Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Student Loans = Holocaust?

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 8:46

There are some days that I look at the people in charge, and I realize the world is DOOMED.

Federal student loans are unconstitutional and put the country on a path toward a WWII-style Holocaust, Rep. Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD) told his constituents yesterday.

Speaking at town hall meeting, Bartlett, who is struggling to keep his seat, responded to an audience member's question about government-issued student loans by saying he perused the Constitution and couldn't find anything in there to justify "that the federal government should be involved in education."

Though he conceded that giving students loans is "certainly a good idea," he went on to express consternation at the possibility that doing something that isn't expressly in the Constitution � such as issuing federal student loans � could lead to genocide.

"If you can ignore the Constitution to do something good today, tomorrow you will be ignoring the Constitution to do something bad," Barlett said. "There are more people in our, in America today of German ancestry than any other [inaudible]. The Holocaust that occurred in Germany - how in the heck could that happen? And when you start down the wrong road, it can be a very slippery slope."

Commenting on his boss's eyebrow-raising remarks, Bartlett campaign spokesman Ted Dacey told the Washington Post the congressman "has always been a strong believer in limited government," and is a "strong supporter of making college accessible to all Americans," evidenced by the fact that he donates "a substantial portion of his salary to help underprivileged students attend college."

Here is a link that might be useful: The Nazis are coming, the Nazis are coming!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Student Loans = Holocaust?

Wow, hard to believe someone would say that out loud. I hope his opponent hammers him over that! Genocide, really?

o

I don't get it. How do student loans lead to genocide? I somehow missed a few of the connections in between.

I'm serious--what is his reasoning? We have too many German immigrants and German immigrants are really Nazis and therefore educations ... sorry, I can't find the connections. Someone explain to me his reasoning--not whether he is right or wrong, but just what in the world he is saying.

Kate

o

I'm sure it somehow relates to how Obama is undermining the Constitution ... .

o

Bartlett, who is struggling to keep his seat

And then he proceeded to offer an example of why he is struggling to be reelected.

o

We have too many German immigrants and German immigrants are really Nazis and therefore educations ... sorry, I can't find the connections. Someone explain to me his reasoning--not whether he is right or wrong, but just what in the world he is saying.

It's simple, really.

The Germans have student loans, and Hitler was once a sudent. And Germans are genetically evil. And there are lots of ethnic Germans in the USA. And... and... Holocaust, understand?

o

What a reach. It's not hard to see why this guy is struggling to keep his seat. Without student loans and grants, my son could not have attended college and become successful. I think it's a good program. Education is always a good investment.

o

More bat crap lunacy!

o

"The Germans have student loans, and Hitler was once a sudent. And Germans are genetically evil. And there are lots of ethnic Germans in the USA. And... and... Holocaust, understand?"

Ohhhh. Sure. That makes sense. Alrighty then. You do realize we get posts as crazy as that right here on HT, right?

All I can say is LOL.

o

Just another Republican trying to get elected by playing to what he thinks his base is.

"Republican Lawmaker Says Federal Student Loans Put Country on ,Slippery Slope, Toward Holocaust"

"If you can ignore the Constitution to do something good today, tomorrow you will be ignoring the Constitution to do something bad," Barlett said.

This Guy makes Palin, Gohmert, O'Donnell & Bachmann come off like Nobel laureates

o

Oh, Kate, it's so simple. See he's saying that student loans are unconstitutional. So, if today you give people student loans which is against the constitution, then tomorrow you will do something else that is against the constitution that is really bad. Oh you know, like spy on people without court approval...listen to their phone calls without court approval...torture people because you don't like them. You know, that kind of thing. Oh, wait, that's already happened.

And let's not miss the point that his original premise that student loans are unconstitutional is wrong. And stupid.

o

There is no requirement in the Constitution that a candidate has to be intelligent to be in Congress, either.

o

Simple:
IF you keep people UNEDUCATED, dumb,they will be like the "the Serfs" in the old kingdoms. They will be easy to contain, manipulated, and vote with the Republicans, because they will always use the Bible Thumping, and the gun clinging tactics. Mobs of uneducated people are the key to the Republican success. Look at the "Flyover zone"...oh yeah, and "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo"-THIS is how they get the votes.

If you educate people, they may have their own minds and REBEL....and heavens, vote Democratic!

Basically, edecated people would mean Holocaust to the Republican party.

o

notto, that does explain it very well.

o

Roscoe Bartlett is an 86 yr. old survivalist nut, prepared to be safe from nuclear disaster in his little cabin in the Monongahela Nat'l Forest.

He sits around Capitol Hill calling for the unveiling of legislation that demands "every citizen to develop an individual emergency plan to prepare for the absence of government assistance for extended periods" and for communities to become capable of providing 20 percent of their own power, food and water if necessary.

Like every citizen doesn't have things to worry about other than being in West Virginia when someone drops the Big One!

o

An 86 year old congressman? Please, get some fresh blood in there!

o

I guess his age explains the German-bashing which went out of style some time ago....

o

Hummm... "being in West Virginia when someone drops the Big One" just might not be such a bad idea. Especially if you know the people there. They know how to live well in hard times but I suspect most of you would not fit in or would want to dirty your hands with truly basic living which they remember and even try to keep alive for new generations.

I am always surprised that people there I never met recognize and welcome me. Even though I haven't lived there in 50 years ever so often I get a note from someone letting me know of an event that might interest me or introducing someone I might want to meet. I might have been a flatlander growing up in a city but family ties and friends are still there.

Growing up practically on a college campus we frequently had guests for a semester or more of those hillbillies for whom you have so much contempt.

o

Some things never go out of style; he recommends stashing silver and jewelry to barter.

o

Elvis, we may get some crazy posts here but none of us are running for congress. While it is not a requirment of the constitution for Congressmen to be sane I would think it would be convenient.

We have debated here before exactly what our Founders had in mind for governmental services. I think it is logical to look at the governments that they were familiar with. England certainly had a government that provided all sorts of benefits for the people-why would they envision a government that didn't?

o

Not only convenient, it's just plain common sense to elect sane representatives. This guy is a few crayons short of a full box, and still living and thinking in WWII terms. Isn't there an age where it simply makes good sense to retire? I think so... and he passed it several years ago.

o

Dog whistle, plain and simple.

Not to mention their constant diminishing of the Holocaust. To begin with.

o

Oh Please Sleepless EDD's whole family are holler dwellers from Eastern Kentucky & Western West Virginia their not morons like this baby wipe! Some of them remember the lessons of Blair Mountain!

o

I don't quite know how the story of a nutty Maryland 6th. District congressman who owns a cabin in the woods of WV is a screed against either the state or anyone living in it.

Most people who live in that part of the world - the 6th. congressional district comprises Allegany, Garrett, and Washington counties, as well as parts of Frederick and Montgomery counties - probably don't have a well stocked disaster-proof hideaway anywhere.

I'm intimately familiar with Montgomery and Frederick counties; getting around anywhere there in an emergency greater than the normally and daily disasterous rush hour traffic is nigh on to impossible. If that dense part of the world was included in a nuclear target zone, most people would be atomic shadows.

o

Labrea, what in the world did I say to get your panties in an uproar? Of course they are not morons. What gave you the idea I even implied it?

Patriciae, please tell me what kind of benefits the British gave to the colonies. I thought the lack of benefits was the primary reason for the Revolution. You know, that "No taxation without representation" thing? The Tea Party was not just about tea.

Duluthinbloom, I think you would have to get on the western side of those mountains.

o

The British government had all the same sort of money squandering bureaus and departments that we enjoy today-if you wanted to do anything you had to pay fees and get permission and stamps and seals and if you were sufficiently important you got government help-like if you were the East India company the government would move your gold shipments in government convoys for free and back you up with troops in those little difficulties in the India backcountry-life as usual. Who exactly, when you think about it, was supposed to pay for the protection of American colonists from French and Native incursions? There were government programs supporting the poor and indigent and orphans-not very nice programs of course. It is a fact that not adding in voting members from the colonies was a serious judgement error on their part but colonies paid much lower taxes and fees than did home country folk so who would have thought they would take it so hard? Rebelling just hadn't been done before on that sort of scale.

o

Sleepless switch it to boxers I don't wear panties not into cross dressing!.
I think what I wrote was clear being the salt of the earth doesn't put you in the same class with the moron in the topic.
Contempt is for him not holler dwellers!

o

Thank you everybody for trying to clear up my confusion.

Should I point out that some of you sound as confused as I am? LOL

I guess if something makes no sense, confusion is a reasonable, indeed downright sensible reaction.

Kate

o

I'm sure it somehow relates to how Obama is undermining the Constitution ... .

Nope-- he's doin that all on his own... with some help from his minions in the cabinet, anyway.

o

Labrea, The old saw says panties. It isn't taken literally by anyone I have heard use it. It means you are upset, probably about something that no one else sees.

I didn't reference the OP moron. In fact I wasn't even referencing the opening topic. I was referring to the statement by duluthinbloom:"Like every citizen doesn't have things to worry about other than being in West Virginia when someone drops the Big One!"

In my post I pointed out that higher education is important to many in the mountaineer states,at least among my kith and kin.(look it up)The costs of education are many including room and board. My family quite properly aided others with limited means during their matriculation. Some insisted on paying something. Some could pay nothing. I can't tell you the times a truck from those hills and hollers would pull up loaded with produce and home canned stuff as a "thank you" and as a touch of home for the student.

My final comment in that first post refers to the fact that many, including the US government like the protection afforded by those mountains in the case of a nuclear attack on the east coast as the worst effects of a blast are mitigated on the eastern side of the mountains. Check out the now obsolete Greenbriar installation.

I don't think anywhere in my post you can point out anything that mentions the "moron" from Maryland favorably or unfavorably.

I think you read my post with eyes blinded by your own bias.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here