Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ho hum 920 Million

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 11:01

JP wants the eyes off it's bidness so we'll give you $920 Million to just go away already! (How much have they paid out this year already)?
If Mr Dimon went to Washington the same bipartisan group of fawning fat heads would be there to kiss his posterior & apologize for the inconvenience!
Still it's better than what some folks were saying only $500 to $600 Million.

In the end

"JPMorgan failed to keep watch over its traders as they overvalued a very complex portfolio to hide massive losses," George S. Canellos, co-director of the SEC's Division of Enforcement, said in the statement. "JPMorgan's senior management broke a cardinal rule of corporate governance and deprived its board of critical information it needed to fully assess the company's problems and determine whether accurate and reliable information was being disclosed to investors and regulators"

Here is a link that might be useful: spank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ho hum 920 Million

January 16, 2013
JPMORGAN CHASE REPORTS FOURTH-QUARTER 2012 NET INCOME OF $5.7 BILLION, OR $1.39 PER SHARE, ON REVENUE 1 OF $24.4 BILLION
THIRD CONSECUTIVE YEAR OF RECORD NET INCOME AND 15% RETURN ON TANGIBLE COMMON EQUITY1

FULL-YEAR 2012 RECORD NET INCOME OF $21.3 BILLION,
OR RECORD $5.20 PER SHARE, ON REVENUE1 OF $99.9 BILLION

o

And Haliburton pled guilty to destroying evidence, paid $200,000 as a fine, $25 million donation to the wild life fund.

Houston-based Halliburton reported Monday that total revenue for the second quarter of 2013 was a company record of $7.3 billion, compared with $7 billion for the first quarter of the year. Halliburton’s operating income climbed to $1 billion in the second quarter from $902 million in the first quarter of the year, adjusted for the Macondo litigation charge.

Ouch. Like that must have really stung.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 15:48

Probably made 'em want to go shoot somebody.

o

Over what was tantamount to walking around money? Unlikely. Sound like bonus time for getting off easy.

o

Here's hoping. From labrea's link:

The settlement resolves claims by the SEC, the U.S. Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Reserve and the U.K. Financial Conduct Authority. The Justice Department and Commodity Futures Trading Commission are among agencies still investigating the trading loss at the CIO, a unit of the New York-based bank that was supposed to help reduce risk and manage excess deposits. JPMorgan said today it was notified by the CFTC that its staff intends to recommend enforcement action. [ . . . ]

‘Open-Ended’ Cost

The cost for the bank is still “open-ended,” said Charles Peabody, an analyst at Portales Partners LLC in New York. Investors want some clarity on the seriousness of the criminal probe, he said. “I’m not sure that these settlements will conclude anything because you still have the CFTC, the DOJ and state AGs investigating.”

o

That's why I fear that the near financial meltdown was only the warning sign of what is to come without great change.

My big gripe with the man I voted for - the one who DID manage to us off the edge of the cliff despite doing what most conservatives still gripe about - is that he didnt go nearly far enough in his efforts to attempt to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. What will it take for real strength and real teeth in legislation proposals to curb the out of control greed?
Our President who should have proposed them and all of congress who should also have proposed them, has failed us.
From that time of crises, too many who were already well off ended up better off and too many who had enjoyed a middle class life are now still without a job or are facing the reality that they will never again have the middle class lifestyle they worked so hard to reach. Too many who had their retirements in place, saved and sacrificed for, ended up with nothing at all and now dependent upon taxpayers and family for a roof over their head. While those who ran the companies into the ground and then sold out and ended up as millionaires, after raiding the retirement funds.
I will admit, if our President actually had gone after legislation to prevent these sorts of things from happening, those with real money and those conservatives in power would have done anything necessary to stop him. He and most conservatives and democrats in power proved they have an interest in keeping things as they are, too. Are they doing the bidding of their people as well as protecting their own personal interests?

I say, same on them all. Perhaps, shame on us all.
The rest of us will suffer the consequences, including those who laughed and sneered at Occupy which took place around the world, attempting change via a non-violent route. Along with those who are financially comfortable but nowhere near the 1% top wealthiest.

If the meltdown happens again, or if we get close to a meltdown again, those who "have" - even if obtained by the most innocent means possible, might have reason to be frightened for themselves, family and possessions. The reaction of sneering and laughing to Occupy and the lack of results from the non violent means assumed by the movement have been clearly demonstrated.
It didnt work.
If this happens again, those with hatches should get behind them and batten them down.
Why is it that history's lessons are so easily ignored, even when there are those trying to remind us?
They are laughed and ignored, too.
It will be one time when I will be happy that I don't appear to have excess.
But who knows? The idea of "excess" is very subjective. A homeless person, especially one who has children, might consider us wealthy beyond their dreams.

Our city just passed legislation a day ago severely limiting the areas where the homeless can and cannot ask for money.

o

mylab: "He and most conservatives and democrats in power proved they have an interest in keeping things as they are, too. Are they doing the bidding of their people as well as protecting their own personal interests? "

Obama is a politician. Just like the rest of them. No different. Bought and paid for. They all wear contacts to hide the dollar signs on their eyeballs.

o

920 million is probably worth more than the taxes of the "47%" combined (if they were to pay taxes).

o

JPMorgan ordered to refund $309 million over "unfair" credit card billing.
Not a good day for them time for layoffs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here