Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If priests are allowed to marry should they also be

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 5:11

allowed to practice birth control? It seems without control that they could have many children that parishioners would have to support. Thus, I think it necessary that marriage and birth control be approved together. Surely you would agree...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If priests are allowed to marry should they also be

but richard, as you well know "every sperm is sacred"

o

Who says? Only one out of millions fertilizes the egg...

o

That's because the gate is narrow.

o

Yes, every sperm is sacred

And then there's this

Here is a link that might be useful: Monty Python

o

Even Taliban sperm?

o

Of course... just because someone wants to marry doesn't mean they want to parent.

o

Of course... just because someone wants to marry doesn't mean they want to parent.
What?? The one and only purpose of marriage IS to produce children! So the story goes, anyway ....

o

Well, I wouldn't be opposed to priests having one or two if they did want to parent, but I'm afraid that they might get carried away...

o

Isn't the Catholic Church's only acceptable method of birth control still the rhythm method? I guess when you get the urge, you get up and start dancing.

o

I dunno... I still think the whole idea is detrimental, especially in it's organized form...

o

I think that is a decision between them and their faith. I would not impose my beliefs upon them. Just as I would hope they would not impose their beliefs upon others.

o

I don't care.

It's none of my business.

o

where did this come from?

o

Yes, the Church still clings to fascinatin' rhythm as the only acceptable method.

The Church's exhortation to put trust in God and uphold a timeless virtue - like self control - will somehow endow us with great wisdom. Seems a bit Medieval.

Sincerely practicing conjugal chastity is, of course, always precious in someone's eyes. Humanae Vitae puts abortion as the principal no-no, but on equal footing are tubal ligations, vasectomies, the pill, IUDs, foams, diaphragms, condoms, and withdrawal.

What's a person to do? Ignore that aspect of the teachings and do what you've got to do, I suspect. I can hardy remember a time when anyone gave a second thought to a small family unit.... as in they must be doing "something". A large family unit, on the other hand, gets the oh, they must be Catholic comment.

o

Doesn't every religion want its' flock to increase?

But...if human life is sacred, why don't I see protests against Made To Order human babies created in petri dishes from 'anonymous donors' for anyone with the cash for the procedure? Where are the sanctions against a person deliberately -- and for profit -- participating in the creation of a child he or she has no intention of caring for? (End of Rant)

o

"Doesn't every religion want its' flock to increase?"

Yes, and by beginning indoctrination from birth, one is assured of getting a compliant, complacent crowd of followers. End of my rant.

o

jodik -- Sure. That's the 'bottom line' for the "Go forth and multiply".

o

The extinct Shakers didn't multiply....gee I like them!

o

A large family unit, on the other hand, gets the oh, they must be Catholic comment.

Coming from an extended Catholic family of mostly two or three children per couple, the large family unit received the 'they must be old-fashioned (crazy) Catholics' comment. Some cousins, typically the third child, were privately acknowledged as 'mistakes' or 'one last try for a girl.'

Common comment: If the Pope wants us to have more children, he can pay for them.

o

Nancy -- No, no. You have that backwards. THEY pay for the popes. Get a grip! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here