Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Infra Structure Oh Yes We DID

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 18:12

16 new tunnels were finished last week after 5 years of digging beneath Manhattan.

On Monday the 200-ton machine ground to a stop beneath a Long Island Rail Road line in Queens, having carved out one of four big new tunnels that will allow the railroad's trains to connect to Grand Central Terminal.

Meanwhile they still continue digging the 2nd Avenue Subway line which now extends as far as 96 ST

The milestone marks the end of tunneling for all MTA megaprojects: "Sixteen brand new, concrete-lined tunnels now exist under New York City where none did five years ago," said MTA Chairman Joseph J. Lhota. "The conclusion of tunnel boring reminds us that New Yorkers remain capable of great achievements."

The photos from the 2nd Avnue subway still under construction another great feat while so much of the nations infra structure rots.

Theres nothing we can't do as a nation now stop the BS & get on with it! The new links to Grand Central will take 30 minutes of LIRR commutes...thast whne the LIRR is running.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Infra Structure Oh Yes We DID

Scary beautiful. Quite impressive--to me, anyway. You New Yorkers are pretty motivated, huh? Thanks for sharing this; I had no idea.

o

Fascinating accomplishment!

I see a giant mutant scorpion lurking behind the rock wall.

o

That the city operates above all this with little interruption astounds me. The Number 7 train extensions drilled 7,000 feet of tunnel from 34 St & The Javits Convention Center North to 42 St across 42 St to Times Square. Having The LIRR being able to connect at Grand Central Terminal to Metro North will also be a great convenience for Commuters from the Northern Suburbs or Commuters from Long Island those Tunnels are 120 feet beneath Manhattan.

o

The world's biggest cities will of course hog the majority of new infrastructure resources.

Here is a question: will projects like that get done with power from pv panels or wind-towers?

o

Wouldn't that be grand?

o

This is awesome. Thinking big and doing big is what makes us a great country. I was reading today about Amtraks proposal to get Union Station in DC ready for high speed rail. Imagine 90 minutes between New York and DC. Heck I live 20 miles from NYC and the LIRR can take 45 minutes...

o

Pnbrown, the new "freedom tower" will have the world's first urban wind farm.

o

Yep the lions share will go to big cities. Ridership on just 2 of the lines affected is up by 25% which is the equivalent to the ridership of the entire Chicago transit system.

"Here is a question: will projects like that get done with power from pv panels or wind-towers?" I haven't a clue you might do some research and get back to us!
It will eliminate more cars from the city.

o

I think we all have a clue. Of course the answer is no. Construction projects are fantastically dense users of petroleum.

o

Oh that's bad!

o

Huh?

o

Yep the lions share will go to big cities

Over half the worlds population now lives in cities, and the number of cities with over a million people is now north of 350 - see link - and then we have the 'mega cities' with populations over 10 million - 27 of those. That high a concentration of people is going to require far more resources.

I live in one of the more sparsely populated areas of the country. When it comes to infrastructure, spending on per-capita must be pretty high. Just as an example, I took some out-of-the-way state highways from here to Grand Junction, a 250 mile drive, took 4 hours, and I doubt I saw 50 other cars the entire trip. I was counting, then got bored at around 30.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

No need for subways on the Cape or the vineyard. Goat & trap all the way?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here