Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
As much as it pains me I have sympathy for the GOP

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 20:44

Not easy to make the decisions they must in view of Issac. It is unlikely that Issac will make a direct hit on Tampa but it will be close enough to cause serious issues. Transportation, flooding, too many non residents to deal with should there be a need to get out of the convention area which is at sea level.

However much worse than all of that is the fact it looks like it will make landfall in Mississippi as a Cat 1....maybe even a Cat 2. That is not a fun back drop for a party time campaign convention.

Biden head already canceled his Tampa engagements saying the emergency and first responders don't need the added distraction.

The GOP has already delayed certain functions and are meeting to decide how to best move forward. Hopefully they will make that are in the public interest but ya gotta feel for them.....talk about a rock and a hard place

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: As much as it pains me I have sympathy for the GOP

I had wondered if many of the voters in that area thought the Party used good sense in picking that location during the hurricane season.

It sort of makes one wonder a bit about the general planning ability of the group.

o

While I feel bad for all the people who will have to deal with this hurricane, I agree..who plans a convention in the south during hurricane season? Karma is a bi!ch.

o

Hurricanes affecting Southeastern North Carolina will most frequently strike between late August and mid-to-late September. Jay Barnes, author of “North Carolina’s Hurricane History.”

It sort of makes one wonder a bit about the general planning ability of the group.

It sure does!

o

North Carolina is the ideal place. It's anti-union, pro business model, low-wage work is ideal for the future plans of the Democratic Party.

o

Very good, brush!

o

Hurricanes affecting Southeastern North Carolina will most frequently strike between late August and mid-to-late September. Jay Barnes, author of “North Carolina’s Hurricane History.”

It sure does!

"Forty percent of all U.S. hurricanes hit Florida
Eighty-three percent of category 4 or higher hurricanes strikes have hit either Florida or Texas"
Check what the percent is for North Carolina.

Don't you think Liberals mathematical skills are superior than others?

North Carolina is the ideal place. It's anti-union, pro business model, low-wage work is ideal for the future plans of the Democratic Party.

Brush
That is the difference of the parties. Separatism vs United. Liberal.......You can disagree with my position but I do not think I should not sit next to you. It should not and does not happen in the Liberal mind.

Take that is the sad reality of the Republican Party if they continue to have this type of mindset with the statistics of the population not in favor of your way of thinking.

o

From the NOAA: 46 hurricanes have hit North Carolina in all scale categories - 13 of the 46 were major.

Charlotte is pretty far inland.

The Republicans have cancelled Monday, but are going to squeeze all the Monday line up of speakers (and they are legion) into the remaining days. There'll have to be someone behind the curtain with a hook.

o

If this hurricane does what they are saying its going to do, Tuesday will be a lost day also. That's when the storm surge is expected and that will upend transportation in the area. The streets flood in Tampa during summer thunder storms. During big storms, the water from the bay surges over the bridges and streets. If it gets bad, they will close those bridges and streets. If most of the delegates are staying in Pinellas, they will have to use one of the bridges to get to Tampa and that might be impossible.

o

Thanks for the info about surges , JZ. I was thinking that that might be the biggest problem they face. I hope you stay safe.

o

My Sons (23 and 25), and we're Canadian living on the west coast, asked the very same question. So I figure if a couple of Canadian kids can wonder about the viability of having a convention in Florida, in the middle of hurricane season, Romney couldn't figure it out? And Biden was right - it has the potential of taking valuable rescue/first-responder resources away from where they are most needed.

But I'm guessing that the state of Florida is just tooooo politically important for the GOP to be thinking clearly.

o

I recall earlier this summer when Tampa experienced some serious rain as a result of TS Debbie and it totally flooded the convention area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Convention area flooded by TS Debbie

o

The Dems will be in Charlotte, NC, approx. 200 miles inland. Not near the coast.

o

The Dems will be in Charlotte, NC, approx. 200 miles inland. Not near the coast.

Are you saying the Dems have the good sense to come inland.... out of the rain so to speak?

o

I would agree with Blfenton... it's hurricane season, but an entire political party couldn't figure out that being near such action wasn't a good idea... which ties in nicely with the thread on "Is It Safe to Vote for Republicans?"

You tell me... if they can't figure out their own safety risks, do we really want them in charge of an entire nation?

o

"Are you saying the Dems have the good sense to come inland....out of the rain so to speak?"

Yes, that's what I was trying to say...without actually saying it.

o

Posted by susanilz5 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 12:43

"Are you saying the Dems have the good sense to come inland....out of the rain so to speak?"

Yes, that's what I was trying to say...without actually saying it.

If only the Democrats had good sense to pass a budget and reduce the deficit and encourage jobs and economic growth instead of stifle it.

Apparently choosing a convention site that is less likely to be affected by a hurricane gives them a pass on the more important accomplishments.

Figures.

o

Apparently choosing a convention site that is less likely to be affected by a hurricane gives them a pass on the more important accomplishments.

Figures.

Demi, your accomplishments expectations have been addressed in past post and will be explained during the Presidential debates. Since this topic focused on Convention location designation Dems seem to be ahead.

The final decision will be put before the voting public in a few weeks we will say if past accomplishments met their needs and expectation. We know where you and I stand and that is Okay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here