Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Federal Government Entitlements

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 9:55

Our Politicians during the Campaign this year has lead many to think that entitlements are for lazy people that do not want to work. That entitlements are a single entity, person, type of person, race of a person issue.

I know why they did it was to get a certain type of person to follow their ultimate goal to election. But I do not think people know what the entitlements if removed will directly impact your life and in fact they are talking about cutting or removing services you are receiving.

Just wondering if you realize you are that welfare recipient they are talking about?

If you are not the 1% you are the 99% welfare recipient of taking the 1% money they are talking about.

So when I say vote against your own best interest it is not as has been said by some at HT that it is your neighbor that you think is getting a 200.00 check a month that has a better car than you. It is you voting against your interest that is getting a much bigger Welfare check than that mother that is getting or food stamps for the feed children. It is YOU that is getting so much more than that chump change.

Cutting entitlements is why New Orleans looked like a 3rd world country during Katrinia with people sitting on their roof.

So vote against your own interest but know who/whom entitlements you are voting against.

This is a good place to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Government Benefits

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Federal Government Entitlements

I don't get it. Federal grants and loans? I'm not looking for those.

I do appreciate infrastructure, especially roads. I wouldn't want to have to go everywhere on dirt tracks. Other than infrastructure, I don't want much from government, particularly I don't want them intervening in other nation's business on my account or expecting me to pay for that nonsense.

So I don't much care what benefits get cut. Nor will I vote for any tools presented in national elections.

o

We have some that repeat over, and over that they want entitlements cut and I get the impression that they seem to think entitlements are these lazy people that lay around all day and collect a check.

When the bulk of entitlements are for the ones that need it less. Oil Companies, Farming industries. If you remember Romney visiting one of the farmers to show how he felt for the everyday farmer. It was a farmer that was a million dollar baby.

It is a myth that the Welfare babies that is being used by the Republicans. The real Welfare collectors are your oil companies, Corporate farmers.

o

The bulk of the entitlements are social security ($63 billion MONTHLY), medicare and medicare part D.

Ending oil and gas subsidies will save $78 billion annually.

Ending direct farm subsidies will save $10 biillion annually. Crop insurance provided by the feds is about another $1 billion per year. The bulk of the farm bill passed this summer is for food stamps, $80 billion per year.

One might actually do some research and then possibly consider reworking the argument about who the real welfare recipients are.

o

One might like to do the math of Social Security contribution funds vs oil and gas contributions.

Arithmatic

o

Go for it, marquest. One might want to work on their spelling while they are at it as well.

o

JM I could say that perhaps you meant that "one might want to work on his spelling while he is at it" as being more grammatical but that would be rude and beside the point. You have three agreement issues that out number one typo-but like I said....

o

One might like to do the math of Social Security contribution funds vs oil and gas contributions.

Ya...so oil companies are run on the solidarity principle aka mutual funds? Who knew...

o

Maybe the way to look at it is that the citizenry is going to be much more likely to go along with an older retirement age and higher payroll taxes to keep Social Security going, if they know that the extraordinarily profitable oil companies don't get unneeded and unwarranted subsidies. Or that they'll be willing to pay, say, a tiny tax on food (given the volume it would only be a few cents for every $10 spent) to fund food stamps. If they knew that massive corporate farm subsidies were eliminated.

And they'd be willing to pay a few cents more in gasoline tax to improve the roads, of better still, institute a 10 cent a gallon tax to fund the wars - which would end soon enough when we stop borrowing money from the Chinese to fight who knows what in Central Asia.

o

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 10:03

Maybe the way to look at it is that the citizenry is going to be much more likely to go along with an older retirement age and higher payroll taxes to keep Social Security going, if they know that the extraordinarily profitable oil companies don't get unneeded and unwarranted subsidies. Or that they'll be willing to pay, say, a tiny tax on food (given the volume it would only be a few cents for every $10 spent) to fund food stamps. If they knew that massive corporate farm subsidies were eliminated.

I think you have a good point, David.

I know that I agree with this, for the most part.

On principle, I do not agree at all with subsidies for private industry from the government.

But those subsidies also include helping people that can't afford fuel costs and to stabilize food prices. So unless one disagrees with that kind of help, they also support subsidies.

From Consumer Energy Report:

"The single largest expenditure is just over $1 billion for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which is designed to protect the U.S. from oil shortages. The second largest category is just under $1 billion in tax exemptions for farm fuel. The justification for that tax exemption is that fuel taxes pay for roads, and the farm equipment that benefits from the tax exemption is technically not supposed to be using the roads. The third largest category? $570 million for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program. (This program is classified as a petroleum subsidy because it artificially reduces the price of oil). Those three programs account for $2.5 billion a year in “oil subsidies.”

I don't think there is a politician that has the guts to do the right thing in this regard, however--much less enough of them to accomplish it.

o

There are a lot of other things going on with tax breaks and subsidies for the oil / gas industry, including foreign tax credits, tax credits for non-conventional fuels (all that fracking) exploration and development deductions, valuations of equipment and resources for property taxes, depletion allowance (can you see that tax treatment applied to a gold mine?) subsidized electricity for pipelines, etc.

o

Cutting entitlements is why New Orleans looked like a 3rd world country during Katrinia with people sitting on their roof.

I've got news for you.

You could have multiplied entitlements by 100 and there would still be people that received them sitting on their roofs waiting for someone to rescue them.

o

Demi your thoughts. Does this sound like entitlement to you?

This is what I ask that you consider when it appears to me in your mind that when you hear Entitlements the first thing you see is HoneyBoo Boo collecting money and having babies at 16.

Should every citizen in Louisiana show Personal Responsibility and have sufficient funds to cover floods since they know they live in a bathtub? or Move to another state or Should the government let them drown and balance the country's budget. We need every penny for that budget ya know.

The Southern part of the US get 1.50 return for every dollar they contribute to the country. Is that fair? I live in the North you get more of my tax dollars than I get.

Bobby Jindal letter to Obama

Louisiana has already spent $8 million, Jindal wrote. The declaration provides for direct federal assistance, for which the state will bear 25 percent of the cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bobby Jindal Entitlement

o

All those people that "don't show personal responsibility" that you are complaining about are the same people that you claim are victims and you want to help.

You can't have it both ways.

You want them?

I'll pay to send them to your state and you can just keep your money and use it for them up there and have them as your neighbors. Maybe then you'd understand some of the social problems others lament, including crime.

I pay higher taxes in Louisiana because we have so many residents who do not.

You're accusing me of taking your money again--you did that on another thread and told me to look at the entitlement thread when you stated I took entitlements.

I still don't see you backing up what you said, that I, personally, take entitlements.

Still waiting for your explanation.

o

I pay higher taxes in Louisiana because we have so many residents who do not.

And many states send money to Louisiana (by way of the Federal government) to help you out, demi.

Louisiana gets more than a dollar back for every dollar that comes from Louisiana for Federal taxes.

o

My money goes to other states, that help you, too, esh.

I can't help it if Louisiana's losers are subsidized with your tax dollars--as I say, you get more of what you subsidize.

o

Losers? People that need help are losers?

o

Well, I just looked, and the state income tax in Louisiana is lower than Colorado, and the state sales tax is within 0.5% of ours, and the median property tax is $243 dollars, where as Colorado is $1,437

And we're considered a low tax state.

o

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 18:08

Losers? People that need help are losers?

Pathetic try.

Some people that need help aren't losers at all.

Some people that need help are semi-losers.

Some people that need help are losers.

o

Are any of them TOTAL losers?

o

I doubt anyone is a total loser.

o

So let me get this straight...Romney wants to cut the corporate tax further.

Bush inherited an economy that was bringing in so much money, that in 2000 that economy was bringing in money to government coffers at the rate of 20% of GDP. Obama inherited an economy that was bringing in money to government coffers at the rate of 14.9% of GDP.

Bush inherited an economy when no major wars were in progress. Obama inherited an economy when two major wars were in progress.

Bush inherited a growing economy. Obama inherited a shrinking economy.

Republicans don't want to talk about Bush because that's so passe. Republicans want to talk about Obama because he caused all this mess.

I don't trust Republican logic.

In 2010 the federal government collected $2.2 trillion, an amount equal to 14.9 percent of GDP.

Federal revenue has ranged from 14.4 of GDP in 1950 to 20.6 percent in 2000 over the past five decades, averaging 17.9 percent.

The individual income tax has been the largest single source of federal revenue since 1950, averaging 8 percent of GDP.

Payroll taxes swelled following the creation of Medicare in 1965. Taxes for Medicare, combined with periodic increases in Social Security taxes, caused payroll tax revenue to grow from 1.6 percent of GDP in 1950 to 6 percent or more since 1980.

Payroll taxes also include railroad retirement, unemployment insurance, and federal workers� pension contributions.

Revenue from the corporate income tax fell from between 5 and 6 percent of GDP in the early 1950s to 1.3 percent of GDP in 2010.

Excise taxes fell steadily throughout the same period, from nearly 3 percent of GDP in 1950 to 0.5 percent in recent years.

The remaining sources of revenue have fluctuated less, together claiming between 0.5 and 1.0 percent of GDP since 1950 and standing near the bottom of that range in 2010.

-Ron-

o

A report from the CBO found that extending the tax cuts and spending policies would lead to federal debt increasing from 73% in 2012 to over 90% of U.S. gross domestic product by 2022, but the debt-to GDP ratio would decline to 61% in 2022 if the tax cuts expire and scheduled spending cuts take place.

CBO concludes that the explosive path of federal debt under the alternative fiscal scenario underscores the need for large and timely policy changes to put the federal government on a sustainable fiscal course. Policymakers will need to increase revenues substantially above historical levels as a percentage of GDP, decrease spending significantly from projected levels, or adopt some combination of those two approaches. In fact, the current laws that underlie CBO's baseline projections provide for significant changes of those kinds in coming years; many other approaches to constraining future deficits are possible as well.

So my question is, "Why would anyone want to continue the Bush-era tax cuts, full well knowing that this will increase our debt to unmanageable levels?"

-Ron-

o

....becasue they don't really see the debt as "their" problem. You see it was created by the "takers" not the "givers". That's why they see no personal responsibility to solve the problem.

Now taxes , that's personal.......

o

Pathetic try.

Sorry, you lost me. What is a pathetic try? Me asking a question of you? You are the one that called them losers. And I'm not allowed to ask about that?

Like I've said before, the more people post, the more the true person comes through.

o

In your case that is certainly true.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 14:15

Zing! Keow!

Get behind that rock!!

o

Loser:

One that fails consistently, especially a person with bad luck or poor skills.

A person with a record of failing; someone who loses consistently.

Someone or something that is marked by consistently or thoroughly bad quality, performance, etc.

A misfit, especially someone who has never or seldom been successful at a job, personal relationship, etc.

A person who one feels is below one's social stature.

A worthless person.

People who are losers as the result of an action or event, are in a worse situation because of it or do not benefit from it.

Loser means your going nowhere in life.

Someone who has never been successful and is never likely to be.

Someone who behaves well/badly when they have lost.

A person who is incompetent or unable to succeed.

Someone who has never or seldom been successful at a job, personal relationship, etc.

-Ron-

o

That's just to explain (away) and justify an inmate rate 7-fold the inmate rate of China, no less (follow the money!) and distract from the fact that the lion-share of these millions of dollars in Federal cash never makes it to the poor. Ever. Other people pocket it (follow the money!!).

o

Lol. I don't get this whole Katrina/entitlement cutting connection. Can someone please explain it to me? Cause/effectually.

o

In your case that is certainly true.

Why, yes, it is, thank you. Glad you noticed that I've never refered to anyone receiving entitlements as losers. Or to the First Lady's physique in a critical way. Or to an overweight person as someone who will cost me money. Or...the list goes on...

I have said I hated the NY Yankees. Oh, the horror. But, that got your feathers up. But, referring to people that need some help as losers -- well, that seems to be just A-OK with you.

And I have no patience for anyone not willing to deal in facts. Glad that comes through.

o

And I have no patience for anyone not willing to deal in facts.

Unlike you, I apparently have lots of patience with people that won't face facts.

Patience with people that won't face the facts that there are losers that refuse to take care of themselves and depend on other people to do it for them.

That is A FACT.

o

I never said there weren't people like that. Only that they are not the majority of people and they are not the reason the country has the problems it has. The reason the country has the problems it has is directly linked to Bush. But you don't want to talk about that because he's not running for President. That doesn't get him off the hook, and Obama 100% on the hook for the problems he created.

Those are the facts.

o

I never said they were the majority of people.

I never said Bush was without fault, or that everything was Obama's fault.

So what's your beef?

o

Let's see...you called people losers. I questioned that. You called my questioning a pathetic attempt. Attempt at what I have no idea.

Just imagine the firestorm that would have ensued had our roles in this been reversed.

o

"Let's see...you called people losers. I questioned that. You called my questioning a pathetic attempt. Attempt at what I have no idea.
Just imagine the firestorm that would have ensued had our roles in this been reversed."

You would have heard speech #2.

o

Oh, we all now what the deal is.

I did call SOME people losers.

They are.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 19:26

Don't come out from behind that rock yet.

o

Yes, frank, but I think she's still be typing! It certainly would have gone on and on and...

o

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 19:25

Oh, we all now what the deal is.

I did call SOME people losers.

They are.

o

Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 19:26

Don't come out from behind that rock yet.

o

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 8:15

Yes, frank, but I think she's still be typing! It certainly would have gone on and on and...

How charming.

You are prattling about me as though I am not here, but not making sense.

If not, then what in the world was that post about--what was the reference?

Never mind.

About all I associate with your posts are these types of remarks--when someone posts primarily to taunt or insult other posters and to apparently gain favor with posters that they think are cool so they will be included in the "gang."

In other words, not facts and not even an opinion about topics--behavior often displayed by junior high girls or bitter old women.

o

Don't trust Republican logic, Ron? I have to ask... where do you see any logic TO trust? ;-)

But seriously... it's not the same party it used to be, which is glaringly obvious, and hasn't been in quite some time. Logic was pushed out the window because it wouldn't fit in the same room along with greed, ego, and moral bankruptcy... in my opinion, and judging by what is said and done by the representation of said party.

There is, of course, corruption on both sides of the aisle, but when you look for logic, it simply doesn't exist on the far right side. Trickle down economics is a perfect example. There isn't a speck of logic to be found in that con game, but people still buy into it, along with all the other propaganda and horse pucky they try to sell.

The largest entitlements go to people and corporations and industries that don't need them to begin with. The tiny slice handed out to those who actually need it is always called into stereotypical question by those who view money and/or power as the end all to end all. You know how the game works.

o

How does the "game" work?
Exactly?

How do you know who "views money and power as the end all to end all?"

Those "tiny slices" are killing the goose that lays the golden egg--unfortunately those "tiny slices" keep voting to keep the slices coming.

Wonder whose going to be left to provide those entitlements?

Certainly not the almost half of the country that doesn't pull their weight.

o
correction

Who is, (who's), not whose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here