Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quotas for promoting gender equality?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 5:13

Afghanistan requires 1/4 of parliamentary seats to be filled by women! How about that? It was a surprise to me, though finding qualified women in this repressive state presents a problem. According to Foreign Policy for July/August many countries do have quotas in their public sectors and some in their private ones, too. Nevertheless, with the demands on a woman's life, and the denial of opportunity in many countries, gender equality can be still elusive and may take forever if ever to achieve, even here, concludes this article. Do you agree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quotas for promoting gender equality?

I think part of the problem is still thinking in terms of what are only traditional demands in a woman's life.

There's no reason a woman has to be confined by tradition.

o

The article also examines the idea of the 50/50 marriage in regards to the demands of family life and still found most men just aren't living up to it, even with leave time and financial incentives provided in some countries...

o

In our household, everything is 50/50... and a lot of the traditionally female jobs are happily accomplished by my husband. He's a much better cook, and he's better at canning and preserving, and sewing... and he was home to raise the children... but this is the US, so it's a little different. Religion was, and is, not a factor.

In some other nations, religion plays a huge role... and women are traditionally not equal according to some of those religions.

o

Out of curiosity, did you work this out before you got married?

o

I'm the stepmom, Tobr... the old man was already raising 3 little ones on his own when I stepped in. He was raised with Grandma, Mom and 3 sisters... so, he's well rounded in the areas of understanding females and handling household anything. I'd say I'm exceedingly lucky.

o

Interesting, I was raised by a mother, a very strong aunt from a distance and three older sisters. However, my marriage was rather traditional when it came to roles with me the breadwinner and my wife a homemaker. It was the expectations of gender roles in those days, and I still see quite a little of it today with my own adult children and others...

o

Interestingly, Tobr, we were just discussing this sort of thing last night... and we figure we are the exception to every rule out there when it comes to tradition and what's "expected".

We both hunt, both handle dogs, both do pretty much everything together. I have my strengths and weaknesses, and he does, too. He just looks better in an apron. ;-)

No, seriously... we have a very equal, and unusual relationship, judging by those of most people we know... but then, we have what so many don't... the complete set of necessary building blocks to a great marriage. 100% trust, support, full communication, everything.

We work and live well together... we have to; we spend 24/7 together. We're both a little gimpy, and we enjoy living in a more rural-off the grid-self sustained, and relaxed manner. We have a tight family, too... which helps a lot... and money is not any kind of draw or priority.

There's nothing traditional about me... and he doesn't fit any mold, either. We like it that way. :-)

I do feel for women in areas of the world where tradition plays a big role... if that's what you want out of life, that's great... but there's little reason to hold up a more patriarchal way of life when we can clearly see that females have much more to offer than tradition often allows.

o

"... but there's little reason to hold up a more patriarchal way of life when we can clearly see that females have much more to offer than tradition often allows. "

Well said jodik, well said.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here