Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did you ever get in trouble in school?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 5:03

Had to stay after? Sent to the principal 's office? Have your parents come in? Suspended? Expelled? Was it for talking in class? Clowning around or coming in late. Tell us about it. Me? Well, let's just say I say I spent a lot of time gathering dust after school for all of the "crimes" mentioned above. And you? Now is the time to unburden yourself....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did you ever get in trouble in school?

Nope. I was quiet and well-behaved, but enjoyed watching the antics of others like you, Richard. :-)

o

Never, but I probably should have.

o

I was a wise"acre" in middle school. Never tell my kids!!!

If a teacher said "say one more thing and you're out...." how could you resist saying one more thing?

I never got suspended, just sent to homeroom.

o

Yep... never been convicted of anything, tho... ;-)

o

Never.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 9:42

I was mostly well behaved, but the times I did break the rules I was clever enough not to get caught, nyuk nyuk. Though Nothing I need to unburden myself about.

o

Had detention once in High School because of a subway delay. You had to be in school 30 minutes before first class late subway or not. So 15 of us got detention.
Other than that I was a respectful goad who played within the permissible limits of (intellectual?) sarcasm that was often permitted in class.

In elementary school I had a nun who kept 5 of us after class because we liked the COMMUNIST ART TEACHER more than her. They carted her off to happydale before the end of the year.
Sort of a Sister Ignatius explains it all to you character!

o

Never. I was too chicken. I wish I'd actually skipped class once or twice in my lifetime. Eesh. For real. Live a little!

o

LOL, VgKg... you sound like my middle child... we know he was a little demon seed at times, but he was smart enough to never get caught... unlike our eldest, who always got busted!

I've been suspended, expelled from a Catholic school, and committed general mayhem as the designated black sheep of my family. I even got in trouble for things I didn't do, being the eldest, and therefore the supposed example my siblings should look up to!

Nothing too overly criminal... I got suspended for smoking and fighting, expelled from the Catholic school because I refused to make up with my best friend after a little tiff... the nuns insisted we shake hands and apologize to each other, and I wasn't having it... so expel me... like I wanted to go to parochial school, anyway! Not!

I was your average rebellious teenager. I questioned authority, blazed my own path... and here we are.

o

I'll bet anyone that's read a few of my posts much less posts for years can answer that question.

o

Never. I was Miss Goody Two Shoes. Unless you count the time I was pulled out of home room by another teacher who wanted to know why I was leading the campaign for write-in candidate for class prez who was her "pet". I said it was because most of the class wouldn't vote for him because he cheated. That brought her up short. And, the write-in candidate won.

o

Yep. I got kicked out of French 12 for being a general jerk. I didn't need the class to graduate but needed it for university entrance. At the time, where I live, you needed French for university entrance and I think you still do but French 11 is ok.. My Dad had to go and talk to the principal. I was let back into the class but with a different teacher.

I learned my lesson about treating others with respect even though I may not like them or agree with them.

o

Back in the days of high school dress codes, I was sent to the office of the girl's vice-principal for a short skirt. She warned me that my face was familiar and that I'd previously been in her office. I said that was true; the previous week she had called the girls who were honor students to meet in her office. She ungraciously stated that she doubted my word thus reinforcing my growing anti-authority mentality. (I could have told her to look up my name, or informed her that she had been my mother's music teacher at another high school -- a good example of 'brilliant' come backs thought of too late.)

Generally I learned that in high school if you're in scholastic honor societies, service groups, and on the dean's list, the attendance office doesn't spend a lot of time checking to see if your mother really signed the excuse for missing school. ;0)

o

Generally I learned that in high school if you're in scholastic honor societies, service groups, and on the dean's list, the attendance office doesn't spend a lot of time checking to see if your mother really signed the excuse for missing school. ;0)

Really? Crap! Wish I had figured that out back in high school!

I did remember one close call...in high school, we were not allowed to leave school at lunch time, but that never stopped us from driving over to the Burger King. One day, we saw the principal looking in the window trying to catch students. We high tailed it out the back door and back to school. That was the extent of my misbehavior!

o

Yes, two times. Once in elementary school , I was talking in class and had to stay after school and write on the blackboard 100 times... I will not talk in class. I wasn't going to mention it to my mother but that day she met me half way to get icecream, and when I wasn't with my friends , they ratted me out which got me in trouble at home

Second time , I was expelled in 10th grade. Seriously, me, Goody two shoes who didn't smoke, drink or "put out' was expelled. We were all in assembly awaiting a movie to start. The auditorium was buzzing with all the kids talking, but our home room teacher , just out of college and in her second month of teaching, told us all to be silent. Nevermind the movie hadn't started and the place was humming with talk. A friend behind me tapped me on the shoulder, and I turned and said "what?" just as teacher saw us. She immediately showed her 22 year old authority and sent us back to home room to miss the movie. On the way back we were giggling thinking how stupid this was when we ran into our Principal who was a former Nazi. Not really, but he carried a board up his sleeve and patrolled the halls. He wondered why were were in the halls and since we obviously thought it was funny, he expelled us. Our teacher was mortified. She didn't want this to happen. This was a Friday and we were told to have our parents come to school on Monday. Friend and I ignored this until we were not allowed entrance. My dad, at his office in the telephone company, and friend's mother had to appear. Principal told my father judging by my IQ I was not working to the best of my abilities with B's on my report card. Homeroom teacher even apologized realizing I was kicked out of school for saying WHAT.

Imagine how disrespectful kids are today and nothing happens . This was a joke.

o

lol @ vgkg...Sounds like me. I did it all. cut class, came in late, talked in class and was not caught or had to pay a price for doing what I wanted to do.

Through my junior high and high school years at one time or other....... I was a cheerleader on the school newspaper staff, worked in the Principle's office and class president. The teachers did not know when I was coming and going.

My grades were good so I did not miss anything it was a win for everyone. I did not need to be in class everyday and the teachers did not need to see me everyday to get good grades.

o

Both ways. Nothing really bad, just a pain in the ass sometimes. I charmed some of the teachers, but when it came senior year, the smarter students, like moi, would end up in an English class that was going to produce the yearbook or an English class that would produce the school newspaper.

Poor moi. Neither of the class teachers wanted me because I wasn't the team player even back then and so I wasn't on either list.

But I wanted to be with my friends, so I turned on the charm and groveled a bit and ended up in the newspaper class.

Would you want me on YOUR team?

Still the same ole

Hay

o

I was always pretty well behaved in school. Did get caught for uniform violations in high school - hem didn't hit the floor when kneeling; think I didn't always grab the regulation black sweater for in place of or under the blazer a time or two also. Hard to believe some stuff really mattered!

o

I finally opened this (mindless) thread, tob, and I think you really need to get a life. I think you are my latest SOB.

o

"Would you want me on YOUR team?"

That's funny. I always say that I'm a Marxist - Groucho, that is -- as in "I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member".

I'm not a joiner either.

o

ooooops I told a fib. I did get into trouble once.

In grade 12 Sister Mary Margaret accused me of wearing mascara. I told her I wasn't and that i would wash my face to prove it. She gave me a detention for being argumentative.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 17:36

geeez, several of you really were goodie two shoes alright.

o

Rather than mindless, I'm finding this rather interesting and insightful. I'm not surprised that many of you were on the honour rolls and so active in high school but with the strong opinions so forcefully stated here I'm surprised that more of you weren't rabble-rousers.

Any one on debating teams?

o

I was on the debating team in Grade 12 and grade 13.....loved it.

I went to a private girls school, a school with a very high academic standard and a very affluent one to boot.

I went there in grade 9 and 10 because the Parish Priest paid for me to go. Grades 11 through 13 I paid my way by dusting desks and working in the cafeteria.

No way I was screwing up the opportunity given me.

However once I graduated HS and attended university I was a bit of a rebel. By that age the profs really don't give a damn what you do. So while I did "act out" it never got me in any trouble.

o

I amassed over 300 hours on beat squad in one year at good ol SMA. That's marching/double timing around the parade field in full dress with an M1 Garand at full port. The hours aren't awarded for good behavior.

o

All it took was one thin dime for the trolley ride from a suburb of Boston into the big city and the RKO movie theater which showed feature films followed by an hour show after the movie of major live acts that toured large cities. Admission was 50 cents. When Frank Sinatra came to town everyone skipped school. The Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis show also emptied the schools. This is when I learned there is security in numbers, lots of adult grumblings but I do not remember much discipline, maybe an extra study hall. (In answer to the question, yes I was on my college debate team and still consider it the most important part of my education.)

o

Nope; never got in trouble in school. Accelerated honors all the way; skipped a grade, graduating HS at 16. Girl Scout from age 7 through 14. Academic scholarship for college.

Did plenty of shananigans; no one suspected = never got caught. Mama is proud.

o

"Did plenty of shananigans"

Wow, you would think someone that graduated a year early would know the correct spelling of shenanigans. Classes must be easier up in Wisconsin or Chicago or the UP.

o

ah, a stroll down memory lane : “You’re not a bad boy, Dutch. Killing six children doesn't make anyone bad” (lenny bruce)

hmmm- in grade school, maybe 5th grade I was a student librarian and on certain days I would leave Mr. Savelli's history class early to go to the library. I would sometimes forget, so I took to turning around and looking at the clock - and that drove him crazy. So eventually, Helen, a 6th grade student would come for me and tap on the door to get me- this also drove Mr Savelli crazy.

Helen grew up to be a librarian.

In Junior High, I was often stopped in the hall by some teacher (usually the same one, but I've forgotten his name), for wearing my shirt tails out. It may be hard to believe, but in the day, we always wore button down shirts and dark slacks- at a public school. Shirts had to be tucked in, and you wore a belt, and occasionally a tie. Teachers would laugh at me if I came to school with a black eye- Thanks, Dr Rathburn!

I don't know what I did to deserve such punishment, but I was put in a class with the same kids from year to year. Nancy, I still have my pin somewhere.

Oh, I hope I was not a goody goody. I got a lecture from Mrs Ott, when I didn't say the pledge in homeroom (civics). I occasionally got into fights- usually with jocks or bullies... sometimes that's the same thing! The most terrifying moment was having to teach a senior math class once when I was in eleventh grade- it wasn't intended to be punishment but it felt like it.

o

Going for precision here; technically, you were a Brownie between the ages of 7 and 9 - then you flew up to Girl Scout.

I find these threads interesting... in a useless information sort of way. But like someone is going to list the bad stuff (really bad) stuff they did?

What. No Rhodes Scholars?

o

I'd be more curious about what kind of trouble people have gotten into as adults, than as children! Gotta be MUCH more interesting...

o

pidge: "I finally opened this (mindless) thread, tob, and I think you really need to get a life. I think you are my latest SOB."

Would someone teach pidge how to have some fun?

o

The really bad stuff? Cutting class or entire days WAS considered bad! Forging a parent's signature, calling in pretending to be your mom... these WERE bad!

As I recall, there were certain social groups in school... which did you fit into or identify with? Who did you hang out with?

I wanted nothing to do with cheerleading, made average to decent grades, graduated... but I hung out with the "freaks". We were the partiers. We had too much fun in school, bucking the system! Now, that's the really bad stuff! ;-)

o

• Posted by ronf z4 MN (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 9:24

An interesting thread...
Like a couple posters have mentioned if you're on the honor roll and in numerous service clubs you're above suspicion. Which is perfect for when you and your best friend figure out how to make nitroglycerin in the back room of the chemistry lab. (we were science nerds. minus the pocket protectors.) It was just a couple of small batches, enough to blow up a couple test tubes. I imagine today we'd be labled terrorists and kicked out for who knows how long.

Ron

o

I'd be more curious about what kind of trouble people have gotten into as adults

First let's have some information on statutes of limitations, then maybe we'll talk.

o

LOL, Nancy!

Hey, I said I'd never been convicted... must be doing something right! ;-)

o

Okay... one time, in high school, a few of us were behind the school finishing cigarettes before class... and the Dean walked around the corner and spied us.

Picture a guy that looked like Tony Soprano minus the hair, with a voice like Ed Sullivan.

He confronted us with, "Now you know, we know you guys were back here... blowing dope!" And he said it like he was all hip to our slang, which he wasn't.

It was hilarious... no evidence, no nothing. But his voice and demeanor just made us all laugh! No one got in trouble because he couldn't back up his accusations.

Just another day during the '70's...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here