Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joe Biden shines

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 8:03

What a great speech Joe Biden made. He made several superb points and had some great zingers, but in my house, there was agreement that he made one point very well: The way that Obama and Romney make decisions about the American people would be fundamentally different. He used two examples - the auto industry bailout and killing Bin Laden - to illustrate that. Here's one:

When Obama signed the taxpayer bailout of General Motors and Chrysler into law, Biden said, he understood what some of his advisors did not, that "this wasn't just about cars, this was about the people who built and made those cars. And the America those people built."

And even though Romney grew up in Detroit and his father George ran American Motors, "he was willing to let Detroit go bankrupt. I don't think he's a bad guy ... I'm sure he grew up loving cars as much as I did. What I don't understand, what I don't think he understood" is what "saving the industry meant to all Americans, not just auto workers."

Alluding to Romney's role as president of the investment firm Bain Capital, Biden said, "I think he saw it the Bain way. I think he saw in terms of balance sheets and write-offs. Folks, the Bain way may bring your firm the highest profits. But it's not the way to lead our country from its highest office."

What he's saying of course is that Romney won't be making right decisions for America because he doesn't have the right understanding of the complex issues needed to lead the country.

That was a very important point in our house: you can already tell how Romney would "lead" and it wouldn't be right. He would not make the best decisions, he would make decisions, but not the best ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joe Biden shines

Joe was terrific! A bit more sentimental than I need, but he did it well and the audience was genuinely moved. And of course his powerful passages--his voice booming out--just wonderful.

Having his son, the attorney general, nominate him was a nice touch also.

But the other speakers were terrific also--the guy from Wyoming (that dog won't hunt), the woman in blue--sorry, can't remember their names--someone help me out. They were crackling with energy and conviction.

Kate

o

IMO, the Demscrats put the Republicans to SHAME, both in the speech category, as well as what looked to be a more put together, and fun, convention.

Obama, with his relaxed and confident attitude, made Romney's speech seem like it was written by a 5th grader. It also didn't have the sincerity of the president's. I wish I would have heard Biden.

And this is coming from a registered Republican! It is what it is.

o

I agree that everything Biden said was right on.

Romney would make decisions like he did running a corporation. Those decisions always benefit the owners of the corporation and almost never the workers. In other words, they benefit the rich and not the working class. And that, in my opinion, is exactly how he will run the country.

I just wish Biden were a better speech giver. His message was great. His delivery, not so much.

o

Nice to see a grown politician bawl (for real)
He got a good one in on Mittens!

"He said quote, 'I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that the industry has come back,'" Biden said jokingly, referring to an interview Romney gave to a local TV station earlier this month. "And by the way, I'll take a lot of credit for a man having land on the moon, because all the while in school, I rooted for it."

Romney has said that he pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy for the car companies. But GM and Chrysler went into bankruptcy on the strength of a massive bailout that Romney opposed, and that neither Republican President George W. Bush nor President Obama believes the automakers would have survived without.

o

I was surprised that Biden could make such a good speech.

o

He's a natural; the neighbor you like talking to when you're both out in your gardens leaning on rakes.

o

I loved Joe's speech and am waiting for him to massacre the cocky Ryan in the debates. His delivery isn't as smooth as Obama's and Clinton's, but it is from the heart. He clearly got emotional about the soldiers. Remember the GOP never once mentioned the wars they got us into. I love him and Jill. Both couples look so happy in their choices of spouses.

o

Before being chosen for the Vice President, Biden was one of the most respected members on the Hill. That is agreed by everyone from both sides. Only conservatives who aren't familiar with his record and the respect held for Biden by their own reps make fun of Biden.

Obama chose Biden carefully, with very good reason. He is very effective in everything he undertakes and is very affable as he does so. It's why everyone respects him so much, even conservative reps.

I couldn't speak for the new tea party reps though, in their regard for Biden.

I don't believe anyone at all can speak of them with any real knowledge, about much of anything - they have been such a grave disappointment to those who fought for their seat - and nothing to show for their time in office in the way of accomplishment, nothing at all.

o

Biden, the man who stands for women's rights? Do I have the same Biden? Isn't he the Biden who screamed and screeched at Anita Hill when she brought sexual harrassment charges against Clarence Thomas? Anyone remember that? I distinctly remember it because I didn't know who Biden was till I saw him in action for days berating, insulting, demoralizing Anita Hill. Just so he could get his good buddy Clarence to the Supreme Court. Biden is a slimeball. Then again that's why he fits right into the democratic party.

o

Just so he could get his good buddy Clarence to the Supreme Court.

Biden voted against confirming Clarence Thomas.

o

I thought someone was referring to his head.

;)

o

No Molly, not that Biden. The other one.

You know, the V.P.

o

"Isn't he the Biden who screamed and screeched at Anita Hill when she brought sexual harrassment charges against Clarence Thomas? Anyone remember that? I distinctly remember it because I didn't know who Biden was till I saw him in action for days berating, insulting, demoralizing Anita Hill. Just so he could get his good buddy Clarence to the Supreme Court. Biden is a slimeball. Then again that's why he fits right into the democratic party."

How does one come back after making a statement like that? I can only assume that was a troll statement because, honestly, who could be that misinformed? How can you actually believe that a person that you think is a radical Dem. would support Clarence Thomas? That seems highly unlikely. I imagine Molly is one of the dearly departed from the forum.

Swanz, are you out there?

o

Maybe GGMM is remembering Biden's "mishandling" of Anita Hill as referenced below. It was a long time ago; could be the negativity Biden directed toward Anita Hill is what sticks in GGMM's mind. It certainly was memorable. She got no quarter from Biden in those hearings.

August 23, 2008, 1:40 pm Biden and Anita Hill, Revisited
By KATE PHILLIPS
-snip-

"He was basically playing judge," Susan Deller Ross, a Georgetown University law professor and expert in workplace sex discrimination, said of Mr. Biden, adding "the other side was playing advocate" for Mr. Thomas. "I'm sure you remember nobody played advocate for her. I don't think he did well and he bears responsibility for Mr. Thomas being on the court."

Ms. Ross, who was one of the lawyers assisting Ms. Hill, asserts that Mr. Biden treated Mr. Thomas too even-handedly because of the racially charged nature of the hearings. (Remember Justice Thomas' charge that he had been subjected to a "high-tech lynching.") Ms. Ross said that Mr. Biden "was accused of being labeled racist, so the Republicans were blackmailing him and he pushed the levers to make the case look like there wasn't a case when there was."

o

I almost spit on my screen. Biden good buddies with Clarence Thomas??? That was the funniest thing I've read in weeks.

o

Yes, let's remember that Biden voted AGAINST confirming Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court--but let's not sweep under the rug how Biden almost ruined his reputation by what was perceived at the time as his negative reaction to Anita Hill's testimony about Clarence Thomas's alleged sexual harassment.

If Biden had not finally voted against Thomas and if Biden hadn't later apologized for his actions against Hill and if Biden hadn't gone out of his way to support women's issues thereafter (his pro-choice stance; his authorship of the Violence against Women Act; etc.), his goose would have been cooked politically.

Fortunately, Biden did do all those things, so while some of us can still see his face up on that TV screen seemingly grilling Anita Hill, we need to also remember that it was the face of Repub. Senator Arlen Spectar that was particularly outrageous because of his insulting treatment of Anita. Biden may have grilled Anita, but he did not behave insultingly as Spector did. And we need to also remember that Biden also severely grilled Thomas also. In that, he was even-handed. What some women have trouble forgiving is that he didn't side with Anita. However, despite his even-handed grilling of both Clarence and Anita, Biden did finally take a stand and VOTED AGAINST CLARENCE THOMAS.

The hearing was not Biden at his best, but he was genuinely trying to be fair to everyone and he was also aware that his opponents were all set to label him "racist" if he opposed Clarence, while his fellow Democrats were calling him "sexist" for not supporting Hill. He was truly politically caught between that proverbial rock and a hard place.

Biden has spent the past 25 years or more proving he supports women's rights, so I'm willing to give him a pass on Thomas-Hill controversy--though I will never completely forgive him for what went down. On the other hand, when I consider the Republican alternate for 2012--Paul Ryan who, to mention one glaring example, opposes all abortion rights in all circumstances and that includes opposing birth control-- there is no contest who I will support. Biden vs. Ryan--that's easy. Biden is the winner!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Joe Biden and Anita Hill Controversy

o

All I do know and saw and heard myself was his cross examination of Anita Hill and it was disgusting and reprehencible. I totally believed Anita Hill and Joe Biden made her out to be some sleeze. I don't care what his relationship with Clarence Thomas was, as I'm sure it all came down to politicians being the sleeze they are. All I know is Joe Biden is a crude classless man who puts on a front and some of you poor souls actually love him. Sorry, I do not admire or love Joe Biden or any other politician for that matter. His filthy mouth and reputation are still going strong. He's a great VP for Obama, both a disgrace to the offices they hold.

o

Joe Biden wasn't the only one who treated Anita Hill poorly; the right led the attack against her. Smearing Anita Hill: A Writer Confesses

[Clarence] Thomas denied [Anita] Hill's accusations, few witnesses were called to support her (she wasn't the nominee) and the nominee was confirmed, 52 to 48. But that didn't settle the mystery at the heart of those hearings. In front of the whole country and under oath, one of two people had lied. Since one of those people is now a Supreme Court Justice who cast a vote making George W. Bush President, the point is far from moot. And last week the mystery took another turn, thanks to former American Spectator character assassin David Brock, the man designated by the right to destroy Hill's reputation and scrub Thomas'. Brock confesses in a Talk magazine excerpt of his new book, Blinded by the Right, that he had printed "virtually every derogatory and often contradictory allegation" he could to make Hill seem "a little bit nutty and a little bit slutty." If that was all Brock did, we might have nothing more than another sin committed on behalf of the vast right-wing conspiracy. But Brock, who has forged a second career as a recovering conservative, makes one admission that implicates Thomas. Brock says he used information that came indirectly from Thomas to force a retraction from a woman named Kaye Savage, who had come forward in support of Hill. Brock threatened to publicize vicious charges made by her ex-husband in a sealed child-custody dispute.

o

I'm sorry I didn't know we were talking about anyone else but Joe Biden.

o

Molly, you have to vote for Ryan or for Biden. No one else is running for the VP spot.

And as I said above, when I consider the Republican alternate for 2012--Paul Ryan who, to mention one glaring example, opposes all abortion rights in all circumstances and that includes birth control-- there is no contest who I will support. Biden vs. Ryan--that's easy. Biden is the winner!

All your scorn that you so liberally spew around is not going to change the minds of the majority of women out there and the men who support their freedom of reproductive choice, so you are wasting your time fuming against Biden.

Kate

o

Oh my, can't you just imagine him as President, working out agreements with China and the Middle Eastern nations?

o

"All your scorn that you so liberally spew around is not going to change the minds of the majority of women out there and the men who support their freedom of reproductive choice, so you are wasting your time fuming against Biden.

Kate"

Fuming! Maybe that's why you get so irritated with conservatives. We're kind of calm, and you're projecting. Well, except for personal insults; they can be provocative. Any conservatives fuming out there today? I'm not fuming. Must be the Kool-Aid.

o

"Fuming! Maybe that's why you get so irritated with conservatives. We're kind of calm, and you're projecting. Well, except for personal insults; they can be provocative. Any conservatives fuming out there today? I'm not fuming. Must be the Kool-Aid."
Why would you fume? Your party tells lies all of the time and you just ignore it when called on it. Sometimes you guys just act ignorant of it. Other times you deflect and pathetically try to point out the lies of others. I forgot, if it is important you just ignore it (thus "crickets").

That is why people get annoyed with all of you.

o

Oh my, can't you just imagine him as President, working out agreements with China and the Middle Eastern nations?

Actually after his convention speech, I can imagine that. I like him even more than before now, gaffes and all.

o

You can breathe a sigh of relief. Your fears are unfounded. It already happened.

He has already demonstrated he is more adept at diplomacy, relationship building and negotiating than Mitt who showed us what we can expect during his visits to England and Israel. People were holding their breath until he came back to the US not knowing who or what he was going to insult next. Thankfully he wasn't officially representing us.

Office of the Vice President
For Immediate Release:
March 7, 2010

VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN AND DR. JILL BIDEN TRAVEL
TO THE MIDDLE EAST

Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden will depart Washington, DC, for the Middle East on the evening of Sunday, March 7th. They will travel to Israel, the Palestinian Authority and Jordan to discuss the full range of bilateral and regional issues. The Vice President's stop to Egypt has been postponed and will be rescheduled at a later date. President Mubarak will now be out of the country, and the United States and Egypt mutually agreed to postpone this visit.

Monday, March 8th - Jerusalem

The Bidens will arrive in Jerusalem. Their arrival is pooled press. There are no other public events scheduled on this day.

Tuesday, March 9th - Jerusalem

The Vice President:

The Vice President will have meetings with President Shimon Peres, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Tzipi Livni, Chair of the Kadima Party. There will be a pool spray of the Vice President's arrival at the Prime Minister's Residence, and pool sprays at the tops of the meetings with President Peres and Tzipi Livni. Following the Vice President's meeting with Prime Minister Netanyahu, the Vice President and the Prime Minister will each make a statement to the press. This statement will be OPEN PRESS and will take place at approximately 12:20 PM local time (5:20 AM ET).

Dr. Biden:

In the morning, Dr. Jill Biden will visit teachers and children at the integrated Peace Pre-school program at the Jerusalem International YMCA. This visit will be POOLED PRESS.

In the afternoon, the Vice President and Dr. Biden will visit the national grave sites of Yitzhak Rabin and Theodor Herzl and lay a wreath. Afterwards, they will visit Yad Vashem, Israel's Holocaust museum and memorial. Both of these events will be POOLED PRESS.

In the evening, the Vice President and Dr. Biden will have dinner with the Prime Minister and Mrs. Netanyahu. There will be a pool spray at the top of this dinner.

Wednesday March 10th - Ramallah, Palestinian Territories and Bethlehem, Palestinian Territories

The Vice President:

In the morning, the Vice President will have a breakfast meeting with Tony Blair, Envoy of the Quartet on the Middle East and former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. There will a pool spray at the top of this meeting.

Afterwards, the Vice President will travel to Ramallah. The Vice President will first meet with Palestinian National Authority Prime Minister Salam Fayyad. There will be a pool spray at the top of this meeting. Afterwards, the Vice President will meet with President Mahmoud Abbas. Following the meeting with President Abbas, the Vice President and the President will each make a statement to the press. This statement will be OPEN PRESS and will take place at approximately 2:30 PM local time (7:30 AM ET).

The Vice President will then travel to Bethlehem, where he will take a tour of Nassar Stone Factory, known for its marble, and is an example of a successful Palestinian industry. Afterwards, the Vice President will attend a dinner with local civil society leaders. There will be a pool spray at the top of this dinner.

The Vice President will return to Jerusalem in the evening.

Dr. Biden:

In the morning, Dr. Biden will travel to Augusta Victoria Hospital, where she will visit with doctors, nurses and patients and take a tour of the hospital's facilities. Dr. Biden will learn about the hospital's breast cancer outreach program and will visit the radiotherapy unit. She will also visit with children and parents in the pediatric cancer care and kidney care units. This visit will be POOLED PRESS.

In the afternoon, Dr. Biden will visit the Al Kamandjati Music Center in Ramallah where she will meet with teachers and students, and listen to a student music performance. Al Kamandjati provides music lessons, workshops and music programs including concerts for Palestinian children, particularly those living in refugee camps and in marginalized villages in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and southern Lebanon.

Thursday, March 11th - Tel Aviv, Israel and Amman, Jordan

The Vice President:

At 11:30 AM local time (4:30 AM ET) the Vice President will a deliver a speech at Tel Aviv University entitled "The Enduring Partnership Between the United States and Israel." Afterwards, the Vice President will answer questions from university students in the audience. The Vice President's speech and the question-and-answer session are OPEN PRESS, but an RSVP is required.

The Vice President's speech will be streamed LIVE at:
http://www.justin.tv/shimongx#r=w7MdF4U~

Dr. Biden:

In the morning, Dr. Biden will visit Masada, and in the afternoon she will visit a Bedouin Women Crafts Center in Lakiya. Both of these visits are POOLED PRESS

In the afternoon, the Vice President and Dr. Biden will depart en route to Amman, Jordan.

In the evening, the Vice President will meet with King Abdullah. There will be a pool spray at the top of this meeting. Afterwards, the Vice President and King Abdullah will have dinner together.

Friday, March 12th - Amman, Jordan

The Vice President and Dr. Biden will visit and tour Petra in the afternoon. This visit will be POOLED PRESS.

Dr. Biden: Details on Dr. Biden's schedule in Jordan will be released later in the week.

In the evening, the Vice President and Dr. Biden will depart Jordan en route Washington, DC.

"And his visit to China

US Vice-President Joe Biden has arrived in China for talks likely to focus on the economy after the downgrading of US debt and ensuing market turmoil.

China is the US government's biggest foreign creditor, holding $1tn (�608bn) of debt, and has called on it to do more to reduce its budget deficit.

Mr Biden is visiting at the invitation of his counterpart, Xi Jinping, as the Obama administration seeks to strengthen ties with the next generation of Chinese leaders.

Mr Xi is widely expected to take over the chairmanship of the Chinese Communist Party in 2012 and to be formally anointed as president in March 2013.

This visit, which was agreed in January, will pave the way for Mr Xi to visit Washington later in the year.

And when China's current VP visited the US he declared his visit, including meetings with Biden a "full success".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here