Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gun Sales Hinge on Obama Re-Election

Posted by markjames (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 10:41

Gun Sales Hinge on Obama Re-Election

As Cabela's Inc. prepares the selection of guns it will sell for the holiday season and winter hunting, the outdoor-gear retailer has two plans: one if President Barack Obama is re-elected, and one if he isn't.

The Sidney, Neb.-based retailer and other companies in the guns-and-ammo business say if Mr. Obama wins a second term they are preparing for a surge in sales�"the same as they saw after he was elected in 2008�"from buyers fearful the president would back policies to make buying a gun more difficult. If Republican challenger Mitt Romney wins, though, the chain plans to stock more items such as waterproof boots and camouflage hunting gear.
[image]

"If Mitt Romney is elected and there's no perceived threat on the freedom to own guns, people might decide to spend disposable income on things like outerwear instead," said Joe Arterburn, a Cabela's spokesman.

Even though there haven't been any substantial changes to gun-control laws under Mr. Obama, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. and Olin Corp., the maker of Winchester bullets, are anticipating another bump in sales this winter if President Obama is re-elected.

Smith & Wesson raised its full-year sales forecast last week to $530 million to $540 million, up from its previous estimates of $485 million and $505 million, citing strong consumer demand that led to a 30% jump in the number of firearms sold in the first quarter of 2013 compared with the year before.

Cabela's gets about a fifth of its revenue from firearms and ammo. Above, a collectible revolver at a Cabela's store in Dundee, Mich.

Closely-held Bass Pro Shops said it also expects gun sales to ramp up heading into the 2012 election, but declined to disclose sales figures.

Cabela's saw a 25% increase in new gun buyers right after the 2008 election, and continues to see strong sales, aided by an uptick in female and younger customers, according to Mr. Arterburn.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the largest U.S. seller of firearms and ammunition, declined to comment on its gun sales.

Retailers' preparations reflect business, not political, concerns, experts say. "Besides making up a large chunk of revenue, guns are a real traffic driver for these stores," said Wells Fargo analyst Matt Nemer. "Businesses are trying to plan, order inventory and staff stores, and you have this event coming down that could significantly impact sales."

The stores are responding to shoppers like David Humke, a 43-year-old manager at a bolt and screw company in Louisiana, who recently stopped at a Cabela's store in Allen, Texas, to browse its selection of collectible guns.

Mr. Humke, an avid deer hunter, worries guns might become less available in the future. "People feel it's coming so they're stockpiling," he said.

Adam Fetcher, a spokesman for the Obama campaign, defended the president's policies. "President Obama's record makes clear that he supports and respects the Second Amendment and the tradition of gun ownership in this country, and we'll continue to fight back against any attempts to mislead voters," he said.

The Romney campaign declined to comment.

Consumers are responding in part to advertisements from advocacy groups such as the National Rifle Association, which warn voters that they could face increased gun regulations if President Obama is re-elected.

In a second term, President Obama wouldn't have to be worry about being re-elected so "there's no political downfall if Obama enacts more stringent gun-control measures," said NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam.

Nearly 12 million background checks for gun sales took place in the U.S. this year through Aug. 31, up 56% from the same period in 2008, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Customers must undergo background checks before buying firearms from federally licensed sellers.

Collections of federal excise taxes on the sale of new firearms and ammunition, a proxy for gun sales, rose to $453 million in 2009, a 45% jump from the year before. That's a significant surge compared with the average 6% annual increase reported by the Treasury Department's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau from 1993 to 2008. Excise tax collections have moderated somewhat, to $344 million in 2011, but remain above pre-2008 levels.

As demand has risen, supply hasn't kept up. Manufacturers are experiencing backlogs, even as they raise prices and report record profits.

Citing the political impact of the election, Olin said its June backlog doubled compared with the year before. The company has said it plans to raise ammunition prices by 2% to 6%.

Many suppliers of guns and ammo have been concerned that increased demand may not last and so have been hesitant to invest in additional manufacturing capacity, leaving retailers worried about adequate supplies.

Cabela's, which generates about a fifth of its $2.8 billion in revenue from firearms and ammunition, is offering to pay suppliers more quickly, 15 days in some cases, in hopes of becoming a favored destination for the limited inventory. It can take some retailers up to 120 days to pay gun and ammo manufacturers.

"This way, vendors know exactly what we're expecting from them and we know they're going to deliver reliably," said Fred Neal, senior director of merchandising for firearms. It's amazing how many more women you see in the gun shops and at the range these days.

I'll echo the comment about female gun owners. Our gun shops and ranges have substantially more women than only several years ago.

It seems to be a national trend.

The latest Gallup Poll on guns says that 47 percent of Americans now have guns, more than any time since 1993, and women are buying in increasing numbers. Twenty-three percent of women report that they are gun owners, that is up from 13 percent in 2005.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gun Sales Hinge on Obama Re-Election

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gun Sales Hinge on Obama Re-Election

This is one industry that I don't want to see flourish.

Guns kill-people, and animals....and WHO in their right mind would want to be a KILLER?

IF nobody owns guns, nobody will be SHOT!

As to women owning guns, only a handful know how to really use the guns....except for the military.

o

I gotta wonder - following the 2008 election, the gun guys were so terrified that Obama was gonna take away their guns and ammo that within days, you couldn't buy ammunition - any ammunition - at all. Catalogs / internet the same. That kept up for - what, two years? The price doubled if not tripled, and there were all kinds of rumors about secret taxes and what not. People were buying ammo by the case.

I drive by the shooting range frequently, and for months and months, there was nobody shooting.

I'd say its only been a year now that when I walk through the gun section at Walmart, they have a decent selection.

Anyway, I can't imagine that these guys have shot up the horde of ammo they socked away during 2009, but never discount the power of rumor.

o

As to women owning guns, only a handful know how to really use the guns....except for the military.

The many female gun owners in our family are mostly handgun owners (most own more than one) that shoot on their properties and at the ranges.

Only a few have ever hunted, or only occasionally, but most fish.

o

Yes this happened before no surprise when we see people saying things that Obama wants to bring White Corporate America to their knees.

Racism is a live. Ignorance has not been eradicated from our society. The only saving grace is it is not the majority it is just a few annoying bugs flying around the pudding. There are enough fly swatters to keep them away.

o

So some are making handsome profits from paranoia.

Fear of the other - the gift that keeps giving.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 11:31

What happens to all these guns when nothing happens - no black (or blue) helicopters, no one comes to take their weapons?

Too weird. Do all these multiple gun owners live on compounds, patrolled day and night by fellow cult members, ready to fire at the first sign of trouble?

Most people can only fire one gun at a time (and not well) and they are more likely to kill a family member than an intruder or invader. Why would someone need 25 guns, like the Texan interviewed earlier this week on NPR?

o

What happens to all these guns when nothing happens - no black (or blue) helicopters, no one comes to take their weapons?

They get put into unlocked bedside drawers, whence toddlers get them and accidentally blow their brains out, of course.

o

There is no end to the paranoia, racism, insane fears that abound because we have this elected president.

Since the worst fears didn't happen 4 years ago, they will have to come up with some kind of explanation for it and then create an abundance of increased paranoid fears to keep the "faithful" beside them with their delusional, paranoid fears.

These people may be in the minority, but with all the fire power and ammunition that they have amassed, they can be an extremely violent and dangerous minority.

The irony being that they need and require careful monitoring by the government, the exact thing they are paranoid and afraid of and the exact thing that they claim is happening to them.

They are just too delusional to realize that the monitoring of them by the government is of their own doing, their own making.

There is no end to the delusional thought process, the paranoia and racist hatred for this President.

o

Somewhere, ov-er the rainbow....

and they call ME a mysogynist. I know quite a few women up here who carry, and they're every one of them, MORE than competent.

They get put into unlocked bedside drawers, whence toddlers get them and accidentally blow their brains out, of course.

No toddler ever blew their brains out with mine, or those of anyone else I know personally. You hear about the morons who don't use common sense. That's NOT the majority of gun owners. But you don't care about that. Only in making MORE gun laws to protect criminals.

There is no end to the delusional thought process, the paranoia and racist hatred for this President.

That's right. It's racist paranoia that people remember how he RAILED against firearms during his first campaign, until he realized he was alienating quite a large chunk of his own constituency. He's not going to have anything to stop him after November. Just look at the company he keeps-- two of the biggest "anti-gunners" in the country, both hand picked by him-- Holder and Emmanuel. Don't tell me it's paranoia. As for racist, here we go again-- if we don't trust him, we're a racist. Far as I'm concerned, just the fact that you equate anything negative aimed at Obama as being racist, actually shows your OWN racism.

o

The Sidney, Neb.-based retailer and other companies in the guns-and-ammo business say if Mr. Obama wins a second term they are preparing for a surge in sales -- "the same as they saw after he was elected in 2008 -- "from buyers fearful the president would back policies to make buying a gun more difficult.

Even though there haven't been any substantial changes to gun-control laws under Mr. Obama...

What is that they say about insanity -- performing the same act and expecting different results...

Crazy is crazy.

o

Bill you cannot deny that racism exist. Just read a couple of the post and if you agree with the statements and think they are not racist you should do a little research of the usual dog whistle code words being used.

We have had many Presidents that have been very much against guns we have not had this rush to buy guns at this number in the past. What do you attribute this to? Hide and deny all you like if it makes you feel better.

This is just a sexist statement.

o

Bill, are you going to rush out and buy a pallet of pistol ammo?

Put it in the back bedroom, and watch it crash through the floor into the basement? :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: ammo by the pallet

o

This gun buying activity might be at its peak and unsustainable at these unusual levels. Looking at it from a business standpoint, Smith & Wesson's CEO says there is a "much stronger installed user base." Simply, more gun owners out there adding to their collections - not necessarily new people prepping for some kind of doomsday.

o

"It's racist paranoia that people remember how he RAILED against firearms during his first campaign"

Bill, I have very little doubt that the President is against guns, but I do not remember anything resembling the above statement. I am pretty sure that most Dems were avoiding gun control topics by that time. I remember something along the lines of you saying that he would come after guns, and me saying that he had made no mention of that. You then said that you would admit that you were wrong if it never happened.

I wish that there was a decent search tool on this board because i remember that conversation on this board vividly.

o

Mr. Humke, an avid deer hunter, worries guns might become less available in the future. "People feel it's coming so they're stockpiling," he said.

Sheesh. Does this reek of paranoia or what? There's this faultline somewhere and I just can't seem to see through it.

-Ron-

o

Frank, I remember the conversation as well.

Unfortunately, unless one saved the thread it isn't easy to find, if at all. The forum saves only so many pages, 67 to be exact, and the rest fall, never to be seen again.

As for Obama being against guns, he's against the need for the public to have automatic weapons, semi automatic weapons, assault weapons, large magazine clips etc. The kind of weapons and ammunition that really is not needed by the public, but is pushed as needed by the NRA just because they are various types of guns.

He supports sane controls over who can and can not purchase various types of guns, rifles etc and ammunition to go with them.

IMHO, a sane person would not be afraid of or paranoid about restrictions on the sales, the purchase of guns and ammunition to go with them, but would rather be supportive of restrictions that would provide safety for all people, and help to keep the weapons out of the hands of those that should not have them.

There is no need for people to have the types of guns that are mentioned above unless one is looking to start or be involved in some kind of military action or are the police or military.

There is this paranoia that prevails that guns will be less available. They should be, should be less available for anyone and everyone to buy. There should be careful restrictions that make sense and the types of guns and ammunition should also have careful restrictions.

There is no need for this obsession that we have to have any and all guns and ammunition available to just about anyone that wants them, that it is our right to bare arms bit.
Somewhere along the line here, sanity and common sense needs to prevail, not paranoia and fear, especially because this president is in office or may be re-elected.

o

Bill you cannot deny that racism exist. Just read a couple of the post and if you agree with the statements and think they are not racist you should do a little research of the usual dog whistle code words being used.

You're right. I can't. But this bothered me because I'm also concerned. Not to the point where I'm taking out a second mortgage on my house to stock the basement with ammo, but enough that I'm watching what goes on, and if you knew me in person, You'd know how far fetched that it would be to call me racist.

David-- no, that's the NOAA that does that. I've got a box of ammo (50 rounds) for my carry piece, and another (20 rounds) for my hunting rifle. I'm good with that.

Simply, more gun owners out there adding to their collections - not necessarily new people prepping for some kind of doomsday.Actually, alot of the increased buying over the last few years is due to people taking personal protection into their own hands.

o

I began to realize awhile back that the forum doens't save many pages at all. So, if someone says something I think is noteworthy or there is a thread I think is interesting, I save it. This is only a recent trend of mine.

Of course, just because something has not been saved for referece doesn't mean that something did not get said.

o

by bill_vincent Central Maine (billvincent@hotmail.com) on Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 12:12

Somewhere, ov-er the rainbow....

and they call ME a mysogynist. I know quite a few women up here who carry, and they're every one of them, MORE than competent.

No toddler ever blew their brains out with mine, or those of anyone else I know personally. You hear about the morons who don't use common sense. That's NOT the majority of gun owners. But you don't care about that. Only in making MORE gun laws to protect criminals.

That's right. It's racist paranoia that people remember how he RAILED against firearms during his first campaign, until he realized he was alienating quite a large chunk of his own constituency. He's not going to have anything to stop him after November. Just look at the company he keeps-- two of the biggest "anti-gunners" in the country, both hand picked by him-- Holder and Emmanuel. Don't tell me it's paranoia. As for racist, here we go again-- if we don't trust him, we're a racist. Far as I'm concerned, just the fact that you equate anything negative aimed at Obama as being racist, actually shows your OWN racism.

Oh Bill. don't give me this cr@p!
By the time you are "getting ready" to protect yourself, one is already holding a GUN to YOUR head.
The "protecting yourself" argument is LAME....IF nobody owns a gun, you won't need one, will you?

Killing "bambi" is not ok.

o

Notto-- sorry to burst your bubble, but I've HAD to draw my weapon before, and trust me-- it was in time. But you go ahead and keep spoutin your baseless bullsh*t.

o

As for Bambi-- I LOVE a good venison roast.

o

Yogi's not bad eating, either.

o

RE: Gun Sales Hinge on Obama Re-Election clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by bill_vincent Central Maine (billvincent@hotmail.com) on Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 13:43

Notto-- sorry to burst your bubble, but I've HAD to draw my weapon before, and trust me-- it was in time. But you go ahead and keep spoutin your baseless bullsh*t.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
RE: Gun Sales Hinge on Obama Re-Election clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by bill_vincent Central Maine (billvincent@hotmail.com) on Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 13:44

As for Bambi-- I LOVE a good venison roast.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Posted by bill_vincent Central Maine (billvincent@hotmail.com) on Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 13:45

Yogi's not bad eating, either.

What type of company are you keeping, anway?
I don't know anybody who owns a gun....then again, I hang out with educated people, the type who go to country clubs. Oh, they don't like to watch anyone dying.

I'll bet chewin tobacco and spittin is yummy, too -(
Gotta luv that type of a man....NOT.

o

never chewed tobacco, and I stopped smoking about 6 years ago. Now, let me ask you, an obviously learned person, what happens when you enact a law that says everyone has to turn in their guns? You can bet MS 13's going to line up to turn them in. So's Hells Angels. And all the others. I've said this many times-- I'd be just as happy if every gun were to disappear off the face of the earth. But until someone comes up with a way to get them away from the bad guys, I'll keep mine, thanks.

As for the country club thing, you'd be surprised just how many of them DO own AND CARRY. (My family used to be members at Woodlawn CC in Woodbridge, Ct.) Not of a one of em chew tobaccy, niether!!

o

"As to women owning guns, only a handful know how to really use the guns....except for the military."

Are you kidding me? Seriously... are you joking? You must be.

There are women all across the United States that either use, carry, own, or practice with handguns, and a lot more that use shotguns and rifles for hunting, not to mention for competition shooting! And that's not including those who shoot black powder in competition, shoot for fun, carry because of a job (as in law enforcement, private investigators, bodyguards, mercenaries, etc.), carry illegal weapons (as in gang members and inner city dwellers), etc.

Not only CAN I shoot... and very accurately, I might add... I WILL shoot! And I'll think nothing of it after the fact. Try me. Break into my home and mess with my family.

How do you think venison winds up on my table? Do you think my husband is the only person in the household that's capable of hunting?

The kind of logic that says women do not know how, or can't handle guns is the exact kind of logic that will get you shot in many situations. Never assume just because a person is a female that they won't pull a weapon and blow your brains all over the wallpaper without a second thought!

It's very backwards to think or assume that women are any less capable or able than men when it comes to handling weapons. There's no mystery about firearms. You load it, you aim it, and you pull the trigger. It's really quite simple. If you want to get fancy, you can even break it down and clean and re-oil it. Some women even carry extra clips or speedloaders.

Honestly... I thought I'd heard everything...

As to the OP... I don't know why there's anything to panic about when it comes to firearms. So far, the only thing I've heard is that Obama has no plans to change any gun laws. That's all I know. Apparently, he doesn't see a need to change laws, only to enforce what we already have on the books. Sounds fair to me.

Long ago, the NRA was a decent, normal organization that sponsored gun safety, shooting competitions for children, etc. Today, they're a bunch of card-carrying lunatics, leaning so far right they can barely stand up. If Ted Nugent is any indication of what they've become, I'd never belong in a million years!

o

Sorry, but I'm against owning guns. I do not enjoy watching anything bleed and die. Not I, no siree.

I won't even go into the fact that kids and grow-ups accidently or otherwise kill eachother.

Killing is WRONG, whether it starts with a kitten, then other animals, then a person.

Honestly, I thought I'd heard everything....killers among us.

o

So far, the only thing I've heard is that Obama has no plans to change any gun laws.

Here is a link that might be useful: Back from the last election

o

Killing is WRONG, whether it starts with a kitten, then other animals, then a person.

Someone is trying to kill you or a loved one. You're going to let them? Forget about the police-- they're atleast 5 minutes away, and some piece of human trash is right there in front of you. You're going to let him do what he wants?

As for killing animals, I don't care for wasting life. But if you use the animal, I don't see the difference between that and getting your meat from the store. It's strange-- if I'm driving down the road and I hit an animal, I can't shake the bad feeling from it for a few days. And yet, I have no problem with dropping a deer and getting it butchered.

o

here's a good one for you--

There�s a new trend in anti-gun land: marginalize gun owners. Pretend they�re not important. The trend started with data unleashed by Gallup and the General Social Survey that supposedly revealed declining American gun ownership. This despite a steady, relentless increase in the number of FBI background checks needed to purchase a gun or (in most states) obtain a concealed carry license over the last five years.

Here is a link that might be useful: If we say it's so, then it's so-- taking a page from Fox News

o

I quit hunting some years ago, but buy venison every year.
When I worked at the prison, every year the female officers qualified with the same guns as I did. I taught my ex-wife to shoot as well as our two daughters and son. The kids chose not to keep guns (but they have the skill) and my ex is very happy with the snub-nose .38 special I bought her for home defense.
I personally have a 16 gauge shotgun and a .22 caliber rifle at home, suitable for hunting or home defense. Both were given to me by my father when I was in my teens. They have sentimental value and are tools if needed. When my grandchildren get old enough (emotional maturity) I will teach them to shoot if they are interested. It is a skill and there are shooting ranges.
One of my younger sisters and her husband told me they would vote Republican because they were afraid of gun control under an Obama administration. All I could say is that I have the same unregistered guns that I've always had and it hasn't happened yet and I don't think it will.

o

One of my younger sisters and her husband told me they would vote Republican because they were afraid of gun control under an Obama administration. All I could say is that I have the same unregistered guns that I've always had and it hasn't happened yet and I don't think it will.

It is not hard to understand that removing everyone's gun is impossible in America. But you know what they say there is a sucker born every minute and you can sell them swamp land with the right words.

o

I have the same unregistered and registered guns I've always had, and keep 1 box of rifle ammo and 5 or 6 boxes of shot gun shells with different loads. And I'm not worried either.

The concept of exactly who is going to go door to door, room to room in America and confiscate all the guns is something I find kinda open to question. In my county alone, they'd need a fleet of semi's to haul it all off.

And given the ocean of unregistered and stolen guns, there will still be plenty around, Obama or not.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 18:01

Irrational Panic - Gun industry's best friend

Mitt Romney / Paul Ryan 2012
We'll Protect You, No Need for Guns!

o

The concept of exactly who is going to go door to door, room to room in America and confiscate all the guns is something I find kinda open to question. In my county alone, they'd need a fleet of semi's to haul it all off.

Perhaps those that believe gun confiscation is likely are the same ones that think locating and deporting all undocumented immigrants is a workable remedy.

o

But think of the jobs, jobs, jobs... all that bedroom and doctor's offices monitoring, illegal aliens tracked down, guns confiscated, food stamp fraudsters unveiled, dead people voting discovered - all Democratic!, grazing only in the outer perimeter of the supermarket, throwing a glass bottle in the trash rather than in recycling.

All that growing into itself to form one huge invasive government would make the unemployment stats flatline. But we'd be a much lesser people.

o

Irrational Panic - Gun industry's best friend

Yep.

Perhaps those that believe gun confiscation is likely

not likely-- possible.

o

Bill writes:

That's right. It's racist paranoia that people remember how he RAILED against firearms during his first campaign, until he realized he was alienating quite a large chunk of his own constituency. He's not going to have anything to stop him after November. Just look at the company he keeps-- two of the biggest "anti-gunners" in the country, both hand picked by him-- Holder and Emmanuel. Don't tell me it's paranoia. As for racist, here we go again-- if we don't trust him, we're a racist. Far as I'm concerned, just the fact that you equate anything negative aimed at Obama as being racist, actually shows your OWN racism

=========================================================
Thanks Bill, you saved me some typing. Since I'm tired of even thinking about typing responses to the dem's who are hell bent on Socialism in this country and will not listen to reason, I'll just be copying other people's posts I agree with. Hope you don't mind. I'm just tired, sick and tired.

o

"Far as I'm concerned, just the fact that you equate anything negative aimed at Obama as being racist, actually shows your OWN racism"

This has been said before by conservatives on this forum, and I'm glad Bill said it on this thread.

o

"Far as I'm concerned, just the fact that you equate anything negative aimed at Obama as being racist, actually shows your OWN racism"

I've never been able to make any sense out of this sentence that defensive conservatives love to repeat.

Like, how does it indicate racism on my part if I object to your racist comments putting down the part-black president? You would have to show that my objection to your racist comment meant that I was putting down the half-black president, but if I'm objecting to language putting down the president, how can that possibly mean I am putting down the president?

See--no matter how you look at it, that favored sentence sounds good and means nonsense!

Kate

o

Obama never "railed against guns."
Is that all you got Bill, because if so, you are completely full of Mhit.

And how has YOUR right to own or use weapons been curtailed whatsoever in the past 10-20 years?

OK, you love guns, hate Obama and no one can prove whether or not you are a racist.
Can we at least agree on that?

o

Obama was so right when he said in private here in PA that people in this state are bitter and cling to their guns.

o

I've purchased large quantities of guns, accessories and ammunition due to shortages and inflation.

I've bought many guns, especially second hand guns as investments and/or taken many guns and accessories as trade for goods and services.

Unlike many things, high quality, well cared for guns hold much of their value, appreciate in value, plus guns used for hunting can put much meat in the freezer.

With such a poor economy, more and more people are hunting for food as well as enjoyment.

With such a high unemployment rate, people can spend much more time hunting.

o

Heri, horse sh*t. Read the link.

OK, you love guns, hate Obama and no one can prove whether or not you are a racist.
Can we at least agree on that?

No we can't. I don't "hate" Obama. He scares the crap out of me. And as for being racist, I'M not the one who keeps bringing racism up where none exists. That's on you, mister. If someone disagrees with your messiah, they're a racist. YOU'RE the one who sees everything in terms of race. not me.

Like, how does it indicate racism on my part if I object to your racist comments putting down the part-black president? You would have to show that my objection to your racist comment meant that I was putting down the half-black president, but if I'm objecting to language putting down the president, how can that possibly mean I am putting down the president?

That just proves my point. I object to something Obama says, that immediately makes me a racist. You don't HAVE to put someone down to be a racist. ALL you have to do is see everything in terms of race. You differentiate with Obama, and point your finger at us SPECIFICALLY because of race, as opposed to disagreement of concept. You, Kate, and you, Heri, are racist.

o

Another discussion we've had before, but...

Often, the police are more than 20 minutes away from any help they might offer, depending where a person lives.

If I dialed 911, I'd be on my own for at least 15-20 minutes, unless I got lucky enough that there just happened to be a county car cruising the area. And in the 6-7 years I've lived here, I've seen probably 3 county Sheriff cars cruise by... to say there were more would be stretching it.

So, within that 15-20 minutes, which is a long time when you need help, what do you think I should do? Allow my family to be harmed, murdered? Allow myself to be incapacitated? What, exactly?

Hell, no! I'm armed and ready! If you can get past the dogs, you still need to deal with the armed adults, here. Of course, good luck getting past the dogs. With them as the first line of defense, I should be able to get a leisurely cup of coffee, put my shoes and jacket on, and then come see what all the noise was about, assess the damage, and see what kind of mess I have to clean up. Yes, I'm very confident in my dogs' ability to stop intruders.

On the off chance you do get past the dogs, and that's a long shot, you still have to get past some mighty protective adults armed with an assortment of weaponry. Good luck with that.

So, I'm not waiting around for the police to get here, on the off chance they might happen to be in the area, so they can protect me. I'm more than capable of protecting my own family. I'm female. I've been handling weapons since I was quite young. They don't scare me. They have a plethora of good uses, and I'm ready to put them to use in whatever capacity I need to.

I feel sorry for those who would leave the safety of their loved ones, their own safety, or their hunger, in the hands of someone else, or to chance. I can't think like that. I won't be dependent on someone else to preserve the safety of my family, or our ability to survive.

When you live in a rural area, you're pretty much on your own. I've lived out in the boonies for a major part of my life. Having dogs and weapons ensures not only our safety, but it also ensures that we won't go hungry. We can hunt for meat to place on the table.

And I'll agree with markjames this one time... a well made and cared for weapon usually does hold its value. So, there's that aspect, too.

I don't cling to the idea that a god exists, but I do know the value of a decent weapon. And with crime on the rise, extreme ideals coming into play more and more often, and the compromised food source we're offered, I think I'll hang on to my weaponry just a little longer, if you don't mind.

Don't try to break into my home or harm my family, and there won't be any gun related issues you need to worry about. Killing just to kill doesn't sound like very much fun, and it certainly wouldn't serve any purpose. But I don't have any qualms about pulling a trigger if the need exists.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 10:21

If I were to stock up on guns and ammo it wouldn't be due to Obama, it would be due to the kooks who stock up.

o

If I were to stock up on guns and ammo it wouldn't be due to Obama, it would be due to the kooks who stock up.

For a lot of people, it's due to the supposed "victims" of society that make the personal decision to break into your home, walk in and steal from you, and possibly harm or kill you and/or your loved ones.

It's getting worse here, with more generations of people that never had to work and probably couldn't keep a job if one was available, breaking into homes--a lot of them lately elderly women, robbing them, killing them, sometimes raping them.

Wonder how many people they're going to have to steal from innocent, hardworking people to pay for their health insurance?

Oh, don't worry--Obama's treasury department has already said it's not going to go after people that don't comply with the law.

Concealed weapons classes in this region have waiting lists--and it's not only because people think Obama will "have more flexibility" after his next election and curtail Second Amendment rights--it's because with inflation, rising prices, and no money and no jobs, more and more people are at risk of being robbed and killed.

Those that know way of life other than suckling on the government don't understand not getting what they're accustomed to getting.

o

The most dangerous people are generally poor, desperate, unemployable, mentally unstable, drug addicted etc, not people financial secure enough to buy quantities of guns and ammunition.

o

'I'd say its only been a year now that when I walk through the gun section at Walmart, they have a decent selection.'

If one sentence could illustrate the difference between the UK and US......

Over here, we are happy to buy washing up liquid and custard powder from our local supermarket (Asda, the UK version of Wmart).

o

Bill:

You have not posted a shred of evidence that Obama has 'railed against guns" ,or that anything he has done has impacted your right to purchase, carry or use weapons.
You are making yourself more irrelevant when you rant and call people like Kate and I racist.
We never brought race into this. The OP cited an article that is ridiculous and you hopped on by posting a few more that are just as ridiculous.

You can pint to hundreds of elected officials that have sponsored, co-sponsored or made statements concerning some gun control measure. Does that mean they are "railing against guns" or have an agenda to disarm you?
You have taken to the extremes my friend, and all I can say is that I hope you won't go off the deep end before the election is over with.

Instead of railing against Obama, you should be laughing your azz off ar Romney for pandering to gun owners with crap like :

Mhit:
I'm not a big-game hunter. I've made that very clear. I've always been a rodent and rabbit hunter.
Small varmints, if you will. I began when I was 15 or so and I have hunted those kinds of varmints since then. More than two times."

Obama is our President, we don't need an arrogant, insulting, pandering plutocrat.
Never forget Bill, President Obama has been a stellar Commander-in-Chief and has handled our military, before and after they serve, with every ounce of respect one can imagine. He has walked softly but carried a big stick.
Romney, on the other token, rattles a toy sabre as he walks about gingerly, almost as though there is a broomstick stuck up his arse.

o

breaking into homes--a lot of them lately elderly women, robbing them, killing them, sometimes raping them..

That'll come to a screeching halt soon, too, if this keeps up:

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defense/female-homeowner-in-mo-shoots-and-kills-1-of-2-armed-home-invaders/

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/news-northern-kentucky/Boone-County-homeowner-shoots-kills-intruder/-/13608792/16463942/-/b33lt6z/-/index.html

http://host-46.242.54.159.gannett.com/news/article/231625/19/Elderly-man-shoots-kills-intruder-in-Daytona-Beach

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/police-woman-shot-intruder-9-times-in-self-defense/nFB7g/

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defense/87-year-old-nc-woman-uses-9mm-handgun-to-scare-off-2-home-invaders/

o

You have not posted a shred of evidence that Obama has 'railed against guns" ,or that anything he has done has impacted your right to purchase, carry or use weapons.

Yeah, I did. Just beause you don't want to see it doesn't make it so. Early 2007, he had nothing to say about guns EXCEPT that they should be erradicated. By LATE 07, he changed his tune. Instead of saying it himself, he hired people on to say it FOR him. Plausable deniability, they call it. Three of his cabinet members (at the time) have railed against guns (Holder, Emmanuel, and Clinton), one of them seince leaving his federal post, and doing what he could as mayor to tighten up gun restrictiins in a city that ALREADY had tight gun control (which obviously isn't doing any good), and another of which was under investigation for running an op designed to make guns look bad, that went sideways, and ended up getting a federal agent killed, as well as how many Mexican nationals. Don't give me that crap Heri-- no way it's gonna fly.

As for the racist thing, I'll let that stand on its own merits. People see you for what you are.

o

Never forget Bill, President Obama has been a stellar Commander-in-Chief

YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT!!!!! What "stellar" CinC lets his men die in greater numbers than at ANY OTHER TIME IN EITHER WAR, while he sat ON HIS ASS FOR THREE MONTHS trying to decide if it was more politically viable to give them the support they needed, or bring everyone out of there?? Stellar commander in chief, my ass.

o

You've lost it Bil. Honest to God.

o

I am still missing Obama's "railing" against guns too. Again, I believe that he may be anti-gun, but he won't do anything about it (nor has he tried) because it is political suicide. He is too smart to take on that loser. People just let pro-gun websites and mailings work them into a frenzy of anti-Obama hate.

o

I don't see a need to "stock up" on anything. I think what we normally keep around should work just fine. It only takes one shot to stop an intruder. And it should only take one good shot to procure some meat. Of course, we can always save the ammunition and use bow and arrow to hunt with.

When you reload your own ammunition, you usually have enough supplies on hand that "stocking up", or "stockpiling" is not necessary.

I'm not quite sure what people are expecting, but I think stockpiling or overstocking is overkill. I'm pretty happy with the varied assortment of tools we have, each one serving a specific purpose, and I see no need to follow the loonies of doom by stockpiling anything.

If it only takes one shot to stop an intruder... one well-aimed shot... why would anyone need a gigantic stockpile of arms or ammunition?

o

Because it's the macho thing to do for the bandolier of Budweiser crowd - like wearing lots of camouflage to walk around Walmart pretending the trip wasn't to pick up a crock pot.

o

When you reload your own ammunition, you usually have enough supplies on hand that "stocking up", or "stockpiling" is not necessary.

During the big ammo shortage of 2009, you couldn't even get primers, and the gun nut rumor crowd was sure, SURE that Obama had something to do with it.

o

I gotta tell ya... I'm a lot more worried about global warming than I am about not having enough bullets.

How many armies do these nutcases think they're gonna mow down with the kind of rifles and shotguns available to the average purchaser?

But then, I guess Cabela's and Gander Mountain wouldn't have a consumer base if it weren't for the Camo Crowd, eh?

Gosh... what should I wear to WalMart? The RealTree, or the one that blends me into the desert?

Snort!

o

The ability of Rational Analysis of a situation for survival.

Their answer.... Buy as many guns and ammo as you can buy. Because Obama is coming to take the guns away. Hummm How many drones do they think they can take out. Now that is rational analysis of the situation.

o

As to the OP... I don't know why there's anything to panic about when it comes to firearms. So far, the only thing I've heard is that Obama has no plans to change any gun laws. That's all I know. Apparently, he doesn't see a need to change laws, only to enforce what we already have on the books. Sounds fair to me.

Well, since the President doesn't make the laws, it makes me shake my head that some people are in such a panic over his re-election, re their right to own guns.

This is for all of those people who either didn't take a civics class or failed it:

The Congress makes the laws. The administration enforces those laws.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Or, on a local/state basis: The legislature of the state makes the laws. Or the City Council makes the laws.

In any of these scenarios, the President has nothing to do with MAKING the laws which would affect whether anyone can buy, sell, or use firearms.

Again, why is that so difficult to understand?

o

bill, you are one of the most careless users of language on this forum sometimes.

No one has "railed" against guns. Check your dictionary. That some people have spoken against guns does not mean they are screaming and shouting and carrying on--which is more like what "railed" means.

Didn't you know that?

And as for your ridiculous definition of "racism," there is no dictionary that agrees with you. Doesn't that give you pause? You are not using the English language the ways the rest of the world does. No wonder it is so hard to communicate with you.

OK-for the record (and check your dictionary also), "racism" refers to language, attitudes, behaviors that are intended to "put down" black people (or other racial minorities). It is language that belittles or demeans another group based on their perceived racial background. It is language that states or implies that blacks and other racial groups are inferior or second-class citizens because of their race.

Your definition is that simply stating what race someone is is an example of "racism"--and that is totally ridiculous. Many references to race are totally neutral.

You made up your definition of "racism" so that you could so "cleverly" turn the tables on anyone who (as you perceived) stated or implied you were racist. I guess that comes from that bumper-sticker mentality encouraged by your NRA buddies. Well, there is nothing "clever" or insightful about such statements. They make the speaker look slightly ridiculous or not too bright--or maybe just "bull-headed," as my mother would have phrased it. At any rate, your use of the word is INCORRECT--which is why we don't get your point and you don't get our point--but that seems to be all right with you since you have no desire to check a dictionary and start using your favorite words correctly.

Kate

o

I looked around on Google for articles on the great ammo shortage of 2009.

Snipped from a Nov. 2009 WaPo article... "in the 12 months since last October, gun shops sold enough bullets to give every American 38 of them.

"We've had people buy ammunition for calibers they don't even have the gun for: 'Oh, I want to get this gun eventually. And when I get it, ammunition may be hard to get.'"

Hope someone is enjoying my allotment of 38; all neatly stored in the latest prepper trend, shipping containers. Do these people have to "dispatch" the backhoe operator upon completion of the backyard burial? The left-over container sized mountain of dirt not being a location giveaway? I mean, as Bart Simpson so wisely said, "the hole's only natural enemy is the pile."

o

No one has "railed" against guns. Check your dictionary. That some people have spoken against guns does not mean they are screaming and shouting and carrying on--which is more like what "railed" means.

Didn't you know that?

DAHHHH, no. I tawy.

And as for your ridiculous definition of "racism," there is no dictionary that agrees with you. Doesn't that give you pause?

Not even for a split second. if you see everything in terms of race, I don't care what the reason or back ground. That's racism, plain and simple. To think otherwise is completely ignorant.

This is for all of those people who either didn't take a civics class or failed it:

The Congress makes the laws. The administration enforces those laws.

And yet, Obama gets the credit for the Health Care Act. Maybe it was the literal arm twisting he was doing. Also ever hear of something called executive order? Also, as I said before, look at the cabinet he brought on. You're going to tell me Obama has no influence on the gun laws if he so decides? Try again.

I am still missing Obama's "railing" against guns too. Again, I believe that he may be anti-gun, but he won't do anything about it (nor has he tried) because it is political suicide.

And that's exactly what's kept him in check the last 4 years. If he wins in November, he won't have to worry about that any more, and it's not just the 2nd amendment I'm worried about.

You've lost it Bil. Honest to God.

hey Heri, trying to rewrite history? Again? You trying to tell me that didn't happen when he first took office? If so, I'll tell you you're full of it.

o

If he wins in November, he won't have to worry about that any more, and it's not just the 2nd amendment I'm worried about.

That's every statement about Obama - he can't be elected again so NOW HE CAN DO WHAT HE REALLY WANTS TO DO.

There is a whole body of Congress standing between him and a new law. I expect the Republicans to retain control of the House. You're not gonna lose your guns.

o

A rational analysis of the situation would actually be... if I buy all these guns, there will be a record, a paper trail. And since most people deal in credit or debit, and not so much in cash, it's a paper trail that wouldn't be too difficult to follow. (Some of it might be dependent upon your state's individual laws.)

But of course the President doesn't "make the laws"... it just shows how ludicrous the whole discussion is, that Obama is somehow coming to take away everyone's guns!

So far, I haven't heard anything about our 2nd Amendment being dropped from the Constitution, so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

o

There is a whole body of Congress standing between him and a new law. I expect the Republicans to retain control of the House. You're not gonna lose your guns.

You think so? He's already started on the REST of the BoR. Like I said, it's not just the guns I'm worried about.

if I buy all these guns, there will be a record, a paper trail. And since most people deal in credit or debit, and not so much in cash, it's a paper trail that wouldn't be too difficult to follow.

Which is why alot of people I know are buying atleast some of their guns 2nd hand thru the classifieds.

So far, I haven't heard anything about our 2nd Amendment being dropped from the Constitution, so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

He's already hit several other amendments. Don't think he won't hit it, as well as the rest of the BoR. This painting seriously scares me:

Photobucket

o

This painting seriously scares me

Duh, it was meant to!

The idea of Romney taking us to war with Iran scares me too - those people could fire missiles on the US itself, not just our troops. If that happens you won't even be thinking about the Bill of Rights! I wonder if there's a painting out there depicting that to scare me ...?

o

if you see everything in terms of race, I don't care what the reason or back ground. That's racism, plain and simple. To think otherwise is completely ignorant.

Bill, you will not find a language expert anywhere that say that constitutes a definition of "racism." Let's face it--you don't know what you are talking about. So folks, the next time he accuses YOU of being "racist," just remember that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

As for your theory (and pic) of President Obama burning up the Constitution, bill, you are seriously receding into Paranoia-land. And I mean "seriously." It's kind of spooky to hear a grown man, supposedly in full possession of his senses, spout such crazy talk.

Kate

o

Here, Kate. read these links, and then tell me I'm in paranoia land. Of course, you will, because you can't see anything Obama does wrong. He's tearing the Constitution to shreds right in front of you and it doesn't even phase you.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-inauguration-of-police-state-usa-2012-obama-signs-the-national-defense-authorization-act/

http://rt.com/usa/news/trespass-bill-obama-secret-227/

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/30/leon_panettas_explicitly_authoritarian_decree/

http://www.infowars.com/national-weather-service-follows-dhs-in-huge-ammo-purchase/

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-rules-make-it-easier-for-atf-to-seize-guns-without-due-process

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=448582218498353&set=a.340883662601543.77752.231807496842494&type=1

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2012/012012/01192012/677418

The idea of Romney taking us to war with Iran scares me too

And you think Obama won't???

o

The idea of Romney taking us to war with Iran scares me too

And you think Obama won't???

I would never say never, but I think it is a lot less likely. A lot.

Look at how he handled the embassy attack in Libya. Riots are calming, the local governments are dealing with it. We sent some troops, but we didn't get all hot headed and pop off a few rounds. There has been no additional loss of American lives and the US looks like the "mature one" here.

o

Did you see the 60 minutes interview tonight? I wouldn't be so sure about Obama and no military action against Iran.

o

Oh yeah-- just for notto-- this is my sister in law-- she's in her mid sixties, and scored this elk this weekend:

Photobucket

So much for women not knowing how to use a gun.

o

Yep, she can shoot one, but can she drag it to the car? ;)

I did not see the interview. How do you think he has handled the Libya situation since the Ambassador was killed? How do you think Romney would have handled it if he had been President at the time?

o

He handled it fine, although I'm surprised he didn't put a stop to the rumor mill as to the cause before he did. As for Romney, I would hope he would've done fine, too.

o

Someones granny.

o

Esh, that's why you'd want to field dress an animal that large... so there's a lot less to drag to the vehicle. ;-)

Still, that's a very large rack, and will not only require a large vehicle to move it, but also a large wall to display it on.

The photo makes me wonder whether we're sport hunting, here... or making use of the animal out of respect for the life it gave...

But never mind that... I'm still a little confused as I haven't heard anyone ranting about 2nd Amendment rights in a while... and I'm sitting right in the midst of a farming/hunting community.

o

The photo makes me wonder whether we're sport hunting, here... or making use of the animal out of respect for the life it gave...

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words jodik. That picture really disturbed me last night. I didn't say anything because I was sure it wouldn't come out right and I'd piss people off.

While I do not like guns and will never own one and I could never shoot an animal, I totally understand hunting for food. I don't understand hunting for fun or sport. I don't understand killing an animal for the fun of it. How can killing something be fun?

Sorry off topic I know. That picture just really bothered me.

o

This morning there were so many customers at a local gun shop that I had to park down the road from the business.

Hunting, Bow Hunting, Fishing Ice Fishing, Sport Shooting and related spending are excellent for our local economy.

The poor economy is bad news for animals and fish as hunting and fishing hobbies have an inelastic demand.

Unemployed and under-employed people have more time to hunt and fish, plus many are taking more fish and game since they could use the additional food to offset their lack of income.

Speaking of trophy hunting, the Taxidermist I use for fish mounts has an unusually large number of Black Bears taken during the early bow season.

I'm having a Northern Pike mounted for a cousin's kid, but he told me it would take longer than usual as he's swamped with fish and game mounts,

He also raised his rates from $15 to $18 per inch for fish which makes very long fish like Pike quite expensive.

o

Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 10:31

So I guess the NRA and gun manufacturers and dealers are contributing big money to the Obama re-election campaign?

o

Bill, using the language of political rant and rave, answers the charge of "entering Paranoia-Land":
. . . people remember how he RAILED against firearms during his first campaign, until he realized he was alienating quite a large chunk of his own constituency. He's not going to have anything to stop him after November. Just look at the company he keeps-- two of the biggest "anti-gunners" in the country, both hand picked by him-- Holder and Emmanuel. Don't tell me it's paranoia.

Nevermind that nothing in that statement constitutes evidence that Obama's administration is persecuting or even planning to persecute gun-owners. However, when challenged on his use of "railed"--as in Obama "railing" against the 2nd Amendment in some way--Bill then changed his tactics several times.

His next stage of arguments were based on a deliberately scarey picture of Obama burning the Constitution. I mean, could they possibly have made Obama look more dangerous and evil? That was followed by a whole bunch of links, mostly to questionable sources of rightwing paranoia and propaganda--which Bill accepts without question as 100% legit. The charge made here is that Obama is destroying America and I, personally, am just standing by indifferently letting him do it.

I'm not going through all of the links--would make this post much too long--but here is a sample:

Bill argues that Obama is the prime villain threatening the American constitution. Now some of the issues raised below are of concern, and liberals on this forum have raised some serious questions about them (Bill however likes to imply that only arch-conservatives of his ilk are concerned about such matters and that is why they are targeting Obama as the main danger to America).

In the Salon article (the only legit source cited in his entire list), Bill objects to the "due-process free assassinations" bill and holds Obama responsible for it since Obama wants to burn the Constitution. However, the Salon article clearly states that

Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, and Michele Bachmann ...applaud President Obama for assassinating U.S. citizen Anwar Awlaki (just as Rick Perry, Dick and Liz Cheney, and Bill Kristol had done). . Well, my goodness, since all those prominent Republicans are in favor of it, no wonder Bill is putting the whole blame on Obama. Yup, Obama but not the Republicans is the great danger to fear. (sarcasm, for the tone-deaf).

Ok--let's try another of Bill's sources about Obama signing the National Defense Authorization Bill--cited as another examples of Obama again burning up the Constitution. Bill ignores the fact that the Republican-dominated House passed the bill by a majority and so did the Senate which is nearly half Republican and would need at least some of their votes to pass the bill. But with all those people supporting and passing that bill, only Obama poses a danger to the Constitution! (yeah, sure)

And the President is the danger despite his statement, as follows:
"Moreover, I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens. Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation. My Administration will interpret section 1021 in a manner that ensures that any detention it authorizes complies with the Constitution, the laws of war, and all other applicable law."

Bill then argues that that statement is somehow "proof" that Obama means the exact opposite of what he said. How do we know that? Because (according to the article) Obama is responsible for the "demise of Am. Republic" and "the establishment of a totalitarian State" .

Well, let's look at a couple more of his refutations. Bill also objects to what some call the Trespass Bill--not completely without reason, I might add--but then puts the full charge on Obama's head as somehow the evil architect and enforcer. Of course, his (questionable) source directly states that H.R. 347, the Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011, had overwhelmingly passed the US House of Representatives after only three lawmakers voted against it. Since the House is overwhelmingly Republican, that means the Republicans passed the bill, but of course the Senate also must pass it before it can get to Obama's desk. So it is really clear why Obama is the ultimate danger in Washington, forcing everybody to do his will. (like, get real!)

There were a few other links of the same character, but I really must stop and look at the ultimate atrocity President Obama is enacting on America--mosquito robots! Yes, they are buzzing around and sampling your DNA for Obama's secret files on all citizens of this country! Hey, there is even a cool picture of the robot insect--check out the link. Only one problem--this is an "urban legend," according to Snopes--but Bill bit--hook, line, and sinker.

All I can say to this barage of Bill links is that they pretty much support my earlier contention that you are in danger of receding seriously into Paranoia-land. Hundreds of lawmakers, including Republican majorities, pass these bills, but somehow they do not pose a serious danger to the American constitution--only President Obama is the constitutional danger. He is somehow the origin and promulgator of it all! No wonder you fear him, but not all those Republicans (including Romney) who actually agree with him on much of these matters.

The irony is that there are some serious issues Bill raises indirectly (if you can manage to wade through all his links) that could be profitly debated on our forum. But raving and ranting against Obama is not the way to do that and just makes you sound like you are out to get Obama no matter what cuz you think he is out to get us!

Enough--I've wasted enough time this morning on this nonsense--no serious discussions here of the issues covered in the links, and certainly no attention to what the other side might argue on these matters.

By the way, bill, I never challenged you on any of this stuff, but only on your mis-use of words like "rail" and "racism." Interesting how such a limited criticism unleased this torrent of ravings and dumped them directly on my head--stating that I am responsible for not stopping Obama from committing these atrocities. Gone a bit over-board there, have we?

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosquito robot spy on Americans

o

I just finished writing a book to rival your own.... and then deleted it. I figure, why bother.

o

if you deleted it , then what is the purpose of telling us?

o

Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 19:37

Well, she didn't shoot that elk in Maine, since there aren't any wild elk left in Maine.

I sure hope that's not a wildlife farm, where the animals are basically sitting ducks? That's so much worse than going out into the wild and shooting for sport.

Will she be eating the elk?

o

It's out in Utah, it's not on a farm, and yes, they shoot an elk every year, and it gets shared with the whole family.

o

In this part of the country, a significant portion of the population gets their meat by hunting elk and deer - a whole extended family will put in for licenses, which are done by lottery drawings, and it isn't uncommon to have a family with 4 - 6 elk licenses and 12 -18 deer licenses, and they fill them all. And if your neighbor missed his tag/season and they need the meat, you'll help them out with one of yours.

They used to close the public schools for the two days before the first elk season when everyone was headed out to their hunting camps, because nobody would be in school anyway. Called "Elk Days".

o

The talk of sport and the use of animals remind me of going to a Bull Fight in Mexico. They did say that they did use the meat but it bothered me the rest of my vacation.

o

marquest I am with you . In my view it is irrelevant that they use the meat of the bull after the bull fight as the animal has been put through such torment before its death.
I eat meat. Therefore I am not against hunting if the animal killed os needed for food.
I personally do not enjoy seeing pics of hunters sitting , grinning, on top of their "score".

o

Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 21:17

Good. Thanks Bill

I had elk meat in Alaska, it was good. Tastes nothing like chicken!

o

Then don't look.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 23:46

So, if you are recommending this method then it means from now on you won't be responding to anything you find disturbing either, but will instead look away?

o

Elk is really, really delicious. Bill, I hope you get to share some of the meat.

o

" Rush Limbaugh again claimed that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Operation Fast and Furious was hatched as an Obama administration plot to disarm Americans.

Limbaugh's baseless claim was refuted by a report onthe failed gun trafficking sting released by the Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General on Wednesday. The DOJ watchdog found "no evidence" that the agents involved in Fast and Furious had "improper motives" and that the goal of the operation was "dismantling a dangerous firearms trafficking organization."

and I liked this comment aimed at Rush Limbaugh:

"Gee Fat B__tard, let's try a new approach...something never done before.....scare the sh1t out of gun owners and get them mad. Tell them "they're takin er guns. ya know the guns yer gonna to be needin when dem riots start and dem people come to rob us and rape our women folk".

Please stop listening to Rush Limbaugh, watching the FoxBox and visiting extremist/survivalist/Obama hating web sites.

"Elk is really, really delicious. "

Sarah! Thank you for chiming in!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rush Limbaugh Continues To Push Debunked Obama Gun Grab Conspiracy

o

They used to close the public schools for the two days before the first elk season when everyone was headed out to their hunting camps, because nobody would be in school anyway. Called "Elk Days".

In some smaller rural high schools, they used to close opening days of northern and southern deer hunting season.

Many mills and tanneries used to shut down on opening days of deer seasons as well.

Even now, many deer hunters request layoffs or time off during deer hunting and salmon season.

We have many former employees that have quit since they coundn't get days/weeks off during hunting and salmon season.

We've stopped using many subs and stopped giving referrals to many tradesmen since they're hunting or salmon fishing during our busiest time of the year.

o

The DOJ watchdog found "no evidence" that the agents involved in Fast and Furious had "improper motives" and that the goal of the operation was "dismantling a dangerous firearms trafficking organization."

Thanks to a little help from their friends, called executive priveledge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here