Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A big DUH! and the Republicans are wrong again

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 9:09

STUDY: Repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Had No Impact On Military Readiness

Yet, the Republicans want to reinstate DADT.

From the link:
Here's what the study found about the impact of gay, lesbian, and bisexual troops serving openly:

�Repealing DADT has had no overall negative impact on military readiness, including cohesion, recruitment, retention, assaults, harassment, or morale.
�Greater openness and honesty post-repeal may have actually increased understanding, respect, and acceptance.
�Recruitment has remained robust.
�Retention was unaffected by repeal. Only two individuals' departure can be tied to repeal, both military chaplains.
�There has been no increase in violence within units; in fact, many harassment disputes can now be resolved in ways that were not possible when servicemembers could not disclose their sexual orientation.
�Unit morale was not impacted, except on the individual level depending on a servicemember's personal position on the issue of DADT.
�LGB servicemembers did not come out en masse

Here is a link that might be useful: Duh!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A big DUH! and the Republicans are wrong again

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 9:42

When was the last time that the repubs were right? They should be renamed as the "wrong wing conservatives"

Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan 2012
Why Ask? They Don't Tell!

o

There was to be violence rape mayhem countless officers would resign. In defense of the few not every elected repug believed it though there was that promise to go back to the good old days of marginalizing a few good people.It was more the AFA & FRC turds that were the most virulent in their assaults. I can't wait to see Bryan Fischer this weekend at the voter values summit he has always been a flame thrower against Romney

o

Had No Impact On Military Readiness

As if many of us didn't know that back when DADT was still in effect.

o

"When was the last time that the repubs were right? They should be renamed as the "wrong wing conservatives"
Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan 2012
Why Ask? They Don't Tell!"

Maybe your best yet.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 13:18

Cue the Monty Python swishy marching scene.

o

Snoopy's enjoying the crickets.

Maybe I'll go dig up the old threads on this. Just to see who said what.

o

Maybe I'll go dig up the old threads on this. Just to see who said what.

Oh, I remember those threads!

Lots of hand wringing, and deeply felt concern; I had some fainting couches and smelling salts ready, just in case.

o

Me too. Except call me Lucy.

o

I guess I'm not responding because Clinton is the one who passed DADT. Maybe what is going on now is from republicans in office, but it's his legislation. I don't see any point in defending what was wrong then or what is wrong now. Why bother talking about it. It's wrong from beginning to end.

I believe in full right for gays for everything. But I also don't see myself in the group against whom the mud is being slung. The above crap is wrong, but I don't believe in everything republicans do, any more than democrats believe everything democrats do is right. At least, I would hope that not everyone agrees with their party all of the time.

That, and this is one of those "trolling" posts. Or at least it'd be called out as that if the tables were turned.

o

There was to be violence rape mayhem...

I don't know why these anti-DADTs were so concerned about rape. The Pentagon estimates that 19,000 servicewomen were raped in 2010 and that most of the rapes are not reported because commanding officers (some of whom are the rapists) minimize the complaint and complainers are often given a psychological discharge.

Oh, wait. I get it. These are women who are being raped. The whackadoodles are only worried about men being raped.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don't blame the victim (unless the victim is female)

o

Ya but Rob, I never have you in mind when I go 'crickets'. And I doubt anyone else has, either.

o

Kate might.

;)

I do have to wonder who actually backs them. Where are they in my non-cyber world? Who are they? I never once meet up with anyone who even sorta thinks like that. At least no one who verbally expresses thoughts like that. I hear the rest, but extreme stuff? Obscure stuff? I'd love to talk with one and get a better understanding how they came to those kinds of conclusions. It's mind-boggling, and I might understand them more. Doubt it?

o

Why bother talking about it.

Rob - I think it's important to talk about because it's part of the Republican platform to reinstate DADT. I think it's important to point that out. I think it's important people know what they are voting for. You are correct that almost nobody agrees with their party 100% of the time. But, when it comes to basic human rights, I would find it very difficult to support a party that is he11 bent on not supporting those rights.

o

I think I meant "What's the point of discussing it if we all agree." Unless someone speaks up? We'll just agree it's pointless to reinstate DADT. Not that someone wanting to reinstate it isn't notable. It is noteworthy. I just can't see it A) happening or B) who it is that would really do it.

Basic Human rights. I don't think I'm into denying anyone basic human rights. But as an American, I find freedom a more basic right than many things. Freedom from tyranny fo the masses or from government mandated things, for instance. I think all people are into having human rights, not a leftist ideal at all. Fringe idiots are fringe idiots. They want to infringe on all ideals as much as they can get away with. I think those idiots are few and far between. That's what I meant when I said, what's to talk about?

:)

o

Oh, I see. Yes, I agree, not much to discuss when we all agree :-)

My point is that one major political party put in their platform to reinstate DADT. Do you think they wouldn't do it if they had control of the White House and Congress? I don't see this issue as only fringe idiots wanting to do it. It's in the platform.

o

I wouldn't put anything past those who are still in the "party" these days. Those few who block all legislation and try to bully others come to mind. You know of whom I speak. Unless someone else wants to speak up?

But as to the everyday common Americans backing it? Nope. I don't think they're following their constituents at all. I don't know of anyone who thinks gays don't deserve rights and I live in the buckle of the bible belt. What I think the constituents find important aren't getting addressed in the Party.

But then, aren't all Americans impotent in what's going on, spinning our wheels in the mire? I don't think anyone knows where to start. What's worked before isn't working anymore.

o

Even if we agree, we might learn from each other.

o

Well, I think public opinion has changed on DADT and on gay marriage in the last few years. Just a few years ago, I had conversations with people about gay marriage and they were totally against it. They thought I was crazy for saying "why do you care? what does it have to do with you?" Had the same conversation with one of those people just recently and he's changed. He's fine with gay marriage. Mostly. I still think it makes him uncomfortable, but he's getting there.

So, perception is changing, but the party is not keeping pace. And they won't as long as the extremists are controlling the message. And as long as people continue to vote for the party, ignoring large parts of their platform, there's no reason for them to change.

o

Well said, Jill... and I find nearly the same thing to be true.

Change often takes time... even when we're taking about our fellow human beings, and how people view or treat one another. Many fear or dislike that which they don't understand or know about... but in this case, I think religion and extremism has played a very large role in NOT allowing public opinion to change quick enough.

Just the amount of intolerance still out there says a lot. Republicans might do well to dump off the extremists at the next exit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here