Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ANOTHER shooting?

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 16:00

This time by Texas A&M. What the heck?!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: from CNN's website

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ANOTHER shooting?

Still nothing wrong with having guns ... I think I'll have to duck and run for cover now.

o

esh,
I gotta say, I think saying we shouldn't have guns is akin to we shouldn't have abortions. Just cause you take the right away (which is fully unconstitutional), doesn't make guns disappear. And I hate, despise, detest, abhor, can't find a strong enough word--guns. They are only made to hurt and kill. Pandora's box is now open. I'm not wild about only a few having the guns and none of the good guys having them...

That said, what the heck is going on? Sheesh! Enough already.

o

Guess three isn't a big enough number....getting no more than "banner" news headings.

o

One is too many. I guess I'm just fed up. Maybe I'll become a hermit in the South Pacifc on a deserted isle. heavy sigh

o

I'm not saying take the right away. But I think that perhaps some of the regulations should be tightened.

Don't know the details here, of course. But there just seems to be a lot of this going around. This does sound more like a residential shooting, not one associated with a person going in and shooting a bunch of people.

But there is mention of an automatic weapon being used.

o

Rob, don't do that you and your perspective would be missed. You are still on my bucket list but I'm worried I could not find you somewhere out in the South Pacific! ;)

o

Details are sketchy - seems the dead are a police officer, unnamed civilian, and the shooter.

o

Possibility the sheriff was attempting an eviction, so possibly someone being foreclosed on who lost it and killed the agent of enforcement and disenfranchisement.

Wouldn't that make it the fault of the greedy and unethical lender?

o

What is wrong with our society that people feel they can use the gun that they have on people like this? A guy thatcould have been just doing his job.

The American attitude towards guns has gone all wonky.

o

"This does sound more like a residential shooting, not one associated with a person going in and shooting a bunch of people." And that makes it better or OK???

o

It doesn't make it either. But it makes it different - different from someone acting out in rage and planning an assault on a group of people in a public place.

It is still likely an act of rage against a stranger with a gun.

o

It was a guy getting evicted. The cop he shot was the one serving him the eviction papers. Not sure why he shot the civilian, IF it was deliberate. I have a feeling from what I've read that someone was in the wrong place at the wrong time, just as this guy got into a fire fight with the police.

o

The UCI professor who planned to kill 200+ students but was recently arrested was pretty freaky. Colleges are becoming danger zones way too often lately.

o

Rob, I think those with the enormous bucks bought up all the real estate on those balmy pacific islands (or the islands, themselves) and you have to have big bucks in order to spend even a few nights on one. Get comfy where you are *LOL*

I have always been strongly supportive of the second amendment - for the right to privately own certain firearms (not necessarily to bear them, but certainly to own them as does DH and myself) but I'm also beginning to get and agree with Ink's valid point.

A gun doesn't kill people - but the easy avaliability of guns to the vast majority of people in this country has directly caused many people in this country to die who would, right now at this very minute, be alive and well but not for that easy avaliability to the child, mentally ill, temporarily insane, criminal or really, really angry/scared. Even gun violence by accident.

But not for the easy availability of the firearm, the moment of high emotion and tension would have passed, as those moments tend to do, and most of those people dead by gunfire would be alive and well today.

I don't think we can really effectively argue that point any longer. It's simply fact. Gun violence is greater by far by percentage in this country than in any other democratic country.

If we continue to insist upon the second amendment as legal, I just don't know what can be done about violence by firearm, I don't know that there is any good fix to reasonably address the problem.

I do believe that if gun owers want to always insure that they be allowed to legally and relatively freely own guns, they need to gather in an organized force, shun the NRA to the point where the NRA no longer gets any money/power because the membership has fled - and begin *themselves* to seriously address the issue of gun violence and what can be done to dramtically and quickly lower it in order to keep the second amendment as one the vast majority of voters will continue to support.

If they don't do something about the problem of violence by gun for themselves, I suspect that sometime within the next 30 years it will be done for them, constitution amendment or not.

Nothing is necessarily forever, nothing is written in stone, including the continued support for the second amendment.

JMO

o

Why does anyone think this shooting is related to the school? It was NEAR the campus not on campus. Nothing I have read has identified the shooter as a student or part of the faculty or even an employee. It took place in a residential area.

This is lazy and very misleading reporting. Really, it is just plain bad.

o

We had a similar thing on our campus a couple of years ago when I was attending sleepless. It was two years after Virgina Tech massacre and there was a man spotted with a gun, message went out on the emergency alert system via phones, and then lockdown on the Student Center. All the students went home except us! We were there for a terrorism class. To the extent that the guy in my group was a Marine acclimating to civilian life. He was ready to hunt down the dude, while I was perfectly happy to sit in our concrete surrounded room. Why did we still have class? We'd just made it there and our prof was a police captain. We knew we were safer there than leaving. Guy got away, but in the meantime, hullaaaaabaallloooo! This is the report from a local news station that went out over the news (and ended up on a thread where people were trying to find out whether to leave or not):

Witnesses Report Seeing Man With Gun On MTSU Campus
Posted: March 23, 2009 05:42 PM CDT, Updated: March 23, 2009 06:13 PM CDT

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Police have responded to the MTSU campus after reports that a man with a gun was seen entering a building.

Witnesses reported seeing the man running into the Keathley University Center (KUC) around 5:20 p.m. Monday. The building was being evacuated.

A text message went out to student around 5:30 p.m., saying "Man with a gun seen entering KUC. Evacuate KUC or secure in place."

The man was described as a college-age black male, 5 feet 8 inches tall and 175 pounds. He has dark hair and was reported wearing a gray shirt, blue jeans and was heavily tattooed.

Officials said the man was seen driving a dark-colored Chevy Impala with a Tennessee license plate. Police had information that the man may live in the Nottingham Apartments just off campus on Greenland Drive.

Officers with the MTSU Police Department responded on scene to secure the area.

NewsChannel 5's Brent Frazier is on scene and talking to police in Murfreesboro. Stay with NewsChannel 5 and newschannel5.com for updates as soon as they become available.

o

Want a real wake up call? Listen to a news channel that reports on the eastern seaboard. The boroughs of New York, alone, not including Jersey or other largely populated areas, experience at least 3 senseless shootings per day... whether gang related, someone caught in the crossfire, or people just fed up with poverty and the local or state govt agencies doing nothing productive to help.

You can only take so much as a functioning human being... everyone has a breaking point, wherein they cease to care out of desperation. And while some of us are strong enough to weather tough times, others are not built that way.

Without employment, crime rises. It's, quite frankly, to be expected in today's messed up, mixed up society.

Maybe, just maybe, if we weren't such a war driven, greedy nation, we wouldn't see some of the things we see.

o

jodik,

you always put it into perspective. Truly, I think you're right. It is on the rise, but it shouldn't have been a surprise.

o

Absolutely it is tied to the economy. My city that in normal times had the lowest crime rate is changing. The News reporter last night commented on the crime rise and they are puzzled. We are experiencing robberies, murder in communities that have not had these types of crimes in 20 years.

When you consider extending Unemployment there are many against this idea. But the same people would not be happy if they were a object of being the next victim of the decision of not extending a hand when needed.

o

His stepfather says they were afraid of him - afraid he'd come over and hurt THEM. And still no one thought to take away his gun.

Thomas "Tres" Caffall, the man who police say killed two people--including a Texas constable--in a shooting near the Texas A&M University campus on Monday was a "ticking time bomb," his stepfather says.

"He was crazy as hell," Richard Weaver, Caffall's stepfather, told KPRC-TV. "At one point, we were afraid that he was going to come up here and do something to his mother and me."

We need to do a better job in this country of getting guns away from people that are showing signs of problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

that is very true esh. Wonder how much it would take to "prove" that though? That's the part I don't understand (as a mother). And I understand (as an ordinary citizen).

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 14:51

Another senseless shooting and three deaths. How awful.

o

"The News reporter last night commented on the crime rise and they are puzzled."

There's nothing puzzling about the rise in crime rates, about the desperation people are feeling, about the depressing news we see daily, and all the social ills we see getting worse... such as gang activity, drug and alcohol abuse, poverty, fighting, anger, human depression, the indignities suffered... and the list goes on.

When ethics and empathy are lacking, this is the normal course in change of events. Moral bankruptcy is rising, and a lot of it wears a cloak loosely worn of cherry picked religious and political ideas, the twain of which should never intermingle.

I'm an atheist, and I'm still asking myself amidst all that goes on in this world, where is the message Jesus supposedly brought to the people? It was fairly simple and straightforward. If someone like me can remember that we need to treat others as we'd like to be treated, how is it that so many can't seem to recall and use this in daily life?

We were, at one time, a fairly decent and large nation with a good head on our shoulders. Today, we're not only the laughing stock of the globe, we're a complete farce. We aren't spreading good will and democracy... we're spreading hate and division, greed and discrimination, and we're raping and pillaging the planet and its peoples and other resources along the way!

I'm fairly certain that Jesus would not be thrilled with what we stand for today. And while I'm not a believer in a god, I can see that a man like Jesus may have been an actual human being who tried very hard to spread good within his day... to remind people that peace and love and empathy and ethics were all good things to believe in and stand for.

Without a code of honor, what is a human being?

The whole concept of being decent seems to have escaped so many in the rush to die with the most everything.

o

Perhaps then, you agree with the billboards being put up in time for the Democratic Convention? At the cost of $15,000. Seems to me that atheist organizations are more and more becoming like the sorry Westboro Church or the more fanatic cults that unfortunately get too much media attention.

Here is a link that might be useful: new billboards for convention attention

o

They are coming to take possession of your stuff..

Occupy Your Weapon!

o

I'm guessing most atheists don't belong to an "atheist organization". I personally don't feel the need to convince someone to give up their religion. I might make comments to help them think about their religion but I am not out to persuade people to "convert" to atheism.

o

Sleepless, you are confused.

There are a few loudmouth and ignorant atheist groups just like there are a few loudmouth and ignorant birthers groups, Sleepless.

Just as you shouldn't lump Jodi or any other atheist in this forum with that nutty religious group you linked us up to, we, in turn, won't lump you with the nutty birther crowd even though you aren't the least bit a democrat or Obama admirer, Sleepless.
Or, add for that matter, anyone who kisses their mate as being with or agreeing with the silly "Kiss in" crowd at the racist owner chicken sandwich shop , I might add. I was surprised at that one, it seemed beneath you since you yourself bemoan the lack of democratic objectiveness within this forum.

o

Mylab, in case you haven't noticed, those "few loudmouth and ignorant atheist groups" are showing more and more aggression. I personally don't want anything to do with people who act out against others that way but I do keep track. The vitriol encourages bad things to happen. See the link.

If you actually read what I wrote about the kiss-in, you might remember the Victoria paraphrase. Don't scare the horses. Some of those kissers felt full body contact, tongue-down-the-throat, groping was called for. That would offend me no matter who did it in public. It was promoted for the shock value and insult, not to show love, affection or commitment. It was strictly intended to scare the horses.

How does believing in traditional marriage relate to racism?

Here is a link that might be useful: Whose extremism?

o

I concur with Esh...

First of all, I don't even think there ARE organizations for atheists... and if there are, I've never heard of one. Being an atheist simply means I don't believe in the concept of a god or religious organizations. It has nothing to do with the moral standards I live by.

Why would someone who doesn't believe in a god or the concepts of religion be involved in a group? What would they band together for? To pray non-prayers to a non-god? That makes no sense.

I don't care what another person's religious views or affiliations are, or how they choose to express those views. All I care about is what type of person they are... decent or not.

What I'm saying is that there's really no big secret or puzzle to the concept that crime rates are rising... as someone once said here, it's the economy.

I think if people who said they were christian actually acted like christians, and remembered the very words Jesus gave to the people of his time, if he were a real person, then we would not be in such a great mess, and crime rates would not be rising.

Let me simplify it further... we all know what the Golden Rule is, right? 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'

If more people followed that one, single rule, this world would be a much better place. It's that simple.

o

I don't even think there ARE organizations for atheists...

There is in Southern California. I know of it - Atheists United - because they used to have a weekly 15-minute segment on an early morning public affairs program. That segment, and the "Communist Party On the Air," caused me to be late too many times; monotone deliveries and deadly boring discussions put me right back to sleep.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here