Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why Don't you Answer The Question?

Posted by citywoman2012 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 19:05

I have noticed many times in post especially the posts that become very long and sometimes quite ugly, that some of us..... on both sides of the fence, just back out and stop contributing.

Sometimes then some posters will keep on and on not wanting to let it go.
Keep asking why one won't answer the question.

As I said , this happens from both sides.
Some might not agree with me but I find it very
commendable that some posters choose to not respond.

After finding myself in this situation a couple of times
I found I had made my own motto and was saying it outloud
before I took myself off.

My own thought:
I don't want to fight til death
I just want to spar.

Kenny Rogers :
Know when to hold um
Know when to fold um.
Know when to walk away.

So to sum it up....some posters are not answering because
they don't have an answer....but because they don't want to fight til death.

My respect to both sides for knowing when is enough.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why Don't you Answer The Question?

Agreed. Stating the obvious won't change the oblivious.

o
Re: Why Don't you Answer The Question?

A suggestion?

If people want to walk away from a discussion, for any reason, they could say so. On the thread where the discussion is taking place.

I think there is an understandable frustration when posters pose questions, or make comments, or express their opinions -- then walk away, without replying to the questions, comments and opinions of others.

While I don't disagree with Citywoman2012's OP on this thread -- and I do agree that everyone has the individual right to stop their participation, in any discussion -- it can be a rhetorical trick to leave a discussion after inflaming it.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone gets heated up about some issues, sometimes. Most of us need to step away from some discussions, sometimes, for our own good (or for the good of others.)

However, jumping into the pool to pee and than jumping out again, isn't what I call fair play. Or respectful of others.

My thoughts, I'm new here. Over to everyone else.

All the best,
-Patrick

o

Ooops, I meant to write "...and then jumping out again", above.

All the best,
-Patrick
(who makes mistakes, too) :)

o

sleepless true.
Patrick you are correct on all counts.

o

Posted by madmagic dtown Toronto (My Page) on Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 19:20

"However, jumping into the pool to pee and than jumping out again, isn't what I call fair play. Or respectful of others."

But in that situation, nobody knows what you just did to the pool--except you. Sort of like letting loose a "silent but deadly" in a crowded elevator...like posting a giant snark anonymously.

Not the same at all.

I understand where City is coming from; it's hard to just stop sometimes, but it can be the best course of action, IMO. Like Sleepless said.

o

some posters are not answering because they don't have an answer

But some of them DON'T have an answer - and it's hard to know the difference if they are not responding for that reason or because they've had enough.

I respect people that push back on ugly posts and refuse to respond. I think citywoman did that recently (or was it houseful?). Good for you.

But if you really don't know the answer, it sure would be helpful to the conversation and respectful of others if you (not you personally) would just say that.

In other words, don't just leave people hanging.

o

"However, jumping into the pool to pee and than jumping out again, isn't what I call fair play. Or respectful of others."

"But in that situation, nobody knows what you just did to the pool--except you. Sort of like letting loose a "silent but deadly" in a crowded elevator...like posting a giant snark anonymously."

"Not the same at all."

Elvis, you took the time to critique my metaphor. But you didn't take the time to respond to the substance and the sense of what I wrote, above.

So here's a restatement and clarification of what I meant, without the metaphor:

There are people who post on Internet forums who delight in stirring up trouble -- more than they delight in honest and respectful discussion. They are generally called trolls.

Not every troll posts like a troll all of the time. Some people post honestly and respectfully some of the time -- and post trollishly, at other times.

As I wrote above: it can be a rhetorical trick to leave a discussion after inflaming it.

And while I agree with much of Citywoman2012's OP about some of the reasons some people sometimes walk away from some discussions -- I don't consider it a free pass, available to be used at any and all times.

Or a free pass to abuse others, anytime.

There are responsibilities as well as freedoms under discussion in this thread.

All the best,
-Patrick

o

There are many reasons people may not respond...........

I am not going to respond to our human spell checker. I do not respond to the electronic spell checker either.

Microsoft does not expect me to respond to spell check so our human spell checker will get the same treatment.

There is no need to respond to one poster. He always comes in comment mostly negative and personal and never returns until there is another subject and feel he would like to throw another spitball and run. He is a coward.

o

Then there is deflection of a thread, which is another political tactic that is evident on this forum.
Example.
Recently I opened a thread about Romneys tax returns.

Two or three posters responded with RightWing media talking points which ijected race into the tax return discussion. They used what Limbaugh had been using as a retort, namely, when Democrats ask for Romney to disclose his taxes you ask for Obama's academic records and applications.

It was pointed out how this was Trumps racially tinged recoil to being dismissed on his birther rant and that it was clearly a dog whistle about Affirmative Action... a transparent suggestion that the first black president got where he is only because of racial quotas and affirmative action.

Then City Woman posts near the end of the 15o limit, suggesting that the issue of race was injected by Democrats. Then nothing more.
Is that what you mean CW?

o

I agree that sometimes it just isn't worth trying to respond to a question and in those instances I simply say so but never, at least not knowingly , do I ignore a question directed at me.

What I find frustrating is those who refuse to clarify or substantiate their stated opinion. If you have conviction for what you say then own it, stand up for it and if it it's proven you are wrong then gracefully acknowledge that.

I can't help but think those that refuse to answer appropriate and respectful questions don't because somewhere in their heart they are embarrassed or ashamed to admit the truth in how they feel.

o

Heri I don't have a clue what you are talking about.
I don't think you are talking about me.

o

I can't help but think those that refuse to answer appropriate and respectful questions don't because somewhere in their heart they are embarrassed or ashamed to admit the truth in how they feel.

Perhaps but I also think there are a few that don't know why they believe what they do. They saw it on a 2 minute clip on Fox or a pundit said so and they parrot what they say. The problem is when questioned or asked to go more in-depth on why they believe as they do they simply can't because they don't have a clue why.

o

Well, I imagine some people get ticked off by condescending statements that they are "parroting" this or that person or network, or that their knowledge arrived in their inbox. Once ticked off, a productive discussion is unlikely to follow.

o

Epi, I believe that is very true of the political sound bites that are so often posted but I'm talking about much more deeply held feelings on things like race, poverty, taxes, and worthiness. Especially when it comes to your President I find a disturbing silence when some are questioned on their statements. It's as if they know that what they really think is wrong or such fringe thinking they can't admit it.

o

chase and epi....I don't agree with you 100% on that because there have been a few times I felt I was being baited with questions that wouldn't clarify the subject we were on.

Then there have been times I just got tired of the same ole same ole.

I am glad we are giving our opinion on this tho.
I will never leave a discussion again without giving a legitimate reason such as ....I don't know or I am getting
a headache or etc or you'all are making me mad. :)
I think that is the courteous thing to do.
Maybe others will do the same.

o

Nonsense elvis, I don't recall anyone ever making that accusation of you given you rarely contribute any information from any sources yet you are one of the biggest offenders of not answering questions when asked to clarify what you state.

o

Which is an example of the kinds of exchanges that keep me from contributing more to many threads.

o

There have lately been many very clear-cut examples of certain posters simply ignoring a question, other than an often jeering one-liner as a poor attempt at an answer. Whatever the reason may be, I find it to be extremely rude and unproductive. Why bother to come on the forum at all if your contributions do nothing to forward a discussion, but do have the negative impact of creating frustration and ill will? It gives the impression that your reason for being here is to be provocative and upsetting, that this gives some kind of a thrill. I don't understand it and really and truly don't like it.

o

A Favorite kit from Monty Python. The Argument Clinic. I offer it for entertainment purposes only!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clinical

o

CW.....sorry that's not going to work. When asked to explain a comment or to enlarge upon a stated opinion it won't work to simply provide an excuse for not answering the question if posed in a respectful manner.

o

Sorry chase...but it will work .
One doesn't always know when ones question ISN'T
respectful.

Respect can't raise its head when it is shrouded in a question tinged with snark.

Sometimes people get so caught up in their moment, they
can't hear their question as another does.

I have to be the judge as others do to what I will answer to and tolerate.
That is the right of all of us.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 21:34

"Nonsense elvis, I don't recall anyone ever making that accusation of you given you rarely contribute any information from any sources yet you are one of the biggest offenders of not answering questions when asked to clarify what you state."

We are at cross purposes here. Major communication problems on this forum. Okay; let's just use your remarks for an example:

"Nonsense elvis"

Right from the jump, what I have posted is, to you, nonsense. Give it a few posts, and it's likely someone will hop to it, and pile on with more of the same. Not likely to make me forthcoming with anything much, as I am now expecting it to be discounted no matter what.

"I don't recall anyone ever making that accusation of you given you rarely contribute any information from any sources"

I "don't recall anyone ever making that accusation of (you)" me either. And that's a good thing. But you just have to go on to say "given you rarely contribute any information from any sources".

Why did you need to do that? People obviously communicate in different ways, and I'm glad about that. There are so many posts that consist of "snip, snip" and the poster says little or sometimes nothing at all. This is a discussion? Not for me. I can read articles, too. "Source"? Usually it's just someone else's opinion, but it can end up being discussed just as though it's a fact. If my contributions are lacking because I don't post somebody else's opinion often, too bad.

"...yet you are one of the biggest offenders of not answering questions when asked to clarify what you state."

There you go again, making me want to be a better person. You see where this is going?

This is not a controlled discussion with a moderator. There isn't a set protocol. It's a discussion, and the threads that bring out the best in us are the ones on neutral ground. When the high emotions come into play, defensive behavior kicks in and the worst is unleashed in many of us. Snarks, "you did it first", or "your kind did it first", etc.

Keeping it courteous is key, I think, and just keeping an even tone doesn't cut it; it's the content of what is being said, too. I've seen some real "pretty" disrespectful behavior here, most of it simply a condescending or contemptuous attitude.

Need clarification on this?

o

I'm sorry but this thread is ridiculous. Hot Topics is a discussion forum. Why is it such a surprise that someone would want to ask a question to elicit a response so that they can then counter with their response? It's called debate and it's the WHOLE POINT of being here. To even suggest that we should be giving coded signals when we do not want to answer a question is not in the spirit of the forum or the spirit of free give and take.

If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen, but don't try to turn this forum into something it was never intended to be just because you can't properly defend your position.

And by the way, I believe we are all still waiting for the answer to Chase's question in the Romney Tax thread. Tick tock Clarice.

o

I'm sorry but this thread is ridiculous.

Totally agree.

But then again, most threads become ridiculous eventually, some sooner than others.

And I refuse to answer the question until I speak to my lawyer.

In the meantime, I'll spend my time chillin like a villian over in the conversations area gettin my groove on.

o

There are some solutions to some of the problems mentioned above, which have worked for other people and on other online forums.

One example: If someone poses a question which is expressed in a disagreeable or insulting manner, people can respond "Your words (quote phrase HERE) are offensive to me. If you want me to answer your question, you can ask me politely."

Personally, I think it's important that everyone try to be civil and respectful. Especially when people disagree strongly, over issues which deeply matter to them.

It's real tempting to be mean, rude, aggressive, and sarcastic -- when you feel others are already behaving that way towards you. Or have behaved that way towards people who you like and respect, or towards you in the past.

I try to remind myself with every post to give better than I get -- in effort, in courtesy, in honesty. I don't always manage to do so. But it's a good reminder, nonetheless.

All of the above are only suggestions. I'm not telling other people what to do. I am saying this:

If every person who posts here makes a serious effort to be civil and respectful of the other people who post here, this place will improve.

And if everyone posts negativity, personal comments, anger, disrespect and dishonesty -- this place will get worse.

It's up to every one of us. And in my experience, people generally get back what they give, over time.

Over to you.

All the best,
-Patrick

o

I've seen some real "pretty" disrespectful behavior here, most of it simply a condescending or contemptuous attitude.
Need clarification on this?

Excellent illustration of what you are telling others not to do. Now why don't you take your own advice. Lead by example.

chase and epi....I don't agree with you 100% on that because there have been a few times I felt I was being baited with questions that wouldn't clarify the subject we were on.

CW I am sure that is true in a few instances but I have witnessed threads where you have made some very provocative and in some cases inflammatory statements and when you were asked you ignored or dismissed it.

Saying you have a headache to get out of answering a legitimate question is no different than just walking away. If the question is valid, in response to a statement that you made, then there is no reason not to answer. If you don't want to clarify something you say, part of participating in a discussion which many come on here hoping to have, then why post to begin with?

I have to agree. Ridiculous thread.

o

I have to agree. Ridiculous thread.

It's not that ridiculous. THIS is ridiculous.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 3:03

As videos can contain malware I'd prefer to be warned beforehand.

o

I gotta sorta bogged down, but maybe, they just don't respond to the person because they feel like it is purely for baiting's sake. I've seen it often. Oh wait, now I see you've addressed this point. Yes, someone else agrees with you. Whew. You're not crazy CW and you're not the only one. It's the reason I'll leave a thread and the forum completely sometimes. So the answer is, next time you feel baited, and someone says answer the question, then say, "I hear what you're saying". And let it stand on its own. Others will see the baiting or they won't. It's up to them. But it can be your code to the person that you don't want to take the bait offered up. Just a suggestion.

o

I finally went back and looked at your video HG, HA! I have something more ridiculous. 10 HOURS of nyan cat, the flying cherry poptart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nyan cat

o

lol rob,

My son has a Nyan cat T-shirt.

You know, when he was a bit younger, he used to be able to sing the Llama song, every word and just as fast.

Actually, he sang it over, and over, and over....drove me nuts then, but I find it kinda cute now.

o

Its a free world. No one should feel they have to answer another poster.

However, people come here voluntarily and post knowing what this forum is about - hot discussions. They should take some responsibility for the accuracy of what they post. This is not a bulletin board for you to post your latest nonfactual conspiracy theory attacking one side or the other and then expect to not have one side or another push back.

When you make statements that you can't back up and others go to some personal effort to challenge those statements with posts and sourcing and chase you through the briars and down rabbit holes, then its pretty uncool and cowardly to just duck and flee without at least acknowledging others. It doesn't go un-noticed.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 10:20

I have all the answers...
I don't have all the time...

o

I've been posting fly fishing lure shots on here since I first started visiting this end of garden webs! So what it is merely my pinion that some posts are patently worded for mischief. Someone else would say not hence difference of opinion. Again so what? I have called out the "good folk" they way way Nik has pronounced some of us as the hate America crowd. So what! Is this kindergarten?
I have been excoriated for mocking posters for not responding (big deal)
This has been a dog pit of a forum & has been from the first day I got here. Any pretense that it is anything else is well in my humble opinion horse puckey!

o

Oh I forgot there is often genuine concern & caring here!
More often something akin to back seat of the care he's looking at me stop looking at me ouch she pinched me!

o

"chase you through the briars and down rabbit holes"

......they don't call me "chase" for nothin'.

o

Curiouser & curiouser in the Merry Little Land of Johnathan Switboater or is that Swiftbaiter! Ah yes skateboarder!

o

To tell the truth, I'm often not interested in reading answers to pointed questions. If the evader posted the original distortion, I have no expectation that subsequent comments will approach anything near a demonstrable fact.

o

Exactly, Nancy. Moreover, years of experience on HT has taught me that often the demands to answer questions are either mostly irrelevant to the questions or set up strawman argumentation.

o

Hot Topics IS a forum for discussion.
Any discussion where you have two opposing positions is going to get heated. Duh.

No two groups could think any more different or be any stronger in their feelings when it is Democrats V Republicans or atheists V Christians.

IMO....I "think" some people use this forum to get rid of
pent-up anger and down right ugliness that can't be vented
in real life for whatever reason.

I will not name any names but I imagine many on here
automatically had a few names come to mind.

I will not answer these type posters. I notice several others won't either.
That is our prerogative.

This is Hot Topics not the verbal abuse room.
I was just interested in opinions from posters.

Most posters are so true to form.
I salute many of you who agree with me...:) That is rare.

o

I disagree.....I believe that stated opinions are fair game for respectful, relevant questions.

If some one says that the President "allegedly" gave the order to assassinate Osama Bin Laden a fair question is to ask what they mean by "allegedly".

When someone suggest the President is bipolar I think it fair to ask how they came to that conclusion.

When someone talks about the growing national debt I think it is fair to ask them how it came to be so large and ask them how they feel every American, including the wealthy, can contribute to solving the mess.

When someone states unequivocally the the President is pro illegal immigrants at the expense of Black Americans it is fair to ask them if they believe the President has an anti black agenda.

I will never accept that one is absolved from explaining their statements when posted on a forum like this.

o

I will never accept that one is absolved from explaining their
statements when posted on a forum like this.

That is called fighting to the death chase whether you will admit it or not.
Holding ones feet to the fire .
Rattling their teeth out.

If someone says the President is bipolar...why do they have to prove it?
Harry Reid didn't have to prove his statement on the Senate floor.

If someone says Romney is only for the rich....they don't prove that. They just say it.

If you go back and read 98% of the post.....you will find
lots of opinions................just that.

I'm thinking you just mean Republicans HAVE to answer and prove their
remarks but not Democrats. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.

Why don't you take 30 min one day and play devils
advocate on the Republican side. You would get an eye
opener I think.

o

Sorry, I don't live in a world where you can say whatever you want and not be expected to back up those statements. Republican, Democrat, Liberal, Conservative, Black, White, Brown, Purple or Orange.

You will of course have noted that I said several times I thought Reid was out of line...but maybe you missed that.

o

I don't remember the question as being 'prove it' but rather 'what leads you to believe that the President is bipolar.'

If no valid response is forthcoming, then it's time to ignore all opinions coming from that source. I consider it a time saver.

o

Purple or Orange.

I'm sorry, I draw the line at purple and orange people. I refuse to listen to anything they have to say.

Especially those orange people. Spray tans are NOT sexy.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 15:42

This is why I so rarely read fiction.

o

If someone asks a straightforward question it deserves a straightforward answer. Asking someone the HT equivalent of "When did you stop beating your wife?" is different. If someone says "I heard" or "I read" before saying something provocative another might well ask "where?" or "who?". As we are discovering on another thread there are people who talk a lot but who it would be best not to refer to unless you want to stir things up. Links are useful to back up an opinion but they cause problems when used instead of a personal opinion. Lastly of course asking a question out of context can confuse and is a useful tactic if that is the intention.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 15:28

Sorry, I don't live in a world where you can say whatever you want and not be expected to back up those statements. Republican, Democrat, Liberal, Conservative, Black, White, Brown, Purple or Orange.

Chase, you have made a bold statement which applies to all.

The next time the feathers start flying and your Democratic
friends make statements...I will drag this back out and let you hound one of them into the ground (which You have never done to a Democrat) until the offender backs up their statement.
You do want to be fair don't you.

o

So this thread boils down to someone whining about not being left alone to post unsubstantiated partisan crap without being challenged for a source, evidence, or answering other's questions about it. How pathetic.

o

If no one is expected to support their assertions then why are we here?

So City Woman I gather you are not comfortable supporting your beliefs? Do you consider being asked to do that having your teeth rattled out? I wonder that you put yourself in such a position since in a debating forum you might reasonably be expected to. It is uncomfortable to be hemmed into a corner. I remember having that happen to me once over my attitude about the expectations for the so called First Lady. I had to admit Michelle Obama embraced her mommification. It was embarrassing. I have tried to use that to inform myself when I see someone backed in. As an independent I am pleased to have cart Blanc on whether or not I am expected to explain myself or not.

I would like to think that if Harry Reid posted here we would expect him to explain himself.

o

No king..it didn't start out that way but you know how they usually end.

The question had been asked posters," Why don't you answer."

When a post becomes toxic and not necessarily towards me but anyone...
I will back off it and take a break.

I just wanted opinions regarding others doing the same?

Take a read over in the How Accurate Does This Seem To
You post and read all the way down.

Are you going to insist everyone there substantiate those
claims?

How about you chase?
Are do they get a pass?

o

This is the perfect example of what we're talking about. You said you think he is bipolar and we asked why do you think so?

A really very simple question. There must be something that leads you to think that. We are just asking you to share those insights.

Why is that question hard to answer?

From the moment I read that thread, I decided not to visit it again and I have not.

o

Are you going to insist everyone there substantiate those
claims?

I did read that one, CW and if you will note, Chase was one of the people who initially criticized Ingrid's post. She said "this it's not the best way to have the discussion.
Maybe a reset would be in order.

Ingrid would classify as a Democrat poster. To be fair to you, I will admit that chase was more polite to Ingrid than to your average "conservative" poster, but I suspect that's because she doesn't have a history with Ingrid.

But it does remain that chase has criticized a liberal poster's methods in that thread.

o

Less than four hours after the OP on that other thread, I wrote fourteen. paragraphs. which specifically and in detail explained why I didn't think that kind of post belonged here. Regardless of political direction -- I closed my post saying this:

"Anyway, I hope my post helps you understand why I don't like what you quoted, and why I hope others won't quote similar stuff here. From any point of the political spectrum."

Other people, who generally align with the left side of the political spectrum, also have expressed similar ideas and opinions, on that thread. Last night and today.

Are those of us who disagree with what's still continuing, at the bottom of that thread, supposed to speak up again now? I'm sincerely asking, here.

Because if that's the standard which should be set for (in this example) the leftists -- will it be appropriate for me to call on Citywoman2012, and other rightists, to police their own folks in future? Again, I'm sincerely asking.

Personally, I've already expressed my own thoughts about Ingrid's post last night. Carefully, and at length. I really don't want to wade back into that thread again now.

All the best,
-Patrick

o

"No two groups could think any more different or be any stronger in their feelings when it is Democrats V Republicans or atheists V Christians."
Says who? We are speaking of human beings, from the same culture and with the same language. What in heavens name do you think separates a Christian from an atheist? Do all atheists wear horns while Christians wear haloes. You know that's not true. Most people want the same thing - a safe world in which to bring up their children, food, shelter and something to occupy their time.
Same as Republicans vs. Democrats. Again, we are talking about people who want the same things - democracy, a working economic system, value for their hard-earned tax dollars. The difference is merely in how we get there.
But to decide that there are two sides to every story oversimplifies. There are hundreds of sides. That's what this forum is supposed to foster - the discussion of those ideas. But so many have preconceived ideas already of just what someone thinks because of a political stance or religious belief, or lack thereof.
I can discover what these two sides are whenever I turn on the radio, televison or open a newspaper. I'm interested in the myriad other sides, where people think for themselves rather than following a religious or political ideology. I'm interested in the thoughts and ideas of those who think for themselves rather than parrot today's talking points or the outrage de jour.
Most people who parrot ideas do not know that they are doing so. It is easier for them to believe that they are free thinkers rather than believe that they are victims of propaganda and advertising. But that's how propaganda and advertising work - under the conscious level.
There are as many sides as there are human beings. If you can only see two sides, you're just not listening.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 17:08

Obama is bi-polar, I agree, he'd make a good president in either hemisphere.

o

"How about you chase?
Are do they get a pass?'

Glad to answer. As HG pointed out I didn't give Ingrid a pass on that thread.

I also think you are confusing two issues. Legitimate questions to stated opinions and calling out someone when you think they are over the line. I am talking about answering legitimate , politely posed questions , not sure what you are talking about anymore.

o

So the person who doesn't want to answer questions takes liberals to task for NOT calling out someone she disagrees with. LOL.

Sounds like you need to demand some answers from yourself. Do you want the right to call that person out and ask questions or give her the same "no questions/no answers" privilege you demand for yourself. Or perhaps you should just take the 5th.

o

madmagic...I read every post you wrote on that particular
subject.
I admired you and your position very much.

This post has become the PERFECT example of what I have been trying to convey.
Posted by ninamarie 4Ont. (My Page) on Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 17:02

"No two groups could think any more different or be any stronger in their feelings when it is Democrats V Republicans or atheists V Christians." Said I.

Says she.
Says who? We are speaking of human beings, from the same culture and with the same language. What in heavens name do you think separates a Christian from an atheist? Do all atheists wear horns while Christians wear haloes. You know that's not true.

If I address this comment which is not what I said or meant
then it becomes post 150.
Why would I even WANT to address this remark.
I refuse to turn this into a 150. Someone else may.

I posted my thoughts.....my opinion.....got answers and now I am through.

o

Why would I even WANT to address this remark.

You need to ask yourself why you said what you did and why you don't want to own your own words.

o

CW is the craziest person on HT to start this thread. She answers nothing and says outrageous things like she "feels" Obama is bi polar. She "feels" he's hiding his college records. Then she skirts away and says..bless your little heart when she gets any disagreements.

o

This post is even more ridiculous than the "I'm not a racist, am I?" post.

So, basically, what CW is saying is she can say whatever she wants -- opinions are facts; chance means 50-50; Obama is bipolar. And if anyone dare ask her what she means, do not expect an answer.

Got it.

o

As it happens Ninamarie made a valiant attempt to raise this thread from the rabbit hole, kinda like a ferret. I mean it is an odd thread that starts in the hole and then we try to flush it out against the odds that sense will prevail.

o

Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 21:13

"Are you going to insist everyone there substantiate those
claims?"

Why don't you try to refute them yourself? Do it. I dare you. You won't because you can't.

Seems to me this forum is put up or shut up. If you have the goods put it out there and be prepared to support your position. If you choose not to play by those long established rules you can always whine about it and see how that goes.

o

Ninamarie, thanks for a very nice statement about how we share so many traits and intentions that bind us together but a relatively few need to polarize issues into simplistic dicotomies. We are falling into some sort of binomial mindset.

o

Look... everyone who frequents this forum knows exactly what it's all about. It's states so right at the top of the message board, for crying out loud! And it even says:

"These topics tend to appeal to articulate people with strong opinions and often these debates are sometimes heated. You may challenge another's point of view or opinion, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully, without insult and personal attack."

So the basic gist, for anyone NOT familiar, is to debate controversial issues without getting personal and insulting others, without stalking them, without playing head games, and that sort of thing.

We should not have to go through the difference between an opinion and a fact yet again. If you state your opinion, that's yours... no one can really dispute it. They can disagree, but it's just an opinion.

A fact is different. If you state a fact, be prepared to back it up with vetted information. It's that simple.

It's not a bad thing to ignore bait, or not respond to it. And it probably should be noted that we all have lives outside of this forum... or, one would hope, anyway... so some of us can't always get back to certain threads to read every darn post and answer questions posed.

Sometimes, a comment or an opinion is all we have to offer, and that should suffice. But you can't make up rules and expect certain posters to follow them if you're not going to. The forum already has rules... and as kitchens go, this is a fairly warm one. If you can't take the heat, don't go there.

o

Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 23:29

"Are you going to insist everyone there substantiate those
claims?"

Why don't you try to refute the claims on the "accurate" thread yourself? If you have a problem with them simply say what that problem is and back up your position CW.

o

Well said, Jodi.

"But you can't make up rules and expect certain posters to follow them if you're not going to."

Especially that statement. Speaking for myself, I'll try to do that better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here