Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm bigoted towards the KKK

Posted by Roughseas none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 9:54

from one of the posts below, it seems some people think that being against any group is wrong & bigoted
If so,Let me clear :
I am a bigot
I'm bigoted against the KKK,
I'm also bigoted against other Christian groups who think
they should determine how others live, I'm bigoted against
all religions who put women or children or minorities or gays
on a lower status or put males on a higher status.

I'm bigoted against those who believe their religion gives them special rights to be bigoted.

I hope you'll join me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm bigoted towards the KKK

In that respect, I guess I am a bigot. But it boils down to being a bigot against hatred and control, which is not a bad thing.

o

It's the old turnaround by I needed to choke you because what your saying offends me BS. It the usual delivery of it forum or not.

o

labrea.. I'm not sure understand your post. are you offended by what I posted or is what you posted aimed in another direction?

o

I cannot join you because all would not be in my mind as being bigoted.

Bigoted would have to be more of how I acted verbally or physically to your examples.

o

My interpretation is that there's a time to be offended, and a time to let things go... and Americans, in general, have taken being offended and offending others to whole new levels within the past few decades.

If one spews hate, that's what one can expect in return. If one is decent, decency is what they should expect. Aren't we all supposed to treat others as we want to be treated? Isn't that the whole premise of being decent or having a moral compass?

o

Can I just feel sad for them, and hope (pray) that they'd be different? I don't wanna even be bigoted towards them. I wish they'd quit hating and hurting. It's ok if that's what you want to do. I won't begrudge you that. I admit, I have anger towards the highjackers (still don't hate them), as I am quite puzzled by their animosity and why the targeted those they targeted. WHY?! For instance. I understand you!

o

I exclusive in my approva of many things I exclude much & many from my approval or conditional approval. I exclude quite a few folks form this forum but of course st of them already know that & what is it worth a tinkers damn.
Much different than a law of the books now a law on the books is worth a lot more than a tinkers damn & any law that screw my life is worthy of more than disapproval.

o

hmmmm, obviously didn't write very well.

It's NOT bigotted to be against those who want to steal my vote, who want to chattel women or minorities or who don't want a religion to rule the country.

speaking & acting against those things is not an acting of bigotry as CW & Demi & Mrsj seem to believe.
It's the right thing to do.

o

OK I'm on board now.

o

OK I'm on board now.

Me too.

o

Count me in.

o

Roughseas, I can't believe that it is bigoted to be against racism, sexism, or any other kind of "ism" that reduces anyone's rights. It is not bigoted. It is fair.
But, we may disagree about the language - I'll join in principle.

o

Not sure 'bigoted' is the right term. But I get what you're saying. Count me in!

o

Just saw this. Oh no Roughseas it was commenting on the FRC & AFA approach to being politicized Christian. We will eff you up till you scream & then shouting your anti christian BS.

o

I used the term "bigoted" , took it from a GGM post in the "baseless marriage" thread. GGM accused those who don't want the christians to make the laws of being bigoted.

Maybe I should drink more coffee before I post!

o

Ah yes. I read that newspeak gem: calling out the bigots makes you the bigot.

Not to worry Roughseas, we got it alright. (Mugs up!)

o

Roughseas wrote

I used the term "bigoted" , took it from a GGM post in the "baseless marriage" thread. GGM accused those who don't want the christians to make the laws of being bigoted.

=====================================================

I do agree you need another copy of coffee if you derived this from my post. LOL This forum is like the bible, everyone interprets what's written to fit their beliefs. It is difficult sometime to make one's point without it being misinterpreted. I know I sometimes try to shorten a thought but in the process the reader will miss my point. I see it happens to all of us and is one of the dowfalls of not being able to talk face to face.

o

I read that newspeak gem: calling out the bigots makes you the bigot.

I noticed that response for calling out racism as well. These responses come from the right, so I've wondered who originated that illogical charge. It's a convenient deflection for not having to recognize prejudice and discrimination. But let someone say 'happy holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas' and it's an all out culture war and discrimination against Christians. Odd.

o

Fourth word of a sentence PC already tells you which side of the fence the creature is sniffing.

o

It's a convenient deflection for not having to recognize prejudice and discrimination.

I think it's a strategy to shut people up.

As you mention racism--I used to think the reason for the denial was that rightwingers don't want to talk about it. When, in reality, all the denial, deflection and derailing is done because they do not want us to talk about it because when we do, it reminds everyone of the roots of Racism:

It was Conservatives who defended slavery. It was Conservatives who founded the KKK. It was Conservatives who established a regime of lynch-mob terror. It was Conservatives who installed Jim Crow. It was Conservatives who fought desegregation and the Civil Rights Act. It was Conservatives who invented the "Southern Strategy".

It's Conservatives who fought and still fight Equal and Human Rights for all.

Not Liberals.

o

Maddie, that makes sense. In the same mode of not mentioning Iraq during the RNC.

o

I would concur. Moving forward through time, it's still that same mindset who oppose women's rights, equality for the lgbt community, etc...

o

Me-I've learned that people who exclaim against injustice are just moaning and complaining and whinging and whining instead of just getting over it or trying to do something different if they are blocked in their pursuit. To acknowledge the power of racism and sexism is to not be trying hard enough.

o

It is why States Rights are being pushed. The people in power are aware that the US is fast becoming a country of Color. The majority will be different.

There is no way to control the change of the growing racial makeup of the citizens but there are attempts to control where acceptance will not have to be accepted legally hence "States Rights"

It does not stop at Race door IMO the Women's door knock is the other phase of control. Deny women rights you can control their power structure too. You control and reverse these movements you can have the old white men sitting at the decision table with their white haired wig hats on their heads making all the decisions once again. Then and only then all will be good in the world. So they think.

o

I times I am de bigote. I think it looks great, wifey no likey.

o

You mean mindsets like Emmett Burns Jr, Jodik?

o

Maybe you're referring to mindsets like Rep. Joe Donnelly, D-Indiana and Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., who both flatly reject our President�s view on same sex marriage.

o

Old white men..... LOL, I think the day of old white men telling any woman today to do anything she doesn't want to do is far fetched. The old white men would get their old white butts kicked from here to eternity.

US is becoming a country of color?? What does that mean exactly? I haven't heard that one. I think there is too much Obama brainwashing going on.

o

I think the reference is to the rate of population growth amongst Americans who are not white, particularly Latino's and Asians. I forget the projection date exactly but I believe it by 2025 whites will be in the minority.

o

The white demographic is on its way to becoming a "majority minority": it now only represents 63.4 percent of the U.S. population.

According to demographer William Frey, the U.S. white population is projected to become the minority - an estimated 47 percent of the population - by 2050. Some sources predict the shift will come sooner, in the early 2040's.

o

Ok, yes I understand and see that happening all around me. Not with Asians, but with Latino's first and then African Americans. Where I live the Latino's out number the AA 3 to 1 in children.

o

Maddie, that makes sense. In the same mode of not mentioning Iraq during the RNC.

Or never mentioning Bush.

I would concur. Moving forward through time, it's still that same mindset who oppose women's rights, equality for the lgbt community, etc...

Yes, it's people with the same regressive mindset who continue to fiercly oppose human rights, even try to undo all progress made.

o

The general population of the U.S. is becoming more racially varied and whites will be a minority (according to one of those dates), but if you check the seats of power--big business, government, and such groups that make the decisions that affect the lives of the general population--the seats of power are still overwhelmingly white males.

In other words, the seats of power are lagging way behind the changing population, so yes, "old white men" (although a number aren't very "old") are still controlling and shaping the lives of the decreasingly white general population.

That is why groups such as enlightened women, lgbt people, and current racial minorities keep pushing to get more "diversity" into the seats of power--so that those who decide what shape and destiny our lives will take will be more reflective of the general population they are trying to control.

Good example: Look at the gender make-up of nearly every (probably ALL) legislative body in the U.S.--heavily white male dominated. Women at best make up a quarter (and probably a lot less) of the lawmakers. It is those white male dominated lawmakers who pass laws that try to deny women their freedom of choice.

White males still rule--unfortunately.

Kate

o

Well then... I think it will be great if our planet makes it past the predicted climate tipping point of 2020, and rolls into the 2040's with a more diversely mixed population overall. Then perhaps we'll have a shot at a more diverse representation to go along with our melting pot... where the candy colored coating of race and nationality melts in the House and Senate, and not in our hands, rather like m&m's! Wouldn't that be wonderful?! I do think so!

Women and other minorities of today and tomorrow deserve equal and accurate representation... something we seem to be lacking at the moment.

o

women and other minorities deserve equal and accurate representation...so... run for office.

o

This rosy future depends on the hope that non-white/non-males will always make the best or rightest decisions. Realistically, that is not more likely than that the current rulers will do so.

o

Therefore, let's leave the imperfect white men in charge of life in the U.S.--since women and racial minorities are not perfect?

Sorry, but that argument won't float. Besides, why would you want to argue that white men should be in charge when they already are outnumbered by women and soon will be by nonwhite groups?

jmc--women and nonwhites are running for office. Didn't you notice Hillary? And some guy named Obama?

I said we are encouraging women and nonwhites to run for office--but if the voters keep putting white men in instead, we need to keep working on changing the voters' attitudes. But that does not address the top white men in Big Business and the media and other powerful groups promoting their own kind--white men--up to the top.

My point was that too many people think that things are getting more "equal" in the U. S., but if you check the centers of power, things are still unequally weighted in favor of white men as being the real power brokers in our country. And with that statement, I am not trying to "blame" anyone, but just trying to awaken people to the actual, real situation of our lives, as opposed to (for instance) the false impression created by TV shows that women and minorities are often running things. At the very top, where final decisions are made, things have not changed much at all. White males still prevail. That is simply a true fact.

Kate

o

Obama is as "white" as anybody, so that example doesn't work. Hilary's eyes make me shiver, I would be damn scared if that woman was in charge of my family's fate, and it's unfortunate that she has had as much power and influence as she has, IMO.

This idea that white men in power make decisions that favor all white men is as silly as the idea that all black people know each other, or that all Asians naturally stick together. White men in power make decisions that favor the people in the power group, half of whom are women, and not of all of whom are white. White men in power don't care at all about other white men who are not in the group.

So that is just how it will go once "minorities" are no longer minor, and have the power. Those former minority people who are not in the power group will not be favored.

You are chasing a phantom. There is no fairness in politics. Power corrupts. But sure, throw the current white men out, what's the difference?

o

I think no one knows exactly why another person thinks the way they do and to extrapolate motivations and reasons from one's opinion about a subject to the point of "pronouncing" them a bigot, racist, or thief, or a plethora of often used derogatory terms on this form is more than unfair and judgmental--it seems to be part of a compelling need to feel superior to those that think differently.

I have found there is no amount of coffee that will stop a true liberal from doing this.

I don't agree with hurting anyone.
I don't agree with discriminating against anyone.

But I'm not going to judge the soul of those that do, pronounce them less worthy as a human being than anyone else, or pronounce their motivations.

I certainly do not believe in making a list of posters and suggesting to others what they think about a subject they have not commented on:

___
"speaking & acting against those things is not an acting of bigotry as CW & Demi & Mrsj seem to believe."
__

That appears a little bigoted to me.
Of course, the OP admits bigotry.

I would rather help change that about them if it is possible. But it's their right to believe what they believe, on a personal level. The problem of course comes in when someone in a position of authority with power of legislation comes into play that thinks differently than we do:

"You're a bigot no you're a bigot you're a racist no you're a racist no you're a pervert."

It takes nothing special for anyone to note what they think is wrong with society and pronounce poetic lamentations about what "should be" and who is "at fault."

It takes someone special to get up and actually do something about what they think.

To that end, they are getting exactly the government they deserve.

o

I'm all for 225 years with no white men in charge.
They've been automatically placed in positions of power, so it always makes me snort that when a whiteguys says "select the most qualified" for the supreme court etc. They sure as heck weren't worried about that when only white guys were up for the position.

o

Dublin, If you'd read the posts around my last one, you might observe that some are claiming underrepresentation. Last I checked, Hillary Clinton is not in an elected position.

o

jmc--I enjoy reading your posts.

o

You are chasing a phantom. There is no fairness in politics. Power corrupts. But sure, throw the current white men out, what's the difference?

I agree power corrupts to a point that to get and keep the power in the environment today there is a degree of corruption necessary.

I think the Health Care Bill a is a good example. It was political suicide for the President. But he had to accept a degree of corruption for the better good.

You have had many express a desire for Affordable Health Care but when it looked like it would come with a political cost for their personal corruption it was dropped.

Now that it has crawled to becoming a reality. You have the corruption politician saying throw it away. Not strengthen but dispose. The profit for the politician is the insurance company campaign funds the corrupt politician will receive.

I still am amazed how easy it is to convenience people with an argument that it has so many pages the politician could not read the bill. Many of these law makers are attorneys. How the he11 did they get through school. None of their required reading has 10 pages. But these elected official cannot read past ??? pages. Maybe this argument works because people do not read? It does make Santorum "Not Smart" analysis true.

o

Hide your heads in the sand if you wish, but the simple truth is that the POWER CENTERS are controlled predominately by white men. Just look up the statistics--the numbers don't lie.

I was simply pointing out the irony of white men telling everyone else (women, racial minorities, and yes, white men who are not in the POWER CENTERS) what they should be doing, according to white men.

And jmc, you responded to my earlier post by saying that women and racial minorities should run for office. I said they are running for office (Hillary ran for President; Obama ran twice for president--to cite two prominent examples) and that we have been encouraging women and racial minorities to run for office long before jmc came up with his bright idea.

pnbrown, you are right--Obama is half white. He is also half black, and for those Americans who object to taking "orders" from a black person, "half" is more than enough to get their dander up. Haven't you noticed?

I have no idea why my simple factual statement about there being more men in the POWER CENTERS than other groups has evoked such a negative reaction to my point. It is so easy to verify, for instance, that ALL U.S. presidents have been male and that women make up --what is it now--less than 10% of the Senate, which means the Senate is over 90% male, and if we checked those figures, we'd find that the 90+% male senators are mostly white, to boot.

Why have women's groups and minority groups and lgbt groups been encouraging women/racial minorities/lgbt people to run for office for decades and decades and decades? Not just because it's "fair" but because they assume that there are missing viewpoints, viewpoints that don't get enough attention or exposure, viewpoints that the majority think are not relevant because representatives from those groups (and in large enough numbers) are missing. Not that every woman, every racial minority, every lgbt is going to have the same values and priorities--no one is claiming that. But with good representation from all those groups, you increase the likelihood that certain issues important to them as a group will rise to the surface and get the attention they deserve.

If the 19th century Congress and presidency had 50% women in their ranks, I bet women would not have had to lobby for 100 years to get the vote. It was the all-male congress and presidency (and judicial) that refused to give women the vote.

And if todays legislatures and governors had at least 50% women, racial minorities, and lgbt people in its ranks, I bet voter laws discouraging certain groups from voting (not the powerful white males, of course) would have had a lot more trouble getting passed in several states.

I doubt that the attention to violence against women issues in the past couple decades would have occurred if not for the spur provided by the number of women gaining seats in the lawmakers power centers--even though the number of women is still quite low. The contemporary women's movement had to do a lot of lobbying for a long time to get the predominately white male lawmakers to pass laws giving women some protections on that score.

Just a couple of examples from the world of politics. They don't address the old [white] boys club of power in a number of other fields that control what happens in our country. What do you think the top positions in the insurance and pharmaceutical companies consist of? Mostly white males. Who controls the banking system at the top levels? Mostly white males. Any place BIG MONEY congregates--controlled by mostly white males.

OK--for those of you who over-react--I never said ALL white males or ALL women or ALL of any group, so don't throw that objection in my face. I said "predominately" white males in POWER CENTERS--NOT all white males. The figures are there readily available--should take you a total of 2 minutes to google and find them.

And yes, I am saying that it can make a difference what gets focused on and emphasized. Will it ALWAYS? No. I never said it would. But I repeat: I find it very ironic not only that predominately white men run the centers of power in this country when they already are nearly a minority of the American population, and I also find it doubly ironic that posters on this forum are so upset with me for pointing out a simple, factual truth.

Kate

o

Last I checked, Hillary Clinton is not in an elected position.

She was until she resigned from the U.S. Senate to become Secretary of State.

Having more women and minorities in elected office may influence social policy, but I suspect little influence on foreign policy. In the higher levels of government power, few, if any, can pass vetting if they are not in general agreement with the imperial agenda of the U.S., and the allocation of military funds to support those goals.

o

I don't know if you are talking to me, Kate, but I'm not upset with you in the least. I like opposing opinion, rather than getting upset. In any case, I'm not opposed to women having power.

So long as they are good-looking :)

o

Good, pnbrown, glad to hear you are not upset.

You were doing great until that last sentence, : (

Kate

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 16:33

And get the housecleaning done before they go to the office.

o

if only we had good looks required for male candidates. romney looks like Herman Munster, obama looks like a stick.

how about Brad Pit vs Halle Berry?

:)

o

I'd rather Halle was in charge. She can be President, you bet there would be a good voter turn-out.

o

bbhoy just loves to walk on semi-thawed ice on the lake!

Crrrrrrr--ck!

I can remember a time in my younger days when if Robt Redford had run for office against Paul Neuman, it would have taken me forever to make up my mind which one to vote for! Would have added a bit of zing to the electoral process, however.

Kate

o

Yes that would be something to see Halle Berry run for President. You could see the stampede of men to the polls.

I am with you Kate Robt Redford and Paul Neuman, would have been good eye candy for the ladies back in the d ay.

o

Well there's your answer for getting a woman in the oval office. It ain't gonna be Hilary, for a clue.

o

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 19:00

bbhoy just loves to walk on semi-thawed ice on the lake!

Crrrrrrr--ck!

I can remember a time in my younger days when if Robt Redford had run for office against Paul Neuman, it would have taken me forever to make up my mind which one to vote for! Would have added a bit of zing to the electoral process, however.

Kate

Kate, this is a side note, but when I was a teenager and in the hospital for about ten days, I had the most beautiful young nurse, she was in her late twenties. She looked almost identical to Sharon Tate, but taller, and wore her hair in a straight ponytail, a crisp white nurse's uniform and hat.

She told me that she met Paul Newman and Robert Redford a few years earlier when they were filming Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid--I want to say she said she was in Colorado, but I'm not sure, it was decades ago.

She regaled me with descriptions of Paul Newman's twinkling eyes and Robert Redford's good looks and charm and said she spent considerable time talking and flirting with them. I'm sure they were equally as charmed. What a story to take to your old age!

o

Well there's your answer for getting a woman in the oval office. It ain't gonna be Hilary, for a clue.

Okay good idea pnbrown, you can start the campaign to recruit Halle to be the first female President. I think it would be a landslide of the male vote.

o

I'm more of a Clive Owen, Gabriel Byrnes when in his mid 40's kinda gal. Dark and a tad bit rough kind of looks rather than the smooth, blonde pretty boys - my apologies to those who like the pretty boys ;)
Not young either, I think men look MUCH more attractive when they hit their 40-50s.

As for females, I could never tell what a male would think incredibly attractive, I don't have that knack. However, I do think Halle is certainly gorgeous,and there are an astounding amount of women in their 40's and 50's who are still incredibly beautiful, vibrant looking women who are also very accomplished.

Michelle Pheiffer is now I believe, 50, and if looks could win her the presidency, she could easily win. And she could fill her administration with a ton of 40-50's beautiful women - if looks are what would be voted on.

o

I have to admit, I quit reading after Chase's "2025 whites will be in the minority"

I have to know, are there those who are thinking, Ah ha! And then they'll show you whitey? I rather thought, the mixed/inter-racial marriages will continue to "dilute" the populations, with less distinctions that could make it so that extremes no longer exist. I sorta hoped it would make race less important.

Not shifted in importance.

o

Brazilian society, as a generalization, is much more chauvinistic than the Us-ian society, and yet they have elected a woman president and we have not.

And Canada, which from most perspectives is a nearly identical society to the US, has had a woman prime minister. Although she was appointed and did not succeed in a later election. Canadians would not elect a woman, and Americans probably would not either, but Brazilians will and did.

Why?

o

That would be my hope... that further mixing and diluting of our general population, on all fronts, would make bigotry drop and remove more discriminatory barriers... to this end, I had thought we were progressing, but in some ways it seems like we're regressing.

o

I'll try to answer you pn.

No one is qualified enough. I wouldn't even consider electing Hillary, but she's dang close. No one else even in the same league as she. Same reason there are no good republican candidates. Our society has devolved into Lord of the Flies.

o
-RE: I'm bigoted towards the KKK

Look at that, two that said the same thing. Regressing/devolving

o

I think no one knows exactly why another person thinks the way they do and to extrapolate motivations and reasons from one's opinion about a subject to the point of "pronouncing" them a bigot, racist, or thief, or a plethora of often used derogatory terms on this form is more than unfair and judgmental--it seems to be part of a compelling need to feel superior to those that think differently.

I have found there is no amount of coffee that will stop a true liberal from doing this.

The problems that I have with most of the conservative posters on here are the contradictions and inconsistencies that they post. Demi, take your first two sentences above. Do you not see the contradictions? This happens all the time. We form opinions about others on this forum by what they post. I find most to be very intelligent and insightful and enlightening...others, not so much (and I'm trying to be polite here).

So I don't know why others hold the opinions that they have, but once they post enough, I can see the logic or lack of logic that they have to form those opinions. After awhile, it's the lack of logic ones who fall back on other tactics that get my goat.

-Ron-

o

Ron--may I suggest you fail to take into consideration that some of us just don't play games anymore and gave up trying to have a civil discourse with 95% of the posters here.

Should there ever be an opportunity for civil and reasonable discourse without insults and name calling and castigation and denigration, you would no doubt see a true effort at presenting one's point of view.

At this juncture it's pretty much drive by posts, and that's because that's the only game in town.

o

Thanks for answering my question jodik!

Demi, there have been plenty of times I haven't necessarily agreed with what you said, and plenty I have, but you do write well, convincingly well. It's just in a funk here these days. Don't take it personally. You're ok in my book!

o

Thanks, Rob.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here