Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Right-Wing Obama Lynching Advocates Take Cue From Eastwood.

Posted by maddie_athome (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 7:28

You may recall that there were a couple of nooses displayed as protests of Barack Obama in right-wing precincts the night he was elected in 2008, and there have been effigy hangings of the president here and there since. They quickly were swept under the rug, everyone moved along, and that was that. But obviously, those sentiments among racist rednecks have, if anything, intensified in recent years.

And now that it's clear he is about to win re-election, it's coming back out -- with clear references to Clint Eastwood's speech at the GOP convention included.

First there was the cretin who hung an empty chair labeled "Nobama" in close proximity to a George Allen sign at festival in Virginia this weekend. No one evidently was able to track down the culprit.

As we say, effigy hangings aren't particularly new, though they do serve as a nice barometer of the anger levels of the expressly racist faction out there. What made this noteworthy was the clear reference to Eastwood's use of an empty chair as a proxy for President Obama.

Today, Burnt Orange Report received the photo at right, taken in front of a home in Northwest Austin. The resident, a Republican, lynched an empty chair from a tree in his yard, which one can easily interpret to represent a racially motivated act of violence against the President.

When confronted, the man doubled down:

I called the homeowner to ask about his display, citing my concerns as a fellow Austinite. He replied, and I quote, "I don't really give a damn whether it disturbs you or not. You can take [your concerns] and go straight to hell and take Obama with you. I don't give a sh*t. If you don't like it, don't come down my street."

Ironically, the homeowner in question, Bud Johnson, won "Yard of the Month" in August 2010 from his Homeowners Association. I guess his display was a little different that month?

The next day, the man added an American flag and a guard to his display.

Update, 9:26 a.m. Friday: the homeowner has cut down the lynched chair, placed it on the lawn, and -- wait for it -- claimed it wasn't racist.

True colours.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Republican Party.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Right-Wing Obama Lynching Advocates Take Cue From Eastwood.

It's all Bush's fault. Scroll to bottom of link.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

It is hard to estimate how much of a factor racism plays in this electon. Would Obama be many more points ahead if he was white?

o

Maddie, I got up this morning and was doing my usual morning ritual. Got my tea and slice of raisin toast and turned on Morning Joe.

The polls are a big discussion this morning that Obama is winning OH, FL, PA by double digits. They are trying to blame it on Mitt. Granted Mitt is the worst candidate in recent history. But he is a product of the right-wing talking points. They seem to be in a fog that the talking points he is repeating is not the civilized, educated, intelligent society that I live in and experience daily.

People really do not think the poor should eat dirt or that every person is spoken of as lower than them because they do not have as much as them. The things I read on HT about how much I have and those lazy fat people do not deserve my money amazes me.

The table was set for any Republican that tried to run on the right-wing platform of hatred and Victorian Days was going to lose. Racism is really not something that I have seen as honorable and I was traveling 200 days a year during the first election of Obama. I was in a lot of cities talking to people and racism was never a reason they supported McCain. They actually could articulate logical reasons why they were voting for McCain.

The 2010 sweep was because they promised jobs, jobs, jobs, it became hate, abortion, and obstruction. All along going on national TV saying they were going to make Obama a one time president.

Did they really think people preferred they concentrated on women birth control, abortion and making sure no jobs were created and decided that your grandmother should not vote was a winning table to set is a mystery to me and obviously the majority of America. We are better than hate, fear, uneducated not one tidbit of humanity for our fellow man regardless of the color of their skin or religion.

They really do not know the meaning of Conservative. Conservative was never another word for ME.

o

To paraphrase something the President recently commented on, I think we do a great disservice to ourselves by acknowledging these racists and hate or fear mongers, and giving the fringe element within our world airtime. On the other hand, we'd be doing a disservice if we didn't point out racism where it lives and breathes.

It does show how far we still have to go as a nation in stomping out bigotry, and with it discrimination, though... and it shows how certain factions would undermine the very fabric of our democracy.

It would appear that the colors most noticed are NOT red, white, and blue...

o

It would appear that the colors most noticed are NOT red, white, and blue...

At least not by the liberals on this forum. They seem to be obsessed by Obama's race.

o

One would think that all thoughtful Americans would decry anyone who espoused any type of violence directed toward any politicians rather than use an example of one's hatred as an excuse for another.

It's all wrong !

o

It is hard to estimate how much of a factor racism plays in this electon. Would Obama be many more points ahead if he was white?

Richard, no. With Dems, it won't matter, as he is still a Dem.

As for the Republicans, see above.

Marquest, I hear ya. Of course Romney will be the scapegoat but Republicans have no one to blame but themselves.

o

Ya Chase...indeed one would think so. Apparently not.

o

I think he might be, Tobr... let's not forget that there's still a bit of the old white patriarchy/hierarchy in residence... as mentioned in another thread somewhere... not to mention the greatly institutionalized racism within our nation... and various factions of persons still believing the confederacy will rise again.

When you add all of it together, it means that there's still a breeze of bigotry blowing across the land... and I think it's evidenced by a lot of the things we've witnessed within the past 3+ years. I think we'd be remiss if we denied it.

o

Lindsey Graham does the math, and doesn't like what he sees:

"The demographics race we're losing badly. We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

It's not their message, it's the people. How ignorant not to recognize that perhaps the American electorate wants different things from what the GOP is offering.

o

I do not condone life-threats against any president. I also have faith in my government--if there were legitimate threats against the president, I believe our govt. conducted thorough investigations. Just because they did not come to me and give me a play-by-play account of their investigations does NOT mean they failed to investigate.

One big difference between the kinds of threats recorded in the above links. The ones against Obama are clearly racist--threats against him by whites because Obama is (part) black.

I see no racist element in the Bush examples. They are whites protesting the policies of a white president. I don't see examples of black people protesting Bush because he is white. Nor do I see whites standing in for blacks and protesting Bush because he is white. That doesn't mean it is all right to threaten Bush, but just that he did not seem to be a serious risk because of his race.

I don't know about the history of lynching since the beginning of this country, but like many people on this forum, I well remember assasinations and serious attempts against presidents and presidential hopefuls and prominent civil rights leaders. Most of the ones I remember were related, to one degree or another, to race issues, supporting civil rights for blacks and other minorities. I do know enough about the history of lynching to know that being black was a major reason for being lynched. Put the two together--(part) black president and lynching symbols--and that spells racism to me! The protests against Bush (bad as they are) were against an individual whose policies were disapproved of; the ones against Obama, because they highlight his black ancestry, are more than an objection to one man and his policies. It is his race--and thus includes others of his race--that is being threatened.

Our black citizens have always known that the lynching image (or burning cross, etc.) was intended as a message to ALL of them, and not just to the one person who was actually hanging from the tree.

Kate

o

This false equivalence BS gets re-posted on a regular base.

Thanks Kate, for setting the record straight.

o

Due diligence... thank you, Kate.

I've always viewed that false equivalence as a very thin excuse for something inexcusable. But then, how does one cover racism? I don't think one can. It stands out very clearly.

Not only is it insulting to an entire race, it's insulting to those who share a part of that heritage.

I can clearly recall the tension of the early 1960's, very racially charged. As a child, I couldn't wait until the day more people opened their hearts, minds, and eyes, and saw human beings instead of skin color. The hatred then was a palpable thing, but I thought it would fade. How wrong I was. It's sad to think it's been kept alive and burning for so many years... and for what?

o

NO OUTCRY FROM K lol!

o

due diligence my foot...just a bunch of race baiters.

o

just a bunch of race baiters

Who, the guy hanging the chair?

o

Mrskjun, don't you know they are shooting at your feet and you're supposed to dance?

Race Baiters is a kind description.

o

What am I missing I have read the post before the comment...It would appear that the colors most noticed are NOT red, white, and blue..

Where does any of a lynching post have to do with red, white and blue. It lynching considered patriotic?

o

I guess according to jodik it is marquest. Read the post carefully if you can.

o

What does that mean, MrsK? I noticed you haven't commented on the chair lychings that have happened around the country recently, which by the way is the topic of the OP if you haven't noticed. Do you think that it's OK to do that? Do you not have a problem with that? Or do you think it's racist and inappropriate?

o

Since you ask jill, I think it's inappropriate. I've thought it was inappropriate in all the years people have been doing it. I believe it is disrespectful of the office of the presidency.

o

"It's all Bush's fault. Scroll to bottom of link."

Not exactly a clear denunciation of racism here. Deflection without reflection. Or perhaps you think this is art?

o

The whambulance drivers are giving it a ho hum just a little regional awrt!

o

Total deflection and the threats to kill Bush on a sign were not even comparable to the lynching of the chair. Totally clear what the symbol meant.

BTW, Marguest, in case we wondered why PA had no ads , Obama is leading by 12 points. So much for suppression. Now we need to photo ID these voters, get them to the polls and make it a LANDSLIDE!! This corruption energized the base, the opposite of what the Teabaggers wanted. They better watch their ass in two years.

o

Now when one of the good fellers yelp about the EffBI cummin round we'll hear the howlin!

o

Good to know, MrsK.

o

BTW, Marguest, in case we wondered why PA had no ads , Obama is leading by 12 points. So much for suppression. Now we need to photo ID these voters, get them to the polls and make it a LANDSLIDE!! This corruption energized the base, the opposite of what the Teabaggers wanted. They better watch their ass in two years.

I saw that Lily, They poked the bear. When you set out to do wrong it backfires. They heartlessly thought of nothing other than stealing the election and not the seniors they would hurt and the effects of their actions. When they realized what they did they still did not care.

Since today is a rain day I am not moving today. Most of them do not want to go in the rain.

o

Photobucket

Sarah Palin, hung in effigy........Hmmmmm....I wonder what type of person would do something like this?

o

The same kinda idiot that did the one in the OP...what is your point!!

o

Same kind of idiot although it looks more like Gaddafi.

o

Yes there is no shortage of idiots out there and we had the Wasilla trash that thought playing to the stupid would win the White House. Thank goodness McCain knew it was not the way to win.

o

Remember McCain picked Sarah over Mitt as being more qualified as VP. Gives some thought..hmmmm

o

The Wasilla trash? Speaks volumes about you marquest. When exactly was the last time you were asked to run as vice president of the US?

o

The Palin Girls were out Hunting it's on mommas Facebook page. The yuckster comments by other postersare Is it democrat season already oh ho ho & get a Pelosi Target out for practice

Here is a link that might be useful: Search & yee shall find

o

This is a very sad thread - the subject of posting, the terrible unacceptable, revolting pictures by terrible, revolting, unacceptable people who do such things or assume that such things are unimportant, or even think such things - and the willful blindness regarding some of the responses to the subject of posting, the entire tone in general.

Sarah Palin had her day, made a very good retirement for herself from her fans - we should just let that subject go entirely, she didn't move anything forward after all and talking about her now doesn't move anything forward.

I'm hoping that in the end, it will be a very good thing that the GOP picked her after all, why they picked her for her appeal to a certain segment of our society - and WHY that failed the party and the American people so completely.

The GOP gained some learning experiences under their belt.

She was certainly an excellent learning tool. Maybe it will turn out that she was a good lesson for the GOP, one that will end up being (along with this entire 2012 presidential republican process) the beginning of the major events that inspire a complete charge forward, returning to the party that was once actually grand instead of the divisive, mean spirited organization it has become.

o

Hey Big Papi.

Did you bother to enlarge that photo you posted and claimed was Sarah Palin?

I suggest posters do so.

Tis not a picture of Sarah Palin, but it sure looks like Muammar Gaddafi. Remember him, they one from Libya?

o

Well littleonefb, thought I would ck that out like you suggested. Want to ck it out yourself?

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thanks for the link Mrskjun, I just went on the photo alone that was posted and a close up of that pic does not show Sarah Palin as I stated in my prior post.

I never saw anything on this before you posted your link.

Certainly not an acceptable thing to display for any reason, and the chair in the OP certainly is not acceptable either.

o

I figured with the red coat dress it had to be Palin.

As Mrskj stated, it's inappropriate to show Mrs. Palin hung in effigy.

o

Of course it's unacceptable. Sadly, this president was not the first to have an effigy hung. Google it--Bush was decapitated, hanged, and burned.

It's horrible, but this president was not the first. Stop being so hung up on race issues.

o

The Wasilla trash? Speaks volumes about you marquest. When exactly was the last time you were asked to run as vice president of the US?

She was an embarrassment to McCain and he was very sorry that he picked her for his VP. A candidate that has to write the answers on her hand, that could not list one paper or book that she had read, that tried to stroke racism yes that is trash. Until McCain put a stop to her tactics, She was not invited to speak at Romney's RNC Convention, Should I go on? It might be an insult to trash.

Running for VP..... if you watched MSNBC or read "Game Changer" I do not think her pick for VP puts her one hair above me. McCain's campaign manager that picked her is a MSNBC commentator he has shared a lot about Palin.

You have said worst about what your President is able to accomplish and what he has accomplished do you feel you are qualified to make those judgements since you have never been asked to run for President? Wonder what that says about you?. Will you stop voicing your opinion without proof?

o

The Wasilla trash? Speaks volumes about you marquest.

Marquest is saying no worse about Sarah Palin that what the McCain campaign has already said about her -- and her family.

o

Thing is if he were white he wouldn't have won the first time. He got the guilty white vote along with the 99.9% black vote so how could he lose.

The chair has nothing to do with rednecks or anyone one else being a racist. Republicans came out with the recommendation that everyone who wanted Obama out to put an empty chair on their lawn. So this guy hung his from a tree so of course he has to be reacist, right? You people have some vivid imagination and you really do need to get over that whole racist thing. Get it through your head, the majority of people who didn't vote for him didn't because he is unqualified to be president of our country. I know thinking we are all racists is the easiest way to explain things, but it's not the truth and you know it.

If Herman Cain had made it to where Romney is he'd be wiping up the floor with Obama right now and FYI he's very black!!

How paranoid can you be?

o

If Herman Cain had made it to where Romney is he'd be wiping up the floor with Obama right now

Thats a very big IF given that Herman Cain was rejected by the GOP primary voters, plus the baggage of harrassment complaints.

o

Littleone--that was that inane Halloween "decoration" in West Hollywood. It also featured a headless McCain, and the property owners were widely criticized and rightly so--leave it to the wingnuts.

As Kate already already pointed way up-thread, hanging a Black man is something else altogether. (Tens of?) thousands of Black people were lynched during the reign of terror.
It's not that they don't know this, though. Their attempts at downplaying are disgusting.

o

Herman Cain? That philandering pizza man? He was as qualified as my cat to be president. GGM...another reason I hope Obama wins is to watch you go into an apoplectic fit.

o

In light of this--what Scott Brown and his staffers are doing stems from the same root.

There is a reason why the Racists flock to the Republicans.

o

"He got the guilty white vote along with the 99.9% black vote so how could he lose."

You do know, don't you, that in the US a President is elected by electoral votes not popular vote. Do you also know that States with the highest percent of blacks, except for Virginia and North Carolina, all went to McCain in the last election?

I also find it very insulting to American voters that you would suggest, yet again, that Obama was elected because he was Black. I suppose it follows then that anyone who voted against him did so because he was Black ?

If one statement is true so is the other. Of course neither is true.

o

Thing is if he were white he wouldn't have won the first time. He got the guilty white vote along with the 99.9% black vote so how could he lose.

and this:

You people have some vivid imagination and you really do need to get over that whole racist thing.

guilty "white vote" and "black vote" and you don't think that's racist to say that?

"Black" folks only make up 13.1% of the population in the US as of 2011. If he won 51% of the vote, gee, that seems like a LOT of white people voted for him. And you say they did that JUST BECAUSE they felt "guilty"? And why are they voting for him now?

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

In this post alone this stupid stuff appears......And you want people to stop calling Right-wing nuts, uneducated, stupid, uninformed, racist. Notice I did not say Republicans because there were and are some Republicans that really are intelligent and want the best for the country.

The Republican party has been kidnapped and the BatCrapCrazy took over. I only hope that after this election the real intelligent people take their party back and levae the trash in the trash can. America does not need this crap.

You people have some vivid imagination and you really do need to get over that whole racist thing.

If Herman Cain had made it to where Romney is he'd be wiping up the floor with Obama right now

They seem to be obsessed by Obama's race.

o

All blacks voted for a black because they are racist. Or at least, that's what GGM seems to be trying to say. I can only suppose then that the years and years and years of elected white leaders points to racism among whites. If blacks vote by colour, then so do whites.
". Get it through your head, the majority of people who didn't vote for him didn't because he is unqualified to be president of our country."
Really? You speak for everyone who didn't vote for Obama? When were you appointed as their spokesman?
Following your rather tortuous logic then, Obama is unqualified because of his colour? Because he has been serving as President of the United States since 2009. If his experience and his mandate from the voters doesn't qualify him, what does?
What a strange view of democracy. What a strange view of the value of your opinions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here