Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kansas Threaten to Take Obama's Name Off Ballot

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 9:45

My bright red state is up to no good again. I swear they go out of their way to make national fools of themselves!

From Kansas City Star:
Republican leaders in Kansas are considering whether President Barak Obama is truly a citizen of the United States and whether they should strike his name from the November presidential ballot.
The objection was filed by Joe Montgomery, a communications coordinator for the College of Veterinary Medicine at Kansas State University. He spoke before the all-Republican State Objections Board Thursday, arguing that "there is no certified legal documentation provided by (Obama's) counsel".
Obama's mother was born in Kansas but his father was born in Kenya. That alone does not make Obama a U.S. citizen. But the long-form birth certificate Obama released shows he was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, and Hawaii officials confirm he was born there. That would make Obama a legal U.S. citizen.
Montgomery, though, claims the birth certificate was doctored and questions whether Obama is truly a U.S. citizen since his father was not an American.
The Kansas Objections Board consists of three Republican politicians: Secretary of State Kris Kobach, Attorney General Derek Schmidt, and Lt. Gov. Jeff Colyer. After hearing arguments Thursday, the Board voted to delay until Monday a decision on whether to take the President's name off the ballot. They want to hear from the President and receive more documentation on this issue.

It is so embarrassing sometimes to admit I live in Kansas--in one of the few blue counties, I quickly add.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Kansas Leaders Threaten to Take President Obama’s Name Off Ballot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kansas Threaten to Take Obama's Name Off Ballot

Good idea. GO KANSAS.

o

Good grief! I feel for you, Kate.

I just got lucky, I guess, being born in a nice blue state.

I had thought that after the excursions of both that Texas sheriff and his crew, and Trump's fiasco... both taking vacations or sending representatives to Hawaii to scope out the real deal, that such ignorance was pretty much over. I guess not. Just, wow. What does one say? How does one follow such... what's the word I'm looking for... absurdity?

o

Can they make themselves look any more stupid?

o

They sure can, they can actually remove Obama's name from the ballot.

Question is, can they really legally do this and get away with it or will the feds step in and prevent them from taking the action?

Question is, will it really make a difference or will the people just write in Obama's name anyways, and potentially more people do so out of total disgust over such an action being taken by one political party in an attempt to deny the opposition a chance at a victory?

o

it doesn't appear this wack-a-doodle is a member of the elected assembly so I doubt he could do anything. Unless of course the assembly agrees with him which is not possible...right? It's not ...right?

o

I was just reading this bit elsewhere, and thought it appropriate:

"Free speech, when it's abused, can lead millions of people to believe a lie. Thus, up to a third or more of Republicans still tell pollsters that they think the president of the United States is not an American citizen. This is little different from ignorant Islamists who think the American government could be behind a blunt attack on their religion."

o
the BIG lie

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 10:28

Adolf Hitler , Mein Kampf, vol. I, ch. X

...that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying.

The GOP has learned well, from the master of the Big Lie

Here is a link that might be useful: The Big Lie

o

After hearing arguments Thursday, the Board voted to delay until Monday a decision on whether to take the President's name off the ballot. They want to hear from the President and receive more documentation on this issue.

Oh, good grief!

They can't be serious, can they?

o

In case you were wondering, here is the t-partier Montgomery's exact argument:

Barack Obama, according to multiple sources, was not born to a citizen father. His father was never even admitted to this country as a resident alien. Barack Obama Sr. retained his British and Kenyan citizenship and passed them onto his son, which Mr. Obama has publicly claimed on his Fight the Smears website. The Supreme Court specified that natural-born citizenship inherently excludes dual citizenship through a citation in U.S. v. Wong Kim Ark (which was citing U.S. v Rhodes, noting that one could only be a British subject or a natural-born citizen, and not hold both citizenships): All persons born in the allegiance of the King are natural-born subjects, and all persons born in the allegiance of the United States are natural-born citizens.

He also claims that the official birth certificate is forged or doctored, consisting of 15 different scans cobbled together.

Can't these t-partiers find anything else to do in life--like maybe collect bottle caps--to occupy their spare time, other than trying to play faux-legal expert?

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Obama Birther Challenge

o

Now, there's a scary thought... that the GOP might mine information to use from a madman's writings...

o

Whats funny is that even if Kansas and some of those other 'fruitcake' red states manage to take Obama off the ballot, he still wins the electoral college.

o

Yes, David, but even stranger is that Romney will easily win in this bright-red state. Shenanigans to eliminate Obama from consideration are not even needed. We are not even remotely one of those swing states blowing in the wind.

Actually, I have enough faith in Kansas to believe that a fairly large number of Kansans would write-in Obamas name if the State removed Obama's name. However, Romney would still win the state as a whole.

Kate

o

It just struck me that Winston Churchill clearly wasn't English. Because his mother was American . . .

o

And given the era he lived in, I doubt if he even had a birth certificate!

Kate

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 11:55

"Whats funny is that even if Kansas and some of those other 'fruitcake' red states manage to take Obama off the ballot, he still wins the electoral college."

"Shenanigans to eliminate Obama from consideration are not even needed."

It's an admission of irrelevance... not smart.

o

For the first time, today I listened to full speech delivered by Paul Ryan. This guy gives Romney gravitas. The substance of the speech, the style of delivery...it was very Palinesque. And this guy is supposed to be one of the young lions...one of their 'intellectuals'.

The speech was so obviously geared to the base. There was no substance whatsoever. First five minutes was patriotic platitudes trying to frame Obama as unpatriotic and painting the dire state of the economy. Next five minutes were the typical social issues, especially abortion. Last five was focused on what a great President Romney will be. What an absolute lightweight!

Nowhere in his speech did he deal in any kind of substantive detail.

-Ron-

o

It just struck me that dementia is striking a certain political party...short-term memory loss, poor judgement, inability to learn something new.

-Ron-

o

Does CW live there?

o

What I'd like to know is... who let all the fruitcakes out into the public domain? It would appear that no stone has been left un-turned. Good grief!

Ron, you left out problem solving skills and that moral compass thing. I don't know if they're both indicative of dementia, but they do fit the profile you're going after. ;-)

Seriously, I just can't believe the type and depth of animosity shown toward President Obama... it's simply not logical, by any stretch of the imagination.

o

This numbnut's theory would make the follow presidents illegitimate:

Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) born of Irish immigrants
Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809) English Mother
James Buchanan (1857-1861) Irish Father
Chester Arthur (1881-1885) Irish Father
Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921) English Mother
Herbert Hoover (1929-1933) Canadian Mother

In the US citizenship is not "passed" through the parents. If you are born on US soil, you are a citizen of the US (even if you are here illegally and Mexican - oh the horror!).

o

If you are born on US soil, you are a citizen of the US (even if you are here illegally ...

OMG! We've had 'anchor babies' as U.S. presidents!

o

Can win one way must be damned to try another! Like the baby wipes on here who knocked the stimulous for ages kept moving the goal posts around still are for that matter. 5 years from now their going to be harping if health care is so good why do teenagers still get acne can anyonbe answer me that you know the type it's every other tea thing that whines about taxes on here.

o

The bewilderment and outrage is almost a palpable thing... but it's true... we have had anchor babies as Presidents. Wait for it... another flip flop...

o

What I'd like to know is... who let all the fruitcakes out into the public domain?

Amazing, isn't it? If you keep voting for the party that keeps moving towards fruitcake-ville, they will keep moving toward fruitcake-ville at a faster and faster pace.

What I wonder is how far into fruitcake-ville living will it take before people realize what they've allowed to happen and do something about it.

o

When you go on to Wikipedia, it states that John McCain was born in a US Military Hospital on the Coco Solo Military Base in the Panama Canal Zone.

Problem is though...that hospital was built in 1941 and John McCain was born in 1936.

I'll leave it to the birthers to work out the discrepancies.

-Ron-

o

Now, there's a scary thought... that the GOP might mine information to use from a madman's writings...

My question was how one might be so familiar with said madman's writings, that she could quote him so eloquently.

o

Bill, it's very simple. Just google it--you too can get exact quotes in about 2 minutes.

Kate

o

The GOP can be described this way, very simply put.

"the inmates are running the asylum." It's that simple.

o

What do you google? And if you google the book, how do you come up with the appropriate quote?

o

You would probably want to Google "quotes by famous people" or "quotes by Adolph Hitler from Mein Kampf", or something along those lines, Bill. Then, you simply look for the quote you want. Websites with famous quotes are numerous.

People also read all sorts of books out of interest, to gain an understanding of men like Adolph Hitler, or others who fit the same general description. It wouldn't be too out of line to consider it historically significant, in that we might want to learn from the past, or the mistakes of others, so history does not repeat itself. Sometimes, people just find the workings of certain bent minds to be fascinating, like reading about serial killers. Reading a book that was written by a man like Hitler doesn't mean anything, really... except that one finds the material or the person who wrote it interesting.

It's not really my cup of tea, preferring fiction to non-fiction... but others might find it a good read. Who knows?

o

So this Joe Montgomery has dropped his complaint because of the backlash. However, does this mean that the State Objections board, of which Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach is the head, have to stop pursuing this?

Also this Kris Kobach is one of Romney's chief liaisons in Kansas.

Birthin' and baggin' along...........

-Ron-

o

He is confused. He meant to say he didn't think he
was on the ballot in Kansas anymore.

o

Here is the latest info. I can find about the status of the case--but there definitely is some confusion about what will or won't happen.

Kansas City Star--as of late last night
Joe Montgomery said he thinks angry phone calls to his office and home were designed to intimidate him.

"There has been a great deal of animosity and intimidation directed not only at me, but at people around me, who are both personal and professional associations," Montgomery wrote to Secretary of State Kris Kobach in an email. "I don�t wish to burden anyone with more of this negative reaction, so please immediately withdraw any action on this objection."

Montgomery, a communications coordinator at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Kansas State University, told The Wichita Eagle that he expects the state�s Board of Objections, which heard his complaint Thursday, to drop the issue.

Kobach's office said it hasn't decided how to proceed yet. It still has a meeting tentatively scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday in Topeka.

"Once an objection has been filed, the board has to meet, and there are two possible outcomes: uphold or deny," said Brad Bryant, the deputy assistant secretary of state for elections.
---------------------------------------

That news article seems to indicate that the Board will go ahead and rule on the President's eligibility regardless of Montgomery's withdrawal. However, the New York Times has a slightly different take on the situation:

The state will continue to try to obtain the birth certificate, and officials will meet on Monday as scheduled to close the case officially. But without the petition, Mr. Obama will remain on the ballot, Secretary of State Kris W. Kobach told The Associated Press.

NY TIMES article
------------------------------------------------

The Huffington Post also adds this interesting bit of information:

state Rep. Ann Mah (D-Topeka). . . accuses Kobach of pandering. ....
"Kobach has been waiting for this moment for a long time. The pretense that this has any validity and needs further investigation is ridiculous. Kobach seems to enjoy this type of thing. It panders to his base of birthers."

Kobach, an informal adviser to Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, said at the board meeting that he was not acting in a partisan role, but rather wanted as much information as possible before the board made a final decision. . . .

UPDATE: 7:06 p.m. -- The Kansas secretary of state's office sent out a statement Friday saying that the state Objections Board will meet as scheduled Monday morning. The statement said the meeting, which starts at 10 a.m. CT, will consider Montgomery's complaint and his decision to withdraw the objection. Kobach's spokeswoman, Kay Curtis, told the Topeka Capitol-Journal that the withdrawal is "unprecedented" and the meeting would be held to accept it.

Huffington Post article
--------------------------

In other words, I'm not real clear what is happening now. Sounds to me like the Board still intends to rule on the merits of the [withdrawn] complaint. Anything goes if there is a chance to be a conservative/t-party hero, I guess.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here