Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baseless Marriage

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 10:06

"U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe hasn't given up his resistance to the acceptance of gays and lesbians in the military or same-sex marriage. On Tuesday, Inhofe and fellow Republican Roger Wicker of Mississippi introduced a measure that would ban same-sex marriages on military bases and protect military chaplains from "pressure" to perform such ceremonies. The two senators described the Military Religious Freedom Act as an effort to enforce the Defense of Marriage Act, known as DOMA, on the Defense Department in the wake of the December 2010 repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, which ended the official ban on gay men and lesbians serving openly in the military. "President Obama and his administration are dismissing their responsibility to uphold the law of the land by unilaterally deeming DOMA unworthy of enforcement," Inhofe said.
Report on the military after DADT must have pissed these two baby wipes off!

It's already a given that if your a catholic Chaplain you don't have to perform a same sex service.
Yah just can't keep these turds from floating to the top of the bowl. & The Log Cabin Queers line of for this crew & say thank you sir may I have another!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baseless Marriage

I just can't wrap my brain around the type of thinking people like Inhofe are prone to. It makes no logical sense, whatsoever.

You just want to knock on their skulls and say, "Hello? McFly? Anyone home?"

o

On Tuesday, Inhofe and fellow Republican Roger Wicker of Mississippi introduced a measure that would ban same-sex marriages on military bases and protect military chaplains from "pressure" to perform such ceremonies. The two senators described the Military Religious Freedom Act as an effort to enforce the Defense of Marriage Act, known as DOMA

And when DOMA is found to be unconstitutional, what next?

o

"And when DOMA is found to be unconstitutional, what next?"

Then, they'd build a big fence and keep all the lgbt's separated from the rest of society. You know... because, ick... I say with angered sarcasm.

Like I said, I just can't wrap my head around the intolerance and bigotry.

o

Most liberals can't wrap their head around intolerance and bigotry yet they can't tolerate rich white people, women who don't believe in abortion, Christians, etc. I don't need to continue the lengthy list of ideals and people lib's don't tolerate or hate, you get the idea.

Each side has things they will not tolerate, don't agree on or agree to, but let's make this one point clear, the lib's do not hold any trophies for tolerance or non bigotry. I'm sick of hearing the lib's call conservatives "bigots" especially when conservative beliefs about gay marriage and gays in general comes from their religious beliefs.

I don't hear Muslims being called bigots. Why is that? Their hatred and intolerance for us must be excused, is that it? They killed Americans over a film. What does that make them? Misunderstood? Ignorant? Uneducated? No, that makes them a lot more than bigots, it makes them murderers and terrorists. That makes them our enemy.

I can't wrap my head around how Americans can hate their fellow Americans for their religious beliefs but can tolerate and make excuses for the actions against their country and fellow Americans by Muslim extremists. I'll never be able to wrap my head around that.

o

I'm sick of hearing the lib's call conservatives "bigots" especially when conservative beliefs about gay marriage and gays in general comes from their religious beliefs."

I'm curious: why do you think a bigoted belief is magically not bigoted when it stems from religious conviction?

o

"Most liberals can't wrap their head around intolerance and bigotry yet they can't tolerate rich white people, women who don't believe in abortion, Christians, etc." I am a liberal and believe in women being allowed to have an abortion, I also believe that women have the right not to believe in abortion. What I won't tolerate is men telling women that they can't have an abortion and having men making it a law.

I don't care what your religious beliefs are (as long as you don;t try to convert me!) either. I think what the Muslim extremists are doing is creating terrorism under the guise of religion beliefs and that I don't understand.

o

I don't think anyone's beliefs are "magical" and will not get into a lengthy discussion with you about people's religious beliefs. You obviously missed the point of the post and that's fine.

People with religious beliefs believe in a higher power, be it Muslim, Jewish, Christian. If you are going to call Christians bigots because of their beliefs regarding gays, then you need to call Muslims bigots also for their "bigoted" beliefs. Heck, Muslims not only have beliefs but they have murder and terrorism going for them. You want to talk about a war on women, take a look at the Muslims and what they put their women through. I don't hear no ranting or raving about those poor women being victimized, raped, mutilited and murdered, on a daily basis by their own men. Are you, who think Christians are bigots, willing to call Muslim terrorists what they are? I haven't heard one person every call a Muslim terrorist a bigot or anything else for that matter. I've only heard defense of their beliefs and murderous actions being the fault of conservative Americans.

o

Ignoring the troll!

o

The subject matter is not religious in nature... unless one somehow considers the lbgt community a cult... or something.

o

You know they are Jodi. They try to convert your children just like a religion. Watch out, it's contagious! But there is a cure......

o

But there is a cure......

Pray the gay away!

And then an alleged hetero Christian leader of this ministry is found taking a vacation with a male prostitute...

o

Heck, Muslims not only have beliefs but they have murder and terrorism going for them.

Muslims don't have exclusive rights on murder and terrorism. Christians have murdered and terrorized people of people over the last several thousand years. In the name of faith.

I don't hear no ranting or raving about those poor women being victimized, raped, mutilited and murdered, on a daily basis by their own men.

I guess you don't read much. There are efforts worldwide to help women in cultures that feel it is appropriate to oppress, rape, mutilate and kill them simply because they ARE women. Just because it is not discussed here doesn't mean there isn't plenty of ranting or raving.

I haven't heard one person ever call a Muslim terrorist a bigot or anything else for that matter.

Uh, calling them a TERRORIST is pretty much condemning them right there. So if someone calls anyone a terrorist (be they Muslim or otherwise), then it is a condemnation. It is not a compliment.

o

Christians have murdered and terrorized people of people over the last several thousand years. In the name of faith.

Oh darn, that should be: Christians have murdered and terrorized thousands of people over the last several thousand years. In the name of faith.

o

Hey look at that CEO of Alaskan airlines just endorsed Marriage Equality what's that have to do with this civil contract. Some folks like to have a religious person do one of those deals the ones who have no problem no problem. The o es who have a problem don't come.

o

People with religious beliefs believe in a higher power, be it Muslim, Jewish, Christian.

Yep. And if they think their higher power calls them to bigotry, I call them bigots. Whoever they are. Not too hard to understand that point, I should think.

o

My question is:

If these people TRULY believe that their God is capable of judging people or punishing them for being homosexual, why don't they let him do that, instead of taking on that task themselves?

Do they believe God needs help? That he wants their assistance? Or do they believe perhaps that their God isn't capable of doing it himself?

o

Christians and Muslims and Gays, oh my!

This is what I don't understand about religions, and why I walked away from it without looking back... the very CONCEPT of religion calls for acceptance and peace, love and harmony, compassion and a conscience, and a moral compass that works, for crying out loud! How can anyone justify the evil going on in the world today under the cloak of religion... any religion?

War over religion? Hatred from religion? Division of peoples from religion? Bigotry and inequality from religion? Etcetera, etcetera...

It makes no sense, whatsoever. Come judgment day, if one exists, I think a whole lot of people are gonna be mighty surprised...

o

The esoteric basis of religion is very different from the basic tribalism exhibited by fundamentalists. There is your answer, Jodik.

o

Bigots are people who are intolerant of others for whatever reason. They are not limited to any religion, political philosophy, sexual orientation or economic position.

Anyone here who talks in intolerant terms about entire groups of people is by definition a bigot.......anyone.

o

Here you go labrea...this just sums it up beautifully.
Wish everything was so simple.

o

Yeah I keep smelling the same old crap from the same old crew who keeps dishing it up in the same old way.

o

for the edification of the same old base!

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 20:09

"Bigots are people who are intolerant of others for whatever reason. They are not limited to any religion, political philosophy, sexual orientation or economic position.
Anyone here who talks in intolerant terms about entire groups of people is by definition a bigot.......anyone."

That's what the dictionary says. However, when I posted this very thing this spring (when I was a newbie to this forum), I was ridiculed for posting it. In fact, that was the first time I was chastised for posting a definition of a word here. I guess I made the pack uncomfortable--the context was the conservative-bashing that was going on. Maybe someone will react in a positive way now that it's fall. Or because you posted it, chase.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 20:09

Bigots are people who are intolerant of others for whatever reason

So rich.

o

"Bigots are people who are intolerant of others for whatever reason"

Let me clarify, my use of the word "others" is meant as it applies to entire groups of people as further described in my last sentence

"Anyone here who talks in intolerant terms about entire groups of people is by definition a bigot.......anyone."

Intolerance towards an individual is not necessarily bigotry. It is perfectly reasonable when one refuses to tolerate those behaviors which violate ones sense of right and wrong.

For example I will not tolerate things like criminal behavior, seriously misbehaving children, racism, bad language from my children, lying, cheating or the atrocious statements made by some posters here.

o

I guess this wasn't about 2 spoil sports who can't stand the idea of DADT being repealed.

o

I have the feeling there are more than just two spoil sports in our world today, Joe... more's the pity.

o

I'm baffled ... doesn't the free exercise clause already have this one covered?

o

Yes, Txan, you'd assume so, according to any standard of legal reason. But apparently Inhofe/Wicker desperately need something to feel persecuted about.

o

Gotta make it religion & back under the heel of heathen homos posters prove it!
Can any of the yahoos come up with a case of a preacher being forced or even requested to perform a marriage ceremony that their faith doesn't permit. I keep reading it in some extremists blogs but there never a case I can follow where a military chaplain was pressured to perform A GAY marriage.
It's just a marriage it's not a gay marriage wake up & smell the sanka!

o

I'm doubting there ARE any real cases of ministers or preachers being forced into performing any ceremonies, though there may be plenty of fabricated tales to keep that particular base in an uproar of outrage.

The funny thing is, historically... well, you all know history, ancient and otherwise. I shouldn't have to mention it yet again.

I'm not sure where the threat lies for people like Inhofe, exactly...

o

Can any of the yahoos come up with a case of a preacher being forced or even requested to perform a marriage ceremony that their faith doesn't permit.

Of course it doesn't happen! It's just another one of the ridiculous claims to try and fool people. You know, like Obama hates Christians because he's forcing Christians to use birth control. And people that cannot think for themselves actually believe it. And repeat it.

o

THEY HATE CHRISTIANS AOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHWWWWWW BOOOO HOOO HOOOOO if any of the above are examples YES I DO!

o

We have had same sex marriage here for several years and somehow or other have manged to do that without one single case of any religion being forced to marry anyone that did not want to marry. Matter of fact several Christian churches voluntarily preform same sex marriages and/or blessings.

Actually you would think that the right wing religious would love the idea of same sex marriage...eliminates the need for birth control and abortion.

o

I'm beginning to think the word "christian" should be stricken from our lexicon. It's divisive.

It's become a sound that is mere noise and no longer a word which might have had a particular or peculiar meaning.

o

I seldom see a conservative on this forum use the word "christian"; libs use it a lot, whether they are stating that they are themselves christian or otherwise. Libs use the word "christian" to belittle, often to tell conservative posters that they are bad christians.

I tend to agree with Duluth on this one.

It's gone the way of "bigot" and "racist"--lost its true meaning on this forum. (this sentence is not part of what Duluth said; this is my opinion.

o

I do believe Duluth means that the real message behind christianity has been lost in the shuffle... at least, that's what I take away from it.

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 19:36

"I do believe Duluth means that the real message behind christianity has been lost in the shuffle... at least, that's what I take away from it."

Well, that will be your reality then. What I take away from her statement is that "christian" does not have the same meaning to the two basic sides of (seemingly every) issue we discuss here these days. And this will not be reconciled. Hence, it is divisive. We sure don't need more of that; lately that is just about all we've got here. Some are getting really weary of it; some seem to relish it, and it's not bringing out the best in anyone.

o

There's almost always some little turd outside bar fights scrambling around the 2 combatants egging them on!

o

Can any of the yahoos come up with a case of a preacher being forced or even requested to perform a marriage ceremony that their faith doesn't permit.
Of course it doesn't happen!

yet. Once gay marriage goes through, the next step is for some slick punk in the ACLU to bring suit claiming discrimination, and that's the end of that. Sorry-- it won't get that far if I can help it and you can call me all the names you like-- it won't change a damn thing.

o

Why would anyone in their right mind WANT to be married by someone they have forced into doing so? That is not a rational thought. Who wants an unpleasant wedding day?

Same sex marriage does not affect anyone else, so why is there such a fight to keep two happy individuals from being together in a legally and equally binding manner as everyone else? It really does not make logical sense.

"Marriage" is just a word. It describes the legal and/or spiritual contract between consenting persons of legal age.

If you look up the dictionary description of marriage, you find that it is used to describe all kinds of contracts and various bindings between any number of people, any number of reasons, and for any length of time.

As far as I am aware, no religion or person or company holds the copyright or trademark on the word marriage, so I'm still not sure what all the fuss is about.

In just about every other respect, we seem to hold equality in high esteem as a society... but not when it comes to persons that are lgbt? That's not fair, and certainly not right.

I'm sorry... I can't picture anyone wanting to be married by a minister or preacher or priest who is protesting the ceremony. It's not plausible or sound reasoning.

o

Jodi, we've already had this argument. If it were just a word, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

o

Bill has the ACLU done anything today to force churches to preform ceremonies that they don't wish to preform or in anyway interfered with services conducted in their churches? I'm very sure that your constitutional position on the separation of Church and State would preclude such a thing from happening. Might some zealot try....maybe....would they prevail...not a chance in he!!

We have had same sex marriage here for several years and at no time has that civil law been extended to religious institutions.

o

Just that Bills word means something different that Most of the tax code words mean & he cant get that through his head.

o

I seldom see a conservative on this forum use the word "christian"

What until the end of November, beginning of December when the 'war on Christmas' carp is dragged out yet again for a 150-post rehash. The conservatives will make for any perceived lack - double even.

o

Just that Bills word means something different that Most of the tax code words mean & he cant get that through his head.

You betcha. I've told you before-- I have no problem with a civil union that would protect a same sex couple legally, and give them the same rights and responsibilities. I won't budge on that "just a word" though.

o

Bill your not dumb so stop we have been here before a civil union is not what those turds care about it not what IRS laws address & most civil code is concerning parental right possession & inheritance. Those laws have nothing to do with what you & your 2 wives did in a church & everything to to do with equality under the law as it's written. U can call it BOP for all I care tax codes don't give a crap a bout bop they are all written around marriage ( the secular term).

o

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 9:25

"There's almost always some little turd outside bar fights scrambling around the 2 combatants egging them on!"

I'll take your word for that, Labrea.

So then we have a lot of "little turds" around here. That wouldn't be so bad if it was just one "little turd" per "combat" situation. Ah, well.

Re the OP: We (my house) have no problem with same sex parnerships, including civil unions. As someone else pointed out either upthread or on another, conservatives should be glad about family health insurance plans, as there likely won't be children (not always true; my cousin Tracy and her partner, Stacey, have an adopted son). Been saying that for years. As a practical matter, that's a plus. I've said before on this forum, we object to same sex civil unions being called "marriages". Find another word.

o

Why do you object to civil unions being called marriage? Do you object to someone's fifth legal union being called a marriage? Do you object to a 24-hour wedding being called a marriage? Do you object to the union being performed in a church being called a marriage, even if it's people of the same sex? What's your drawing line and why do you get to define it?

o

we object to same sex civil unions being called "marriages". Find another word.

No. Get over your paranoia about the word. Why do you get to decide what it means? And why do you get to deny its use by people that you don't agree with?

o

Why fight over a word? Better to fight against denying people their basic civil, human, and every other kinds of rights one can come up with.

Like the voice over in one of the oft running ads here states, "Love is love and it belongs to everybody." I'll be voting to strike down the marriage amendment on our ballot this November.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here