Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The 'liberal' media

Posted by campanula UK Cambridge (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 11:10

This phrase comes up again and again....without a single shred of evidence to show how or why the 'meedja' is supposedly so left-wing. Happens in the UK too where the BBC is percieved as practically revolutionary. How has this bizarre thinking come about? Is it because of a percieved 'artiness? Do a lot of journos have beards and wear badly knitted woollies? Ride bikes to work? And hey, the bile over the 'mickey-mouse degrees' such as media studies.
As far as I can see (not that far admittedly) the 'media' consists of some of the most nakedly rabid capitalist icons of the 21C. Chief graspers and bullies being the likes of the Murdoch family, going right on down to the ghastly celebrity mags which keep the mouth breathers sedated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The 'liberal' media

"As far as I can see (not that far admittedly) the 'media' consists of some of the most nakedly rabid capitalist icons of the 21C. Chief graspers and bullies being the likes of the Murdoch family, going right on down to the ghastly celebrity mags which keep the mouth breathers sedated."

That about covers it, I think.

A "liberal" media outlet would be one that actually reports the news, or current happenings, without adding their own slant or twisting the context in any way. Egads, the horror!

o

What you see is the Fox News viewers experience is so bias that they think that is what should be shown on Network TV. Network tv in America are 3 basic free channels that are not part of paid cable channels.

Liberal reporting is "Reporting actually events" as they happen, and what is said without commentary to the left or right.

So it is Liberal media, Conservative is limited every thing. That includes information. When you get limited information without question then you will get a Liberal in a conservative mind news reporting.

The sad thing is the Conservative do not realize that Conservative news is not informative because just as Conservative is limited government, Conservative News would be limited information.

So if you think about it of course you would not like a Liberal News informing your people you do not want them SMART you want them to receive limited info so your message is the only news. Filtered to only that view. That would be communist/conservative news.

This is my opinion. I would like to hear why Conservative think the media should not report when Obama says something off the wall and when Romney says something off the wall. Equal stumbles reported.

o

Being subjective, you're going to get an argument both ways. But, how does my individual brain process what is being presented without being colored by political party affiliation?

I suspect most (obviously not all) news people are Democrats. I listen to Matthews, Schultz, Maddow, & O'Donnell and, even when they editorialize, it fits with my Democratic mindset and I process what what they are telling me as being closest to what I believe is true.

o

duluthinbloomz4, the people you named are not the news media. They are not Nightly News Network TV reporters. They are all Liberal Political Cable News commentators just as Fox News have their Conservative Political Cable News commentators.

When the Republican Candidates specifically Newt screamed Liberal Media he was upset that his ex-wife was given air time to give her take on him asking for a divorce while she was going through cancer treatment.

I did not see that as slanted Liberal reporting. They also reported John Edwards affair when his wife was suffering from Cancer. I did not scream that it was Conservative media reporting. Both of these news items were reported on Free Network News Channels.

When Network News Report what is happening day to day they report all the good, the bad, and the ugly. It is not Liberal media reporting in the sense of what Conservatives are wailing about.

o

What you see is the Fox News viewers experience is so bias that they think that is what should be shown on Network TV. Network tv in America are 3 basic free channels that are not part of paid cable channels.

As an example, recently FOX News showed a photo of President Obama seated, conversing with some character in a pirate outfit. All the while, the FOX commentator was criticizing the President for not having time to personally meet Benjamin Netanyahu because of a busy schedule.

Turns out the pirate character episode was three years old. But the rapture crowd still likes to mindlessly repeat the 'liberal media' mantra and some accept and believe it. Look the Birther Party has been highly successful at divide and conquer.

Romney has his 47% problems, Obama has his 30% problems. I wrote off those 30%-ers AND those faux Independents long time ago.

-Ron-

o

I would agree, Marquest... and I would add that I don't want a filter on my news. I don't want some biased commentator stuffing their own opinions down my throat. I'd like to hear the facts... just the facts... and then be free to form my own opinions on what I just viewed. I don't need to be told how to view a news story.

There's a marked difference between reporting the facts, and commentating on them.

I'd like just the facts. I'm fully able to form my own opinions, thanks.

o

At the link is a pretty good example of what goes on the media today - we have Ted Koppel - generally recognized as a TV journalist, being interrupted interviewed by Bill O'Reilly of FOX cable news, generally recognized as a ... well, you fill in the blank.

Wait for the very end, where Ted blows him a kiss-off

Here is a link that might be useful: link to utube

o

Here is my take on the Media-it is about money-news is a business and they will slant the news to make the most 'sexy' story out of it in order to keep it spinning and keep people viewing-that is the primary impetus behind news in general. If you accidentally gets some facts then good for you.

o

Oh David I could not believe he said he believes he is doing something noble......that kiss off was a howl.

patriciae exactly. They do not care if it is Conservative, Liberal or even the Weather. We have one station that calls itself the Severe Weather station. If we are having a Spring rain shower he reports it as if it is a hurricane followed by a tornado.

o

Loved the kiss off. OReilly is a POS. I only see him at the gym but I am so amazed always how completely biased Fox is..all of the commentators. The ditzy blonde babes, all interchangeable, the sarcastic Laura Ingram, and Dick Morris who loved to suck the toes of whores. I watch regular news at 6:30 and then get my lefty fix from Rachael, Lawrence, and Ed.

If I were a prisoner, the way they could get me to kill myself is have me in a cell with Fox blaring 24/7. I won't even have Hannity's theme song come on my car radio before I switch stations. I haven't heard his actual voice in four years, but I will turn the show on on November 7th and Rush's as well.

o

How did this come about?

It's a rhetorical manipulative trick. Shifting perception while so far out on the rightwing makes you look less extreme. The next step would be declaring themselves the norm... oh, wait. They're already at it.

o

Hey... 'if it bleeds, it leads'. What does that little turn of phrase indicate? That the media is more interested in ratings and money. Period. Would plenty of news outlets bend the truth or twist context to gain viewers or make the news out to be sensational? Of course.

o

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans' distrust in the media hit a new high this year, with 60% saying they have little or no trust in the mass media to report the news fully, accurately, and fairly. Distrust is up from the past few years, when Americans were already more negative about the media than they had been in years prior to 2004.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

For me, the difference is very plain. I don't listen/watch conservative media unless I'm desperate for a laugh. It's great fiction.

It seems that when conservatives watch/listen to MSM, it's because they want to be outraged. Anyone who reports on something conservatives don't agree with is part of the "liberal media." Even that's funny.

It's not that the media can't be trusted, it's that we have to spend a bit of time learning what really going on. It's not hard, but if someone is invested in a point of view, then accepting what their favorite media source says is all they need.

o

Here is some information from MsK's link:

This year's decline in media trust is driven by independents and Republicans. The 31% and 26%, respectively, who express a great deal or fair amount of trust are record lows and are down significantly from last year. Republicans' level of trust this year is similar to what they expressed in the fall of 2008, implying that they are especially critical of election coverage.

Independents are sharply more negative compared with 2008, suggesting the group that is most closely divided between President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney is quite dissatisfied with its ability to get fair and accurate news coverage of this election.

More broadly, Republicans continue to express the least trust in the media, while Democrats express the most. Independents' trust fell below the majority level in 2004 and has continued to steadily decline.

o

It's a lot easier to trash ideas when you can say they come from a part of society we are under no obligation to listen to. Then, you don't even have to think - it was in the liberal press, therefore it is wrong.

o

"Liberal Media" is mostly a myth perpetuated by Republicans/right-wingers who need to have a convenient excuse on hand to explain the inexplicable--namely, that it is ever possible for the Republicans to lose an election unless they have been subjected to unfair tactics--a liberal media bent on undermining Republicans is one unfair tactic. Another one is women, minorities, and the educated "elites" being allowed to vote in such large numbers for the Democratic candidates.

The Repubs. are already dragging out the Liberal Media card (again) since Romney/Ryan are not doing well in the current campaign. Some posters here, just the other day, definitively stated that Romney/Ryan can't win because the liberal media is against them.

See what I mean? Convenient excuse!

Kate

o

How has this come about?

Competition.

There was a time when the "establishment" media always had the last word. Walter Cronkite's sign-off, "And that's the way it is" is archaic in a world with 24 hour news channels and instant internet connections. We can reach people and multiple sources of information from around the world with the click of a mouse.

The MSM reports whatever it likes, any way it likes, and spins as it pleases. Fox news, the new kid on the block, gets to do the same.

Over time people quite naturally note differences between sources because they can compare what information is prioritized and emphasized. People can evaluate differences in reports, errors, accuracy and omissions.

People decide for themselves where to put their trust. That is called freedom, and individual freedom to choose what and whom to believe is essential to preserving it.

I can't imagine going back to the days when the establishment media had no competition. Today consumers have options the old media can't control. How cool is that?

o

Right wingers decided years ago that it was interests to present themselves as victims of the "liberal" media which they own. It's a cute idea, but you have to be really, really, really stupid to buy it.

o

Well said Nik.

Nancy, your post made the distrust more clear.
More broadly, Republicans continue to express the least trust in the media, while Democrats express the most. Independents' trust fell below the majority level in 2004 and has continued to steadily decline.
The truth is in the pudding.
We have had this discussion before.
We tend to lean toward and choose a favorite for the content that is slanted with our beliefs.

Republicans dislike MSM.
Democrats like and not distrustful of MSM.

The MSM has more liberal employees, liberal writers
and editors than they have Conservatives.

If I was going to hire someone on my team I would also
hire a like minded co-worker.

o

Citywoman, I believe we are talking about the media in general, not MSM in particular.

o

The media outlets are owned and largely run by conservatives. That is the irony!

In fact, all the way down to the editor, the employee is likely to be conservative. It is only at the lower levels--the actual reporters--that liberals make their presence known.

Very odd situation, to say the least--but some of the above posts vastly over-estimate how much liberals "trust" the press. Simple truth is that lots of Americans of all persuasions are to some degree sceptical.

Kate

o

Ok, can we have it again ... since everyone is using the term "main stream media (MSM)", what is the definition of
that term?

Everyone's definition is welcome and I doubt they will all be the same.

o

To me, MSM is whatever reaches a mass audience. Could be newspapers, magazines, TV, and radio. Also not to be overlooked would be anyone with an internet connection putting out a blog.

o

Also - is there something that is NOT main stream media? Would that be NPR? What is ABC, CBS, NBC considered?

o

They'd all be included - they have an audience. Probably even have to include FaceBook and whatever other social "media" outlets that might exist.

o

So really, the MSM is everything? I remember Palin complaining about it as if it represented just part of the total media.

o

I think it pretty much is; so far nobody is correcting me. I don't know about someone in their basement with local cable access though.

o

The vernacular usage of "MSM" is everything other than FOX cable news and right wing talk radio.

Used almost exclusively by the people who watch FOX and listen to right wing talk radio.

o

I can only speak for the US media of course, but I find that the general bias of all the TV outlets (one still finds occasional integrity in print and radio) is towards lazy and incompetent journalism.

I see no difference in the conservative or liberal media in this regard.

However, the difference I do see is that the so-called liberal or mainstream media has enough residual shame to occasionally call themselves out for this amongst each other, whereas the conservative media appears to be proud of its journalistic mediocrity.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 17:18

>whereas the conservative media appears to be proud of its journalistic mediocrity<

Cue Roman marching music.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here