the different scenarios for contact with alien civilizations... However, in my free time (what precious little I have), I didn't mind working on stuff like this every once in a while. Why? Well, because I'm a geek and stuff like this is fun to think about.

Meanwhile back at Faux Noise:

Here is a link that might be useful: Right-wing media forward conspiracy theory that NASA, NOAA manipulate climate data

o

Meanwhile Faux News sells more advertising from people tuning in and the Guardian sells more newspapers and everybody is happy. Who cares if the article is a satire? As long as it keeps the news outlets in the black and the far right satisfied that the government is screwing them over just like they suspected.

o

You won't convince people who sincerely believe that thousands of world scientists have joined together to perpetuate a tax-raising fraud called global climate change to take away our freedoms.

In a boredom combatting effort, a different country and decades ago, I once wrote a lengthy scientific paper on the growth, health, and over-all well being of farmed fish exposed to pond-side nightclubs and spilled champagne. The paper was surprisingly popular, photocopied and widely distributed among the rural research set.

o

Snicker.

I've seen this featured on science denier blogs back then, labeled "interesting!" I kid you not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flying Objects.

o

Deflection won't work. It is a FACT that a scientist who works at NASA, as well as "colleagues at Pennsylvania State University" wrote that paper. They just didn't write it "for NASA."

One of the possible scenarios these geniuses considered was that space aliens might do a preemptive strike on earthlings in order to save our planet.

These guys missed their calling. They should be writing comic books.

o

They just did. But you took it seriously.

o

Lack of humor gene.

I once wrote a major seminar paper on the history of globe making in the English colonies including creative research archival materials and publications. I proved that decades earlier than currently believed, geographical globes were being make outside of Princeton University in the early 18th century at a popular bordello frequented by students of that esteemed university.

I came close to being thrown out of the university for that bit of creativity.

o

I love that kind of humor. Just close enough to plausibility to make you scratch your head, then grin. "Onion" humor.

o

It is a FACT that a scientist who works at NASA, as well as "colleagues at Pennsylvania State University" wrote that paper.

It may be a FACT on your planet, but not here in reality where humanity lives. Here on our planet, you don't get your own facts.

snicker

It was just a fun paper written by a few friends, one of whom happens to have a NASA affiliation.

...Yes, I work at NASA. It's also true that I work at NASA Headquarters. But I am not a civil servant...just a lowly postdoc...But I do admit to making a horrible mistake. It was an honest one, and a naive one...but it was a mistake nonetheless. I should not have listed my affiliation as "NASA Headquarters." I did so because that is my current academic affiliation.

Dan

o

They just did. But you took it seriously.

We could do an informal survey and see who accepts the spoof as fact and if they also like to use WorldNetDaily or Canada Free Press as a source.

Remember those who thought Monbiot's satirical 'confession' re Climategate was a serious admission of guilt?

o

Oh good grief. Aren't scientists allowed a sense of Humour? There is a book on Organic Chemistry that is the Bible of college organic-written by Morrison and Boyd that is full of dumb jokes-the most famous being about Enantiomers-everything has a mirror image-except of course Vampires... hopelessly geeky. So this man is now expected to grovel because he gilded the joke with the fact that he worked for Nasa not realizing the world is filled with humourless tedious people who will snatch at any straw to discredit science?

o

Even corrected information by the person who wrote the article won't put the issue to rest now. Once the faux information enters into the brain of the wingnut, it never can leave - it's one way in there.

o
Too clever by half - or just bored

Primary scientific literature sneaks much more humor in than the textbooks get by with.

Acknowledgments crediting John Dewar's & sons, little cartoons hidden in the figures, the first letter of every paragraph spelling out an insult to the competition. Many, many inside jokes.

Therefore we must reject all science and go back to the inerrant word of our Koch overlords.

o

What kind of person would fantasize about such an encounter, document it and publish it? Shows where his mind is at. Yes, I watched that same episode of star trek a few weeks ago but my mind never wondered off into CO2 fantasies. Time to clean house at NASA.

o

cool NOAA map of Antarctic ice flows.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to NOAA video site

o

No, not NOAA. A NASA funded research group from the university of cal. showing an animation from data received. Tax payer money at work. What happened to spending that money on space research?

Still, kinda cool. I've seen better.

o

What kind of person would fantasize about such an encounter, document it and publish it?

Let's just say I'd rather invite that guy to a dinner party than you.

o

I agree, that guy is on my A List. Maxter is on a list managed by certain natural fossil fuel interests.

o

Reality has a well-known lib'rull bias.

At the last company before I retired there was this young man who was apparently brilliant at what he did. We both worked in IS...I mantained servers and he was a programmer, so I had very little contact with him. The software developers said he was their best programmer by far. The problem was, he had zero people skills. Fortunately I only had to deal with him once or twice. My perception of him was someone with a very "flat" personality who took everything one said either literally and/or personally. Well, I guess for his coworkers who had to work with him daily, it was hell. I think they finally let him go after 10-12 months because of conflicts with coworkers.

So getting back to this post...I get David's original post and understand why and how he phrased it with his title. Reading through the thread, I think most got it too. But there are always going to be those "flat" landers...

-Ron-

o

I would give his performance a zero. Just another "we can't let "them" know we're here" story with a green bent. Geek? No. Nerd is the word. CO2 is the enemy. With that being said, I'm sure he would be a hit at your parties. :-)

o

"It may be a FACT on your planet, but not here in reality where humanity lives. Here on our planet, you don't get your own facts."

My facts come from the author himself. If you wish to dispute them, take it up with him. You can reach him at NASA. Where he works.

o

You can reach him at NASA. Where he works.

I already quoted the passage for you what he does. You may want to read it.

Thaaaaaanks!!!!!!!!!!!! *heart*

Dan

o

"I already quoted the passage for you what he does."

Yep. You did. But he still works at NASA.

o

He's a postdoc.

That's what he is doing. Postdoc work. He's not a NASA scientist. He could be anywhere. The imprimatur of NASA is not there. He just happens to be doing postdoc work there. Nothing to do with NASA. No there there.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here