Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How are you gonna do that?

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 8:21

I thought Paul Krugman's latest column sums up Mitt Romney's lack of specifics pretty well:

As many people have noticed, Mr. Romney's five-point "economic plan" is very nearly substance-free. It vaguely suggests that he will pursue the same goals Republicans always pursue - weaker environmental protection, lower taxes on the wealthy. But it offers neither specifics nor any indication why returning to George W. Bush's policies would cure a slump that began on Mr. Bush's watch.

In his Boca Raton meeting with donors, however, Mr. Romney revealed his real plan, which is to rely on magic. "My own view is," he declared, "if we win on November 6, there will be a great deal of optimism about the future of this country. We'll see capital come back, and we'll see - without actually doing anything - we'll actually get a boost in the economy."

I think we had this refrain several months ago. People will be SO MUCH happier when Romney is President that it will just HAPPEN! It doesn't matter that there is still low demand for good and services - what is that, economics? Pfft!

In fairness to Mr. Romney, his assertion that electing him would spontaneously spark an economic boom is consistent with his party's current economic dogma. Republican leaders have long insisted that the main thing holding the economy back is the "uncertainty" created by President Obama’s statements - roughly speaking, that businesspeople aren’t investing because Mr. Obama has hurt their feelings. If you believe that, it makes sense to argue that changing presidents would, all by itself, cause an economic revival.

As it happens, Mr. Romney offered a testable proposition in his Boca remarks: “If it looks like I’m going to win, the markets will be happy. If it looks like the president’s going to win, the markets should not be terribly happy.” How’s that going? Not very well. Over the past month conventional wisdom has shifted from the view that the election could easily go either way to the view that Mr. Romney is very likely to lose; yet markets are up, not down, with major stock indexes hitting their highest levels since the economic downturn began.

It’s all kind of sad. Yet the truth is that it all fits together. Mr. Romney’s whole campaign has been based on the premise that he can become president simply by not being Barack Obama. Why shouldn’t he believe that he can fix the economy the same way?

Yes, he is the "not" Obama. Did pick up that phrase from his supporters or did they get it from him? Hmmm.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How are you gonna do that?

Of course, and, after all, Romney is citizen. Obama? The jury is still out for many...

o

No points all curves

o

We'll see capital come back, and we'll see - without actually doing anything - we'll actually get a boost in the economy.

Does the man have any idea of the image he projects when spouting this kind of garbage?

o

Does the man have any idea of the image he projects when spouting this kind of garbage?

Nope, when he looks in the mirror, well, he sees nothing more than the perfect Mitt, the guy that knows it all and is the savior for this country.

He honestly believes that he can do NO WRONG, can fix everything with his presence and that anything and everything can be fixed by following the mantra of the GOP.

Sort of, that is. Until he flip flops on something, on everything and has no idea what he said yesterday, or even that morning for that matter.

The only consistent thing with Mitt is this.

"I'm Mr Perfect, I make the rules for me to follow and everyone else will do as I say, not as I do. I will fix everything with my presence, I'm Mr. Perfect business man, just listen to me and Ignore that person in the White House. We have to get rid of him and "them".

That folks is "the Mitt".

o

The way the campaign has been conducted I continue to believe that there was an entitlement vision and a unfounded Fox vision that the majority of America was a very much low informed public.

The rest they thought could be swayed with ads the reason Mitt did not do any campaigning and only fund raising. It is not working out as they planned.

They are looking for that small number to sway, and what the number that they can block from voting with the Voter ID laws.

o

esh, thanks for the easy link to the NYT article (very well written). I always appreciate easy links to articles that I probably wouldn't see otherwise.
What keeps pulling me back to HT is that learning factor. Of course, one does have to use a little discretion on whose link you are opening.

o

I love it when Romney supporters get a chance to explain things:

WESTERVILLE, Ohio -- In a line that event attendees found a bit puzzling, Mitt Romney warned a crowd of mostly middle-class onlookers on Wednesday not to expect too much tax relief under his administration.

"We have got to reform our tax system," Romney said at a morning event here. "Small businesses most typically pay taxes at the individual tax rate. And so our individual income taxes are the ones I want to reform. Make them simpler. I want to bring the rates down. By the way, don't be expecting a huge cut in taxes because I'm also going to lower deductions and exemptions. But by bringing rates down we will be able to let small businesses keep more of their money so they can hire more people."

And here are some comments from the people that attended that very rally:

"I'm curious what he meant by that," Westerville resident Phil Bentley said of Romney's comment. "I don't know if I have seen those details."

Still, Bentley said, he supported Romney's overall tax plan, which calls for a 20 tax cut across the board for all income brackets, and which Romney insists will remain deficit neutral In fact, none of the half-dozen attendees interviewed after the event expressed concern about the remarks, offering up lines of explanation that one wouldn't often expect at a Republican presidential candidate's rally.

"We need the taxes to stay the way they are because we have to get the debt down," said Margo Belkofer, of Powell, Ohio.

"He's not promoting a tax cut, he is preventing a tax increase," said Jim Bachelder, of Westerville.

Cynthia Beitman, of Westerville, said she was fine with Romney eliminating deductions and exemptions for people like her, so long as he lowered the rates overall for small businesses. "People run small businesses," she exclaimed.

"I thought that line was really good," said Patty Karst of Gahanna, Ohio. "You have to realize as a society that we have to have the funds for infrastructure, the protection of the country and the social programs we support."

Have these people listened to Obama?

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

I find it interesting that the R9omney camp has lots of opinions with regards to just about anything that has absolutely nothing to do with policy.

o

A great topic for this thread, Esh.

Littleone, I believe the problem lies in the people who are always around Mitt. He is a powerful man and has "yes" people in his orbit - people who don't sit him down and tell him the truth about himself. Would he listen? I really don't know, but if yuou are surrounded by people who tell you how great, persuasive, logical, brilliant, accomplished you are - why in the world would you disagree with them? He doesn't hear enough about his weak points so he wasn't prepared to deal with and try to correct them.

He surrounds himself with the wrong type of people - I think that has been his second biggest mistake in this campaign. The first being that he put himself out there as someone he is not and everyone saw through it. He was not an everyday kinda guy or was he that extreme conservative he put himself out there to be - he was a very moderate, almost liberal conservative who kept changing who he was depending upon the audience and the area of the country he was at. People tend to see through that - you cannot fool ALL the people ALL the time.

The vocal conservatives of today don't want no stinkin' moderate conservative - they wanted a conservative as fundamentalist and extreme as so many vocal ones themselves are today. He wasn't it. They would have been much happier, in the long run, with more of a Santorum kind of man - that guy was much more down their alley and Mitt simply isn't nearly enough like Santorum.

It could be that Ryan would have done much better. Ryan IS closer to Santorum in a lot of right wing ways - he worked alone with Akin on that far right wing abortion/"real" rape idea, remember.

The far right love that stuff, eat it up.

Romney, not so much.

Poll numbers are looking pretty good today, aren't they. Here's hoping they stay that way!

o

Steve, I always begin by noting the member who starts the thread, and then mousing over any links included so I know what I'm getting myself into. ;-)

But seriously... I am serious. My anti-virus and other protection occasionally balks at some of the sites linked, so I have to be choosy.

I love Mitt's optimism... everything will magically fall into place if he's elected President! Well, golly gee, that's so nice to know! In fact, it's so nice to know that I don't want to hear ANY details! Not a one! No, really! Surprise us, ok?!

Yikes...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here